Orange Whip Light Speed

DaveMac

Interested in hearing user opinions both good and bad on this new addition to the Orange Whip line up.

I have Superspeed which isn’t doing anything positive for my swing or swing speed. So this looks like an alternative attempt at getting the same results.

Simply don’t want to throw £70 at yet another garage ornament.

I noticed you didn’t have a great outcome with SSG. I have definitely benefitted from SSG but I also don’t think it’s a panacea for all swing issues.

Here’s what makes me unsure of the LightSpeed at this point:

No talk of specific results, or expected speed increases and plateaus like the SSG guys outlined from the start. Did I miss it or have they trialed this in the same manner and collected statistics on the results. I see a product, but have missed the explanation of the science in this iteration

No mention of 3D swing analysis being used to ensure that the lighter implement encourages faster swings with the SAME motor pattern. The SSG guys were careful to optimize the weights so that the light club wasn’t too light

A similar concept of protocols to SSG Can’t help but see it as a reaction to what the SSG guys did

And use of the specific term ‘overspeed’ training. Didn’t the SSG guys coin that term as a better descriptor than the traditional ‘overload / underload’ training?? Hard to trust that - if the original didn’t work for you - that a later competitor’s version would

Swing speed radar is an annoying extra expense (trust me, I killed five of them), but is sound really an accurate replacement for measured numbers? It’d better be really clear to the ear WHERE optimal speed is occurring, otherwise you could be maxing speed in the wrong place. I’d certainly want to confirm that to myself with radar

Just my initial reactions to seeing what they’ve created. If this is somewhat effective and somehow has less potential for injury it may have a nich. Would want to hear a lot more first, especially from the creators.

> @PorscheFan said:

> I noticed you didn’t have a great outcome with SSG. I have definitely benefitted from SSG but I also don’t think it’s a panacea for all swing issues.

>

> Here’s what makes me unsure of the LightSpeed at this point:

>

> No talk of specific results, or expected speed increases and plateaus like the SSG guys outlined from the start. Did I miss it or have they trialed this in the same manner and collected statistics on the results. I see a product, but have missed the explanation of the science in this iteration

>

> No mention of 3D swing analysis being used to ensure that the lighter implement encourages faster swings with the SAME motor pattern. The SSG guys were careful to optimize the weights so that the light club wasn’t too light

>

> A similar concept of protocols to SSG Can’t help but see it as a reaction to what the SSG guys did

>

> And use of the specific term ‘overspeed’ training. Didn’t the SSG guys coin that term as a better descriptor than the traditional ‘overload / underload’ training?? Hard to trust that - if the original didn’t work for you - that a later competitor’s version would

>

> Swing speed radar is an annoying extra expense (trust me, I killed five of them), but is sound really an accurate replacement for measured numbers? It’d better be really clear to the ear WHERE optimal speed is occurring, otherwise you could be maxing speed in the wrong place. I’d certainly want to confirm that to myself with radar, so the radar would be an additional cost for me regardless of the method I was using to try to increase swing speed.

> Edit. I think LightSpeed is about $90, not $70, right? And that assumes you have the original Orange Whip... otherwise you’re looking at $200, which is the same as SSG

> Just my initial reactions to seeing what they’ve created. If this is somewhat effective and somehow has less potential for injury it may have a nich. Would want to hear a lot more first, especially from the creators.

>

> @DaveMac said:

> Interested in hearing user opinions both good and bad on this new addition to the Orange Whip line up.

>

> I have Superspeed which isn’t doing anything positive for my swing or swing speed. So this looks like an alternative attempt at getting the same results.

>

> Simply don’t want to throw £70 at yet another garage ornament.

If the Superspeed didn't work out what makes you think an alternative will work for you?

> @PorscheFan said:

> I noticed you didn’t have a great outcome with SSG. I have definitely benefitted from SSG but I also don’t think it’s a panacea for all swing issues.

>

> Here’s what makes me unsure of the LightSpeed at this point:

>

> No talk of specific results, or expected speed increases and plateaus like the SSG guys outlined from the start. Did I miss it or have they trialed this in the same manner and collected statistics on the results. I see a product, but have missed the explanation of the science in this iteration

>

>

Appreciate the thoughts and I agree there is no improvement data to backup Orange whip’s effectiveness as an over speed system. Anecdotally Superspeed suffer a little in this area as well, just look through YouTube at the number of systems they have put in the hands of reviewers never to have any ongoing improvement follow ups.

The SSR has at least showed me why I am not seeing any improvement. Superspeed have provided backup advice as they say they will. I’ll just keep working away and hopefully see some benefit next season.

> @DaveMac said:

> Anecdotally Superspeed suffer a little in this area as well, just look through YouTube at the number of systems they have put in the hands of reviewers never to have any ongoing improvement follow ups.

>

That's a fair point. Most reviewers could barely get to a second video, never mind a full conclusion. That may speak as much to the inability of many of us to stick to any sort of regimented training regime.

Maybe another one to solicit feedback on is the Tour Tempo SpeedBall. It seems like less of a direct copy in terms of the principal used (overcoming resistance specifically at impact) and I can also see how it could be safer for the same reason. It also seems to also have a use case for squaring the clubface. Not something I've tried or know anything about, though.

> @kevinscott22 said:

> Post a video of your swing. Could be something really obvious that you are missing

Appreciate the thought, I don’t have a video platform to post a video to. I will say I have had many, many lessons and while everyone has tried to help no one has been able to provide a drill that helps push the swing up a notch. I was even on GEARS at the start of the season and the focus became how much the shaft deflected during the swing despite the pitifully low clubhead speed.

Quick update:

Obviously not a big uptake for this product, so I have taken the plunge and bought one. I have to say out of the box and a quick swing, I wish I hadn’t bothered.

Lightspeed looks much lower quality than the standard Orange Whip. It is very counter balanced with an extremely thick grip area, so even with the soft shaft there isn’t any significant swing feedback. There is no free access to the associated training program either, which is both a disappointment and a surprise, I will email Orange Whip to confirm this situation.

I will give it a month and report back vs superspeed.

> @DaveMac said:

> Quick update:

>

> Obviously not a big uptake for this product, so I have taken the plunge and bought one. I have to say out of the box and a quick swing, I wish I hadn’t bothered.

>

> Lightspeed looks much lower quality than the standard Orange Whip. It is very counter balanced with an extremely thick grip area, so even with the soft shaft there isn’t any significant swing feedback. There is no free access to the associated training program either, which is both a disappointment and a surprise, I will email Orange Whip to confirm this situation.

>

> I will give it a month and report back vs superspeed.

Appreciate your candid thoughts and looking forward to hear your detailed feedback after you give it some time. Really shocked that the protocols aren’t free - what on earth else do they think you would do with the club other than follow their protocols? Crazy.

Who knows, if I can swallow the expense at some point I might give the SpeedBall a go and see if it has some value.

https://orangewhipgolf.com/pages/lightspeed-drills

Protocol looks similar to SuperSpeed. I didn't realize that the LightSpeed was supposed to be used with a regular Orange Whip.

FWIW, I think the orange whip (and other similar whippy trainers like the SKLZ Gold Flex) are fantastic for helping with tempo, which can potentially fix some sequencing problems and ultimately lead to better clubhead speed.

This is obviously anecdotal and based on informal testing, but I have tried different methods of "warming up" prior to doing SuperSpeed protocols and the most "efficient" warm up was to use a whippy trainer and try to maintain that tempo throughout the SuperSpeed protocols. I have found that trying to replicate that feeling of proper tempo (while still trying to swing all-out) makes me more consistent swing-to-swing and I'm also more likely to hit a personal best, or at least stay within an mph or 2 of my personal best. Days where I don't warm up with the whippy trainer, I have a much larger tendency to get quick in transition during the SS protocols and as such my speeds suffer. It seems to me that this gives me the best of both worlds -- the whippy trainer helps to improve sequencing while the weights of the SuperSpeed sticks give me the benefits of overspeed training.

> @SirFuego said:

> https://orangewhipgolf.com/pages/lightspeed-drills

>

> Protocol looks similar to SuperSpeed. I didn't realize that the LightSpeed was supposed to be used with a regular Orange Whip.

>

Appreciate the link to the videos, I have seen them but even the longer on is titled as a warm up routine, rather than a specific over speed training program. If I don’t get any free access to a set of training protocols (which doesn’t seem likely) I will substitute elements of the superspeed protocols and see if it makes a difference.

The standard orange whip can’t be swung fast anyway (certainly not by me) it’s definitely a sequence / timing trainer, although throwing in the exaggerated pressure movement drills, one would hope, would help build a better platform for higher speed. Swinging superspeed recklessly is detrimental to my swing, the one thing you can’t be if you lack distance, is inaccurate.

Just to add, the speedball mentioned above looks interesting, a bit like an soft play impact bag. Price is an issue plus the practicalities of trying to use this in an often wet back yard make it a non starter.

> @DaveMac said:

> Quick update:

>

> Obviously not a big uptake for this product, so I have taken the plunge and bought one. I have to say out of the box and a quick swing, I wish I hadn’t bothered.

>

> Lightspeed looks much lower quality than the standard Orange Whip. It is very counter balanced with an extremely thick grip area, so even with the soft shaft there isn’t any significant swing feedback. There is no free access to the associated training program either, which is both a disappointment and a surprise, I will email Orange Whip to confirm this situation.

>

> I will give it a month and report back vs superspeed.

DaveMac

I am on board with you in this experiment. I have Superspeed Golf and I have a nagging shoulder now because of it....I have never had a shoulder problem before. I gained a lot of speed with Superspeed Golf but I found I needed to hit balls right after using it because my mechanics would get all out of whack. I am hoping because the shaft is whippier that it won’t irritate my shoulder, and I will be able to keep all my speed gains. May have to try the Speedball next if this doesn’t pan out.

I just put a post in the Superspeed thread that has a link to a small study research suggesting the speed benefits of superspeed can be obtained using the swings from just the medium weight club.

I have 4 sessions completed using Orange Whip and Lightspeed and the combination puts different stresses on the body. Obviously the standard orange whip goes slow but it does work the big muscles, enhancing the feel of better sequencing (x factor stretch). Lightspeed is also different, it is shorter, so it feels more like an iron posture, it is also heavily counter balanced making it easier (less physical effort) to get to higher speeds. I have already bettered my max super speed value by 6%.

The exaggerated swing feel, the standard weight orange whip provides, currently transfers into the first 3 swings with the lightspeed. Hopefully this feel will continue, extending to all the lightspeed swings, getting around the negative issues with light sticks mentioned in the study..

I will continue with the orange whip products and the pre round protocol (the only one I can find combining both products) for 6 weeks or so then do a driver swing speed check and see if my numbers show any sign of moving in the right direction.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately there iare no protocols for lightspeed. They did publish 3 drill videos on the website (https://orangewhipgolf.com/pages/lightspeed-drills). There is also the opportunity to pay money to Golf Fitness X, to get a personalised program.

Logically, it would make sense to follow Superspeed’s protocol frequencies (and protocols)

If you haven’t purchased a lightspeed, I would caution against buying it, I have about 5 weeks work with it and I haven’t gained any benefits. I initially used the std Orange Whip and Lightspeed together but found the std Orange Whip too heavy for speed work (it’s great for sequencing). I tried the one club technique using just Lightspeed but the balance is unique, 560g but very heavily counter balanced, so perhaps there is too much mass for my current needs, the best I managed was 99 mph but that was a one time deal.

If I can drum up the motivation, I might return to using the mid weight Superspeed stick, using a 1 club technique and the advanced ground force protocol, for the rest of the winter.

• 9 months later...

Everyone ,  The Orange Whip Light Speed .  It swings faster .  If your not getting it to move fast , your muscling the club 

and slowing it down.    Swing the Orange ball , feel it , move is faster on the back swing.  Feel the transition, you have 

to swing the club head .  Everyone is fixated with arms swinging.   The Club head is what your swinging .  Dummies.  LOL 

I have had it up to 126 mph.  My Son's have it in the 140's mph .    So don't tell me you can't swing it faster . 

The Original Orange whip is too long and heavy.  It makes you swing flat and Muscling it and flat swing is a back breaker.

Knee issues of all kinds.    

Get good, get fast , swing that lasts. 

Mike Austin 

Edited by Mike Austin
Addition
  • Confused 1

• 2 months later...

I am confused as all get out now. Having reached my 60s my swing speed seems to plummeting. Luckily my handicap has remained about the same. I just would like to get my swing speed back over 100 consistently with 150 mph ball speed. Is that probable using LightSpeed or am I just kidding myself ? Be kind, I'm also more tender at 60+ 😊