2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Feedback on swing video

Hi all,

The season here is all finished and I’m going to try get back to the range and start making some changes to my swing.

Biggest problem I have, as many do, is with the driver where I’ve a two way miss, either a block or overdraw.

Just looking at my swing I can easily be critical about many parts but I think my sequencing on the downswing is all wrong and just looks cramped but I can’t quite put my finger on what’s causing it.

I appreciate it would be easier with face-on but I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions? I think my hand path perhaps could move out towards the ball more in transition?

Any feedback is appreciated

You say you have a 2 way miss..... ya but when you're playin what type of shot......Straight or all shots?

Your swing is solid enough to hit the ball however you want. You just gotta be in charge of the club face through impact for desired flight. Now if your lookin for a prettier swing there's lots of guys to help with that...like stand half inch closer to ball, don't be so rushed with transition at top of back swing, maybe even swing harder cause you're hittin a softy but looks like you got way more in tank.

Do you know how to play a fade or draw? It helps get rid of the 2 way miss the better you get at workin the ball...

Can't figure how to like my own posts

Plenty of depth in that swing, you could make a case there is too much. The very late wrist set and major float load is just creating too much variation in face angle and wrist sequencing.

• Like 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

> @Barfolomew said:

> You say you have a 2 way miss..... ya but when you're playin what type of shot......Straight or all shots?

>

> Your swing is solid enough to hit the ball however you want. You just gotta be in charge of the club face through impact for desired flight. Now if your lookin for a prettier swing there's lots of guys to help with that...like stand half inch closer to ball, don't be so rushed with transition at top of back swing, maybe even swing harder cause you're hittin a softy but looks like you got way more in tank.

>

> Do you know how to play a fade or draw? It helps get rid of the 2 way miss the better you get at workin the ball...

When playing tends to be a draw or straight ball flight, miss can be all ways to be honest (not by much in any direction but not consistent certainly).

I only really play 6/7 times a year and go to the range once a month on average due to family commitments but I do quite a bit of work just swinging a club in my living room so I can work on positions and technique but I’m aware I’m never going to have great feel for the club face which not playing a great deal (but hopefully can work in other fundamentals)

> @MonteScheinblum said:

> Plenty of depth in that swing, you could make a case there is too much. The very late wrist set and major float load is just creating too much variation in face angle and wrist sequencing.

Am I right in saying a float load at the top is generally bad as the opposing forces make it unstable?

Float loading in transition would probably be ok though? (Sergio, Cameron champ etc).

Would you suggest earlier wrist set & perhaps a small pause at the top to work on it?

Thanks again for all the replies guys.

The top load and dimensions are mostly determined by the bottom sequence: from address to first parallel, I guess it's called P1. In other words, back swings are essentially over by the first parallel, or even a little bit before, it's pretty much all momentum and rotation from that point forward, or backward, lol. From address to first parallel your back swing rate of width is much greater than your rate of depth which can make it difficult, among other items, to fold the trail arm properly: the forearm, through rotation, gains on the elbow.

> @bobilishious2 said:

> > @MonteScheinblum said:

> > Plenty of depth in that swing, you could make a case there is too much. The very late wrist set and major float load is just creating too much variation in face angle and wrist sequencing.

>

> Am I right in saying a float load at the top is generally bad as the opposing forces make it unstable?

>

> Float loading in transition would probably be ok though? (Sergio, Cameron champ etc).

>

> Would you suggest earlier wrist set & perhaps a small pause at the top to work on it?

>

> Thanks again for all the replies guys.

Earlier set yes and Sergio and champ aren’t radially deviating as much as you are.

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

> @MonteScheinblum said:

> > @bobilishious2 said:

> > > @MonteScheinblum said:

> > > Plenty of depth in that swing, you could make a case there is too much. The very late wrist set and major float load is just creating too much variation in face angle and wrist sequencing.

> >

> > Am I right in saying a float load at the top is generally bad as the opposing forces make it unstable?

> >

> > Float loading in transition would probably be ok though? (Sergio, Cameron champ etc).

> >

> > Would you suggest earlier wrist set & perhaps a small pause at the top to work on it?

> >

> > Thanks again for all the replies guys.

>

> Earlier set yes and Sergio and champ aren’t radially deviating as much as you are.

>

Hi Monte,

thank you for that.

Would you mind elaborating on the radial deviation part? would I be trying to feel more ulnar deviation on the takeaway and throughout the backswing?

> @"Ping's Duck" said:

> The top load and dimensions are mostly determined by the bottom sequence: from address to first parallel, I guess it's called P1. In other words, back swings are essentially over by the first parallel, or even a little bit before, it's pretty much all momentum and rotation from that point forward, or backward, lol. From address to first parallel your back swing rate of width is much greater than your rate of depth which can make it difficult, among other items, to fold the trail arm properly: the forearm, through rotation, gains on the elbow.

>

>

So conflating the feedback from yourself & Monte is likely be looking at hands working in deeper with earlier wrist set but setting them with flexion & extension type feel and less radial deviation?

I think the late set is possibly what's impacting consistency. I'd either encourage an earlier set in takeaway with existing length of swing, or lengthen swing slightly to allow set to take place naturally. It looks to me, though I am no expert that you've shortened your driver swing for control and that has had an impact on your mechanics. Overall you're getting the club in good positions but putting the club head in a more consistent "slot" at the top will allow you to work on a more reliable shot shape.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

Posture! Too upright. Like to see hands hang more under shoulders at setup. Its causing you to have too flat of a plane and too much depth, just slightly more tilting of your spine angle should do the trick. Agree with the late wrist set causing consistency, i had a similar problem,mainly overhinging. Id be interested to see a side angle too see when your getting to 90. For me a big key in stopping the overhinging past 90 was adding some flexion in left wrist or bowing. For some reason it really restricts the hinge.

I’m assuming you want to hit a draw?

You transition squat pattern is wrong. And I’m pretty sure it because you shoulder plane is so flat. When players are squat their butt should go behind them and their chest go down in front more causing your shoulder plane to get steeper. When you squat they don’t do that and you get no of the benefits of the squat

Your posture is almost 10 degrees too upright. That combined with your reach to the ball has you coming in way too shallow. The overall move is solid, but your setup is not and is the source of everything that follows. But, since I'm not Monte, you should probably take my comments with another grain of salt.

Thanks everyone, certainly a lot to think about!

Adjusting posture, more depth on takeaway, earlier wrist set & more radial deviation on backswing, less float load at top, smoother transition & more squat on downswing.

Should be able to sort that in half a session ?

(All advice taken with a pinch of salt of course ?‍♂️)

> @bobilishious2 said:

> Thanks everyone, certainly a lot to think about!

>

> Adjusting posture, more depth on takeaway, earlier wrist set & more radial deviation on backswing, less float load at top, smoother transition & more squat on downswing.

>

> Should be able to sort that in half a session ?

>

> (All advice taken with a pinch of salt of course ?‍♂️)

Before you go chasing weasels, here's a solid take from a past President Cupper to sink into and consider. He speaks of late loading naturally, which was changed when he moved to America and was baptized with domestic grains of salt. It's 8 minutes of pretty good insight to consider if you choose. His words on not knowing what to do with an early load is pretty good stuff, as prior to his change Hughes was a late load monster. Enjoy.

Hi again folks, thank you everyone for all the feedback, I’ve tried a few things on the range, bent over a little more at address, hands in, slightly earlier wrist cock in backswing (but needs more).

Attached is a video from today and I can’t seem to figure out why the shaft is so steep at half way back (think it would be P3?), does anyone have any ideas? As a result there seems to be a lot of rerouting of the club on the downswing.

Incorrect wrist movements. You’re pulling too hard on the butt of the club. You need left wrist flexion and ulnar deviation. Residual effects of so much float loading.

BERTRAND RUSSELL