2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Your worst experience on Ebay

Rory4Pres

Imagine a sweet putter is listed on ebay and you win the auction for it. You pay right away and await the shipping confirmation. The next day, instead of that, you get a cancellation notice from the seller with an email stating their paypal wasn't working right so they cancelled the sale and relisted it with their "new" paypal account. You go to the link and it was already bought by someone else. Now cancelling a sold/paid for item is a break in terms agreement on ebay's site without the approval of the buyer, but when you request the buyer calls ebay to fix the issue, they get lazy and think "well I've got my money, i'll just ship it to this other person". So you call ebay and they send you through 3 reps, all saying "sorry", "there's nothing we can do", etc...

That was my experience yesterday. Someone in California gets to enjoy my limited edition Scotty.

Vent over but I would like to hear if any of you have had nightmare experiences on ebay where ebay did nothing to make it right?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back around 2005 or 2006 eBay was a pretty new thing to me. I was able to find tickets to a concert that my wife wanted to go to, and they were not cheap...$750 for 2 tickets front and center. So, having looked at the seller's rating, I decided it was a good thing. He had about 133 reviews, all of them positive. The deal was the tickets would be mailed to me and received a week before the concert date.

Well, the week of the concert comes and no tickets were to be found. So I go to the seller's page, and notice he now had 4 or 5 negative reviews. "This is a scam! Never received my tickets! Seller completely unresponsive!" and so on and so forth. So all of my attempts to contact the seller went unnoticed, and the concert came and went with nothing to show for it.

So I filed a complaint. Several weeks (or more) pass, and finally eBay gets back to me. Unbeknownst to me, since I had purchased the tickets well in advance (almost 60 days), if you are to file a complaint for not receiving an item it must be done within THIRTY days of the purchase of the item. Maybe I missed the fine print, but I was not aware. Needless to say I learned a valuable lesson that day. I went so far as to contact the Attorney General of Nebraska (which is where PayPal was domiciled), and they were unable to assist because of the statute of limitations set.

That was the last time I ever used eBay or PayPal.

> @vaca22 said:

> Back around 2005 or 2006 eBay was a pretty new thing to me. I was able to find tickets to a concert that my wife wanted to go to, and they were not cheap...$750 for 2 tickets front and center. So, having looked at the seller's rating, I decided it was a good thing. He had about 133 reviews, all of them positive. The deal was the tickets would be mailed to me and received a week before the concert date.

>

> Well, the week of the concert comes and no tickets were to be found. So I go to the seller's page, and notice he now had 4 or 5 negative reviews. "This is a scam! Never received my tickets! Seller completely unresponsive!" and so on and so forth. So all of my attempts to contact the seller went unnoticed, and the concert came and went with nothing to show for it.

>

> So I filed a complaint. Several weeks (or more) pass, and finally eBay gets back to me. Unbeknownst to me, since I had purchased the tickets well in advance (almost 60 days), if you are to file a complaint for not receiving an item it must be done within THIRTY days of the purchase of the item. Maybe I missed the fine print, but I was not aware. Needless to say I learned a valuable lesson that day. I went so far as to contact the Attorney General of Nebraska (which is where PayPal was domiciled), and they were unable to assist because of the statute of limitation set.

>

> That was the last time I ever used eBay or PayPal.

Wow, that's rough. Sorry to hear that.

I have been on ebay since 1999 and 100% feedback until about two years ago. At that time, I posted and sold a motherboard/CPU combo for $200. I got paid and sent it out no problems. I was also literally moving houses that week and when I sent it out I misplaced the receipt with tracking info on it. I have sold so many things up to that point and buyer had good feedback I just didn't think anything of it. About three weeks pass and I got a notice of product not received yet claim from the buyer. He was claiming I never put in tracking # and that he hasn't gotten item yet.

I tried to reason with him in messages that I have 100% feedback and sent it out that night after he paid via Priority Mail. He eventually escalated it to ebay and I contacted them myself as well. They actually sided with me and basically said same that I have great history and I obligated my end by sending it even though I didn't enter in tracking number. They closed his claim and I thought that was end of it.

Few days later he opened a new claim at Paypal. Same thing about that I didn't put in tracking info and he hasn't got it. At this point I scoured my new home looking for that darn receipt that would end this BS. I could not find it at all. I then called the post office I sent it from and they could not help me at all. They said they don't keep a database of all stuff sent to or from an address as they deal with millions per day. If I had tracking # they could help me locate it or confirm it was delivered. I must have spent 2-3 hours looking for that receipt determined to not let him win.

Eventually Paypal "investigated" and awarded him full refund from my bank account. I literally had zero ability to prevent a refund. I called Paypal and they were so unfriendly and robotic it was a waste of time. I asked them WHERE is my motherboard then? I'll gladly refund him if I got motherboard back. They didn't care and said I should have kept tracking #. The buyer says he never got it, you can't show proof it was sent so he gets refund.

To this day I don't know if he was telling the truth that he never got it OR he pulled a delicate scam on me knowing I didn't have the tracking # and odds were in his favor. All I know is in the end I was out a $200 motherboard/CPU combo. Gone... Poof. I was so mad at Paypal I actually thought of disconnecting my bank account from them so they couldn't withdraw the $200 to cover the refund but I read this was a bad idea as somewhere down the line they will send it to collections.

Taylormade R11 9° Diamana™ S 62
Sub 70 639-CB 4-PW, KBS Tour 120 S
Wilson FG PMP wedges 52° & 56°, DG S400

Star Sidewinder Black grips - standard + 2 wraps
Tommy Armour Impact #3 Putter 34"
Callaway Chrome Soft golf balls

Thankfully all of my golf-related ebay actions have been ok to great. Unfortunately, I did sell a pair of oakley Px frames to someone. I got a message saying he was stationed overseas and asked if i could instead send it to an APO instead of the address listed on his ebay account. I figured he's military and I could at least do him this favor for serving. Everything seemed ok until next month when he opened up a claim of never receiving the item. Since i did not send it to the listed address, ebay/paypal refunded back his money. Who knows if he was telling the truth or not but I'll never send it anywhere but the verified address again... lesson learned

You can get screwed either way. I closed my account I n 2005 due to this.

I sell a mint 17k mile 1973 T bird on eBay. I mean this car is cherry. Original tires and all. Goes to a guy in Texas. He pays with PayPal. Sale price was $3800 ( cheap but I had $1500 in it from estate sale ). Transport picks it up. Delivers it in 3 days. The minute he gets it he initiated a dispute claiming things like incorrect wingnut on air cleaner , and the biggie ( so he says ) missing windshield wiper blades . Clearly just a scam to get his money back and the car. Or a discount. This car had the disappearing type wipers that close down behind the hood. I honesty never turned them on. But at any rate $50 would replace them and make it a non issue. Paypal pulls the whole amount from my account. And sides with him. After a lot of back and forth they refuse to reverse the chargeback. And I have a choice. Sue or eat it. I consult an attorney, and after quick math it’s easy to see if just lose more chasing it in another state. So we wrote off the $3800 with the business rather than spend $5k more to get the car back ( $1200 shipping plus attorney and filing fees )

Sounds unbelievable or even like I just dropped it. But there was just no way to chase it across the country. Not without throwing good money after bad. And eBay and PayPal literally would not hear what I was saying. That Deal has always haunted me on principle alone. I like to secretly hope that car burst into flames at some point.

I closed my PayPal and eBay account then and there. They are woefully biased towards the buyer. The real lesson there was never accept anything except cash or cashiers check a week ahead of time for a car.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> You can get screwed either way. I closed my account I n 2005 due to this.

>

> I sell a mint 17k mile 1973 T bird on eBay. I mean this car is cherry. Original tires and all. Goes to a guy in Texas. He pays with PayPal. Sale price was $3800 ( cheap but I had $1500 in it from estate sale ). Transport picks it up. Delivers it in 3 days. The minute he gets it he initiated a dispute claiming things like incorrect wingnut on air cleaner , and the biggie ( so he says ) missing windshield wiper blades . Clearly just a scam to get his money back and the car. Or a discount. This car had the disappearing type wipers that close down behind the hood. I honesty never turned them on. But at any rate $50 would replace them and make it a non issue. Paypal pulls the whole amount from my account. And sides with him. After a lot of back and forth they refuse to reverse the chargeback. And I have a choice. Sue or eat it. I consult an attorney, and after quick math it’s easy to see if just lose more chasing it in another state. So we wrote off the $3800 with the business rather than spend $5k more to get the car back ( $1200 shipping plus attorney and filing fees )

>

> Sounds unbelievable or even like I just dropped it. But there was just no way to chase it across the country. Not without throwing good money after bad. And eBay and PayPal literally would not hear what I was saying. That Deal has always haunted me on principle alone. I like to secretly hope that car burst into flames at some point.

>

> I closed my PayPal and eBay account then and there. ** They are woefully biased towards the buyer**. The real lesson there was never accept anything except cash or cashiers check a week ahead of time for a car.

Not always. I bought nice barely used Cleveland wedge from a large reseller on eBay about a year and a half ago. I made them an offer which they accepted and then I paid promptly. They shipped right away and provided a tracking number which I followed as the package made its way across the country. It was delivered to me personally by my postie, so was never out of the hands of the carriers. I opened the box and it was empty. You could see where it had been tampered with and then resealed.

I contacted the buyer. The only response I got was that tracking indicated that it had been delivered. Communication ceased at that point. Escalated to eBay at that point to which they sided with the seller who had very high feedback on tens of thousands of transactions. I asked for a review of the decision to which I was turned down again. It was clear to me that the package had been tampered with and the contents removed, but I had no proof beyond an empty box. I called eBay and the CSR I spoke with would do a further review. Finally, after a couple of more days of harping they gave me a goodwill refund, but I would be out shipping costs. The seller would have had to initiate the insurance claim to cover that, but they wouldn't even talk to me.

It took me a year before I gave buying on eBay another shot and I've been okay so far. I won't sell there as I won't deal with the hassel and questionable shipping. I have boycotted the seller that hung me out to dry as that's my only recourse, but it won't make a bit of difference to them.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa