Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Man dies in golf cart accident

wombat_vortex ·  
wombat_vortexwombat_vortex  205Members Posts: 205

Here is a story about a guy who appears to have been drinking, takes his cart down a steep hill and crashes. Looks like he came to a bridge a hit the posts at a high speed. I've played this course a few times and I know exactly where this happened. It's a steep and winding down hill path, not surprised this happened at this spot. Makes me think of courses where you come to a sharp turn on the cart path and no railing, you think well I can imagine a few people have put their carts down there after a few pops.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/transportation/article235906247.html

Posted:

Comments

• sprcoopsprcoop Tucson, AZ 907Members Posts: 907

@wombat_vortex said:
    Here is a story about a guy who appears to have been drinking, takes his cart down a steep hill and crashes. Looks like he came to a bridge a hit the posts at a high speed. I've played this course a few times and I know exactly where this happened. It's a steep and winding down hill path, not surprised this happened at this spot. Makes me think of courses where you come to a sharp turn on the cart path and no railing, you think well I can imagine a few people have put their carts down there after a few pops.

I don't think people realize how bad the traction is on golf carts. Hard tires, large contact patch, no friction. A little dirt or sand on a cart path and might as well be ice.

Paired with random threesome after a few holes so I had my own cart. Young guys drinking (not too much). Good guys but a little rambunctious. Following them from an elevated tee with switch backs down to the fairway. They got going a little too fast and spun out, did a 180 on one of the switchbacks. They stayed on the path (miracle) but scared the c**p out of me.

Never want to see that again.

Posted:

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S
    3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R
    3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R
    2I: TourModel III True Temper S
    3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S
    SW: TourModel III True Temper S
    Putter: Cobra Anvil 005
    Ball: Ksig 3 piece

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole  1324Members Posts: 1,324

We recently had a lady pass away in a cart accident here. My buddy was in her foursome that day. Not good... I've spent a little time comforting my friend through this - and getting him back out on the course. Don't want to get into the details on it. But, it was sobering to me. Things can turn ugly quickly if we're not careful and a pleasant round can be life-ending with a lapse of attention or a few too many drinks.

Posted:

Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
    Ping G400 5-wood
    Ping Anser G putter

Snell MTB-X

Knee Deep Breaking Bud IPA

• Krt22Krt22 East Bay 7740Members Posts: 7,740

@sprcoop said:

@wombat_vortex said:

I don't think people realize how bad the traction is on golf carts. Hard tires, large contact patch, no friction. A little dirt or sand on a cart path and might as well be ice.

Paired with random threesome after a few holes so I had my own cart. Young guys drinking (not too much). Good guys but a little rambunctious. Following them from an elevated tee with switch backs down to the fairway. They got going a little too fast and spun out, did a 180 on one of the switchbacks. They stayed on the path (miracle) but scared the c**p out of me.

Never want to see that again.

High CG and no real suspension either. I unfortunately was a passenger in one of these types of wrecks, sharp turn down hill from a very elevated tee box,, cart went wide/onto 2 wheels, eventually flipped and we ended up with the cart on top of us at the bottom of a ditch some 40-50 feet down a ravine. Very happy to walk away with just minor cuts and quite sore.

Posted:
  • RSinSGRSinSG St George, UT (Formerly Palm Springs, CA) 3259ClubWRX Posts: 3,259

When I play courses like Wolf Creek and Coral Canyon I am always ready to bail out of the cart if somehow the brakes fail. They have some serious drop offs and unless you drive at a crawl it is real dicey.

Posted:
    Ping G410 Tensi Orange
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course
  • ssf301ssf301  79Members Posts: 79

@RSinSG said:
    When I play courses like Wolf Creek and Coral Canyon I am always ready to bail out of the cart if somehow the brakes fail. They have some serious drop offs and unless you drive at a crawl it is real dicey.

Exactly......Wolf Creek in particular.... some spectacular views from those tee boxes, but geez.....

Posted:

Advertisement
  • swancerswancer TN 84Members Posts: 84

I see kids in these junior tournaments hitching rides in spectator carts headed out to play or when allowed to do so with long walks between tee boxes. It scare the crap out of me to see them hanging out the side or riding on the bag area with their bags on their backs. I have told my kids, I better never catch them doing that or participating in any way.

Like others have said, it happens a lot more than we think. May not always be death, but major injuries can happen. Look on youtube and see some of these idiots running people over when they are at address and doing other very stupid stuff on the golf course.

Posted:

Taylormade M4 Driver & 3 Wood
    Callaway Fusion FT Hybrids
    Cobra Forged TEC Black 5-GW
    Cobra KING Black 54 & 58
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Black
    Black Ping Hoofer 14 Way
    Sun Mountain C130 Cart Bag

• golfgirlrobingolfgirlrobin  2382Members Posts: 2,382

This is actually the second cart related death at Apple Mountain. There was another one several years ago that was the talk of the town for awhile. It’s a stunning course that we play every once in awhile because it’s up above the valley heat, but it’s got a million spots where you could flip a cart even if you’re not drunk, stupid or both. I can’t remember if the carts have governors on them, but they should. I hate governors, but I think that lots of people assume that paths are designed so that you can drive safely at full speed and that’s certainly not true at Apple Mountain.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
    Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
    Irons: TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway PM Grind 59* and 64*
    Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch
    Ball:  Titleist Pro V1 

@golfgirlrobin said:
    This is actually the second cart related death at Apple Mountain. There was another one several years ago that was the talk of the town for awhile. It’s a stunning course that we play every once in awhile because it’s up above the valley heat, but it’s got a million spots where you could flip a cart even if you’re not drunk, stupid or both. I can’t remember if the carts have governors on them, but they should. I hate governors, but I think that lots of people assume that paths are designed so that you can drive safely at full speed and that’s certainly not true at Apple Mountain.

Yeah, my family loves that course so we play it about once per year. Beautiful course, but serious for cart navigation. I almost got struck by lightening there too about 17 years ago on the 18th fairway.

I just played Sunridge golf course just south of Carson City. That one has some insane cart path navigation...

Posted:

Ping G400 5-wood
    Ping Anser G putter

Snell MTB-X

• MojoEdMojoEd  179Members Posts: 179

Local course; no drinking. Cart path with steep decline on right side if path. Guy caught the edge; cart went over and flipped pinning him underneath. Nearly drowned; ended up a quadriplegic. Wife dumped him. Be safe out there; golf carts are no joke. https://abilityfitnesscenter.org/about-fred-hetzel/

Posted:
  • NonCompetitive1NonCompetitive1  159Members Posts: 159

Rest in peace. Drinking poison shouldn't be allowed in society never mind on the golf course. Shame what happened to him when he just wanted to play golf and enjoy himself. I do think carts aren't particularly safe, it would be better if they were more like mini cars with big safety for the driver and passenger. If I had a course I wouldn't want anyone to run a cart around the course, it would be walking only. That would be better for the golfers anyway.

Posted:

Formless, shapeless.

Advertisement
  • jobinjobin  47Members Posts: 47

If i recall correctly, some novice golfer, and possibly non-car driver died on the public course in Hong Kong while navigating the steep and wet cart path. Few car owners in HK.
    Since that time any person seeking to drive a golf cart on one of those 2 courses must show auto Drivers License, from any country or State. And one of the 2 courses is mandatory, but free, golf carts.

Posted:

@NonCompetitive1 said:
    Rest in peace. Drinking poison shouldn't be allowed in society never mind on the golf course. Shame what happened to him when he just wanted to play golf and enjoy himself. I do think carts aren't particularly safe, it would be better if they were more like mini cars with big safety for the driver and passenger. If I had a course I wouldn't want anyone to run a cart around the course, it would be walking only. That would be better for the golfers anyway.

Golf carts offer a Darwinian opportunity. Many of the courses out here would have to close if they didn't have carts. The older I get the less bolder I get...

Posted:

Ping G400 5-wood
    Ping Anser G putter

Snell MTB-X

• ShankLifeShankLife  64Members Posts: 64

That's a **** shame. What should have been a fun and relaxing time under the sun with some sticks turned bad. **** shame. I've seen maybe 4 - 5 carts tip over in all of the rounds I've played. Only one was because of drinking for sure. The others were hard turns and edges caught from fairway to cart path with a lip or curb with no injuries.
    A few years back, there was an Instagram account that "glorified" or shared or whatever you wanna call it, of people getting tagged by golf carts or bumped etc. It was taken down because someone got seriously injured from it but, it was a big hashtag and had a trend.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the next few years, golf carts will be a bit more regulated or maybe even swapped out for another form of bag carrying.

Posted:

@ShankLife said:
    That's a **** shame. ...
    I wouldn't be surprised if in the next few years, golf carts will be a bit more regulated or maybe even swapped out for another form of bag carrying.

That's an interesting point. You know...I wouldn't be surprised either. To keep some perspective on this - I'd be willing to bet that honey bees or peanuts kill more people every year than golf carts do. But, the injuries are racking up and children are represented at a much higher rate than I'd have guessed - about 1/3 of injuries.

Where I live, driving my Tundra on our roads to the course stone sober is substantially more dangerous than driving the cart with a beer in my hand. But, that's another discussion.

Posted:

Ping G400 5-wood
    Ping Anser G putter

Snell MTB-X

• scboostscboost  2Members Posts: 2

I know drinking has been synonymous with golfing for years, but I think its personally kinda of trashy. Save it for the clubhouse after the round. Prayers go to the family impacted by this.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • BirdyjuiceBirdyjuice Granbury, Tx 25Members Posts: 25

Just like any other hazard, there is a risk to everything and sometimes unfortunate events take place. We’ve seen a few rollovers and broken bones at our course, mostly involving drinking and going down steep non cart path hills. Lesson learned, if it’s steep it’s better to leave the cart at the top of the hill and hike it up and down. Way better to break a sweat than break your neck.

Posted:
    • NEW

@BeerPerHole said:

@NonCompetitive1 said:

Golf carts offer a Darwinian opportunity. Many of the courses out here would have to close if they didn't have carts. The older I get the less bolder I get...

The problem is they are inherently dangerous. There's no shame in walking less holes than you used to, or playing less often. In terms of Birdyjuice's comment, I do agree at a certain level - but if you make a fatal mistake on a cart it's trouble. I'd like to get them banned. Hopefully someone manages to do it eventually, or at least gets them strictly regulated. I'll look into it eventually if I'm reminded.

Posted:
    • NEW

Formless, shapeless.

• Brunchz0rBrunchz0r Denmark 9Members Posts: 9

Terrible tragedy. But cant help thinking, is drinking while playing an inherently American thing? I cant score for **** if I drink while playing.

Posted:
    • NEW

Cobra King F9 - Hzrdus Smoke 6.0
    Ping i20 3w / hy - Project X black 6.0
    Wilson Staff FG Tour V6 - DG AMT S300
    Mizuno T7 60 / 56 / 51 - S300
    Mizuno Bettinardi BC1

• HoosierMizunoHoosierMizuno  3448Members Posts: 3,448

@NonCompetitive1 said:

@BeerPerHole said:

@NonCompetitive1 said:

The problem is they are inherently dangerous. There's no shame in walking less holes than you used to, or playing less often. In terms of Birdyjuice's comment, I do agree at a certain level - but if you make a fatal mistake on a cart it's trouble. I'd like to get them banned. Hopefully someone manages to do it eventually, or at least gets them strictly regulated. I'll look into it eventually if I'm reminded.

what about ladders, fireworks, scissors, scooters, motorcycles, .... any data to support your claim that carts are 'inherently dangerous'? what if you ban golf carts and an elderly man dies of a heat stroke walking up a hill? i can't tell if you're a serious person.

Posted:
    • NEW
    Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
    TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
    Cobra F8 19*
    J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
    Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
    TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 
  • larrybudlarrybud Rochester Hills, MI 11485Members Posts: 11,485

@NonCompetitive1 said:

@BeerPerHole said:

@NonCompetitive1 said:

Thanks for making a decision for me to not use a golf cart. I don't know how I've lived this long making decisions on my own.

Posted:
    • NEW

Advertisement
  • HellstormHellstorm  609Members Posts: 609

There are dangerous things all around us. I work in what could be considered a very dangerous industry.....everybody knows it is dangerous.....things are done to make it safer......some people still get hurt and disfigured. While it is a tragic turn of events, sometimes you just can't engineer stupidity out of the risk. I wonder how many people will be speeding down that hill now?

Posted:
    • NEW

@Hellstorm said:
    There are dangerous things all around us. I work in what could be considered a very dangerous industry.....everybody knows it is dangerous.....things are done to make it safer......some people still get hurt and disfigured. While it is a tragic turn of events, sometimes you just can't engineer stupidity out of the risk. I wonder how many people will be speeding down that hill now?

I agree. Good post.

Posted:
    • NEW

Formless, shapeless.

@HoosierMizuno said:

@NonCompetitive1 said:

@BeerPerHole said:

@NonCompetitive1 said:

what about ladders, fireworks, scissors, scooters, motorcycles, .... any data to support your claim that carts are 'inherently dangerous'? what if you ban golf carts and an elderly man dies of a heat stroke walking up a hill? i can't tell if you're a serious person.

Not every ladder, firework, scissors, scooters, motorcycles are made the same. But each carry a certain degree of risk. Walking the course obviously carries a risk different to a cart. Being born is a risk. Let's not get silly about things though. I'm not a serious person, I'm a helpful one. I hope that helps and sure it will. I'm real, believe me.

I don't want to comment about the old man. It makes sense to ask, but let's keep it civil. Sorry about what happened in the OP and thinking of the best way to make things safer for folks that's all.

Posted:
    • NEW

Formless, shapeless.

• playar32playar32  304Members Posts: 304

Dennis Walter become paralyzed in a golf cart accident. Sometimes it doesn't take people drinking, just people not paying attention.

Posted:
    • NEW
  • Krt22Krt22 East Bay 7740Members Posts: 7,740

@larrybud said:

@NonCompetitive1 said:

@BeerPerHole said:

@NonCompetitive1 said:

Thanks for making a decision for me to not use a golf cart. I don't know how I've lived this long making decisions on my own.

The clear solution is to require everyone on a golf course to wear a helmet. It will prevent head injuries in all sorts of on course mishaps. Cart crashes, errant shots, perhaps the chance if you trip over a tee marker or rake. The fact that there isn't a law yet is astounding, we are talking about a real public health crisis here.

Posted:
    • NEW

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file