Recommend a Course in East Texas

North Texas

Got 2 tee times at Southern Trace in Shreveport on Saturday, Nov 2nd, and are looking for good course to play on our way home (Dallas/McKinney) the next day. Being Club Corp Travel Members, we've already checked on Eagles Bluff around Tyler but they have something going on that day. What are some courses that we should try to play?

We've thought about Tempest in Gladewater but are somewhat reluctant due to some less than favorable reviews on this board. Maybe someone could update the conditions there? We know about Pine Dunes and Links of Lands End and they are options we are considering. Does anyone know anything about Sulphur Springs Country Club? Is there somewhere else that we are just not thinking about? Thanks for any help you can give me.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pine Dunes is your best option hands down. In fact, I prefer it to Trace. Now if you can get onto Squire Creek (about 2 hours **east **of Trace) it's so worth the out of the way trip.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

I played the Tempest about 2 months ago, it is a nice layout, but still needs some time to mature, but was still playable. Greens were actually better than I expected, but still had a few rough spots. Pine Dunes normally should be a no brainer, but I haven't played there since early this year, have heard second hand the conditions this year have gone down hill a bit.

One to maybe consider is Garden Valley right off of I-20 west of Tyler a bit. It is a fun layout IMO, but again, conditions might be an issue, I haven't played there also since very early in the year, and it had also seemed to go down hill compared to a few years ago. I believe they have struggled financially somewhat.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Srixon  ZX 5 MKii 4-7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

You might also try to see if you can get on Cascades in Tyler, they held the Texas Open there the past couple of years. Nothing really special, but it is decent.

WITB

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

> @"North Texas" said:

> > @TravelingGolfSticks said:

> > Didn't clubcorp add a couple of courses on I-20? Thought one was Mount Pleasant Country Club. It may be convenient.

>

> Yes, that is a Club Corp. Just don't know anything about it.

I've driven by it. Looks fine from the road but that was a few years ago and not sure about the layout.

Don't be afraid to play Tempest.

The Staff is friendly and the greens are in great shape as well as the rest of the course.

The tee boxes are no longer hard as a rock. The grounds crew have done a awesome job.

I played more than 30 rounds there this season and base my opinion on more than just 1 experience. Call the pro shop tho to make sure they aren't having a tournament. They host tons of them.

Garden Valley lost their greens in the Spring. All of them, so there isn't any grass on them. Just weeds.

Pine Dunes is always solid.

> @DivinDave said:

> Don't be afraid to play Tempest.

>

> The Staff is friendly and the greens are in great shape as well as the rest of the course.

> The tee boxes are no longer hard as a rock. The grounds crew have done a awesome job.

>

> I played more than 30 rounds there this season and base my opinion on more than just 1 experience. Call the pro shop tho to make sure they aren't having a tournament. They host tons of them.

>

> Garden Valley lost their greens in the Spring. All of them, so there isn't any grass on them. Just weeds.

>

> Pine Dunes is always solid.

Thanks. We have tee times at Tempest on Sunday, the 3rd. Looking forward to playing there.

> @"North Texas" said:

> > @DivinDave said:

> > Don't be afraid to play Tempest.

> >

> > The Staff is friendly and the greens are in great shape as well as the rest of the course.

> > The tee boxes are no longer hard as a rock. The grounds crew have done a awesome job.

> >

> > I played more than 30 rounds there this season and base my opinion on more than just 1 experience. Call the pro shop tho to make sure they aren't having a tournament. They host tons of them.

> >

> > Garden Valley lost their greens in the Spring. All of them, so there isn't any grass on them. Just weeds.

> >

> > Pine Dunes is always solid.

>

> Thanks. We have tee times at Tempest on Sunday, the 3rd. Looking forward to playing there.

Tempest is probably the best bet for right along I-20. I played there when the temperature was about 100 in early August, it was brutally hot. But condition wise, while obviously not something like Oakmont, were surprisingly decent give how young the course is. From the tips this course is a monster.

Sorry to hear that about Garden Valley, it was always a fun course to go play now and then. When I first moved here 6 years ago it was in pretty good shape, but you could see it slowly going down hill every year.....

WITB

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

> @Mike_C said:

> > @"North Texas" said:

> > > @DivinDave said:

> > > Don't be afraid to play Tempest.

> > >

> > > The Staff is friendly and the greens are in great shape as well as the rest of the course.

> > > The tee boxes are no longer hard as a rock. The grounds crew have done a awesome job.

> > >

> > > I played more than 30 rounds there this season and base my opinion on more than just 1 experience. Call the pro shop tho to make sure they aren't having a tournament. They host tons of them.

> > >

> > > Garden Valley lost their greens in the Spring. All of them, so there isn't any grass on them. Just weeds.

> > >

> > > Pine Dunes is always solid.

> >

> > Thanks. We have tee times at Tempest on Sunday, the 3rd. Looking forward to playing there.

>

> Tempest is probably the best bet for right along I-20. I played there when the temperature was about 100 in early August, it was brutally hot. But condition wise, while obviously not something like Oakmont, were surprisingly decent give how young the course is. From the tips this course is a monster.

>

> Sorry to hear that about Garden Valley, it was always a fun course to go play now and then. When I first moved here 6 years ago it was in pretty good shape, but you could see it slowly going down hill every year.....

I wish whoever owns Garden Valley would sell it to someone who would put some money into it. It's too good of a course to let it go like this.

• 2 weeks later...

Played Tempest today. Give this course another year to mature and it will be a MUST PLAY course. No issues at all with course conditions and a very fun and interesting course with lots of character. Have played Pine Dunes and Links of Land End and I would much rather play Tempest any day of the week. Well worth the trip.

> @"North Texas" said:

> Played Tempest today. Give this course another year to mature and it will be a MUST PLAY course. No issues at all with course conditions and a very fun and interesting course with lots of character. Have played Pine Dunes and Links of Land End and I would much rather play Tempest any day of the week. Well worth the trip.

Is this the old Southern Hills CC in Gladewater?

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

> @nitram said:

> > @"North Texas" said:

> > Played Tempest today. Give this course another year to mature and it will be a MUST PLAY course. No issues at all with course conditions and a very fun and interesting course with lots of character. Have played Pine Dunes and Links of Land End and I would much rather play Tempest any day of the week. Well worth the trip.

>

> Is this the old Southern Hills CC in Gladewater?

>

Yes

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...