2020 Yamaha irons

benno_r

For some reason, I just can't get enough of the 2020 RMX020 irons from Yamaha. See here:

[https://golf.yamaha.com/products/rmx_020_iron.html](https://golf.yamaha.com/products/rmx_020_iron.html "https://golf.yamaha.com/products/rmx_020_iron.html")

I have a set of 2012 Forged tourmodels which I love, but are too nice to use all the time, and these are the first set they have made since then that do it for me.

Any other Yamaha love out there?

Currently playing the 2009 Tourmodel V-Forged CB’s. Had the 2012’s non-Tour CB’s at one point. Up until 2013 (I think), they were Endo Japan forged before going to China.

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

> @95124hacker said:

> Currently playing the 2009 Tourmodel V-Forged CB’s. Had the 2012’s non-Tour CB’s at one point. Up until 2013 (I think), they were Endo Japan forged before going to China.

Yeah, that is a bit of a shame, but my day-to-day irons are c300 forged (also forged in China), and while not as pure as my Tourmodel CB's, they are very nice still.

the 2012 series were the best endo ever made for Yamaha , still biting my nails that I sold my set

A-Grind 10,5 - Veylix alpina 573 wildeye
Roddio Baffy - Veylix alpina 573 wildeye
Ryoma UT 21 & 24 - Veylix alpina 673
Epon AF-705 6-AW - Veylix alpina 673
Seven 52 - Veylix alpina 673
Seven 56/60- Steelfiber i95
Grindworks Plus One 380 Sakura edition - Dogatti PT135

Love Yamaha irons. Never tried anything post 2012 but they look great. Most JDM peeps do didn't like Yamaha changing from Inpres X to RMX.......

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

Just buy some of the older Yamaha irons from 2009 to 2013.

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

• 3 weeks later...

I keep coming back to Yamaha tour irons after trying everything else. Currently have the '15 RMX tour CB and the '18 blade. The '18 blade gets used 90% of the time its such a great all around club. Actually trying to find a good set of '12 tours as they seem to be the legendary year and model. The 2020 model looks a little busy with the stamping but the CB design of it actually looks great.

• 3 weeks later...

I would go for older Yamaha models but given the prices for JDM clubs I can’t see paying for Chinese forgings when there are so many JDM options that are forged in Japan.

Not to say there are not quality forgings (and quality counterfeiters) coming out of China but it is far more a consistency variable vs Japanese-forged heads. I don’t have a problem with Endo heads from their Thailand factory because they own the plant and control the process. But if I am getting Chinese heads, may as well buy a U.S. brand since they’re pretty much all produced in China and sometimes “assembled” in the U.S.

With heads forged in Japan, you know what you’re getting.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

> @dmeeksDC said:

> I would go for older Yamaha models but given the prices for JDM clubs I can’t see paying for Chinese forgings when there are so many JDM options that are forged in Japan.

>

> Not to say there are not quality forgings (and quality counterfeiters) coming out of China but it is far more a consistency variable vs Japanese-forged heads. I don’t have a problem with Endo heads from their Thailand factory because they own the plant and control the process. But if I am getting Chinese heads, may as well buy a U.S. brand since they’re pretty much all produced in China and sometimes “assembled” in the U.S.

>

> With heads forged in Japan, you know what you’re getting.

I know R&D people with various companies and have had this conversation. I'll tell you what i was told which makes perfect sense. They all pretty much said that where the head is forged is 100% meaningless. What determines quality is the OEM and the tolerances accepted in the forging process.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Well, I don’t doubt you because we all get told that. By who? The companies that moved the work to China. The “OEM still controls it” is the company line and they say that because they want to sell clubs. It’s not meaningless because the quality of Chinese manufacturing — in terms of meeting specs — is all over the map depending on the specific company and its daily standards, not the OEM’s design specs. Location might not matter if every forging house in China really did meet OEM standards on every clubhead, but that does not always happen when the OEM is not looking. There is a reason some new TaylorMade or Callaway drivers fall apart and some don’t. If they were built to spec, far less likely. There’s a reason every counterfeit club in the world made from knockoff steel comes from China.

I know a number of people in business who have gone to China for manufacturing and they give it mixed reviews. But they all say one thing — constant oversight required or specs may not be met. In bike frames, it is well-known that Taiwan has state of the art manufacturing plants and China cranks out cheap aluminum frames. They’re both bike frames but Chinese frames have the least quality control. The R&D people I talk to (and not just in golf) say you’d better watch every step with some Chinese manufacturers.

It’s a hypotethical vs real world debate. I am saying China definitely has both great manufacturing and it has cheap manufacturing made to look great. That is the manufacturing culture of the country. In Japan that culture is much different, far more a place where producing golf clubs is almost viewed as an art form.

Remember, no company would go to China if it was not so cheap and there are reasons it is so cheap. I don’t really care if it is U.S. clubs — they’re lower-priced because they’re made in China. But if I am paying for JDM, I want to know the forging was not contracted to a Chinese manufacturer. No need for me to pay top dollar for JDM quality and instead get the cheapest manufacturing in the world. No one can argue that Chinese manufacturing overall matches Japan in quality control and consistency.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

> @dmeeksDC said:

> Well, I don’t doubt you because we all get told that. By who? The companies that moved the work to China. The “OEM still controls it” is the company line and they say that because they want to sell clubs. It’s not meaningless because the quality of Chinese manufacturing — in terms of meeting specs — is all over the map depending on the specific company and its daily standards, not the OEM’s design specs. Location might not matter if every forging house in China really did meet OEM standards on every clubhead, but that does not always happen when the OEM is not looking. There is a reason some new TaylorMade or Callaway drivers fall apart and some don’t. If they were built to spec, far less likely. There’s a reason every counterfeit club in the world made from knockoff steel comes from China.

>

> I know a number of people in business who have gone to China for manufacturing and they give it mixed reviews. But they all say one thing — constant oversight required or specs may not be met. In bike frames, it is well-known that Taiwan has state of the art manufacturing plants and China cranks out cheap aluminum frames. They’re both bike frames but Chinese frames have the least quality control. The R&D people I talk to (and not just in golf) say you’d better watch every step with some Chinese manufacturers.

>

> It’s a hypotethical vs real world debate. I am saying China definitely has both great manufacturing and it has cheap manufacturing made to look great. That is the manufacturing culture of the country. In Japan that culture is much different, far more a place where producing golf clubs is almost viewed as an art form.

>

> Remember, no company would go to China if it was not so cheap and there are reasons it is so cheap. I don’t really care if it is U.S. clubs — they’re lower-priced because they’re made in China. But if I am paying for JDM, I want to know the forging was not contracted to a Chinese manufacturer. No need for me to pay top dollar for JDM quality and instead get the cheapest manufacturing in the world. No one can argue that Chinese manufacturing overall matches Japan in quality control and consistency.

I agree 100% and that's exactly what they said. If you don't have high expectations (tight tolerances), good contracts in place and oversight during the process then you can have big problems. But quality forging can and does happen in China.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO