2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Rushed to the course yesterday when I got off....MAN

jeffreydan32

So it gets dark around 6:30 now here in Arkansas. I leave for Hilton Head Thursday to play in the Amateur Golf Week tournament so I've been trying to practice as much as I can. I went to the driving range at lunch yesterday and really couldn't get anything to work. I was either left or right, never straight.

My intention yesterday was to go back to the driving range and figure things out. When I got there it was about 5:30 so I decided to just go and play a few hole before it got dark. Man how I wish I could have had more daylight. First hole is a par 5 and I par it. Oh I'm about a 20 handicap. 2nd hole a par 4 and I bogey it. 3rd hole is a par 3 and I put it about 5 feet from the pin and birdie it. Next hole is a par 4 and I put it 3 feet from the pin for another birdie. First time in my life I've had back to back birdies.

Skip to another par 3 and par it. Next up a par 5 and I bogey it, I usually par it but my mind started getting to me a little. Next up another par 5 and I blade my third shot to double the hole. Next hole is a long par 4 and I slice it off the box into the right rough under a tree limb. Its about 160 to the hole and I try to hit a low 8 iron just to get to the front. By this time you really can't find the ball in the air because its getting pretty dark. Out of nowhere it drops on the green about 6 foot behind the pin, I par it. Next up a par 3 and I bogey it.

I skip to 18 and I can just barely see the fairway. I had been hitting my driver a little right almost every time. I hit this one and it felt like it went left but I couldn't see it in the air. I start driving up looking left and don't see it. I almost give up and go home but then I notice it on the right side of the fairway. I hit pitching wedge on to the green and make par. I was so happy when I left there. But golf is just such a crazy game for me. I could go back today and not be able to find the fairway or green.

I often wonder what it would feel like to go out and shoot in the 70's and 80's consistently. It must make the game a lot more fun. Or are those low handicappers always chasing a lower score like me? I love the game but it does get to me at times. I will say for the last two years golf has helped change my life for the better. Won't get in to specifics but I owe the game for helping me feel better about myself....no matter what the score.

The golf gods know when you don't possibly have enough time to complete a round and can be really cruel. I've never broken par (lowest score for 18 is a 73). I had a flight for work scheduled for the late afternoon, but decided to play with some buddies that morning at one of the tougher tracks in the area. I was -3 through 10 when a huge thunderstorm rolled in and I wasn't able to finish the round. I'm still bitter about it.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

> @bazinky said:

> The golf gods know when you don't possibly have enough time to complete a round and can be really cruel. I've never broken par (lowest score for 18 is a 73). I had a flight for work scheduled for the late afternoon, but decided to play with some buddies that morning at one of the tougher tracks in the area. I was -3 through 10 when a huge thunderstorm rolled in and I wasn't able to finish the round. I'm still bitter about it.

You had a nice round going! Hope you break par soon!

> @jeffreydan32 said:

> So it gets dark around 6:30 now here in Arkansas. I leave for Hilton Head Thursday to play in the Amateur Golf Week tournament so I've been trying to practice as much as I can. I went to the driving range at lunch yesterday and really couldn't get anything to work. I was either left or right, never straight.

>

> My intention yesterday was to go back to the driving range and figure things out. When I got there it was about 5:30 so I decided to just go and play a few hole before it got dark. Man how I wish I could have had more daylight. First hole is a par 5 and I par it. Oh I'm about a 20 handicap. 2nd hole a par 4 and I bogey it. 3rd hole is a par 3 and I put it about 5 feet from the pin and birdie it. Next hole is a par 4 and I put it 3 feet from the pin for another birdie. First time in my life I've had back to back birdies.

>

> Skip to another par 3 and par it. Next up a par 5 and I bogey it, I usually par it but my mind started getting to me a little. Next up another par 5 and I blade my third shot to double the hole. Next hole is a long par 4 and I slice it off the box into the right rough under a tree limb. Its about 160 to the hole and I try to hit a low 8 iron just to get to the front. By this time you really can't find the ball in the air because its getting pretty dark. Out of nowhere it drops on the green about 6 foot behind the pin, I par it. Next up a par 3 and I bogey it.

>

> I skip to 18 and I can just barely see the fairway. I had been hitting my driver a little right almost every time. I hit this one and it felt like it went left but I couldn't see it in the air. I start driving up looking left and don't see it. I almost give up and go home but then I notice it on the right side of the fairway. I hit pitching wedge on to the green and make par. I was so happy when I left there. But golf is just such a crazy game for me. I could go back today and not be able to find the fairway or green.

>

> I often wonder what it would feel like to go out and shoot in the 70's and 80's consistently. It must make the game a lot more fun. Or are those low handicappers always chasing a lower score like me? I love the game but it does get to me at times. I will say for the last two years golf has helped change my life for the better. Won't get in to specifics but I owe the game for helping me feel better about myself....no matter what the score.

yes, it was 80's, then 70's and now low 70's. It never ends. Is it more enjoyable? Its fun improving when the majority of others around you aren't. I would not say it is more enjoyable though. I can also tell you that you will always have bad days, that is golf.

• Like 1

> @"rich s" said:

> > @jeffreydan32 said:

> > So it gets dark around 6:30 now here in Arkansas. I leave for Hilton Head Thursday to play in the Amateur Golf Week tournament so I've been trying to practice as much as I can. I went to the driving range at lunch yesterday and really couldn't get anything to work. I was either left or right, never straight.

> >

> > My intention yesterday was to go back to the driving range and figure things out. When I got there it was about 5:30 so I decided to just go and play a few hole before it got dark. Man how I wish I could have had more daylight. First hole is a par 5 and I par it. Oh I'm about a 20 handicap. 2nd hole a par 4 and I bogey it. 3rd hole is a par 3 and I put it about 5 feet from the pin and birdie it. Next hole is a par 4 and I put it 3 feet from the pin for another birdie. First time in my life I've had back to back birdies.

> >

> > Skip to another par 3 and par it. Next up a par 5 and I bogey it, I usually par it but my mind started getting to me a little. Next up another par 5 and I blade my third shot to double the hole. Next hole is a long par 4 and I slice it off the box into the right rough under a tree limb. Its about 160 to the hole and I try to hit a low 8 iron just to get to the front. By this time you really can't find the ball in the air because its getting pretty dark. Out of nowhere it drops on the green about 6 foot behind the pin, I par it. Next up a par 3 and I bogey it.

> >

> > I skip to 18 and I can just barely see the fairway. I had been hitting my driver a little right almost every time. I hit this one and it felt like it went left but I couldn't see it in the air. I start driving up looking left and don't see it. I almost give up and go home but then I notice it on the right side of the fairway. I hit pitching wedge on to the green and make par. I was so happy when I left there. But golf is just such a crazy game for me. I could go back today and not be able to find the fairway or green.

> >

> > I often wonder what it would feel like to go out and shoot in the 70's and 80's consistently. It must make the game a lot more fun. Or are those low handicappers always chasing a lower score like me? I love the game but it does get to me at times. I will say for the last two years golf has helped change my life for the better. Won't get in to specifics but I owe the game for helping me feel better about myself....no matter what the score.

>

> yes, it was 80's, then 70's and now low 70's. It never ends. Is it more enjoyable? Its fun improving when the majority of others around you aren't. I would not say it is more enjoyable though. I can also tell you that you will always have bad days, that is golf.

Rich can I ask you where you started out at? Were you a high handicapper or were you always pretty good? If you were a high handicapper what was some of the main things you did that got you to where you are today?

It is more enjoyable, at least to me when I am shooting well (mid-to-high 70's or better). That's a general given. The most enjoyment I get is from the following scenarios though:

- When my buddy and I are playing together, and we both shoot good scores. It's really fun to have a good back-and-forth competitive match.

- When I move back to the tips for the extra challenge, and manage to shoot a good score. It feels like more of an accomplishment

- When I am playing a "good" course that I don't get to play very often, and I'm shooting well.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

You're always chasing getting lower till you start to physically not being able to play better. I had a few years of being able to shoot even or better for 9 holes before finally shooting even or better for 18 this year. Several years before that of just being able to break 40 for 9 consistently.

As for how much fun it is..well its about the same. I think the expectation levels change so highs during the round as a higher cap were higher. The rounds overall are funner because you're not grinding quite as much as you dont have as many walls to break through.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

My first HIO was on hole #12 and we were only able to finish hole #13 before it got too dark. Some will say that's not a legit HIO but that thought never crossed my mind.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

> @jeffreydan32 said:

> Or are those low handicappers always chasing a lower score like me?

Yup. I'm now averaging in the mid 70s and all I want to do now is break par. And following that, I'll just want to see how low I can score. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

I play maybe once every three weeks or so. Barely have any time to practice. When I was in my twenties I was around par with the occasional score under...now, maybe mid to high 70's in a good round or low 80's for a not so good round. It isn't because I have a good swing, but rather because I manage misses very well and am a good with the flat stick. I don't really try, because if I attempt to force a score, I don't do well. Much better off just going out and enjoying a round of golf and adding up the pieces at the end.

• Like 1

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

> @MadGolfer76 said:

> I play maybe once every three weeks or so. Barely have any time to practice. When I was in my twenties I was around par with the occasional score under...now, maybe mid to high 70's in a good round or low 80's for a not so good round. It isn't because I have a good swing, but rather because I manage misses very well and am a good with the flat stick. I don't really try, because if I attempt to force a score, I don't do well. Much better off just going out and enjoying a round of golf and adding up the pieces at the end.

> @MadGolfer76 said:

> I play maybe once every three weeks or so. Barely have any time to practice. When I was in my twenties I was around par with the occasional score under...now, maybe mid to high 70's in a good round or low 80's for a not so good round. It isn't because I have a good swing, but rather because I manage misses very well and am a good with the flat stick. I don't really try, because if I attempt to force a score, I don't do well. Much better off just going out and enjoying a round of golf and adding up the pieces at the end.

Can't like this post enough. I get to play more than you, but even at playing once a week and little practice time trying to force a score has been my biggest issue for the last couple of years. For me, It really shows up on par 5s and the "scoring" holes when I get out of position and am not willing to take my medicine. Reading Golfwrx doesn't help with expectations any either, because the sample is so biased (better than average golfers, and golfers only describing their "best") that is makes you think that if you're not making birdie or better on every scoring hole, you're playing like a chop.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

> @jeffreydan32 said:

> > @"rich s" said:

> > > @jeffreydan32 said:

> > > So it gets dark around 6:30 now here in Arkansas. I leave for Hilton Head Thursday to play in the Amateur Golf Week tournament so I've been trying to practice as much as I can. I went to the driving range at lunch yesterday and really couldn't get anything to work. I was either left or right, never straight.

> > >

> > > My intention yesterday was to go back to the driving range and figure things out. When I got there it was about 5:30 so I decided to just go and play a few hole before it got dark. Man how I wish I could have had more daylight. First hole is a par 5 and I par it. Oh I'm about a 20 handicap. 2nd hole a par 4 and I bogey it. 3rd hole is a par 3 and I put it about 5 feet from the pin and birdie it. Next hole is a par 4 and I put it 3 feet from the pin for another birdie. First time in my life I've had back to back birdies.

> > >

> > > Skip to another par 3 and par it. Next up a par 5 and I bogey it, I usually par it but my mind started getting to me a little. Next up another par 5 and I blade my third shot to double the hole. Next hole is a long par 4 and I slice it off the box into the right rough under a tree limb. Its about 160 to the hole and I try to hit a low 8 iron just to get to the front. By this time you really can't find the ball in the air because its getting pretty dark. Out of nowhere it drops on the green about 6 foot behind the pin, I par it. Next up a par 3 and I bogey it.

> > >

> > > I skip to 18 and I can just barely see the fairway. I had been hitting my driver a little right almost every time. I hit this one and it felt like it went left but I couldn't see it in the air. I start driving up looking left and don't see it. I almost give up and go home but then I notice it on the right side of the fairway. I hit pitching wedge on to the green and make par. I was so happy when I left there. But golf is just such a crazy game for me. I could go back today and not be able to find the fairway or green.

> > >

> > > I often wonder what it would feel like to go out and shoot in the 70's and 80's consistently. It must make the game a lot more fun. Or are those low handicappers always chasing a lower score like me? I love the game but it does get to me at times. I will say for the last two years golf has helped change my life for the better. Won't get in to specifics but I owe the game for helping me feel better about myself....no matter what the score.

> >

> > yes, it was 80's, then 70's and now low 70's. It never ends. Is it more enjoyable? Its fun improving when the majority of others around you aren't. I would not say it is more enjoyable though. I can also tell you that you will always have bad days, that is golf.

>

> Rich can I ask you where you started out at? Were you a high handicapper or were you always pretty good? If you were a high handicapper what was some of the main things you did that got you to where you are today?

I was a self taught golfer, took the game up when I was about 16. When I was 18 I shot around 100. Played a lot when I was 20-22 and shot low 80's-upper 70's on a few really easy/short courses. Gave up the game for 15 years. When I started back up I was upper 80's on the easy courses, that was 8 years ago. I got to a 9 handicap but could not get better. Found this website and tried tips in this forum and from yt and stayed around a 9. Finally went to see Dan Carraher in person. I took the change and spent all last winter hitting into a net with a skytrak to ingrain it. I am a 2 right now and my season is over. I play a very difficult course now and my low round was a 2 under 70 and my average round is a 76 for the year. If you want my advice, stop watching YT, stop getting pointers from here and go see Dan or Monte in person. Just know that they will show you the way but the way is very difficult, frustrating and time consuming. I don't work on my swing during the season, winter is the perfect time. Hitting into a net makes me not care about the results so I can just focus on making the change. Golf is hard.

> @"rich s" said:

> > @jeffreydan32 said:

> > > @"rich s" said:

> > > > @jeffreydan32 said:

> > > > So it gets dark around 6:30 now here in Arkansas. I leave for Hilton Head Thursday to play in the Amateur Golf Week tournament so I've been trying to practice as much as I can. I went to the driving range at lunch yesterday and really couldn't get anything to work. I was either left or right, never straight.

> > > >

> > > > My intention yesterday was to go back to the driving range and figure things out. When I got there it was about 5:30 so I decided to just go and play a few hole before it got dark. Man how I wish I could have had more daylight. First hole is a par 5 and I par it. Oh I'm about a 20 handicap. 2nd hole a par 4 and I bogey it. 3rd hole is a par 3 and I put it about 5 feet from the pin and birdie it. Next hole is a par 4 and I put it 3 feet from the pin for another birdie. First time in my life I've had back to back birdies.

> > > >

> > > > Skip to another par 3 and par it. Next up a par 5 and I bogey it, I usually par it but my mind started getting to me a little. Next up another par 5 and I blade my third shot to double the hole. Next hole is a long par 4 and I slice it off the box into the right rough under a tree limb. Its about 160 to the hole and I try to hit a low 8 iron just to get to the front. By this time you really can't find the ball in the air because its getting pretty dark. Out of nowhere it drops on the green about 6 foot behind the pin, I par it. Next up a par 3 and I bogey it.

> > > >

> > > > I skip to 18 and I can just barely see the fairway. I had been hitting my driver a little right almost every time. I hit this one and it felt like it went left but I couldn't see it in the air. I start driving up looking left and don't see it. I almost give up and go home but then I notice it on the right side of the fairway. I hit pitching wedge on to the green and make par. I was so happy when I left there. But golf is just such a crazy game for me. I could go back today and not be able to find the fairway or green.

> > > >

> > > > I often wonder what it would feel like to go out and shoot in the 70's and 80's consistently. It must make the game a lot more fun. Or are those low handicappers always chasing a lower score like me? I love the game but it does get to me at times. I will say for the last two years golf has helped change my life for the better. Won't get in to specifics but I owe the game for helping me feel better about myself....no matter what the score.

> > >

> > > yes, it was 80's, then 70's and now low 70's. It never ends. Is it more enjoyable? Its fun improving when the majority of others around you aren't. I would not say it is more enjoyable though. I can also tell you that you will always have bad days, that is golf.

> >

> > Rich can I ask you where you started out at? Were you a high handicapper or were you always pretty good? If you were a high handicapper what was some of the main things you did that got you to where you are today?

>

> I was a self taught golfer, took the game up when I was about 16. When I was 18 I shot around 100. Played a lot when I was 20-22 and shot low 80's-upper 70's on a few really easy/short courses. Gave up the game for 15 years. When I started back up I was upper 80's on the easy courses, that was 8 years ago. I got to a 9 handicap but could not get better. Found this website and tried tips in this forum and from yt and stayed around a 9. Finally went to see Dan Carraher in person. I took the change and spent all last winter hitting into a net with a skytrak to ingrain it. I am a 2 right now and my season is over. I play a very difficult course now and my low round was a 2 under 70 and my average round is a 76 for the year. If you want my advice, stop watching YT, stop getting pointers from here and go see Dan or Monte in person. Just know that they will show you the way but the way is very difficult, frustrating and time consuming. I don't work on my swing during the season, winter is the perfect time. Hitting into a net makes me not care about the results so I can just focus on making the change. Golf is hard.

Thanks Rich for the reply!

> @HatsForBats said:

> Nice score for a 'oh about 20 handicap' player. Now make sure you post those first 9 holes played. 3 over?

>

> rfr6hba8d8te.gif

>

Sounds like he was by himself. No need to police him.

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

TSR2 15˚ Black 1K 75

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

RTX Zipcore Raw 48M/54M/60L 

Byron Morgan 029x PROTO-Carbon/2022 BB-1F

Pro V1X 

> @jeffreydan32 said:

> > @"rich s" said:

> > I was a self taught golfer, took the game up when I was about 16. When I was 18 I shot around 100. Played a lot when I was 20-22 and shot low 80's-upper 70's on a few really easy/short courses. Gave up the game for 15 years. When I started back up I was upper 80's on the easy courses, that was 8 years ago. I got to a 9 handicap but could not get better. Found this website and tried tips in this forum and from yt and stayed around a 9. Finally went to see Dan Carraher in person. I took the change and spent all last winter hitting into a net with a skytrak to ingrain it. I am a 2 right now and my season is over. I play a very difficult course now and my low round was a 2 under 70 and my average round is a 76 for the year. If you want my advice, stop watching YT, stop getting pointers from here and go see Dan or Monte in person. Just know that they will show you the way but the way is very difficult, frustrating and time consuming. I don't work on my swing during the season, winter is the perfect time. Hitting into a net makes me not care about the results so I can just focus on making the change. Golf is hard.

>

> Thanks Rich for the reply!

I'll second what Rich said. I started out young (around 5 or so), had a couple lessons early on, relied on athleticism and hand-eye coordination for years. At 22, I was a 6 handicap. In come the kids, and for the next 20 or so years, I don't play much of anything besides the occasional drunken charity scramble, and even after that, had no interest in getting back into the game. About 4 years ago, my brother talked me into joining him for a round. I played terribly, literally not having picked up my clubs in years, but got bitten by the bug.

Fast forward a few years, at almost 50 I'm not nearly as athletic as I was at 22 (duh), and my golf game shows it. When I first came back, I took a couple lessons with a local teaching pro, which helped a bit, but not a ton. I finally broke down this year and stopped trying to find my old swing and took more lessons, this time with the head pro at my club. Smartest thing I ever did. On June 15, my index was 15.3. Three lessons and a few swing tweaks, a LOT of golf over the summer, and my index currently sits at 7.8. Broke 80 half a dozen times this year, normal scores are now in the low 80's. The biggest thing I've gained is consistency - I don't miss as often, and when I do, it's not as dramatic a miss.

A lot of guys don't like to take lessons because they think it's beneath them. YouTube videos, advice from forums, articles on techniques the pros use - they're all pretty much completely useless, and are more likely to screw you up than help you. Nobody on the internet knows what your swing looks like, or how whatever technique they're talking about applies to your swing. The only thing I'll ever watch or read is videos/articles with different drills to try.

Go see a teaching pro, who can see your swing, and help you tweak it so it works for you. The key, though, is to find a teacher who's teaching style works for YOU, or who can adapt his teaching style to your learning style. The first guy I took lessons with was a very good teacher, but his teaching style didn't suit me, so I didn't get everything out of the lessons that I could have. The pro at my club was much better to work with for me. He knows I'm an engineer, so he took a much more technical approach with me and explaining the theories behind what we were doing, than he does with most students. He also picked up right away that I don't want a ton of explanation. I want him to tell/show me what to do, let me try it, and correct from there. There is no one way to teach the golf swing, and no wrong way of learning. But it's a HUGE deal to make sure you find the right combination between the two for you.

> @third-times-a-charm said:

> I never play well when I rush to the course from work. My mind just isnt in the game.

About the same here. But it can vary. There are days that clients tick me off so bad that when I get out to the course my mind just goes free. I end up hitting the ball better than ever. But if I can't clear my mind, it's like a "why did I bother" type of round.

> @dwp10mm said:

> > @third-times-a-charm said:

> > I never play well when I rush to the course from work. My mind just isnt in the game.

>

> About the same here. But it can vary. There are days that clients tick me off so bad that when I get out to the course my mind just goes free. I end up hitting the ball better than ever. But if I can't clear my mind, it's like a "why did I bother" type of round.

Exactly true. Precisely true.

He plays but can be inspired enough to think that he has attained a certain level of mastery.

There is a calm that surrounds him until it is shattered by the “cold meat hook reality” of the game.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

The golf God's are funny. I used to play at PGA West, Calif. desert courses, to about a 5 handicap. My friend bailed so I played alone, cloudy, humid summer day, I can hear rumblings in the far distant mountains. After 12 holes, I'm 4 under par! It's starting to rain, as I tee off, the Ranger drives up and says: "Please go indoors, we'll have lightning". I'm fuming, cause had only been 4 under a few times in my life. On my way back to clubhouse, I see blue lightning strike a mesquite bush about 15 yards away from the cart path!

> @bazinky said:

> The golf gods know when you don't possibly have enough time to complete a round and can be really cruel. I've never broken par (lowest score for 18 is a 73). I had a flight for work scheduled for the late afternoon, but decided to play with some buddies that morning at one of the tougher tracks in the area. I was -3 through 10 when a huge thunderstorm rolled in and I wasn't able to finish the round. I'm still bitter about it.

It probably helps... You're not really keeping score (or rather a score that really matters). You get to just go out there and hit and not really have a lot riding on it

> @jeffreydan32 said:

> > @HatsForBats said:

> > Nice score for a 'oh about 20 handicap' player. Now make sure you post those first 9 holes played. 3 over?

> >

> > rfr6hba8d8te.gif

> >

>

> My bad I just noticed this post...but was this directed at me?

It was but as someone else pointed out you were playing solo (???) so 'shouldn't' post it. For all I know you may not even keep a handicap. Even if you weren't playing solo you would probably need to post Handicap + Par for any holes not completed on the front as it seems you played at least 7 on the front?

I jumped the gun with my exuberance for people to post those really good rounds.

> @HatsForBats said:

> > @jeffreydan32 said:

> > > @HatsForBats said:

> > > Nice score for a 'oh about 20 handicap' player. Now make sure you post those first 9 holes played. 3 over?

> > >

> > > rfr6hba8d8te.gif

> > >

> >

> > My bad I just noticed this post...but was this directed at me?

>

> It was but as someone else pointed out you were playing solo (???) so 'shouldn't' post it. For all I know you may not even keep a handicap. Even if you weren't playing solo you would probably need to post Handicap + Par for any holes not completed on the front as it seems you played at least 7 on the front?

>

> I jumped the gun with my exuberance for people to post those really good rounds.

I'm kind of new to the handicap deal but are you seeing somewhere that I posted a score to get a handicap? I can't make out what I'm looking at or where you got it from.

> @HatsForBats said:

> > @jeffreydan32 said:

> > > @HatsForBats said:

> > > Nice score for a 'oh about 20 handicap' player. Now make sure you post those first 9 holes played. 3 over?

> > >

> > > rfr6hba8d8te.gif

> > >

> >

> > My bad I just noticed this post...but was this directed at me?

>

> It was but as someone else pointed out you were playing solo (???) so 'shouldn't' post it. For all I know you may not even keep a handicap. Even if you weren't playing solo you would probably need to post Handicap + Par for any holes not completed on the front as it seems you played at least 7 on the front?

>

> I jumped the gun with my exuberance for people to post those really good rounds.

Let me explain a little better. My original story was about me playing out of my mind that day I rushed out to the course. I was jumping around the course so I could at least play 8-9 holes before dark. I do keep track of my handicap on Golf Net if you would like to check it out.

I think you were insinuating I was sand bagging maybe??? If so I wish that was true. I usually shoot mid to high 90's with a high 80 from time to time. I have no reason to lie about my golf scores on here. Not really sure what you were getting at but seems a little strange to me.

That's an interesting point is it more fun to shoot in the 70s consistently or are we always chasing lower..... I would bet the game is the same fun for anyone playing very well no matter the level.... in fact the higher handicap might have a better time as guys shooting in their 70s have probably played very well more often and therefore not as much as a big deal

Can't figure how to like my own posts

My lowest round this year was a 73, my highest a 91. I have shot a 47 on the front and a 36 on the back. I have had a great warm up and played terrible. I have rushed to the first tee from the parking lot and played great. Golf is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma (with apologies to Winston Churchill).

• 2 weeks later...

slight revive, but i actually think golf is less fun than it was when i was worse. I would imagine everyone is chasing a number. I am a 1.2 with an average score of 75 or so, and if I feel at all like i wont be able to be near par I am miserable. sometimes i have to remind myself "hey man 78 is pretty damn good." When I was breaking 90 for the first time and hunting down 80 for the first time it was incredibly fun, but also allowed for some mistakes. To break par I basically have to be perfect which is more stressful.

I have been playing for about 5 years, and I love the game as much as ever but I feel more at risk of burning out now than I ever have.

> @hahanice said:

> slight revive, but i actually think golf is less fun than it was when i was worse. I would imagine everyone is chasing a number. I am a 1.2 with an average score of 75 or so, and if I feel at all like i wont be able to be near par I am miserable. sometimes i have to remind myself "hey man 78 is pretty **** good." When I was breaking 90 for the first time and hunting down 80 for the first time it was incredibly fun, but also allowed for some mistakes. To break par I basically have to be perfect which is more stressful.

>

> I have been playing for about 5 years, and I love the game as much as ever but I feel more at risk of burning out now than I ever have.

Only playing 5 years and already shooting par is quiet the accomplishment! Can you share some of the things you did to get better?