2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Bay Area Top Public Courses

James the Hogan Fan

I was having a discussion with my golfing friends about our favorite/best courses in the Bay Area after a round at Callippe Preserve, which we thought could be top 5 or at least top 10 public for the region.

I submit:

1. Presidio

2. Wente Vineyards

3. Callippe Preserve

4. Half Moon Bay Old

5. Bridges

But wait! That's a pathetic list; where's Harding? Corica South? Baylands? Well I haven't played those, (or many others) so I couldn't rank them. Some of you have played everything in the bay multiple times and I want to know what you think.

What would be your Top 5? 9 Bay Area counties only; no Pasatiempo! (Undisputed #1's are boring)

I'm traveling to San Fransisco for business next week and I have all of Friday to go play some golf. My flight home is a red eye at 11:00pm. I was thinking of renting a car and driving out to Half Moon Bay. I have never played in California and would love to play an oceanside course. My rough plan at this point is to rent a car in downtown when I check out, drive to Half Moon and play an afternoon round and then drop off the car at the airport. Any recommendations or suggestions? I was thinking of trying to get a round in at Pebble Beach but I may try to do that on another trip and book a stay and play package.

Thanks,

Russ

Harding

Half Moon Bay (Old & Ocean)

Cinnabar

Baylands

Monarch Bay - Realize this course does not get a lot of love. IMO Monarch is a solid test, long and links style. Just need to get out there early to avoid a looong round.

- Other course notes: Played Poppy Ridge once a long time ago and remembered it was solid. Have not played Corica South and heard it's the best public course now from others who have played. Also have not played Wente, Callippe Preserve or Coyote Creek (all which are supposed to be solid tracks). Never been a big fan of Presidio, especially at the green fees they charge as an SF resident.

I think Cinnabar is the best.

Calippe is pretty sweet

Poppy Ridge is nice, but it is not kept in as good as shape as it used to b

Coyote Tournament course is a stiff test, but if you ate highway noise and want to avoid the wind, stay away

I like the Ocean Course at Half Moon Bay, but it can be a bit pricy (have not played the links)

I like Wente, but a couple of funky holes and the price is ridiculous, around 149 prime time, not worth that

> @rstags said:

> Harding

> Half Moon Bay (Old & Ocean)

> Cinnabar

> Baylands

> Monarch Bay - Realize this course does not get a lot of love. IMO Monarch is a solid test, long and links style. Just need to get out there early to avoid a looong round.

>

> - Other course notes: Played Poppy Ridge once a long time ago and remembered it was solid. Have not played Corica South and heard it's the best public course now from others who have played. Also have not played Wente, Callippe Preserve or Coyote Creek (all which are supposed to be solid tracks). Never been a big fan of Presidio, especially at the green fees they charge as an SF resident.

Monarch is a sleeper for sure. I don't rate it at the top of the top, but if you or my regulars called me up and said 'hey how about Monarch this weekend' I wouldn't say no. It's a solid track.

Easy to get bogged down there, but I once played it on a Thursday afternoon in about 3:30, on a day when Alameda turned me away because they were full. Felt amazing.

Make the drive out to Callippe some time, I've got 20+ rounds there; I love the place.

> @dragone said:

> Public top10 consider cost effectiveness IMO at bay area.

>

> CINNABAR

> CALLIPE

> POPPY RIDGE

> HIDDEN BROOK

> EAGLE RIDGE

> BRIDGE

> DIABLO GRANDE

> EAGLE VINE

> CHADONNAY

> BODEGA

>

>

My list

Corica South

Poppy ridge (when greens are slick)

Callippe

Cinnabar

Harding Park

Eagle Ridge and Hiddenbrook have had a huge decline in course conditions, almost unplayable IMO. Poppyridge greens are all over the place so it’s 50/50

I hear baylands is nice but I’ve yet to play. HMB is awesome, but cost and location make it feel more resort/remote.

Sadly public Bay Area golf is on the decline, the land is just too valuable while the costs of labor, water, etc make it incredibly hard to maintain a course and be profitable. 5 public courses have closed over the last 3ish years (that I know of) why many others have had big declines in conditions.

Don't take the order too seriously I didn't want to think to hard on this lol.

1 Coyote Creek Tournament - Great test can be very windy. Course gets a little easier once you have played it a couple of times and learned the quirks.

2. Cinnabar - Only played once and loved the Lake 9

3. Poppy Ridge - Zin / Merlot - The tee boxes need to me moved up a little on 1 & 7 on the Merlot 9 imo but still a great track.

4. Wente Vineyards - Always in good shape and really nice sand in the bunkers but way overpriced. I always play in the spring / fall in the afternoon when the temps and price are down and get can get a full round in.

5. Harding Park - I am biased on this one because it just fits my eye so well for some reason.

6. Half Moon Bay Ocean - Pretty good layout with spectacular views. The pedestrians on 17 & 18 can be real annoying. I had a run in once with a couple of jackass parents that thought it was ok for their kid to run out to the 17th green and horse around. They acted like they had every right to do that and I had no business being there at all. Would not surprise me if a pedestrian has gotten their bell rung on 17 & 18.

1. **TPC Harding Park** - Been playing Harding before TPC took over when 6 hour rounds were the norm. I've always loved the layout. Could use a bit more variety. The majority of the holes are flat and straight. The ones that do have a dogleg are right to left. Still a great place to play and for me, the most convenient since I live in SF.

2. **Baylands Golf Links** - This course doesn't get enough love. Formally Palo Alto muni. Its wide open but still challenging at the same time. The greens are fast and a good mixture of holes. Good pace the majority of the time.

3. **Cinnabar Hills** - Quite a drive from San Francisco, but its worth it.

4. **Chuck Corica (South)** - I love links style courses and the layout is awesome.

5. **Hiddenbrooke** - People tend to forget about this course in Vallejo, which is about 45 minutes from SF (no traffic). An Arnold Palmer course that use to host LPGA events.

6. **Half Moon Bay (Old Course)** - If the green fee wasn't $170 on a weekend, this would rank higher. Many prefer the Ocean, but the Old Course is much more memorable.

Honorable Mention:

**Yocha Dehe** - Technically, it doesn't fall into the Bay Area. About an hour and half drive to Brooks and Cache Creek. Great to go stay Cache Creek then play the following morning. Unfortunately, Cache Creek doesn't allow hotel reservations on the weekends since they're all reserved for comped players.

• 2 weeks later...

Half Moon Bay (both. But prefer Old over Ocean. The Old has too many houses, but great shot values.)

Cinnabar

Poppy ridge

Harding

Wente

Corica South

Coyote tournament

Callippe

Baylands

Before they redid Corica South, I think Callippe was the best muni in the area outside of Harding. I dislike Callippe’s 11th and 18th holes a lot.

> @lchang said:

> Half Moon Bay (both. But prefer Old over Ocean. The Old has too many houses, but great shot values.)

> Cinnabar

> Poppy ridge

> Harding

> Wente

> Corica South

> Coyote tournament

> Callippe

> Baylands

>

>

> Before they redid Corica South, I think Callippe was the best muni in the area outside of Harding. I dislike Callippe’s 11th and 18th holes a lot.

Callippe has the hardest closing stretch of any course in the area I think. 15 is easy, but 16 at 190, 17 at 400-something with a forced layup off the tee, and then 18, which requires 3 good shots in a row. I've played that stretch in even and at +7...

11 is better since they touched up the green, but still kind of bland. Fun that it has no bunkers though.

Assessing value to courses around the bay area is tricky for me, so here's my ranking regardless of price:

1. Wente- maybe a little resort-y but the conditions are impeccable with a nice mix of holes.

2. Calipe- I think one of the more fun courses to play. It has a lot of similar traits to other upper end east bay and south bay courses with less gimmicks.

3. Corica South- Very cool and pure. First attempt at it was rough for me though

4. Harding Park- Plenty to knock but I love the classic layout and rare walkability for the bay area. Feels a lot like playing in the Seattle area, where I'm from.

5. Monarch Bay-Fun course and fair test

6. Bridges-Don't love that the course seems to span over an entire county but it's a fair/tough test and has some really nice holes.

7. Coyote Creek Tournament- Definitely a Jack Nicklaus course, which for me means: really nice and hard to complain about but just can't fall in love with it.

8. Baylands- Conditions are fantastic and I love the style of the course, but the holes are redundant and surprisingly difficult in the afternoon wind.

9. Cinnabar-really nice course but nothing sticks out to me

10. San Juan Oaks- fantastic front nine, would rate above 7-9 but the back nine is terrible and just stupid imo. Don't think I've ever seen such a flip in nines anywhere.

11. Poppy Ridge- it's nice but I hate the layout. There's maybe only a couples par 4 or 5s that you can see what's in front of you. Conditions were surprisingly suspect when I played there.

12. Shoreline- nice course, but it obviously needs a lot of maintenance particularly some assistance from Carl Spackler.

13. Eagle Ridge- Pretty much feel the same about it as Shoreline.

Notes: Just moved down here and I haven't played either HMB courses, Presidio, Coyote Creek Valley yet or anything around Napa and Sonoma. There's a few others I'd like to play as well, mainly on the penisula and east bay. Courses worth noting for disappointment and can't rank: Metropolitan-Could be really cool even being next to the airport but the conditions are horrendous even more so considering the prices and being next to Corica. Somewhat similar courses and prices but a world's difference in quality. Santa Clara was another but it's going out of business, looks like it may have been pretty solid at one point.

Summit pointe is the only other course I've played and it was better than I expected. Maybe not a true test, but a rare value and quick round for the bay area.

Ping G410 9 degree Fujikura Fuel Tour Spec 60X
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 3 wood Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75x
Srixon Z U65 18 GD Tour AD 95X
Honma 737vn 5-10 DG S400 AMT Tour Issue, 737P 4 iron 
Cleveland RTX4 Raw 60/6, 56/10, 52/10 DG S400 Tour Issue
Ping Vault Anser 2

I> @lchang said:

> Is San Juan Oaks in Hollister in the “Bay Area”?! ;-). Much closer to pebble beach than San Francisco!

>

> Anyway I love talking about Bay Area golf courses!

It’s a stretch for sure but figured I would include it as it might be the only course worth mentioning that’s beyond Eagle Ridge and not too far out for those in the South Bay.

Ping Vault Anser 2

> @evanm said:

> Assessing value to courses around the bay area is tricky for me, so here's my ranking regardless of price:

> 1. Wente- maybe a little resort-y but the conditions are impeccable with a nice mix of holes.

> 2. Calipe- I think one of the more fun courses to play. It has a lot of similar traits to other upper end east bay and south bay courses with less gimmicks.

> 3. Corica South- Very cool and pure. First attempt at it was rough for me though

> 4. Harding Park- Plenty to knock but I love the classic layout and rare walkability for the bay area. Feels a lot like playing in the Seattle area, where I'm from.

> 5. Monarch Bay-Fun course and fair test

> 6. Bridges-Don't love that the course seems to span over an entire county but it's a fair/tough test and has some really nice holes.

> 7. Coyote Creek Tournament- Definitely a Jack Nicklaus course, which for me means: really nice and hard to complain about but just can't fall in love with it.

> 8. Baylands- Conditions are fantastic and I love the style of the course, but the holes are redundant and surprisingly difficult in the afternoon wind.

> 9. Cinnabar-really nice course but nothing sticks out to me

> 10. San Juan Oaks- fantastic front nine, would rate above 7-9 but the back nine is terrible and just stupid imo. Don't think I've ever seen such a flip in nines anywhere.

> 11. Poppy Ridge- it's nice but I hate the layout. There's maybe only a couples par 4 or 5s that you can see what's in front of you. Conditions were surprisingly suspect when I played there.

> 12. Shoreline- nice course, but it obviously needs a lot of maintenance particularly some assistance from Carl Spackler.

> 13. Eagle Ridge- Pretty much feel the same about it as Shoreline.

>

> Notes: Just moved down here and I haven't played either HMB courses, Presidio, Coyote Creek Valley yet or anything around Napa and Sonoma. There's a few others I'd like to play as well, mainly on the penisula and east bay. Courses worth noting for disappointment and can't rank: Metropolitan-Could be really cool even being next to the airport but the conditions are horrendous even more so considering the prices and being next to Corica. Somewhat similar courses and prices but a world's difference in quality. Santa Clara was another but it's going out of business, looks like it may have been pretty solid at one point.

>

> Summit pointe is the only other course I've played and it was better than I expected. Maybe not a true test, but a rare value and quick round for the bay area.

Check out Pasatiempo.

>

> San Juan Oaks is definitely a trek...and not sure I would call it part ofthe Bay Area.

But it's worthy to be included in the conversation for those in the South Bay.

Ping Vault Anser 2

> @Georgewang said:

> Check out Pasatiempo.

At $350, someday... haha. But I did just play Spyglass. I'll get around to it!

Ping Vault Anser 2

> @rbark11 said:

> > @evanm said:

> >

> > Summit pointe is the only other course I've played and it was better than I expected. Maybe not a true test, but a rare value and quick round for the bay area.

>

> When did you play at summitpointe? I played there couple weeks ago and it was in TERRIBLE condition

That's a bummer. It must've been around late August. The first couple holes weren't looking too promising but after that it was pretty decent. Also, their friday morning rate is $35 with a cart.

Ping Vault Anser 2

> @evanm said:

> > @rbark11 said:

> > > @evanm said:

> > >

> > > Summit pointe is the only other course I've played and it was better than I expected. Maybe not a true test, but a rare value and quick round for the bay area.

> >

> > When did you play at summitpointe? I played there couple weeks ago and it was in TERRIBLE condition

>

> That's a bummer. It must've been around late August. The first couple holes weren't looking too promising but after that it was pretty decent. Also, their friday morning rate is $35 with a cart.

You can get on their for pretty cheap pretty much everyday. It’s a challenging course but the conditions have always been average to poor. I even remember when the entire course was brown and only the greens were green because they weren’t allowed to water the course.

• 3 weeks later...

So finally got around to playing Corica South and Callippe. Both were excellent!

Corica had some of the best greens I've played, and the layout was great. The only knock were the holes along the airport road, which let you know that you were playing an urban Muni. It was wet when we played so I'm looking forward to getting back out in dry fast conditions, which will make it play way more fun.

Callippe has moved to the top of my favorite NorCal courses. So fun, so fair, so interesting, and in great shape. Greens rolled great, good undulations, but fair and gettable. Grass range was a plus. Side note, the chorizo breakfast burrito was the best I've had.

Couldn't have been happier with both courses. Less than $60/round walking on a weekday made them tremendous values imo.

• Like 1

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino