2020 PGA Merchandise Show Coverage.... Here.

- Pro V1x left dash review

GC70 ·  
GC70GC70 What's Next?State of Hockey 7700WRX Points: 271Handicap: 7.1ClubWRX Posts: 7,700

Thanks for the great opportunity to try these out Darrin! :drinks:

So, I got these in the mail today and headed to the course before the rain. The first thing I noticed was the color and tackiness (grippy) or should I say lack of. Do you know what I mean when you rub two golf balls together they like grip each other. These do not. The white was different than the other balls in the test almost cheap looking. (n)

I tested the left Dash against the Pro V1, Pro V1x, and the AVX.:popcorn: The weather was 61* and really windy. My home course is a link style, started drizzling on #8 and lasted the rest of the round. I hit all 4 balls on every shot. I took the longest drive and played all 4 from there. I putted all four on every green and chipped from at least 2 different spots at every green.
My gamer for years have been the Pro V1x. The last 5 rounds I switched to the V1 and my last 5 rounds were in the 70's.

Driver:

V1 - Longest
AVX - Straightest

• V1x - Really loud off the driver. it might not have enough spin for me to keep it in the air. All the tee shots I thought I just creamed it and it was never the longest on any hole I used driver.
    V1x - It was the shortest of the bunch and missed the most fairways to the left.

Irons and Hybrid:

All the balls performed really well. The V1x missed my target the most. All balls that hit the green never really ran out more than 5 feet. Again the -V1x was loud.

Chipping:

The V1x checked the most and the -V1x released the most, but nothing major.

Putting:

I had no problems putting with any of the 4 balls.

The -V1x is a great ball in it's own, but its not for me. It's to loud and hard feeling off the driver. It just doesn't work for me off the driver. I need all the distance I can get off the tee box. I can not afford to give up 10 to 20 yards.

So for now I'll be sticking with the V1.

Posted:
Atmos Blue 6S
 Atmos Red 7S
Atmos Blue 8S
Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite
SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M - 62M
Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)
Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)
Scotty T22 Newport
Pro V1x /

WITB Link

Comments

• tungstenplugtungstenplug Washington, D.C. 281WRX Points: 298Members Posts: 281

Thanks for the review. You mentioned "load" a few times regarding the v1x left dash. What does "load" mean in this context?

Posted:

Titleist 915 D3 8.5*
    Titleist 915F 15*
    Titleist 915H 21*
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey 50* 54* 58*
    Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • GC70GC70 What's Next? State of Hockey 7700WRX Points: 271Handicap: 7.1ClubWRX Posts: 7,700

On -, @kevinscott22 said:

Thanks for the review. You mentioned "load" a few times regarding the v1x left dash. What does "load" mean in this context?

OMG, I'm such a dumb a$$ LOUD

Posted:
    Atmos Blue 6S
     Atmos Red 7S
    Atmos Blue 8S
    Scotty T22 Newport
    Pro V1x /

WITB Link
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984  5763WRX Points: 1,221Handicap: 3Members Posts: 5,763

Interesting to hear some thoughts on these. I am sure Titleist’s main balls will remain as the original V1 and V1x but there must be a market out there for this kind of thing. For me though, it’s a pass.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • IvyguyIvyguy  1607WRX Points: 259Members Posts: 1,607

Based on what I heard, it takes a bit load of club head speed to get these balls to perform. Assuming that's the reason they were tour balls.

I swing the club like a 4 year old, so I'll stick with mere-mortal balls.

Posted:
  • HappyGilmore22HappyGilmore22  526WRX Points: 176Handicap: 2Members Posts: 526

What is your swing speed? My driver is 118-120 on ave and this ball fits me really well. Pro V1x and left dash similar off the tee but I gained a few yards carry with left dash in the mid irons likely due to the less spin. Around the green the left dash didn't quite bite as much but still had good spin that is sufficient. Slightly firmer feeling left dash off the putter. I prefer the left dash as my ball right now since I like the spin reduction in the mid irons and firmer feel.

Posted:
    TaylorMade M5 8 deg - Fujikura Speeder Evolution I 757 TX
    Titleist TS3 14 deg - Project X Even Flow T1100 White 85 6.5
    Titleist 816 H2 19 deg - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 90x
    Titleist T200 4-5, T100 6-PW - Project X 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black - 50.12 F, 54.10 S, 58.12 D - TT DG S400
    Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 1.5
  • GC70GC70 What's Next? State of Hockey 7700WRX Points: 271Handicap: 7.1ClubWRX Posts: 7,700

On -, @HappyGilmore22 said:

What is your swing speed? My driver is 118-120 on ave and this ball fits me really well. Pro V1x and left dash similar off the tee but I gained a few yards carry with left dash in the mid irons likely due to the less spin. Around the green the left dash didn't quite bite as much but still had good spin that is sufficient. Slightly firmer feeling left dash off the putter. I prefer the left dash as my ball right now since I like the spin reduction in the mid irons and firmer feel.

I’m only at 100. I didn’t lose any distance with the irons just the driver and hybrid. Around the green it was just fine, just really loud and hard feeling for me.

Posted:
    Atmos Blue 6S
     Atmos Red 7S
    Atmos Blue 8S
    Scotty T22 Newport
    Pro V1x /

WITB Link

Advertisement
  • zdtallanzdtallan Maryland 97WRX Points: 52Handicap: 4.0Members Posts: 97

I recently played a round with the -ProV1x so I'll try to chime in with some thoughts as well. For reference, my Driver SS is around the 110 range and I typically play the ProV1 but I'm also a high spin guy so I figured this would be a good experiment to see if I could bring those numbers down a bit.

Off the driver you can definitely tell the difference between the ProV and the Left Dash, as it is much firmer and almost has a clicky feel. That being said I did find that head to head the left dash was longer than the ProV and it noticeably lowered my flight. Based off of that alone I'm guessing that the spin numbers were down from the ProV.

The downside is I like how my irons perform and the Left Dash just didn't feel as good as a ProV. I'm sure I could get used to it and try to factor in a bit of rollout but it still felt a bit clicky.

ProV was better around the greens and they were equal as far as putting goes.

Posted:
  • Ski5280Ski5280 Denver, CO 80WRX Points: 33Members Posts: 80

Played the front nine with the -ProV1x today. I will confirm what all are saying. The balls are loud and feel very hard coming off the clubface; irons and driver. I wonder what the compression on these is? I thought the driver handled them well, but the irons were a bit short for me. For me they fly much lower than V1s. I prefer regular V1s and V1x’s to these. I was pretty surprised by this since I though I would like the lower spin. I may just not have enough swing for them. Driver 110-115. I may try them again on a windy day. They may work for me well in those conditions.

Posted:
  • cmatthews77cmatthews77 AL 881WRX Points: 105Handicap: 1.5Members Posts: 881

So the ProV is already lower spinning and lower launching than the ProV1x yet not as hard feeling. So is the -ProV1x supposed to be essentially a lower spinning and lower launching version of the X but maintaining the hard/firmness of the X. ?

I already think the AVX can be a bit too low spinning off the driver for me but then again the ProV1 just fits me well.

Posted:
    Callaway
    Epic Flash Sub Zero 9 degree - Hzrdus Yellow HC
    GBB Epic 3W (14) - Fubuki ax 
    GBB Epic 5W (18) - Project X HZRDUS
    Apex 3 (20) & 4 (23) Hybrid- Kuro Kage
    '16 Apex CF16 (5i), '16 Apex Pro (6,7), '18 Apex MB (8-PW) Recoil 95
    MD3 Black 52 & '19 PM Grind 58
    Toulon Design Odyssey Atlanta
  • Red4282Red4282  616WRX Points: 247Members Posts: 616

Guys there is not that much difference in these balls. Were are talking 1/2 a degree Of launch and maybe 2-300 revs on a wedge, which in the grand scheme of things, isnt gonna be that noticeable. Just go watch the Latest txg video. The biggest difference is going to be feel, especially around the greens.

Posted:
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky  2411WRX Points: 806Members Posts: 2,411

On -, @cmatthews77 said:

So the ProV is already lower spinning and lower launching than the ProV1x yet not as hard feeling. So is the -ProV1x supposed to be essentially a lower spinning and lower launching version of the X but maintaining the hard/firmness of the X. ?

I already think the AVX can be a bit too low spinning off the driver for me but then again the ProV1 just fits me well.

The launch stays the same as the 1x just the spin drops

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Jonlewis031Jonlewis031  27WRX Points: 52Handicap: 15Members Posts: 27

My review of left dash (I’m a 9 handicap, driver swing speed in the 105 range)

Driver: A- big high ballflight, really nice. Less spin than Snell, more spin than QStar Tour.

Long irons: A+ amazing. Nice compressed feel, nice high ballflight, perfect spin into greens. I struggle getting my long irons in the air. These are amazing.

Mid iron/scoring irons: B more clunky feeling, the ball is much harder than ProV1, so it doesn’t feel like the ball compresses with these clubs. Ball dances on the green just like you’d expect, however. I felt like I might’ve been losing a few yards in mid irons. Not a problem if it’s predictable/dependable.

Full wedge, 1/2 wedge shots: A- clunky feel again, but the ball is hop and stop (not sucking back unpredictably) which is exactly what I like for my short game wedge play.

Greenside: A- absolutely perfect spin, feels just like a Prov1x. ProV1 has better feel as the ball is softer overall.

Final grade: A. This hits all the marks: sticky and spinny around the green, nice high ball flights with longer clubs, and a LOT less spin with driver. The clunky hard ball feel with scoring clubs could be a turnoff, but a Prov1 player probably already ruled out Prov1x for the same reasons. An under the radar big win if you are a high spin player with some ballspeed.

Posted:
  • ObeeObee  4052WRX Points: 840Handicap: +1ClubWRX Posts: 4,052

I thought they are saying that the left dash is HIGHER launching and flying, but with lower spin. But I'm guessing you have to have pretty high club head speed to compress it. Bet it's 110 compression to "compete" with the Snell that won the **** challenge thingy. That Snell ball is like 112(?) compression. Was longest ball they tested by like 8 yards.

Posted:
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky  2411WRX Points: 806Members Posts: 2,411

Highly doubt it was designed to compete agai at snell considering it’s been a tour only ball for 2 years or so and wasn’t designed for retail release.

Posted:
  • ObeeObee  4052WRX Points: 840Handicap: +1ClubWRX Posts: 4,052

That's why I put "compete" in quotation marks. :-)

Posted:
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)
  • bcflyguy1bcflyguy1 Enjoying my coffee...  3067WRX Points: 155Handicap: 0.0Members Posts: 3,067

I have a couple rounds in with the LDV1x now, and so far my thoughts are as follows:

1. Have found the performance characteristics to be exactly as Titleist describes.
    2. Performance bears a striking resemblance to perhaps my favorite ball of all time, the Nike Tour Accuracy DD.
    3. Definitely has the heavy feel and louder impact sound that one would associate with a higher compression ball. It reminds me of Callaway's tour balls before Chrome Soft in that regard.
    4. While I've found the short game spin sufficient for the current conditions at my home club, I can see where most PGA Tour guys would want more spin than this has for the green firmness and speed they typically see.
    5. Ball does feel heavy at impact, but it also has the "heavy" flight characteristics often more associated with the V1. Head winds and cross winds just don't seem to bother the LD that much for how high it wants to fly.
    6. Don't notice much difference in the feel off the putter, but I do use a White Hot Pro insert which tends to make balls feel and sound more similar than milled putters typically do.
    7. While I was concerned about flyers on short irons with this ball, it's only happened once so far and I think it was my fault more than that of the ball. I can get a bit shallow and sweep-ish with short irons at times, and I think that's why I got 15 bonus yards out of one 8 iron from a clean and dry lie.
    8. Durability is exceptional, perhaps the best I've ever encountered in a urethane covered ball.
    9. It's as long as anything else out there.

In short, the reasons that this version of the ball was not mass produced make themselves pretty evident. However, I've liked it more than I expected to so far and can already see it making a strong case to be in play on a regular basis.

Posted:
    Never forget that the luxury of being
    wrong is not enough to make you right.
    WITB Link

Advertisement
  • JStangJStang  2675WRX Points: 285Handicap: 7.1Members Posts: 2,675

I am going to have to give this ball a try. Over the last two rounds, I have been punished getting punished by hitting my ProV1x close to the hole and it zipping back giving me 20+ footers instead of inside of 10 feet. I even spun a 7 iron back a few inches on a flat landing spot on the green.

Posted:
    '16 M2 Rogue Fairway | 915H 2 | T-MB 3, 718 CB 4-PW | Vokey SM6 52, SM7 58 | Toulon LV
  • SBH9458SBH9458 Go Army! Beat Navy!  1196WRX Points: 172Handicap: ClimbingMembers Posts: 1,196

Headed for trying these out. Maybe as soon as tomorrow. For all the reasons that have been stated around feel and spin, and upon recommendation of a pro I know. Let ya know what I see when I can!

Posted:
  • crispEcrispE  2WRX Points: 15Handicap: 3.2Members Posts: 2

Idk about the average experience here, but my club head speed is roughly 112 to 114 at 40 degrees f and 1400 elevation. I basically went from 270 carry with -2ft of roll to 270 carry with 5-20 yards of roll. Big improvement for me, and on 100 yards and closer identical spin. At 200-120 yards i actually get more spin than a regular prov1x. Not an option for me, ive always had high launch high spin.

When i say not an option, i mean its not an option for me to play anything but the left dash. Its improved every part of my game.

Posted:
  • ShilgyShilgy Phoenix 12115WRX Points: 1,211Handicap: 2.9Members Posts: 12,115

Really? You had to go there? I have about 13 dozen Pro V and TP5X aquired through travel reward points and you need to compare this to the Nike TA DD? ****, now I need to give these a try.

edited to add....1939 da*n was ok for Rhett but 80 years later wrx bleeps it? Smh

Posted:
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.