What about the Oncore Elixir?

jjfcpa ·  
jjfcpajjfcpa Driver - Tour Edge EXS 10.5Omaha, NE 707WRX Points: 232Handicap: 12Members Posts: 707

Anyone have any experience playing this ball? Gary Player has endorsed it as the ball he's been looking for.

I've played it off and on and had good results with it. Not as long for me as the Snell MTB-X, but softer feel and seems to respond nicely to the club head.

Posted:

Comments

• ChadwickogChadwickog  367WRX Points: 95Members Posts: 367

I have played it a bit. Don’t love it but don’t hate it. Distance with it was good, spin with it was good, biggest thing I didn’t love was the feel.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • TooeasyTooeasy Ohio 17WRX Points: 19Handicap: 6Members Posts: 17

I have been playing both the oncore elixer and the prov1x.. really like em both... been picking up the Encore’s for about $23 / doz..with discounts. I’ll say this...the prov1x is my favorite ball but the oncore ball is my 2nd.

Posted:
  • jjfcpajjfcpa Driver - Tour Edge EXS 10.5 Omaha, NE 707WRX Points: 232Handicap: 12Members Posts: 707

On -, @Tooeasy said:

I have been playing both the oncore elixer and the prov1x.. really like em both... been picking up the Encore’s for about $23 / doz..with discounts. I’ll say this...the prov1x is my favorite ball but the oncore ball is my 2nd.

Which one do you feel is the longest off the driver?

Longest off irons?

Which one spins the most on approach shots?

Posted:
  • TooeasyTooeasy Ohio 17WRX Points: 19Handicap: 6Members Posts: 17

Off the driver and irons I feel both are about equal for me.. the prov1x seems to hold the greens better. When it comes to putting for some reason I always putt better with the prov1x..

Posted:
  • tbohtboh Need a game ... Im in Maryland 128WRX Points: 92Handicap: <5Members Posts: 128

i gone frm v1x to oncore elixer to snell black ... For me peformance is equal ... i think oncore plays a little more feely & they just had a great sale

i love snell & oncore ... dont think ill ever go back to prov

Posted:
    400 Lst 10*
    200 Steel 15*
    Rescue #2 16*
    919 Hm 4-5
    919 F 6-P
    T7 50* 54*
    Er2 Sqback
    Ogio
    Ball du jour
  • 03trdblack03trdblack Wake Forest, NC 2025WRX Points: 269Handicap: 0.7ClubWRX Posts: 2,025

I was really liking them until this...

Posted:

Advertisement
  • CDMCDM  1957WRX Points: 240Members Posts: 1,957

Tied a sleeve of them last year. Was good off short irons but for me the long irons and woods it was in the same league as other bags (low distance balls). I just lost to much distance, and based on what we saw off the woods it was spinning to much causing the distance issue. I typically play a TPX5 of PROV1X

Posted:
    Post edited by CDM on
  • iputts_28iputts_28  70WRX Points: 68Handicap: +Members Posts: 70

I had this happen once as well, but I believe with the balls with the new OnCore logo have a new cover. Haven't had it happen with the new balls.

Re the original discussion... I'd compare it to the ProV, but a little softer off the putter (which I really like), same with the irons and around the greens, but a little shorter (~5 yards or so) with the driver.

Posted:
    2017 M1 10.5*
    Titleist 913 3 Wood 15*
    Titleist 712 2MB
    Mizuno 3-PW JPX 900 Tours
    Cleveland RTX 2.0 52*
    TM Milled Grind 56* and 60*
    Scotty Newport
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky  2393WRX Points: 799Members Posts: 2,393

It’s a really good ball. Excellent performance tee to green. Comparable to many of the tour level balls on the market

Posted:
  • 03trdblack03trdblack Wake Forest, NC 2025WRX Points: 269Handicap: 0.7ClubWRX Posts: 2,025

This was a sleeve they sent me in September. Have they changed them since then?

Posted:
  • iputts_28iputts_28  70WRX Points: 68Handicap: +Members Posts: 70

Looks like it... although it's just something I heard that the balls with the smaller logo (https://www.oncoregolf.com - front page) have an updated cover (and they certainly look a little less white in hand if that makes sense). I thought I read it here on wrx somewhere as well.

Posted:
    2017 M1 10.5*
    Titleist 913 3 Wood 15*
    Titleist 712 2MB
    Mizuno 3-PW JPX 900 Tours
    Cleveland RTX 2.0 52*
    TM Milled Grind 56* and 60*
    Scotty Newport

Advertisement
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 NJ 1098WRX Points: 283Handicap: 4Members Posts: 1,098

I think this is latest. Better cover and improved distance.

Posted:
    Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
    2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
    Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
    Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • TheCityGameTheCityGame Traj like Minaj  16235WRX Points: 3,086Handicap: 2ishMembers Posts: 16,235

The OnCore Elixir is all I played this year. Full season. Every meaningful event. And I had my best season ever.

FWIW, I got my handicap to the lowest it's ever been (1.3) and it's been sub 2 since July. I played my club's "A team" matches with it (went 7-2), club championship, spring medal championship, every club tournament. My partner and I won a multi-course fourball and I played it there in qualifying rounds and the final round. I think I made 8 birdies across the 2 rounds. I made 5 birdies in (one of my club's) club championship.

And, I'm not saying the ball lowered my handicap or makes birdies easier or anything like that. But, I am saying. . .if you're worse than me, and you think a direct-to-consumer ball like the Elixir is going to hold you back, you're probably wrong.

I play a lot of solo rounds where I hit multiple balls off the tee. It's as long for me (102-105 mph driver speed) as any other ball I hit (and I have pro V's and TPX's sitting around from gifts, or prizes for comparison).

I'm only an "average spin" player and it's fine all the way through the bag. Honestly, whatever characteristics the ball has spin-wise are completely overwhelmed by the course conditions.

I try to control my pitching and chipping with trajectory more than spin, but if I want to hit a low-checky one, the ball works as well as anything.

I've tried to let other players try it. The only thing I can remember with it is giving one to the club champ (at the time) and he proceeded to hit it about 300 down the middle (similar distance to his pro V). But that was only one trial. Guys don't like to mess with their ball.

I've never had one crack like the one a few posts up. I played 77 posted rounds this year and probably another 50 rounds that weren't posted. I'm not going to let one picture of a cracked ball on the internet change up the good vibes this ball has with me.

I play the green ones.

Posted:
    Ping G400 MAX 10.5º XTORSION Copper 60
    RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
    Strong torso
    Cobra f6 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
    Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
    Vokey 60º/04º
    Ping Scottsdale Wolverine
    Oncore Elixir
  • TheCityGameTheCityGame Traj like Minaj  16235WRX Points: 3,086Handicap: 2ishMembers Posts: 16,235

Just went to the website.

Unlimited BOGO on the Elixir is a no-brainer. I think I have like 6 dozen, so I don't need it, but that's like $17.50 a dozen. I wish I'd gotten mine that cheap.

Posted:
    Ping G400 MAX 10.5º XTORSION Copper 60
    RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
    Strong torso
    Cobra f6 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
    Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
    Vokey 60º/04º
    Ping Scottsdale Wolverine
    Oncore Elixir
  • HellstormHellstorm  662WRX Points: 108Handicap: 12Members Posts: 662

Yes....BOGO on Elixer @ $35/dz. I know I shouldn't switch around balls so much but I have probably played every ball out there for at least a few rounds. My favorite ball is the TP5x and I really like ProV1x and AVX but I thought the Elixer was comparable. When I wanted my ball to check up it did. I thought it felt really good off the putter. I don't measure every shot so I can't comment on a specific distance loss or anything but I didn't notice any discernable difference that can be attributed to the ball over my unrepeatable swing. I was given 2 sleeves of these at an outing and I gotta say, at $17.50 a dozen, I am more than willing to buy another 2 dozen.

Posted:
  • Tanner25Tanner25  6510WRX Points: 253Members Posts: 6,510

What is the compression?

Posted:

Advertisement
    Posted:
  • brianmontgomery2000brianmontgomery2000 Dayton, Ohio 795WRX Points: 141Members Posts: 795

I participated in the Member Review (https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1773690/member-reviews-oncore-elixr-golf-balls-check-out-what-members-are-saying/p1)

I liked the ball and would play/recommend.

Posted:

Ping G400 Max, 9.5, Tour 65 S
    Cobra AMP Cell 3+ (13)
    Taylormade RBZ 3HL (17)
    Wishon 775HS 3Hyb (21) - Modus 120X
    Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (5-G) - Modus 120X
    Mizuno S18 - 56 & 60 - Modus 120X
    Odyssey Sabertooth

• dpb5031dpb5031 Jupiter, FL 5703WRX Points: 1,215Members Posts: 5,703

This is a great ball. I played in an event with Gary Player and everyone got a dozen of these.

Most notable is the feel of this ball. The cover is soft but not mushy. You don't get much of a click when chipping and putting as I do with the TP5X, but it's not springy/jumpy like the Chrome Softs. Greenside spin was similar to what I'd expect from a ProVI. On full swings with both irons and driver the feel is very solid and gratifying.

I found distance to be on point with all of the premium urethane balls. Wind performance was also good, with no uprisers into a headwind and stable flight in crosswinds. Durability was also very similar to ProV.

All in all, there's nothing to complain about. This is a true Tour caliber ball at a price point (especially on promotion) that can't be beat. I could see good players really falling in love with the feel.

Posted:
    USGA Index: ~1

WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • jjfcpajjfcpa Driver - Tour Edge EXS 10.5 Omaha, NE 707WRX Points: 232Handicap: 12Members Posts: 707

I found the Elixir to be a good ball, but just not as good as a few others that I tried. It came down to two things. I found some other balls that delivered a little better distance (driver and irons) and more green side spin. It's still a good ball that everyone should try and it would definitely be in my top 5 golf balls. In no particular order, other than the first one is the one that I'm playing right now.

Srixon Z Star

Snell MTB X

Snell MTB Black

Oncore Exlir

Bridgestone RX

Posted:
  • luckypolkluckypolk  84WRX Points: 41Members Posts: 84

Shot my lowest round ever (76) my first time gaming the Elixr. My distances were exactly what they should be with irons and wedges. I had nice long drives, as good as I'd hit with any ball. The key for me on that round (and a common theme in subsequent rounds playing this ball) was that I ended up with more balls in play off the tee. I'm playing to a 9 handicap right now and the tee is where I lose strokes, so it's nice to have a ball that doesn't miss as bad. I wouldn't exactly call this my gamer because I'm in love with the Bridgestone B XS, I just can't afford to play it. I'm currently alternating between the Srixon Z Star and this ball based on price. For me, the Elixr just works for my game a little better. It's definitely a ball more people should try. Oh, and it's definitely durable. I don't know what's up with the picture of the cracked ball. I hit mine on a shortish par 4 that bounced twice off the cart path and it only ended up with some paint smear. That ball stayed in play the rest of the round.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.