Bryson DeChambeau planning to get "a lot bigger" in the next couple months

tungstenplug

Some quotes from Bryson after the Shriner's Open this past week:

_"I'm going to come back next year and look like a different person. You're going to see some pretty big changes in my body, which is going to be a good thing. Going to be hitting it a lot further"

"Way stronger. Just stronger in general. I am going to look probably a lot bigger"_

Interested to see how this goes. He appears to be one of the bigger/stronger guys on tour already. I've slowly become a fan of Bryson and have learned to not doubt any of the things he does. I wish he had just done the transformation quietly and waited for everyone to comment on it instead of making these claims ahead of time. Maybe he really does want to fight Brooks?

Thoughts?

Link to full article: https://www.pgatour.com/news/2019/10/06/bryson-dechambeau-reveals-plan-bulk-up-shriners-hospitals-for-childrens-open.html

Yeah I'm not sure I understand this. I've been immediately next to him in person and he is not a small fella.

My guess is that he or him plus some data scientist guy combed over driving distance stats for the last 10 years and compared that to winnings and drew a correlation between the two. That, and/or he's just hellllaaa jelly of Brooks and wants to get gucci, too.

He's a clown, the tour does need more outliers

Fun to watch except pace of play

How about we just make the changes and don't let the world know about everything

Keep your brand out there I guess is today's new mantra

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> Yeah I'm not sure I understand this. I've been immediately next to him in person and he is not a small fella.

>

Agreed. He is not a small dude. I guess he think he's lagging behind his playing partners in the distance category so muscle is where he needs to go. Hey, whatever works.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I am guessing he does not want to be intimidated by Brooks anymore. haha.

Really, good for him. I hope he accomplishes his goal. Being young, his body will respond pretty quickly. Body changes if completely dedicated can happen very quickly. They are only slow for those that "think" they are putting in the time but are really not.

For guys like him that do not have to work a 9-5 he is time in the day, plus the financial means to hire trainers, dietitians, etc to aid him in getting to where he wants to be. 2-3 months for larger charges are not out of the question at all.

Especially, if he has not done much in the weight room before. I do not know what his exercise program has looked like in the past. But if he is fairly new to it. There will be a fast response at the onset.

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

well the LD guys are generally MUCH bigger nowadays .. the last two winners and Sadlowski excepted

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

“We make sure the neurological threshold is just as high as the mechanical threshold,” DeChambeau said.

“In layman's terms, pretty much whatever muscle potentially you have, how big and the muscle spindles you have, you can recruit every single one of them to their full potential throughout the whole range and training the whole range of motion.”

The workouts are done on specific machines and incorporate neurological fitness, making sure he is not hurting himself or damaging himself in the process but finding the tipping points and staying right near them.

“I can literally be in massive amount of pain and we can go do a treatment on one of the patterns directly affecting the neurological pain and not have any pain and get back up off the table,” DeChambeau explained of the physical therapy sessions he goes through.

“It's not your normal PT work. I've done it. I’ve broken ribs before. I got a rib out of place when I was 14 and went to physical therapy for the long time. It was great but didn't feel like it ever got better until I started increasing my tolerance levels with weight and strength,” he continued.

“Once I started doing that I felt like I could tolerate anything. You bring it on and I could tolerate it. So it's pretty cool what he does. It's revolutionary in the physical therapy world.”

sounds interesting...

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

I'm just hoping that he doesn't end up pulling a Camillo Villegas. Dude was awesome till he got obsessed with biking and fitness, and then dropped off the planet. Significantly changing your body can do really funny things to a golfer ...

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

> @Redjeep83 said:

> you aren't going to see a big change in a month or two that's for sure.

He will come back wearing shirts a little smaller, that's all.

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

> @chigolfer1 said:

> FWIW, the headline doesn't come close to capturing what he explains in the article. And, the idea isn't to get bigger, that is just going to be a side effect of getting stronger. As to these specific techniques and machines, don't know what he's talking about exactly.

https://muscleactivation.com/about-us/what-is-mat/

A personal trainer I know was looking into getting certified for MAT. He was about to sign up for the classes, but then he found out that in my state, you need to have a medical or a massage therapist degree to legally be allowed to "touch" clients, so he has since transitioned his focus to massage therapy school.

That said, a _gross oversimplification_ of it (based on my understanding of what he told me -- so take it with a grain of salt) is that you do soft tissue work and various types of stretching in between exercises. The soft tissue/stretching work in between sets is supposedly designed to get muscles to contract better. The ultimate goal is to reduce muscular imbalances, which increases the efficiency of your workout, but also reduces the chances of injury.

As with anything fitness related, who knows if it really works. [ Peyton Manning supposedly swears by the guy](https://www.si.com/vault/2012/11/05/106252291/stretching-the-field " Peyton Manning supposedly swears by the guy") that Bryson will be going to. He has also worked with some [other Broncos and Redskins players](https://www.24hourfitness.com/community/blog/20160212b.html "other Broncos and Redskins players").

I read that he did some testing with iron and wedge shafts and found that the stiffer he went, the better his launch, spin, and dispersion numbers were. He is transitioning to using graphite shafts in his irons and wedges, with the ones he is set to use being around 120 grams but being a full flex stiffer than the DG X7s (that's extremely stiff, folks). I'm guessing the extra muscle has something to do with that. If he knows that shaft stiffness and performance are correlated, getting stronger is the obvious move

"I'm going to come back next year and look like a different person. You're going to see some pretty big changes in my body, which is going to be a good thing. Going to be hitting it a lot further"

"Way stronger. Just stronger in general. I am going to look probably a lot bigger"_

At his age he will probably get a good run of noticeable "newbie gains" if he lifts religiously for a couple of months and eats a ton. But, they will all disappear fast unless he keeps lifting all year.

Should be fun to see what happens with this.

• Like 1

> @cardoustie said:

> well the LD guys are generally MUCH bigger nowadays .. the last two winners and Sadlowski excepted

This years winner is still a big guy, I would call last years winner pretty big as well. Kyle is 6'3" and 200 pounds. While Maurice Allen is not tall, is still really strong and weighs 225.. So yeah. both sizable.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @SirFuego said:

> > @chigolfer1 said:

> > FWIW, the headline doesn't come close to capturing what he explains in the article. And, the idea isn't to get bigger, that is just going to be a side effect of getting stronger. As to these specific techniques and machines, don't know what he's talking about exactly.

>

> https://muscleactivation.com/about-us/what-is-mat/

>

> A personal trainer I know was looking into getting certified for MAT. He was about to sign up for the classes, but then he found out that in my state, you need to have a medical or a massage therapist degree to legally be allowed to "touch" clients, so he has since transitioned his focus to massage therapy school.

>

> That said, a _gross oversimplification_ of it (based on my understanding of what he told me -- so take it with a grain of salt) is that you do soft tissue work and various types of stretching in between exercises. The soft tissue/stretching work in between sets is supposedly designed to get muscles to contract better. The ultimate goal is to reduce muscular imbalances, which increases the efficiency of your workout, but also reduces the chances of injury.

>

> As with anything fitness related, who knows if it really works. [ Peyton Manning supposedly swears by the guy](https://www.si.com/vault/2012/11/05/106252291/stretching-the-field " Peyton Manning supposedly swears by the guy") that Bryson will be going to. He has also worked with some [other Broncos and Redskins players](https://www.24hourfitness.com/community/blog/20160212b.html "other Broncos and Redskins players").

yea I read a bit about MAT after seeing some fitness guy talk about it that I followed. He had been dealing with some injury for over 6 months and couldn't lift. Supposedly it was one of the only things that helped him recover. Like you said it's suppose to activate muscles to help with the lifts so it doesn't rely so much on the injured area which could be over working because of these inactive muscles. After researching it seems some swear by it and others don't.

> @Redjeep83 said:

> you aren't going to see a big change in a month or two that's for sure.

you sure can see huge changes in a month or two. Especially if you have time and funds. Which he has. working a 9-5 it is hard. If you get to set your own schedule for the day. Much less hard. Especially if there is someone to monitor your diet.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @Redjeep83 said:

> > you aren't going to see a big change in a month or two that's for sure.

>

> you sure can see huge changes in a month or two. Especially if you have time and funds. Which he has. working a 9-5 it is hard. If you get to set your own schedule for the day. Much less hard. Especially if there is someone to monitor your diet.

you can see big fat loss changes in month or two but not really muscle gains, plus he looks like he isn't brand new to lifting. According to studies a brand new beginner can look to add about 2 pounds of muscle a month if they are doing everything right, minus steroids. More advanced lifters which Bryson falls into is looking around 1 pound of muscle and even less as you advance.