Did you use an instructor or get to scratch on your own

LowAndLeft32

I got my index down to 2.1, then I stalled. I started seeing an instructor last month. My issue is excessive face rotation due to an overactive right hand through the hitting zone. I am working on it but quieting the hands of a “hands player” is difficult. My index has climbed to 3.3, as I tend to lose one to the right now and then with this new swing. My swing is quite similar to Zach Johnson’s until impact. He holds the club off whereas I have an aggressive release. The goal is to shrink my dispersion pattern and shave those last few shots off of my handicap. The high speed cameras and TRACKMAN, show all of the positives and negatives in the golf swing. Feel and real are quite different.

No never had a lesson or been fit....

I think there is def a mental barrier you have to get over that's needed to allow yourself to play scratch golf. I went scratch pretty quick but I never thought it was a big deal to play par golf.... still dont. 1 on the fairway 1 on the green and 2 putt. I bet most scratch golfers dont think its a big deal...... maybe after they get there for some lol. I'm a feel player and use my own style of playing specially with putter... not afraid to challenge accepted concepts that most bow down to without questioning... I have no idea or even care if I'm ever on plane I just know I gotta hit a cut right here lol... its just a ball and a stick.

Confidence is a weapon...

• Like 2

Can't figure how to like my own posts

Depends. We talking mental or swing ?

If swing. No. I started this game late 2013 and neve been higher than a 5 cap. But I preface that with the fact that I hit balls on my home built range for 13 months or so before I ever took it to a course.

Now I do have a couple mentors. One former tour player and one current tour player teacher/father. Tweaks , suggestions , and swing theory we talk. Never a “ hey let me show you how to hit the ball “ lesson.

Mental game ? Yes. I’m constantly seeking guidance in that realm. And it’s by far the most important for a player who can naturally control the ball. Controlling ones self and impulses is a whole other ball of wax.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @Barfolomew said:

> No never had a lesson or been fit....

>

> I think there is def a mental barrier you have to get over that's needed to allow yourself to play scratch golf. I went scratch pretty quick but I never thought it was a big deal to play par golf.... still dont. 1 on the fairway 1 on the green and 2 putt. I bet most scratch golfers dont think its a big deal...... maybe after they get there for some lol. I'm a feel player and use my own style of playing specially with putter... not afraid to challenge accepted concepts that most bow down to without questioning... I have no idea or even care if I'm ever on plane I just know I gotta hit a cut right here lol... its just a ball and a stick.

>

> Confidence is a weapon...

>

>

>

Feel the same way. I foolishly thought that every player at the local muni played with the intent of beating par. I assumed it was like any other sport. Everyone played on a level field. Had no idea of handicaps etc. so I set my mindset to that. I recall the first time I broke 80. I was mad that I had missed a couple putts etc that would have got me close to par. I didn’t celebrate the milestone. It irked me that I wasn’t shooting par. Exact Same thing when I first shot under par. I had missed a 4 footer on 17 and a 5 footer on 18. I shot 71. But I wanted in the 60s. I was not happy that day. Still am not. I know I’ve not plateaued yet. So I push on. Current index is 0.8. Goal is +3 and I’ll bet you a Franklin right now that I get close by end of next summer. Why ? I got to 0.8 with no putter. I’m making everything currently and experiencing a whole new mental hurdle. Playing with a lead. Or playing while way under par early. You’d think it would be easier. It’s not. But I’ll get there. Never satisfied. And Uber confident. That’s the keys.

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Lessons back in early 2000s. Got on a bad stretch this time last year and sought some assistance. Lessons from 3 instructors over 2 months. The first 2 didn't help and they're both very good instructors. The 3rd asked me if I saw anything wrong with my swing at several paused positions. When I said no ar every position he said "I agree" and he then agreed with me that my problem was tempo...not technique.

Instructor in early 2000s was really good. We overhauled my swing from inside and across the line to much more on plane. He got me technically squared away. Moved on from him to another guy who would be able to give me playing lessons. That guy got me to swing freely. First guy got me to scratch (from about a 4), 2nd guy got me to +2.5.

I know enough about my swing now and swing mechanics in general to self correct most things. Back to back sub 70 rounds and haven't had a lesson in a year. Gotta know your swing and what produces your flaws...imo

The only lessons I had were as a kid from the same local pro that taught just about every kid in town. I got to "scratch" as a teenager and was able to play college golf at a middle of the pack level. Too inconsistent to challenge for any titles. On and off the travel team depending on what swing I had that week. I managed a few minor area championships. Later on I took some lessons from a couple of "top 100" swing coaches with varying degrees of success. The "new swing" invariably lost it's effectiveness and I was back to where I was before. It took a particular swing coach and a couple of years of serious work to get me physically and mentally able to compete consistently at the level I wanted to compete at.

I don't doubt for a second that if I had grown up with the sort of coaching I got later on, it would have made an enormous difference in what I could have accomplished in golf.

But that's the story a LOT of players can relate to isn't it?

> @bladehunter said:

> Depends. We talking mental or swing ?

>

>

> If swing. No. I started this game late 2013 and neve been higher than a 5 cap. But I preface that with the fact that I hit balls on my home built range for 13 months or so before I ever took it to a course.

>

> Now I do have a couple mentors. One former tour player and one current tour player teacher/father. Tweaks , suggestions , and swing theory we talk. Never a “ hey let me show you how to hit the ball “ lesson.

>

> Mental game ? Yes. I’m constantly seeking guidance in that realm. And it’s by far the most important for a player who can naturally control the ball. Controlling ones self and impulses is a whole other ball of wax.

Thanks bladehunter. Interesting feedback! Really impressed that you basically never been higher than a 5!

I wish I knew some tour players. Are there any really great “tweaks feedback or swing theories“ that would be worth sharing?

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*

I saw the most improvement when I learned enough about different styles and what works together and used that knowledge to build my own swing with what I liked. That was freeing to me to have the knowledge and build on my own preferences instead of relying on someone else. I went to quite a few instructors though and learned a lot.

Learned in high school from a gentleman who was a tour caddy for 30 years and the best money game stick until he was 70 y.o.a. Had a 3 day lesson with Geoff Jones (Slicefixer) 25 years later and the rest has been on my own. Playing with good players will cost you a little money but will teach you more than most lessons. Either way, you're gonna pay until you figure it out. Once you do, it's a matter of playing to your strengths and working like a dog to fix your challenges. And it NEVER stops.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

I've always been the kind of guy that wants to figure things out on his own but when I felt like I'd hit a wall and things just weren't improving at the clip they had been; I met with a swing coach and after just one session was already seeing a major difference in my distance control and accuracy.

My first 18 after a few weeks of working with him was my best of the year by 6 strokes. Shotmaking's getting more effortless (in that I can think more about making the shot instead of worrying if my swing will make it happen) and I'm able to pull off what I need to - though sometimes don't make the best decisions with those. <_<

I still have work to do but I can definitely say working with an instructor has been a great decision.

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

> @LowAndLeft32 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > Depends. We talking mental or swing ?

> >

> >

> > If swing. No. I started this game late 2013 and neve been higher than a 5 cap. But I preface that with the fact that I hit balls on my home built range for 13 months or so before I ever took it to a course.

> >

> > Now I do have a couple mentors. One former tour player and one current tour player teacher/father. Tweaks , suggestions , and swing theory we talk. Never a “ hey let me show you how to hit the ball “ lesson.

> >

> > Mental game ? Yes. I’m constantly seeking guidance in that realm. And it’s by far the most important for a player who can naturally control the ball. Controlling ones self and impulses is a whole other ball of wax.

>

> Thanks bladehunter. Interesting feedback! Really impressed that you basically never been higher than a 5!

>

> I wish I knew some tour players. Are there any really great “tweaks feedback or swing theories“ that would be worth sharing?

Well. Like I. Said. I hit balls for over a year before ever playing. So I’m sure I’d have been a higher handicap in that year if I had been going to a course and posting scores.

As for feedback or tweaks. ( disclaimer. This advice and feel was for ME .... so may not fit anyone else ).

1. To kill my over swing ( long back swing ) my swing thought for my backswing is to start with my core Nd keep my arms out in front of my core. My arms are just passive and along for the ride until the downswing. Before my arms started the backswing and outran my core to full turn / the top.

2. Play small ball- Direct quote and idea from one of the mentioned mentors. Meaning try to never make a hard feeling swing. Forget distance. Just play positions. Meaning learn to place the ball. Important to note that this isn’t always the days gameplan. It’s a lesson to teach control. And a centering device for when you get off swing wise. Meaning slow down and keep it in play. You have days here you can swing away. But you also need to score or at least minimize the bleeding on off days. Also useful tactic on inclement weather rounds.

3. Never aim where a straight ball will hurt you.

4. Hit the shot you know you can hit. Not the one you “ think “ you can hit. This one bites me from time to time as im a risk taker.

5. Learn what causes your predominant miss. Why ? This is The only way to self correct on course. And any good player is able to self correct. Mine is generally a slide forward into the ball pre impact. This will cause a leaker to the right. It usually happen on shots that I try to hit too hard. My leg action ends to get carried away then. My thought that combats this is simply to slow down and post up on my lead leg. It’s more feel than real , but there’s just a fine line between the two. One produces a nice tight fade. The other is a weak wipe right.

6. Sounds dumb but the simpler you keep it alll , the better.

Get in and play with the best players you can. You’ll pay with lost bets to do so. But the education in my opinion is the best you can get.

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> >

>

> Get in and play with the best players you can. You’ll pay with lost bets to do so. But the education in my opinion is the best you can get.

BINGO

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

Been scratch for 2 years at 33 years old and have never had a lesson and never played college golf. Played college football and hardly played golf for 4 years straight. Absolutely grinded, tried different swing paths, mostly trial and error and also have to develop some swagger to let people know you can hit the perfect shot anytime and that you don't get rattled.

• Like 1

I basically got to scratch on my own…as a teenager. Back then instructors weren’t really en vogue and you didn’t have a lot of instructors that did it full-time. Usually those belonged to Golf Digest schools like Toski or Lumpkin. Most of the people that gave lessons were former Tour players that ran a course and a pro shop and gave lessons in their spare time.

My instruction at the time was mostly reading Golf Digest ‘tips.’ I then had some health problems and my game really went off the rails, badly. And because I didn’t know a thing about golf instruction (I used to actually think you took a divot either behind or under the ball), I was screwed. That’s where I got into ‘bad instruction.’ But, I could still make it work to a degree…the fruits of being young and a pretty good athlete.

I started reading and getting a hold of any instruction I could find. Then I found TGM and that got me thru college. Played golf for about 1 year after college and then I quit the game for 9 years. I was about a 4 handicap when I first got back and thru coaching I’ve gotten as low as a +3 and currently I’m a +1.

RH

After being somewhat of a casual lifetime 5 handicap, I got much more into golf a couple of years ago, joined a club, and started practicing a lot. I was able to get down to a 1. I decided to start taking some lessons (partly because golf isn't year round and I wasn't ready to pack it in for the winter). While I always thought I had a pretty good swing, there were clearly some areas where I was not very efficient. Mostly I was spinning the ball way too much (ball flight wise, not on the green). With the lessons, I think I was able to make my swing much more consistent and friendly to misses.

Since I've started working with a coach, I"ve fluctuated between a +1 to a 1, so really minimal improvement handicap wise. Where I see the difference is in my average and my tournament performances. Before the lessons, I was always like a 3-4 in tournament rounds and this year I was a 0 and pulled my first win since junior golf.

I think it's just allowed me to not have my game and still have a chance at par. I could still shoot par before but I had to being playing well.

There's a reason all the guys on the PGA tour have swing coaches.

I had some lessons as a kid. A couple years from an old timer when I was 13-14, not real intense, but going out and playing 9 with him, hitting balls now and then. He actually helped quite a bit, worked with my swing, didn't have a "method". I was a low single digit back then. He got sick and couldn't teach any more, and I went to another guy who had a good reputation. He tried to totally redo my swing, it was a disaster. My swing back then was more like a young Ben Crenshaw or Payne Stewart, very long, he tried to turn me into Tom Kite, short and compact.

After not playing much when I got out of college and got a full time job/married/kids, I got back down to scratch over the past 20 years on my own by hitting a lot of balls on the range, and working on my short game... I would actually love to work with somebody again who was like my first teacher, focus on fundamentals and work with what I have...

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Srixon  ZX 5 MKii 4-7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

Lot's of lessons when I was developing in high school, only every now and again when I played in college. Now very infrequently as I have gotten a decent handle on my major issues and how to correct/deal with them.

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X (Ai Smoke TD otw)
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

> @LowAndLeft32 said:

> To clarify my original question maybe a little bit further. I’m asking about ball striking and swing mechanics. Did a coach make you a great i.e. scratch ball striker.

Tough to control a thread once its started lol best to ask what you want right away in first post before the avalanche starts....

Prob with your question is of course a GOOD coach can help with ball striking but its not necessary.... matters on what kind of person you are. Im the kind that likes to get to a certain spot in my abilities before I get help because I want to be able to base the others opinion against my own opinion and not blindly follow or be led down the wrong path. I dont know how good you are but they're are def basics I'll remind players.... like you're swinging down on the ball not picking the ball off the grass and the divot starts in front of the ball not before or at the ball. I like to think I'm hitting the ball with purpose not swinging pretty and there happens to be a ball in the way like I think many do... Oh look I hit all the technical spots, my elbow, shoulders, feet are all doing what they are supposed to why didn't I hit it good..... cause you're distracted from the main point of having your mind fully engaged of getting that path 1mm from out to in to cut the ball to push back against that gentle breeze coming from the right... In my mind they're is not a shot that is too exact meaning if I need to be swinging from the inside by a fly's hair more then that's doable... whether or not that is possible isn't the point its that I think it is.

Prob is finding a good coach that works with your abilities and can adapt their advice to what you're about and NOT a cookie cutter coach...

Can't figure how to like my own posts

> @bladehunter said:

> > @LowAndLeft32 said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > Depends. We talking mental or swing ?

> > >

> > >

> > > If swing. No. I started this game late 2013 and neve been higher than a 5 cap. But I preface that with the fact that I hit balls on my home built range for 13 months or so before I ever took it to a course.

> > >

> > > Now I do have a couple mentors. One former tour player and one current tour player teacher/father. Tweaks , suggestions , and swing theory we talk. Never a “ hey let me show you how to hit the ball “ lesson.

> > >

> > > Mental game ? Yes. I’m constantly seeking guidance in that realm. And it’s by far the most important for a player who can naturally control the ball. Controlling ones self and impulses is a whole other ball of wax.

> >

> > Thanks bladehunter. Interesting feedback! Really impressed that you basically never been higher than a 5!

> >

> > I wish I knew some tour players. Are there any really great “tweaks feedback or swing theories“ that would be worth sharing?

>

> Well. Like I. Said. I hit balls for over a year before ever playing. So I’m sure I’d have been a higher handicap in that year if I had been going to a course and posting scores.

>

> As for feedback or tweaks. ( disclaimer. This advice and feel was for ME .... so may not fit anyone else ).

>

> 1. To kill my over swing ( long back swing ) my swing thought for my backswing is to start with my core Nd keep my arms out in front of my core. My arms are just passive and along for the ride until the downswing. Before my arms started the backswing and outran my core to full turn / the top.

> 2. Play small ball- Direct quote and idea from one of the mentioned mentors. Meaning try to never make a hard feeling swing. Forget distance. Just play positions. Meaning learn to place the ball. Important to note that this isn’t always the days gameplan. It’s a lesson to teach control. And a centering device for when you get off swing wise. Meaning slow down and keep it in play. You have days here you can swing away. But you also need to score or at least minimize the bleeding on off days. Also useful tactic on inclement weather rounds.

> 3. Never aim where a straight ball will hurt you.

> 4. Hit the shot you know you can hit. Not the one you “ think “ you can hit. This one bites me from time to time as im a risk taker.

> 5. Learn what causes your predominant miss. Why ? This is The only way to self correct on course. And any good player is able to self correct. Mine is generally a slide forward into the ball pre impact. This will cause a leaker to the right. It usually happen on shots that I try to hit too hard. My leg action ends to get carried away then. My thought that combats this is simply to slow down and post up on my lead leg. It’s more feel than real , but there’s just a fine line between the two. One produces a nice tight fade. The other is a weak wipe right.

> 6. Sounds dumb but the simpler you keep it alll , the better.

>

> Get in and play with the best players you can. You’ll pay with lost bets to do so. But the education in my opinion is the best you can get.

Number 2 is some of the best advice I've seen on this site so far. Thank you for posting it.

This is EXACTLY where I am at with my current game. Trying to make sure I swing fast but not hard and in control. I have found that I may lose a little (but not really that much) in distance but I gain significant accuracy. Mishits are far less penal and far more on-line.

I used to always think my 7i needs to be at 170....because? Instead, I just think about what club and swing will be the most likely to get the ball where I want it to go. It is really a freeing feeling and I think I understand a little more when people say "play golf and not golf swing".

> @madchens said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @LowAndLeft32 said:

> > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > Depends. We talking mental or swing ?

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > If swing. No. I started this game late 2013 and neve been higher than a 5 cap. But I preface that with the fact that I hit balls on my home built range for 13 months or so before I ever took it to a course.

> > > >

> > > > Now I do have a couple mentors. One former tour player and one current tour player teacher/father. Tweaks , suggestions , and swing theory we talk. Never a “ hey let me show you how to hit the ball “ lesson.

> > > >

> > > > Mental game ? Yes. I’m constantly seeking guidance in that realm. And it’s by far the most important for a player who can naturally control the ball. Controlling ones self and impulses is a whole other ball of wax.

> > >

> > > Thanks bladehunter. Interesting feedback! Really impressed that you basically never been higher than a 5!

> > >

> > > I wish I knew some tour players. Are there any really great “tweaks feedback or swing theories“ that would be worth sharing?

> >

> > Well. Like I. Said. I hit balls for over a year before ever playing. So I’m sure I’d have been a higher handicap in that year if I had been going to a course and posting scores.

> >

> > As for feedback or tweaks. ( disclaimer. This advice and feel was for ME .... so may not fit anyone else ).

> >

> > 1. To kill my over swing ( long back swing ) my swing thought for my backswing is to start with my core Nd keep my arms out in front of my core. My arms are just passive and along for the ride until the downswing. Before my arms started the backswing and outran my core to full turn / the top.

> > 2. Play small ball- Direct quote and idea from one of the mentioned mentors. Meaning try to never make a hard feeling swing. Forget distance. Just play positions. Meaning learn to place the ball. Important to note that this isn’t always the days gameplan. It’s a lesson to teach control. And a centering device for when you get off swing wise. Meaning slow down and keep it in play. You have days here you can swing away. But you also need to score or at least minimize the bleeding on off days. Also useful tactic on inclement weather rounds.

> > 3. Never aim where a straight ball will hurt you.

> > 4. Hit the shot you know you can hit. Not the one you “ think “ you can hit. This one bites me from time to time as im a risk taker.

> > 5. Learn what causes your predominant miss. Why ? This is The only way to self correct on course. And any good player is able to self correct. Mine is generally a slide forward into the ball pre impact. This will cause a leaker to the right. It usually happen on shots that I try to hit too hard. My leg action ends to get carried away then. My thought that combats this is simply to slow down and post up on my lead leg. It’s more feel than real , but there’s just a fine line between the two. One produces a nice tight fade. The other is a weak wipe right.

> > 6. Sounds dumb but the simpler you keep it alll , the better.

> >

> > Get in and play with the best players you can. You’ll pay with lost bets to do so. But the education in my opinion is the best you can get.

>

>

> Number 2 is some of the best advice I've seen on this site so far. Thank you for posting it.

>

> This is EXACTLY where I am at with my current game. Trying to make sure I swing fast but not hard and in control. I have found that I may lose a little (but not really that much) in distance but I gain significant accuracy. Mishits are far less penal and far more on-line.

>

> I used to always think my 7i needs to be at 170....because? Instead, I just think about what club and swing will be the most likely to get the ball where I want it to go. It is really a freeing feeling and I think I understand a little more when people say "play golf and not golf swing".

>

>

Yes. That’s exactly what was meant by that. That came straight from the mouth of a pga master professional ( very few of those in existence) who’s son is currently on the big tour. I say that just to give credit to the Statement and not take the credit for myself.

It was said to me on a particularly bad spell of mine where instead of slowing down and using more club I had fallen into the trap of trying to force every shot with harder swings and more aggressive lines. Making the game way too hard and too much like work.

After a particularly bad round he says to me .... “ you done bashing the ball yet. Or you want to continue on “ ? Of course when he speaks I listen. So I said “ im all ears “. He then says “ let’s go walk 9 more. And I’ll call the shots “. I had turned in an 81 for that morning 18. We went back out and he clubbed me , and talked as we went. And I shot 33 for the next 9. And never once felt tense or like I swung hard. I was a believer right then.

I’ve found since then that slow thinking , slow breathing and slow swinging nets the most power too. As in middle contact vs fast swing misses. What I mean by that is just a general relaxed feeling. My best rounds are lazy feeling. The ones where I’m worked up and tense are a battle.

You’ll also find you fall into a groove much more often. And that’s when you can go at it a bit harder and score even better.

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @madchens said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @LowAndLeft32 said:

> > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > Depends. We talking mental or swing ?

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > If swing. No. I started this game late 2013 and neve been higher than a 5 cap. But I preface that with the fact that I hit balls on my home built range for 13 months or so before I ever took it to a course.

> > > > >

> > > > > Now I do have a couple mentors. One former tour player and one current tour player teacher/father. Tweaks , suggestions , and swing theory we talk. Never a “ hey let me show you how to hit the ball “ lesson.

> > > > >

> > > > > Mental game ? Yes. I’m constantly seeking guidance in that realm. And it’s by far the most important for a player who can naturally control the ball. Controlling ones self and impulses is a whole other ball of wax.

> > > >

> > > > Thanks bladehunter. Interesting feedback! Really impressed that you basically never been higher than a 5!

> > > >

> > > > I wish I knew some tour players. Are there any really great “tweaks feedback or swing theories“ that would be worth sharing?

> > >

> > > Well. Like I. Said. I hit balls for over a year before ever playing. So I’m sure I’d have been a higher handicap in that year if I had been going to a course and posting scores.

> > >

> > > As for feedback or tweaks. ( disclaimer. This advice and feel was for ME .... so may not fit anyone else ).

> > >

> > > 1. To kill my over swing ( long back swing ) my swing thought for my backswing is to start with my core Nd keep my arms out in front of my core. My arms are just passive and along for the ride until the downswing. Before my arms started the backswing and outran my core to full turn / the top.

> > > 2. Play small ball- Direct quote and idea from one of the mentioned mentors. Meaning try to never make a hard feeling swing. Forget distance. Just play positions. Meaning learn to place the ball. Important to note that this isn’t always the days gameplan. It’s a lesson to teach control. And a centering device for when you get off swing wise. Meaning slow down and keep it in play. You have days here you can swing away. But you also need to score or at least minimize the bleeding on off days. Also useful tactic on inclement weather rounds.

> > > 3. Never aim where a straight ball will hurt you.

> > > 4. Hit the shot you know you can hit. Not the one you “ think “ you can hit. This one bites me from time to time as im a risk taker.

> > > 5. Learn what causes your predominant miss. Why ? This is The only way to self correct on course. And any good player is able to self correct. Mine is generally a slide forward into the ball pre impact. This will cause a leaker to the right. It usually happen on shots that I try to hit too hard. My leg action ends to get carried away then. My thought that combats this is simply to slow down and post up on my lead leg. It’s more feel than real , but there’s just a fine line between the two. One produces a nice tight fade. The other is a weak wipe right.

> > > 6. Sounds dumb but the simpler you keep it alll , the better.

> > >

> > > Get in and play with the best players you can. You’ll pay with lost bets to do so. But the education in my opinion is the best you can get.

> >

> >

> > Number 2 is some of the best advice I've seen on this site so far. Thank you for posting it.

> >

> > This is EXACTLY where I am at with my current game. Trying to make sure I swing fast but not hard and in control. I have found that I may lose a little (but not really that much) in distance but I gain significant accuracy. Mishits are far less penal and far more on-line.

> >

> > I used to always think my 7i needs to be at 170....because? Instead, I just think about what club and swing will be the most likely to get the ball where I want it to go. It is really a freeing feeling and I think I understand a little more when people say "play golf and not golf swing".

> >

> >

>

> Yes. That’s exactly what was meant by that. That came straight from the mouth of a pga master professional ( very few of those in existence) who’s son is currently on the big tour. I say that just to give credit to the Statement and not take the credit for myself.

>

> It was said to me on a particularly bad spell of mine where instead of slowing down and using more club I had fallen into the trap of trying to force every shot with harder swings and more aggressive lines. Making the game way too hard and too much like work.

>

> After a particularly bad round he says to me .... “ you done bashing the ball yet. Or you want to continue on “ ? Of course when he speaks I listen. So I said “ im all ears “. He then says “ let’s go walk 9 more. And I’ll call the shots “. I had turned in an 81 for that morning 18. We went back out and he clubbed me , and talked as we went. And I shot 33 for the next 9. And never once felt tense or like I swung hard. I was a believer right then.

>

> I’ve found since then that slow thinking , slow breathing and slow swinging nets the most power too. As in middle contact vs fast swing misses. What I mean by that is just a general relaxed feeling. My best rounds are lazy feeling. The ones where I’m worked up and tense are a battle.

>

> You’ll also find you fall into a groove much more often. And that’s when you can go at it a bit harder and score even better.

Thanks for this. So true yet hard to do. I score my best when I just think of shots and target not swing everything is slower and clear but for some reason so hard to do even though I know it works!

I saw a couple of instructors but they didn't help much. Mostly my improvements have been a result of taking the time to think about my swing and my game. The only way to play differently is to think differently (whether it's your swing/stroke, mental toughness, or strategy). One thing that really helped me was learning Scott Fawcett's Decade course management strategies and mental game strategies (expectation management). It really put things in perspective and helped me drop probably 4 shots off my scores.

I went from a 4 to +3.3 with 2 primary motivations.

- started with joining a new club (tougher course than ever played before). My first round pro put me in a group and one of the players had to give me 8 shots. I didn't even know there was anything better than scratch.

- Playing with very good players motivated me.

- Playing tougher courses that required more than a bash it mentality.

• Like 1