Nashville Golf & Athletic or Vanderbilt Legends Club

kobe123

Hey all,

In a predicament and want to see what you would do. I'm looking to join a club here is the details:

**NGAC**: Initiation $4000 can be broken out into 4 yearly payments or pay at once and get 4 months of monthly fees free:

Monthly fee: $260 after taxes, no minimums, $20 for a cart. 18 holes, holds a Korn Ferry Tour, decent practice area.

Legends: Initiation: $4000 paid up front, $350 after taxes a month. 36 holes, par 3 course, and better practice facility. $20 for a cart, no minimums.

Both take 30-45 minutes to get to after work or 20 minutes on the weekend with no traffic.

I live in Franklin, though I am not a member at either I do play legends often, because my father in law is a member. I've not played NGAC in a many years, but my brother in law plays it often with a friend who is a member, and says its a good, tough, track. . If you are worried about traffic, then I'd say go with NGAC, since its almost right off the interstate. It could take 15 min to get from the 65 to Legends at rush hour in Cool Springs some day. If you just want to play golf on a good course, and not the whole country club life, I'd join NGAC. Legends has 2 great courses, and practice facilities, but its a little too uptight for me.

I'm currently a member at NGAC. I think the conditions of the course leave a lot to be desired. This summer it has varied from so firm that you couldn't put a tee in the ground to so wet that balls would plug on the green despite it not raining recently. NGAC also allows public play via one of the tee time booking websites. So, all that said, I'd consider somewhere else.

> @bmrowe said:

> I'm currently a member at NGAC. I think the conditions of the course leave a lot to be desired. This summer it has varied from so firm that you couldn't put a tee in the ground to so wet that balls would plug on the green despite it not raining recently. NGAC also allows public play via one of the tee time booking websites. So, all that said, I'd consider somewhere else.

Yeah, I played there last week, played the front 9 starting at like 4:30pm. Needless to say, I was not impressed with the conditions. The course layout is nice, but the fairways were beat up and some of the greens weren't in good condition. I think I'd rather give my money elsewhere or just not get a membership.

I really like West Haven, but it's a haul

> @kobe123 said:

> > @bmrowe said:

> > I'm currently a member at NGAC. I think the conditions of the course leave a lot to be desired. This summer it has varied from so firm that you couldn't put a tee in the ground to so wet that balls would plug on the green despite it not raining recently. NGAC also allows public play via one of the tee time booking websites. So, all that said, I'd consider somewhere else.

>

> Yeah, I played there last week, played the front 9 starting at like 4:30pm. Needless to say, I was not impressed with the conditions. The course layout is nice, but the fairways were beat up and some of the greens weren't in good condition. I think I'd rather give my money elsewhere or just not get a membership.

>

> I really like West Haven, but it's a haul

I haven't played Temple Hills, but know that its on the cheaper end as another option. Legends is likely your best bet regardless.

> @kobe123 said:

> > @J4Camp said:

> > Have you looked at Old Natchez? I think they had one of the more affordable memberships in the area. I do not like the layout of NGAC, but that is just me.

>

> It's over 400 a month after taxes.

Sorry, I should have said junior executive. Little cheaper for folks under 35 I believe.

> @swancer said:

> You should take into consideration the possibility/rumors about Legends selling one of their 18’s to a developer Looking to build a medical complex. I keep hearing it from quality sources so there may be some truth to it.

I hope this isn't true. If they did sell, they would have to reduce the number of members. It's way too many for only one course.

> @J4Camp said:

> > @kobe123 said:

> > > @J4Camp said:

> > > Have you looked at Old Natchez? I think they had one of the more affordable memberships in the area. I do not like the layout of NGAC, but that is just me.

> >

> > It's over 400 a month after taxes.

>

> Sorry, I should have said junior executive. Little cheaper for folks under 35 I believe.

I am a junior and that's what I got quoted.

> @johnnylongball said:

> > @swancer said:

> > You should take into consideration the possibility/rumors about Legends selling one of their 18’s to a developer Looking to build a medical complex. I keep hearing it from quality sources so there may be some truth to it.

>

> I hope this isn't true. If they did sell, they would have to reduce the number of members. It's way too many for only one course.

I am sure many who are members there hope it doesn't as well. Nothing may ever come out of it, you never know.

> @swancer said:

> > @johnnylongball said:

> > > @swancer said:

> > > You should take into consideration the possibility/rumors about Legends selling one of their 18’s to a developer Looking to build a medical complex. I keep hearing it from quality sources so there may be some truth to it.

> >

> > I hope this isn't true. If they did sell, they would have to reduce the number of members. It's way too many for only one course.

>

> I am sure many who are members there hope it doesn't as well. Nothing may ever come out of it, you never know.

Talked to a member today, apparently that's been a rumor for quite some time.

> @kobe123 said:

> > @swancer said:

> > > @johnnylongball said:

> > > > @swancer said:

> > > > You should take into consideration the possibility/rumors about Legends selling one of their 18’s to a developer Looking to build a medical complex. I keep hearing it from quality sources so there may be some truth to it.

> > >

> > > I hope this isn't true. If they did sell, they would have to reduce the number of members. It's way too many for only one course.

> >

> > I am sure many who are members there hope it doesn't as well. Nothing may ever come out of it, you never know.

>

> Talked to a member today, apparently that's been a rumor for quite some time.

I think Mr. Ingram is wanting the Vandy Golf team pretty bad and may be trying to manipulate things to get it out to his place.

> @swancer said:

> > @kobe123 said:

> > > @swancer said:

> > > > @johnnylongball said:

> > > > > @swancer said:

> > > > > You should take into consideration the possibility/rumors about Legends selling one of their 18’s to a developer Looking to build a medical complex. I keep hearing it from quality sources so there may be some truth to it.

> > > >

> > > > I hope this isn't true. If they did sell, they would have to reduce the number of members. It's way too many for only one course.

> > >

> > > I am sure many who are members there hope it doesn't as well. Nothing may ever come out of it, you never know.

> >

> > Talked to a member today, apparently that's been a rumor for quite some time.

>

> I think Mr. Ingram is wanting the Vandy Golf team pretty bad and may be trying to manipulate things to get it out to his place.

What course does Ingram own?

> @kobe123 said:

> > @swancer said:

> > > @kobe123 said:

> > > > @swancer said:

> > > > > @johnnylongball said:

> > > > > > @swancer said:

> > > > > > You should take into consideration the possibility/rumors about Legends selling one of their 18’s to a developer Looking to build a medical complex. I keep hearing it from quality sources so there may be some truth to it.

> > > > >

> > > > > I hope this isn't true. If they did sell, they would have to reduce the number of members. It's way too many for only one course.

> > > >

> > > > I am sure many who are members there hope it doesn't as well. Nothing may ever come out of it, you never know.

> > >

> > > Talked to a member today, apparently that's been a rumor for quite some time.

> >

> > I think Mr. Ingram is wanting the Vandy Golf team pretty bad and may be trying to manipulate things to get it out to his place.

>

> What course does Ingram own?

He is president of Golf Club of TN.

> @swancer said:

> > @kobe123 said:

> > > @swancer said:

> > > > @kobe123 said:

> > > > > @swancer said:

> > > > > > @johnnylongball said:

> > > > > > > @swancer said:

> > > > > > > You should take into consideration the possibility/rumors about Legends selling one of their 18’s to a developer Looking to build a medical complex. I keep hearing it from quality sources so there may be some truth to it.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I hope this isn't true. If they did sell, they would have to reduce the number of members. It's way too many for only one course.

> > > > >

> > > > > I am sure many who are members there hope it doesn't as well. Nothing may ever come out of it, you never know.

> > > >

> > > > Talked to a member today, apparently that's been a rumor for quite some time.

> > >

> > > I think Mr. Ingram is wanting the Vandy Golf team pretty bad and may be trying to manipulate things to get it out to his place.

> >

> > What course does Ingram own?

>

> He is president of Golf Club of TN.

Favorite course in Nashville. Not sure the members would appreciate it, but I'd love that if I played for Vandy.

• Like 1

> @kobe123 said:

> > @bmrowe said:

> > I'm currently a member at NGAC. I think the conditions of the course leave a lot to be desired. This summer it has varied from so firm that you couldn't put a tee in the ground to so wet that balls would plug on the green despite it not raining recently. NGAC also allows public play via one of the tee time booking websites. So, all that said, I'd consider somewhere else.

>

> Yeah, I played there last week, played the front 9 starting at like 4:30pm. Needless to say, I was not impressed with the conditions. The course layout is nice, but the fairways were beat up and some of the greens weren't in good condition. I think I'd rather give my money elsewhere or just not get a membership.

>

> I really like West Haven, but it's a haul

Would stay away from Westhaven. They have been having trouble with the greens and are trying to decide what to do. They are bent, but too hot for bent in Franklin. If they go to bermuda with the slopes and contours it will be impossible to hold a green. They have to be mounded due to being in a flood plain.

I am not a member but play Legends frequently. Always in very good condition and the second course option is nice. NGAC is a good tough layout, but as someone said conditions can vary. Rumors are out there that the Legends property has gotten so valuable for commercial purposes, that Vanderbilt might sell the course. Vanderbilt and the members I know say that is not true and it is just rumor.

$4,000 for initiation is a good deal. Used to be more.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure where some are getting NGAC allows public access. I live in Hendersonville, but come down to play fairly regularly to play with some friends that are members at NGAC. Members with guests can't tee off until after 12pm and they have never mentioned the club offering any sort of access to general public.

> @SouthPawVol said:

> Not sure where some are getting NGAC allows public access. I live in Hendersonville, but come down to play fairly regularly to play with some friends that are members at NGAC. Members with guests can't tee off until after 12pm and they have never mentioned the club offering any sort of access to general public.

I know that boxgroove does it, and I think I've seen it on another site as well -- https://www.boxgroove.com/clubs/nashville-golf-athletic-club

• 2 months later...

I am a proud member of the Vanderbilt Legends Club. The club is not sold, it is not for sale, and VLC/OB/Troon are investing $1.75 million in a pavilion upgrade for our members and their guests without impacting our clubhouse facilities. Before I joined the Legends, I did the research and comparisons and played all of the other private clubs in the Franklin/Brentwood area.

The Facts that helped me make my decision to join the Legends:

Two 18 hole championship courses and the Little Course Par 3, so you can always play on tournament days. Both courses are always in great shape and our putting greens are the great all year round. Hands down, the best practice facilities in area. Outstanding Pro Shop staff (that can actually play and teach). Great members and golf groups for both men and women. Exceptional food service and wait staff. Tournament events and schedules get better every year.The Legends Club is the best golf club for golfers!I cannot leave enough positive comments about the Legends and I invite the 100+ golfers that I know and play with at the Legends to weigh in on this thread....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm looking into joining Legends as well. Not sure how you're getting $4k initiation? My quote is $8k and then $550 for an individual and like $670 for family. The monthly dues seem pretty steep to me. That's higher than Westhaven that is a full blown country club, not just golf. I suppose it's because they have two courses? Are membership rates typically negotiable?

• 1 month later...

There is a par 3 at Legends? How have I missed that? Where?

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS