2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

G

I am NOT an instructor, so take this with a grain of salt, but you seem to be doing what I used to do. With a fairly large knee flex, you slide laterally in your forward swing, but your hips stop rotating. When your body stops rotating early, you almost have to flip to get the club squared up. I needed to stand taller at address, rotate better in my backswing, and definitely rotate better going forward. My lead leg needed to straighten in the forward swing as my lead hip worked vertically upward and away from the ball. I can't tell you how to do that yourself, but I used very slow motion rehearsals, and short swings with almost no wrist break to improve the rotation.

• Thanks 1

> @davep043 said:

> I am NOT an instructor, so take this with a grain of salt, but you seem to be doing what I used to do. With a fairly large knee flex, you slide laterally in your forward swing, but your hips stop rotating. When your body stops rotating early, you almost have to flip to get the club squared up. I needed to stand taller at address, rotate better in my backswing, and definitely rotate better going forward. My lead leg needed to straighten in the forward swing as my lead hip worked vertically upward and away from the ball. I can't tell you how to do that yourself, but I used very slow motion rehearsals, and short swings with almost no wrist break to improve the rotation.

Oh, I've read every single instructor say that practice swings almost never look like "real" swings. You should probably get some video actually hitting balls (outdoors, not in your living room).

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

GFLR9412, You are my project for today. I am a swing junkie and believe that I offered Druski (posted above) some valuable insight. So give me a bit today and I will send some guidance your way. Honestly I won't say your motion or action is reprehensible but there are some key things I believe I will make known which you can work on, even in doors.

Cheers,

-Burk

• Thanks 1

Okay so here we go. You certainly have some critical flaws in your motion, so depending on how much you want to improve or dedicate the time you could significantly improve. However, I will tell you that yours is a difficult case because of how "opposite" of a preferred motion I see. I will explain below. Also, I couldn't use the video you posted of down the line because the camera isn't actually directly behind you, it was sitting off on an angle.

NUQ7J9GCN9MX.jpgSo I got Tiger flipped to play as a lefty for you. I had a college teammate who said "lefties are the only golfers who stand on the "right" side of the ball" lol. Anyhow, your entire golf swing affliction starts from the setup.

SLIDE #1 Your shaft angle is way too weak, and PLEASE GET RID OF THE FORWARD PRESS to start your swing. I mean a very subtle move maybe, but yours is killing you. A little waggle is fine (like the GOAT) but as soon as your hands move forward right before the body is set to turn in the other direction you are toast.

SLIDE #2 This I see alot and is a common picture. Notice how your left arm has started to collapse too much prematurely and the back of your right hand has started to rotate too soon towards the sky. Your width potential is being minimized and the club shaft is not parallel to the ground as it should be.

SLIDE #3 A common flaw generated for what you see in this slide is that your arms are crossing over too soon and you actually stopped hinging your wrists when THIS IS THE MOMENT YOU SHOULD START HINGING THEM. It is a cause-and-effect scenario, don't fold your wrists too soon and maintain extension of the hands away from the body. Plus I would allow the hips to turn a bit more as well.

VTWPGJ66I10B.jpgSLIDE #4 Your hands should never get directly behind your head, this is certainly a sign of loss of width. If you look at the relationship of the blue (shaft) and green (left arm) lines, you see that yours isn't that far off from Tiger. However, because you have over-rotated the upper body so much, you don't fit with it. If your swing gets shortened to where I would put you then you're fine. Notice also the yellow circle next to Tiger's head, you literally have no spacing.

SLIDE #5 This is a great picture. YOU HAVE ALREADY RELEASED THE CLUB AND SPENT ALL YOUR SPEED & POWER. Players who generate good to great power, all create a similar or smaller angle of separation between the shaft and rear arm. By releasing the angle so soon, all you have now is rotational speed which is way less than the added speed gravity could get you in combination. This slide also does a great job of leading into why the "flip" occurs for golfers. Notice how your chest has cleared already and is no longer covering the ball, well if you didn't utilize the "flipping" method you would top/skull/whiff the ball because your shoulders are getting you "up and out" of the swing path.

SLIDE #6 Notice how the spacing Tiger creates doesn't happen for you. Your upper body, arms, and lower body are all disconnected out of sequence. His sternum (center of chest) is covering almost exactly over where he wants to enter the bottom of the swing arc and hit turf. Also, notice the Pink Line (center of chest) and the Blue Line (shaft angle). The flip also comes from the hands being behind the sternum line at impact.

F140GRUXFDQH.jpg

SLIDE #7 Notice how your left elbow still has some bow in it and doesn't follow the line straight like Tiger. This is in conjunction with not having any spacing from your chest and arms. Look at Tiger's right bicep in relation to his chest, nice spacing. You have crowded your self through the swing and don't have the spacing you need to clear properly. LOOK AT YOUR RIGHT WRIST BENT VS TIGER FLAT RIGHT WRIST.

SLIDE #8 Your right leg should have straightened (see Tiger) which would have allowed your hips to clear out of the way and you give up a lot of power by not doing this. Also, see again how much spacing you are giving up versus Tiger (Hands, arms, chest).

Now, do I believe you have a terrible golf swing motion, no I do not. However, you have chronic illnesses which you need a prescription for. Here is my recommendation:

Work on your initial setup to remove the giant forward press you have. Not only are you manipulating the loft of the club and face angle, but it is counter-intuitive to forward press when your takeaway goes the other direction. In slide #1 your initial position is okay, so I would tell you to set the club down on the ground or carpet (also put a ball down for proper visual), then put your hands on it and set your feet and shoulders, then don't even think about forward press and practice feeling a takeaway down the line.Use these pictures as a visual aid to create in your mind the proper image of what technique you want. Your body has to learn a new muscle motion and you are going from a lot of complex timing movements to something more simple. The funny part is, to create a more technically efficient swinging motion you are going to put more stress on your muscles, core, and back. It will in all likelihood challenge your commitment, but don't give up.You need to create spacing on the takeaway and work really hard to shorten the length of your takeaway. Drill for eliminating a long takeawayA) Setup for a normal shot with the club of preference, I don't know what club you have in the video, but maybe use that one. B) Maintaining all the proper starting motion, take the club back at 1/4 speed until your front shoulder is directly underneath your chin. At this point your back and shoulders will tighten up and you will allow your wrists to finish hinging. The key to understand is that your body will (should) tell you it is uncomfortable to go any further. You currently have a significant over swing, which is costing you tons of power and speed (ironic I know) You will be a much better player with a backswing which doesn't go past parallel.

B) Also when you do this drill, you will prevent your hands from getting behind your head.

Hope it helps, I could go on and on but you don't need overload right now.

Cheers,

-Burk

• Thanks 1

You appear to be dealing with the same problem as me. I'm flipping and flipping badly. I think mine started with the lateral hip slide, which has already been pointed out to you. However, before that, I think I was breaking my wrists and the triangle earlier in my backswing in a futile effort to get into a higher position in my backswing.

Whatever the reason, I have found one handed swinging with the left hand quite helpful (forces me to hit with the body instead of the hands) and, when swinging properly with both hands, imagining my right palm being pulled down into the ball with my left side and staying open to the target through impact. That is helping me so far.

That said, I am bookmarking this thread, because I am pretty sure you and I share similar problems.

One question: Do you find yourself finishing with your weight on your left toes? When I flip, I do; and I know that's wrong.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/3/2020 at 11:00 AM, BURKMI19 said:

Okay so here we go. You certainly have some critical flaws in your motion, so depending on how much you want to improve or dedicate the time you could significantly improve. However, I will tell you that yours is a difficult case because of how "opposite" of a preferred motion I see. I will explain below. Also, I couldn't use the video you posted of down the line because the camera isn't actually directly behind you, it was sitting off on an angle.

NUQ7J9GCN9MX.jpgSo I got Tiger flipped to play as a lefty for you. I had a college teammate who said "lefties are the only golfers who stand on the "right" side of the ball" lol. Anyhow, your entire golf swing affliction starts from the setup.

SLIDE #1 Your shaft angle is way too weak, and PLEASE GET RID OF THE FORWARD PRESS to start your swing. I mean a very subtle move maybe, but yours is killing you. A little waggle is fine (like the GOAT) but as soon as your hands move forward right before the body is set to turn in the other direction you are toast.

SLIDE #2 This I see alot and is a common picture. Notice how your left arm has started to collapse too much prematurely and the back of your right hand has started to rotate too soon towards the sky. Your width potential is being minimized and the club shaft is not parallel to the ground as it should be.

SLIDE #3 A common flaw generated for what you see in this slide is that your arms are crossing over too soon and you actually stopped hinging your wrists when THIS IS THE MOMENT YOU SHOULD START HINGING THEM. It is a cause-and-effect scenario, don't fold your wrists too soon and maintain extension of the hands away from the body. Plus I would allow the hips to turn a bit more as well.

VTWPGJ66I10B.jpgSLIDE #4 Your hands should never get directly behind your head, this is certainly a sign of loss of width. If you look at the relationship of the blue (shaft) and green (left arm) lines, you see that yours isn't that far off from Tiger. However, because you have over-rotated the upper body so much, you don't fit with it. If your swing gets shortened to where I would put you then you're fine. Notice also the yellow circle next to Tiger's head, you literally have no spacing.

SLIDE #5 This is a great picture. YOU HAVE ALREADY RELEASED THE CLUB AND SPENT ALL YOUR SPEED & POWER. Players who generate good to great power, all create a similar or smaller angle of separation between the shaft and rear arm. By releasing the angle so soon, all you have now is rotational speed which is way less than the added speed gravity could get you in combination. This slide also does a great job of leading into why the "flip" occurs for golfers. Notice how your chest has cleared already and is no longer covering the ball, well if you didn't utilize the "flipping" method you would top/skull/whiff the ball because your shoulders are getting you "up and out" of the swing path.

SLIDE #6 Notice how the spacing Tiger creates doesn't happen for you. Your upper body, arms, and lower body are all disconnected out of sequence. His sternum (center of chest) is covering almost exactly over where he wants to enter the bottom of the swing arc and hit turf. Also, notice the Pink Line (center of chest) and the Blue Line (shaft angle). The flip also comes from the hands being behind the sternum line at impact.

F140GRUXFDQH.jpg

SLIDE #7 Notice how your left elbow still has some bow in it and doesn't follow the line straight like Tiger. This is in conjunction with not having any spacing from your chest and arms. Look at Tiger's right bicep in relation to his chest, nice spacing. You have crowded your self through the swing and don't have the spacing you need to clear properly. LOOK AT YOUR RIGHT WRIST BENT VS TIGER FLAT RIGHT WRIST.

SLIDE #8 Your right leg should have straightened (see Tiger) which would have allowed your hips to clear out of the way and you give up a lot of power by not doing this. Also, see again how much spacing you are giving up versus Tiger (Hands, arms, chest).

Now, do I believe you have a terrible golf swing motion, no I do not. However, you have chronic illnesses which you need a prescription for. Here is my recommendation:

Work on your initial setup to remove the giant forward press you have. Not only are you manipulating the loft of the club and face angle, but it is counter-intuitive to forward press when your takeaway goes the other direction. In slide #1 your initial position is okay, so I would tell you to set the club down on the ground or carpet (also put a ball down for proper visual), then put your hands on it and set your feet and shoulders, then don't even think about forward press and practice feeling a takeaway down the line.Use these pictures as a visual aid to create in your mind the proper image of what technique you want. Your body has to learn a new muscle motion and you are going from a lot of complex timing movements to something more simple. The funny part is, to create a more technically efficient swinging motion you are going to put more stress on your muscles, core, and back. It will in all likelihood challenge your commitment, but don't give up.You need to create spacing on the takeaway and work really hard to shorten the length of your takeaway. Drill for eliminating a long takeawayA) Setup for a normal shot with the club of preference, I don't know what club you have in the video, but maybe use that one. B) Maintaining all the proper starting motion, take the club back at 1/4 speed until your front shoulder is directly underneath your chin. At this point your back and shoulders will tighten up and you will allow your wrists to finish hinging. The key to understand is that your body will (should) tell you it is uncomfortable to go any further. You currently have a significant over swing, which is costing you tons of power and speed (ironic I know) You will be a much better player with a backswing which doesn't go past parallel.

B) Also when you do this drill, you will prevent your hands from getting behind your head.

Hope it helps, I could go on and on but you don't need overload right now.

Cheers,

-Burk

Wow, so sorry I missed this! My wife had kids and I totally lost track of golf. I haven’t had the chance to play much, but a lot of what you’ve said are things I’ve been working on!