2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Really Hit the Ball Well Today

BeerPerHole

Played in my regular Saturday morning group. We play different formats and today was 2-man best-ball. I've been really working on my swing this year. As many here know, swing changes can be ugly for a while. But, I just stuck with it. Really hit a new level today. Hit a couple beautiful draws when I needed to. Hit a long fade with the driver when I needed to. Drove the ball really well. Reached our par-5 #18 in two with a 5-wood shot from the fairway that was really neat - a high shot with a slight draw. Been working very hard this year on my swing so today was very exciting and satisfying. My partner and I won the competition and several guys were expressing how much they enjoyed watching me hit the ball today. Coming from where I came from (I told my partner as we walked onto the 18th green that I was the worst player I've ever seen when I started out) today was pretty special. Now...I gotta continue to work on my putting and start figuring out those 40-60 yard approach shots (those were ugly).

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...should add. To ensure my head didn't get too big - there was a scratch tournament teeing off as I came off the 18th green. I walked up as our club champion was teeing off. No joke - that drive was about 350. Just pierced into the afternoon haze with no signs of coming down. Damn that guy can hit the ball. Totally different level...

> @BeerPerHole said:

> ...should add. To ensure my head didn't get too big - there was a scratch tournament teeing off as I came off the 18th green. I walked up as our club champion was teeing off. No joke - that drive was about 350. Just pierced into the afternoon haze with no signs of coming down. **** that guy can hit the ball. Totally different level...

Congrats on the good play. Glad all that hard work is paying off. I too have been really working on my game but it is still a work in progress. I started a couple months ago hitting better but then things went south. I am still working on it but will be glad when I finally get to the point where I am consistently hitting it solid.

The last time out a twosome was coming off 9, we were playing the back nine. First guy hit a big high fade about 210-230 into the trees, somewhere I have been many times. His partner gets up and hits his drive on a line. It bounced just short of the green and ended up just left about pin high. That hole was playing about 320 downhill. It was a drive I could only dream of hitting.

there is nothing as satisfying as digging it up from the dirt..yourself. I have had a bonanza year myself and like you the 40-60 yarder is a killer lol. Played to a +1 many years ago with all kinds of swing flaws.

Finally decided to try to fix myself. Read the books, videos on the tube and the progress is amazing... new discovery every time is fun, but i am working hard on concrete bases : grip, posture..the fundamentals basically should not change..the swing can

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

It feels good to put it all together in one round and keep it going. My season in Ohio is winding down and I'm already thinking about next year and the goals for next year (eliminate the blow-up holes). I worked on those shots under 100 yards quite a bit this year and have noticed a big improvement. It doesn't feel like I am guessing anymore. So much more confidence standing over a 60 yard shot now. Good luck with those next year.

> @Petethreeput said:

> Those certainly are fun rounds. I am pleased for you and hope you are able to continue to play well. What was the difference?

Thanks. Frankly, I took a holistic approach over the past year or so. Had 2 lessons with our head pro who apparently is a bit of a swing plane guru. I've had lessons with a few different pros over the years but none of that was nearly as impactful as the 2 sessions with this guy. Really changed my swing plane and action. My son wanted a late-night range session last night and I was next to him focusing on the long iron and realizing I'm covering some real estate with those clubs, vs. the mess I used to create with them. I also started integrating as much golf-specific strengthening into my gym sessions as I could learn on my own. I think that has helped. Next step will be spending a couple months with a local golf fitness guy who happens to be our club champion. It's a lot of fun improving the ball striking, but it's one of the most challenging things in all of sports. And, I can't claim to be some great golfer. Just continuing my quest to getting down the fairways with some gusto...

I’m getting really frustrated with it. I don’t know anyone who gets less out of more effort trying to improve than I. I feel like I’m getting better for a minute and then something hits my game to send it backwards again. I’ve had a few good rounds this year but a whole lot of terrible ones. I’m “hitting the ball” way better than my scores would indicate. Short game hasn’t been a focus of practice while I’ve tried to fix irons / driver. But still, short game isn’t what is keeping me from going low right now.

I think I’m just across the line from a breakthrough, but I’ll believe it when I see it.

Good on ya OP! Glad that someone on here is getting something out of their practice!

> @LeftDaddy said:

> I’m getting really frustrated with it. I don’t know anyone who gets less out of more effort trying to improve than I. I feel like I’m getting better for a minute and then something hits my game to send it backwards again. I’ve had a few good rounds this year but a whole lot of terrible ones. I’m “hitting the ball” way better than my scores would indicate. Short game hasn’t been a focus of practice while I’ve tried to fix irons / driver. But still, short game isn’t what is keeping me from going low right now.

>

> I think I’m just across the line from a breakthrough, but I’ll believe it when I see it.

>

> Good on ya OP! Glad that someone on here is getting something out of their practice!

Thank you. It's a very tough game. I can relate to what you're going through. I think sometimes the transition over the line to a better game might need to include some subtle thing - like a good simple preshot routine, switching from beer to bourbon, or having a golf partner mention your alignment looks off. I can't help but think of Hogan's famous statement about digging it up from the dirt...