where will golf be in 10 years ?

Miura70

I live in Myrtle Beach , and most courses i play at the average age is 60.......I never see a 4 some of guys in their 30s.......Im 49 and started playing in 1974....but myrtle has seen quite a few courses close in the last 5 years....Where do you see the sport in 10 years.........Im also into 60s muscle cars and we are seeing no interest from anyone under 45.

Ten years, probably still about where it is now...maybe it will be a little less popular. Might see a bigger difference in 20-30yrs, when a new generation is grown up relative to right now. For me, golf is a luxury and is fairly elastic, in that it's quite easy to replace it with other things for less money whether that be other less expensive hobbies or simply abstaining.

I could possibly see a rise in simulated/indoor golf though. Purists would hate it but as they die off and newer generations who didn't/can't experience "Real" outdoor golf, things like Top Golf, etc could expand into places like what Oncore is building in Buffalo NY.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikmatuszewski/2019/09/20/oncore-golf-to-open-30-million-sports-entertainment-complex-in-buffalo-with-more-in-planning/

I could see a point in time maybe 50 years from now where outdoor golf is private only with a small membership that essentially keeps the place afloat, with the majority of people "playing" golf more like we might play mini-golf right now at a place similar to this place above. However, places like above could have the opposite effect - since off course golf will be relatively cheap, it will introduce the game to people it may not have otherwise, who would then pick up the game on actual golf courses.

Additionally, the closures and decline we are seeing could simply be a correction for an over supply of courses sort of like how the stock market will self correct after an extended period of growth.

It's really too complicated IMO to predict what will happen 10 or 20 years from now. What if the next Tiger comes along and introduces a whole new buzz to the game? What if a horrible natural disaster or war occurs which leaves the majority of the country/world in economic shambles? There's too many variables in play.

So I just got back from Myrtle Beach, played TPC, Caledonia, True Blue and The Legacy. I noticed the same thing age group on the older side. My group of 12 ranged from 30-70. Same group of guys have been going for 31 years and than asked the younger group of us to join 5 years ago. I am 46 so fit in the middle of this. I think this is a great topic to talk about, I can not pinpoint why the newer generations are not playing. I will say one thing the PGA is pushing faster play which I agree, but at the TPC (remind you this was last week and weekend, temp in the mid 90's with very high humidity) a PGA course their were 5 holes cart path only. Come on PGA and TPC the fairways were drier than a desert, so why? Stop over reacting to golf carts, we are paying $200 a round and have to walk 5 holes? PGA keep the pace going and follow thru with this, nobody wants to walk your 580 18th hole!

So I think that the Golf community needs to figure something out to speed up the pace of play period. I will also mention some of the rounds we played were 5 plus hours with some of the slowest golfers in the world and not one course employee said a word to the slower groups. I get it we are on vacation but the truth is nobody wants to play a round in high humidity for 5 plus hours.

On a side note the motorcycle golf carts at Caledonia are the coolest thing ever and you can drive up to the green, interesting way of keeping golf cool and fast.

Signature of Solon CC

Ping g430 10k 9 Accra fx 3.0 140 m0

Titleist Tsr1 15 tour ad di6

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

Titleist Tsr1 4 hybrid Accra fx 2.0 

Titleist t300 5-Pw Matrix Red proto moi matched 

Wilson Staff zm 50 recoil dart v

Wilson staff zm 56 recoil dart v

Vokey Wedge Works Raw 60K DG Tour Issue S400 Black Onyx

L.A.B. Mezz Max blue Tpt shaft 34/71

Just some thoughts as an early 30s golfer.

I think the private club might in trouble, not the uber exclusive ones, but the local one's in every town. That's because first; I think my generation likes options more than previous ones, so the idea of one place is a tougher sell. This might be a regional as I have about 8 courses in a 30 minute drive. Second, I think numbers of younger golfers is down compared to the past generation, so that is just a direct correlation.

I see more 9 hole rounds being played and courses being made than currently. Pretty simple the younger generation is more time pressed so 9 holes might be a way to get more people into golf. Also, real estate wise a good 9 hole course could offer good conditions at decent prices with less land to take care of, also it ties into the 9 hole rounds being played.

Finally I see equipment as now pretty much maxed out on COR and distance (without jacking up lofts) so in the next 10 years I see a shift on how to make a bigger and more consistent sweet spot. This will help consistent distance control for the golfer while having that larger sweet spot.

My club has mostly over 55s, hardly ever see anyone else. Hardly anyone young. Doesn't help that the older members are so rude etiquette wise and play so slow. They won't let faster players through. Pathetic behaviour tbh. 4 hours for a round is completely unnecessary too. 3 hours should be max even for 4ball.

I think it will be about where it is now. There will always probably be more 50 and above playing because they have more time and money. My son is in his 20s and loves to play but I’m sure when he starts a family like it was for me there will be less time and money for golf. I really didn’t get to play a lot again until the kids got in high school and they could be home by themselves and didn’t need me to drive them everywhere.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

I'd love to able to take a golf trip down somewhere with buddies, problem is I'm the only single guy in my peer group (I'm 31), and the rest of them have all also had kids within the last year or 2. So theres no way the guys are getting out to take a vacation, let alone a vacation without there old ladys. Not to mention were all fairly new homeowners, and spending money is not what it was when we first started making real money while still living at home! I'd have to imagine those are the main reasons why younger people are lesser seen than older is just due to family commitments and priorites money wise that trump leisure activities. Even getting out for a normal round, I've got all day I wanna hit balls and chip first then hang out and get a bite and a beer after, but everyone else has to be rushing home to take care of there daddy duties if you will.

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

Here in the UK I don't think golf has ever been a young person's sport. It's always been something that the older generation take up when the family has matured and kids flown the nest. That's when people have the money and the time and have matured to where they appreciate a few hours away from family. My only concern is what the children and teenagers of today are going to think of spending several hours playing outside. But that's a general concern held by many so I'm hopeful that health programmes will encourage them back out into the real world over the next few decades and golf can benefit from that.

> @NJpatbee said:

> Older golfers tend to have more disposable income and time, just as it has always been. Golf participation will be similar to today 10, 20, 30 years from now.

The biggest issue being that they are bitter about those that A. Retire sooner B. Had more free time when younger.

Most are furious seeing young players with time and money to play. That's not right. It's a crap attitude to have and will hold anyone back that holds that attitude.

> @NonCompetitive1 said:

> > @NJpatbee said:

> > Older golfers tend to have more disposable income and time, just as it has always been. Golf participation will be similar to today 10, 20, 30 years from now.

>

> The biggest issue being that they are bitter about those that A. Retire sooner B. Had more free time when younger.

>

> Most are furious seeing young players with time and money to play. That's not right. It's a crap attitude to have and will hold anyone back that holds that attitude.

I agree with some of this, but just looking at salaries and what not I see their point as well. Some of my same aged peers are teachers and nurses. The ratio of debt to income is higher. I can’t fault them those are great professions that the world needs. But since the ratio is higher it might delay or prevent people from taking up golf which would hurt the industry in the future.

Golf will be fine in 10 years. Golf will be fine in 20, 30, and beyond.

At the private club I belong to we actually have quite a few young members. And we probably have even more mid-40's members (like myself). And I just talked to the club president yesterday who said the club is doing great after last year's membership drive. We're currently at our max of 310 golfing members, and the club is very active.

The arguments that people don't have the time they used to might be true, but if you REALLY WANT TO PLAY GOLF you will find the time. Period. I see guys at the club that have young kids, and if they're gung-ho enough about golf they MAKE the time. Sure, there are exceptions. There are people for whom it is physically impossible due to work, kids, etc to make the time. But most people can get creative and do it if they really want to.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

It will be exactly the same is it is now. The "young people don't have time for golf" situation isn't anything new. For the majority of us, when you're in your 20's and 30's, working full time, married, home commitments, raising your kids, etc., it's tough to take the 5-6 hours it takes to play an 18-hole round on the weekend (I'm talking door-to-door, drive time, warmup time, time for the round, a beer afterward, etc.), especially trying to do it every weekend. Even harder to do it during the week. This is nothing new, and has been around forever. It got worse 30 or so years ago as it became less feasible to have a stay-at-home parent, but it's definitely always been there.

I'm a perfect/typical example. Played all the time when I was younger, HS golf team, played very regularly into my early 20's. Got married, kids (3 boys age gap 6 years), responsibilities, coaching their youth sports teams, etc. Time for golf basically disappeared for about 20 years except for the occasional drunken charity scramble. Kids get older, more free time, got bit by the bug again, playing more now at just shy of 50 than I ever have in my life - more time, more disposable income. This is a typical story at my club, where we've got a fairly strong membership in their 20's and 30's, but the majority are within 5 years one way or the other of my wife and I, and in exactly the same place.

This generation is generally marrying later and having kids later (my oldest is 28 and just got engaged), so the paradigm will shift by a few years, but it will still always be primarily older golfers on the course. It doesn't mean the younger generation doesn't have interest in the game, they're just at that point in their lives where they don't have the time to play.

• Like 1

> @NonCompetitive1 said:

> > @NJpatbee said:

> > Older golfers tend to have more disposable income and time, just as it has always been. Golf participation will be similar to today 10, 20, 30 years from now.

>

> The biggest issue being that they are bitter about those that A. Retire sooner B. Had more free time when younger.

>

> **Most are furious seeing young players with time and money to play.** That's not right. It's a crap attitude to have and will hold anyone back that holds that attitude.

I'd suggest you find a new club to play at, because this attitude certainly isn't prevalent anywhere I've played, or among anyone I know. I've got a very open schedule, where I can play whenever I want, making a lot of people think I'm retired. The guys that are 10, 15, 20 years older than me, and actually retired, are never bitter about it. When I have a chance to play with guys in their 20's and 30's who have enough freedom to get out whenever they want, whether because their job allows it or they retired young, it never bothers me at all. And that attitude is shared by pretty much everyone I know and play with.

> @SecondandGoal said:

> > @NonCompetitive1 said:

> > > @NJpatbee said:

> > > Older golfers tend to have more disposable income and time, just as it has always been. Golf participation will be similar to today 10, 20, 30 years from now.

> >

> > The biggest issue being that they are bitter about those that A. Retire sooner B. Had more free time when younger.

> >

> > **Most are furious seeing young players with time and money to play.** That's not right. It's a crap attitude to have and will hold anyone back that holds that attitude.

>

> I'd suggest you find a new club to play at, because this attitude certainly isn't prevalent anywhere I've played, or among anyone I know. I've got a very open schedule, where I can play whenever I want, making a lot of people think I'm retired. The guys that are 10, 15, 20 years older than me, and actually retired, are never bitter about it. When I have a chance to play with guys in their 20's and 30's who have enough freedom to get out whenever they want, whether because their job allows it or they retired young, it never bothers me at all. And that attitude is shared by pretty much everyone I know and play with.

Yeah I have to agree. Whenever I see this as a generalization I tend to think someone is just hanging around the wrong clubs and people.

• Like 1

> @Dpavs said:

> > @SecondandGoal said:

> > > @NonCompetitive1 said:

> > > > @NJpatbee said:

> > > > Older golfers tend to have more disposable income and time, just as it has always been. Golf participation will be similar to today 10, 20, 30 years from now.

> > >

> > > The biggest issue being that they are bitter about those that A. Retire sooner B. Had more free time when younger.

> > >

> > > **Most are furious seeing young players with time and money to play.** That's not right. It's a crap attitude to have and will hold anyone back that holds that attitude.

> >

> > I'd suggest you find a new club to play at, because this attitude certainly isn't prevalent anywhere I've played, or among anyone I know. I've got a very open schedule, where I can play whenever I want, making a lot of people think I'm retired. The guys that are 10, 15, 20 years older than me, and actually retired, are never bitter about it. When I have a chance to play with guys in their 20's and 30's who have enough freedom to get out whenever they want, whether because their job allows it or they retired young, it never bothers me at all. And that attitude is shared by pretty much everyone I know and play with.

>

> Yeah I have to agree. Whenever I see this as a generalization I tend to think someone is just hanging around the wrong clubs and people.

There's only a couple clubs nearby, hardly anyone young players here.

> @NonCompetitive1 said:

> > @Dpavs said:

> > > @SecondandGoal said:

> > > > @NonCompetitive1 said:

> > > > > @NJpatbee said:

> > > > > Older golfers tend to have more disposable income and time, just as it has always been. Golf participation will be similar to today 10, 20, 30 years from now.

> > > >

> > > > The biggest issue being that they are bitter about those that A. Retire sooner B. Had more free time when younger.

> > > >

> > > > **Most are furious seeing young players with time and money to play.** That's not right. It's a crap attitude to have and will hold anyone back that holds that attitude.

> > >

> > > I'd suggest you find a new club to play at, because this attitude certainly isn't prevalent anywhere I've played, or among anyone I know. I've got a very open schedule, where I can play whenever I want, making a lot of people think I'm retired. The guys that are 10, 15, 20 years older than me, and actually retired, are never bitter about it. When I have a chance to play with guys in their 20's and 30's who have enough freedom to get out whenever they want, whether because their job allows it or they retired young, it never bothers me at all. And that attitude is shared by pretty much everyone I know and play with.

> >

> > Yeah I have to agree. Whenever I see this as a generalization I tend to think someone is just hanging around the wrong clubs and people.

>

> There's only a couple clubs nearby, hardly anyone young players here.

What is the mix? Lot's of retirees with a few tourists?

Golf is becoming a lot more reachable in SoCal for the younger generation.

At the muni level, I see kids from 5 -18 years of age at ranges all the time in the LA area.. they flood the chipping greens on the weekends and every time I ask them their handicap, they all reply single digits. Golf became cool since the top players are younger, the kids are following.

In 10 years, the muni’s will stay flooded..

my generation will be on deck to get in the Country club memberships, but millennial who don’t have trust funds and came up on the grace of God think differently spending wise. We drive hybrids, mom and dad (us ) came from single families, both work, both take care the kids, and pay 1250 per kid for childcare. My feeling will probably change with age but this is how we think as of now.

I better start moving masses so I could pay my dues in ten... or I could put it back in to move more..

> @Dpavs said:

> > > @Dpavs said:

> > > > @SecondandGoal said:

> > > > > @NonCompetitive1 said:

> > > > > > @NJpatbee said:

> > > > > > Older golfers tend to have more disposable income and time, just as it has always been. Golf participation will be similar to today 10, 20, 30 years from now.

> > > > >

> > > > > The biggest issue being that they are bitter about those that A. Retire sooner B. Had more free time when younger.

> > > > >

> > > > > **Most are furious seeing young players with time and money to play.** That's not right. It's a crap attitude to have and will hold anyone back that holds that attitude.

> > > >

> > > > I'd suggest you find a new club to play at, because this attitude certainly isn't prevalent anywhere I've played, or among anyone I know. I've got a very open schedule, where I can play whenever I want, making a lot of people think I'm retired. The guys that are 10, 15, 20 years older than me, and actually retired, are never bitter about it. When I have a chance to play with guys in their 20's and 30's who have enough freedom to get out whenever they want, whether because their job allows it or they retired young, it never bothers me at all. And that attitude is shared by pretty much everyone I know and play with.

> > >

> > > Yeah I have to agree. Whenever I see this as a generalization I tend to think someone is just hanging around the wrong clubs and people.

> >

> > There's only a couple clubs nearby, hardly anyone young players here.

>

> What is the mix? Lot's of retirees with a few tourists?

Yes. The course barely has a member under 55.

> @TIM929 said:

> Golf is becoming a lot more reachable in SoCal for the younger generation.

>

> At the muni level, I see kids from 5 -18 years of age at ranges all the time in the LA area.. they flood the chipping greens on the weekends and every time I ask them their handicap, they all reply single digits. Golf became cool since the top players are younger, the kids are following.

>

> In 10 years, the muni’s will stay flooded..

>

> my generation will be on deck to get in the Country club memberships, but millennial who don’t have trust funds and came up on the grace of God think differently spending wise. We drive hybrids, mom and dad (us ) came from single families, both work, both take care the kids, and pay 1250 per kid for childcare. My feeling will probably change with age but this is how we think as of now.

>

>

> I better start moving masses so I could pay my dues in ten... or I could put it back in to move more..

Ye, more money there combined with younger generation. It would be fun playing golf in SoCalifornia.

> @NonCompetitive1 said:

> > @Dpavs said:

> > > @NonCompetitive1 said:

> > > > @Dpavs said:

> > > > > @SecondandGoal said:

> > > > > > @NonCompetitive1 said:

> > > > > > > @NJpatbee said:

> > > > > > > Older golfers tend to have more disposable income and time, just as it has always been. Golf participation will be similar to today 10, 20, 30 years from now.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The biggest issue being that they are bitter about those that A. Retire sooner B. Had more free time when younger.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > **Most are furious seeing young players with time and money to play.** That's not right. It's a crap attitude to have and will hold anyone back that holds that attitude.

> > > > >

> > > > > I'd suggest you find a new club to play at, because this attitude certainly isn't prevalent anywhere I've played, or among anyone I know. I've got a very open schedule, where I can play whenever I want, making a lot of people think I'm retired. The guys that are 10, 15, 20 years older than me, and actually retired, are never bitter about it. When I have a chance to play with guys in their 20's and 30's who have enough freedom to get out whenever they want, whether because their job allows it or they retired young, it never bothers me at all. And that attitude is shared by pretty much everyone I know and play with.

> > > >

> > > > Yeah I have to agree. Whenever I see this as a generalization I tend to think someone is just hanging around the wrong clubs and people.

> > >

> > > There's only a couple clubs nearby, hardly anyone young players here.

> >

> > What is the mix? Lot's of retirees with a few tourists?

>

> Yes. The course barely has a member under 55.

>

You definitely do see that in those types of communities in certain areas. I have not encountered it very much in the Midwest though. Age is not such a big thing, wealth on the other hand can still be a great divider.

I think modern golf has always struggled with finding members between 25-50. This is nothing new at least in the past few decades since we've started seeing 2 income families and women who want their weekends too. Combine this with kids activities on weekends and it's tough to play a lot of golf

But people who are 45 now, will play more when they are 55

Golf is made up of kids and young adults with no commitments, and retired dudes whose kids are 18+ and dont need them around.

Golf isn't going away, the people we are worries aren't playing now, will play later when their kids go to college

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

The OP mentions Myrtle Beach. I have been going to Myrtle Beach for 32 years I am 73 years old now. I saw the golf boom hit MB and new courses being built or there every year I went for a number of years. Over a 100 courses at one time. Then the decline happened. Now I think there are somewhere in the mid to upper 80s in number of courses in MB. Just an adjustment.

Golf in general...I think it will be fine in 10 years and forward. A few new courses will come along here and there and a few will die (for some more like a mercy killing).

When it comes to private courses, one has to be careful. I would advise anyone who is thinking about dropping money on a private course...you better understand the revenue stream of said club. The super exclusive courses...they will be fine. The less affluent clubs...really have to be careful and understand how they are able to maintain their private status and where the money is coming from to keep the doors open. I have watched my share of private clubs go public and/or go out of business.

Pretty sure golf will always have more middle age and senior players than it does the 20 and 30 age brackets.

What we hope to see is lots of kids playing. We have to understand that one day they will have family to deal with, tuition payments to pay for, etc. and they may not have the time or money to spend on golf. But, if they grew up with golf...a time will come when many of them will come back to the game.

> @Dpavs said:

> > > @Dpavs said:

> > > > @NonCompetitive1 said:

> > > > > @Dpavs said:

> > > > > > @SecondandGoal said:

> > > > > > > @NonCompetitive1 said:

> > > > > > > > @NJpatbee said:

> > > > > > > > Older golfers tend to have more disposable income and time, just as it has always been. Golf participation will be similar to today 10, 20, 30 years from now.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > The biggest issue being that they are bitter about those that A. Retire sooner B. Had more free time when younger.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > **Most are furious seeing young players with time and money to play.** That's not right. It's a crap attitude to have and will hold anyone back that holds that attitude.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I'd suggest you find a new club to play at, because this attitude certainly isn't prevalent anywhere I've played, or among anyone I know. I've got a very open schedule, where I can play whenever I want, making a lot of people think I'm retired. The guys that are 10, 15, 20 years older than me, and actually retired, are never bitter about it. When I have a chance to play with guys in their 20's and 30's who have enough freedom to get out whenever they want, whether because their job allows it or they retired young, it never bothers me at all. And that attitude is shared by pretty much everyone I know and play with.

> > > > >

> > > > > Yeah I have to agree. Whenever I see this as a generalization I tend to think someone is just hanging around the wrong clubs and people.

> > > >

> > > > There's only a couple clubs nearby, hardly anyone young players here.

> > >

> > > What is the mix? Lot's of retirees with a few tourists?

> >

> > Yes. The course barely has a member under 55.

> >

> You definitely do see that in those types of communities in certain areas. I have not encountered it very much in the Midwest though. Age is not such a big thing, wealth on the other hand can still be a great divider.

Upper and lower extremities tend to have the same mindset - to grow as a person and help others grow with them. The problem comes nearer the middle of the field.

> @tanker44 said:

> I can assure you that ClupCorp will be much closer to destroying hundreds more private golf clubs and golfing communities.

So what? It's growing the game. Why care so much about the materialist nature of the physical existence of an individual club instead of the people in it (and great good)?