Fell in love with walking

mvhoffman ·  
mvhoffmanmvhoffman MikeyNEPAMembers  1717WRX Points: 218Handicap: 10Posts: 1,717 Platinum Tees

I have been golfing now about 15 years and maybe had a handful of rounds that I actually walked. One day while tooling around on Facebook marketplace I came across a push cart 5 miles from my house. Looked nice, good quality, mint condition... $30. I figured why not, i'll start walking... that was last year... DIDN'T walk once. Fast forwarding to this year, I got sick of playing the 4-6 hour rounds that it has become during the day and thought wow, if only they were open at 6am... Then realizing I had the push cart, my local club allows walkers at really anytime just square up in the clubhouse afterwards so I started walking a little over a month ago. I have walked 27 holes one day but mostly it is 18 holes Sat morning and 18 Sunday morning and 18 holiday mornings. I only get charged 1/2 the time and have met some cool people. My golf game has improved, my love of the game has increased and I have caused a few people to get push carts from my normal group and join me early. Attached are a few neat pictures that I took while documenting my early morning rounds. My quickest has been 1 hour and 56 minutes, I was by myself that day so I could just go.

My Cart and Clubs

Posted:
Driver - Mizuno ST 180 11.5u* w Kuro Kage Silver TiNi DC 60g S Shaft
                                                      Aldila RIP Phenom 70g X Shaft
                                                      Aldila NV 65 Green 65g S Shaft tipped 3/4in
Fairway wood - 2015 Callaway Great Big Bertha 18* w Aldilla NV 75g S shaft
Hybrid - Adams Pro Hybrid @ 20* w Aldilla NV 105g S shaft
Irons/Wedges - Ping i25 4-LW w Ping CFS Stiff shafts
Putter - Bastain Milled Flow Neck Fusion Golf Prototype w UST FF shaft @ 33"
Ball - Callaway SuperSoft/SuperHot / Callaway Chrome Soft X
Grips - Golf Pride NDMC Standard
Putter Grip: Golf Pride SNSR Straight 104

Comments

• kmay__kmay__ niagara, ontario, canada. Members  473WRX Points: 294Posts: 473 Greens

Yep I hate taking the cart. Too much time messing around and driving to the other guys ball, I wanna hit my shot and walk straight to my ball, thinking about my next shot. Keeps me in a much better rhythym I find. And I would bet unless both people in the cart are hitting center fairway and GIRs, its much faster to both walk to your own balls.

Not to mention if its cart path only, now your trying to estimate your yardage from the path, bring a few clubs out to the ball, get a real yardage, play the shot pick up your clubs walk back to the path put them back in the bag then drive to the other guys shot. Would be on the green and reading my putt by now if I was walking! Plus I find when driving your just bombing around not really taking in the sights or experience of the course nearly as much as when walking. And when tempers flare, your not stuck next to the guy in the car, you can get away and keep your own mental game in place haha

Posted:
    TM 17' M2 9.5*
    Cobra Baffler 3w 16*
    PING G30 4h 22*
    TM R11 5-PW (Mizuno MP-4 for fun)
    Mizuno MP-T5 50*, 54*
    PM Grind 60*
    Studio Select NP2 mid slant 
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • SammyShafSammyShaf Members  381WRX Points: 118Posts: 381 Greens

I play a course where the greensfee covered the entire day. It does not have a range, so I would get there at 7AM and play until 7PM. The most I ever walked was 54 holes in a day. I treated the first round as a warmup and was locked in by the second. I always enjoyed how the course would change throughout the day.

Posted:
    If anything can go right, it might!
  • MaineMarinerMaineMariner Members  738WRX Points: 465Posts: 738 Golden Tee

I grew up playing very walkable courses in Maine. Not surprisingly, they were all older courses. Carts were reserved for the odd charity scramble and stuff like that. Not only was walking cheaper, it was just the default option for us, and for a lot of people on the golf course. Why would we use a cart? It seemed pointless.

Since moving to Pittsburgh, I have not found a single course that I would consider decently walkable. There are courses that CAN be walked, but it's a feat. Not only are the courses set up for carts, they are EXTREMELY hilly. Like they were designed with no regards to actually walking the course. Again, not surprisingly, these courses are a bit newer. There are older courses around here, but they're mostly expensive or private.

I don't really have much of a point other than to lament the death of my walking golf game. That's how I'd rather play, but I simply can't. And if anyone knows of any decently walkable courses in the Pittsburgh area, let me know!

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190
    Adams Tight Lies 16 deg. 4 wood
    Srixon Z H45 3 & 4 hybrid
    Srixon Z 565 irons, 5 - AW, Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120
    Callaway MD3 S Grind 54 deg.
    Callaway MD4 W Grind 60 deg.
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #8 / Toulon Austin
  • mvhoffmanmvhoffman Mikey NEPAMembers  1717WRX Points: 218Handicap: 10Posts: 1,717 Platinum Tees

On -, @MaineMariner said:

I grew up playing very walkable courses in Maine. Not surprisingly, they were all older courses. Carts were reserved for the odd charity scramble and stuff like that. Not only was walking cheaper, it was just the default option for us, and for a lot of people on the golf course. Why would we use a cart? It seemed pointless.

Since moving to Pittsburgh, I have not found a single course that I would consider decently walkable. There are courses that CAN be walked, but it's a feat. Not only are the courses set up for carts, they are EXTREMELY hilly. Like they were designed with no regards to actually walking the course. Again, not surprisingly, these courses are a bit newer. There are older courses around here, but they're mostly expensive or private.

I don't really have much of a point other than to lament the death of my walking golf game. That's how I'd rather play, but I simply can't. And if anyone knows of any decently walkable courses in the Pittsburgh area, let me know!

I'm here in the Scranton area on the opposite side of PA. We are surrounded by hills and Valleys. Thankfully there are still courses that aren't terrible to walk. My primary course there are only 4-5 holes that kill ya afterwards, but friendly for the most part

Posted:
    Driver - Mizuno ST 180 11.5u* w Kuro Kage Silver TiNi DC 60g S Shaft
                                                          Aldila RIP Phenom 70g X Shaft
                                                          Aldila NV 65 Green 65g S Shaft tipped 3/4in
    Fairway wood - 2015 Callaway Great Big Bertha 18* w Aldilla NV 75g S shaft
    Hybrid - Adams Pro Hybrid @ 20* w Aldilla NV 105g S shaft
    Irons/Wedges - Ping i25 4-LW w Ping CFS Stiff shafts
    Putter - Bastain Milled Flow Neck Fusion Golf Prototype w UST FF shaft @ 33"
    Ball - Callaway SuperSoft/SuperHot / Callaway Chrome Soft X
    Grips - Golf Pride NDMC Standard
    Putter Grip: Golf Pride SNSR Straight 104
  • Warrior42111Warrior42111 FloridaMembers  404WRX Points: 222Handicap: 19Posts: 404 Greens

Wish I could walk more, get the occasional late day 9 in walking, but central FL summers, make it a challenge even if you are in decent shape.

Posted:

Taylormade M6 10.5| Project X Even Flow Black X 6.5
    Taylormade M4 Tour 15 * |Mitsubishi Tensei CK White 70 X
    Ping G400 18
    | PING Alta CB 65 Stiff
    Callaway Apex 19 4-PW | Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 X
    Callaway MD4 48* / 54* / 59* | Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 X
    Odyssey Stroke Lab, Toulon Memphis 34"

Advertisement
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers  13553WRX Points: 2,421Handicap: 1.6Posts: 13,553 Titanium Tees

great post
    I don't walk the course enough anymore, but will change that next year
    Do a lot of elliptical and treadmill stuff so I don't feel overly guilty

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* Blueboard Matte 53x
    Ping G400 3w 13.9* Blueboard OG 63x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard Ion 73x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* VTS Red 100Hx
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* GD Tour AD DI 105x
    Mizuno 919 Tour 6 - PW UST 95 Recoil
    Ping Glide SS 50* & 54* wrx 110 Recoil
    Ping Glide ES 59* wrx UST 110 Recoil
    Callaway PM grind 64* UST 110 Recoil 
    Piretti Matera Elite 

• MarkripMarkrip Boss fan 62 Members  1784WRX Points: 323Posts: 1,784 Platinum Tees

I don’t walk very much anymore because of health issues but every once in a while when I feel up to it I will try and walk nine. I enjoy it very much and wish I could do it more.

Posted:
    Driver - Cobra F7
    3w- Adams Tight Lies 2 16
    Hybrid - Cobra F8 19
    Irons- Sub 70 739 5-PW
    Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54 , 58
    Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01
  • JoelsimJoelsim Members  1419WRX Points: 522Handicap: 12Posts: 1,419 Platinum Tees

I walk 100% of the time.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 10.5 Reg Ping Alta 44.5”
    Fairway: Cobra King Ltd Black 5 Wood Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Hybrid: Titleist 818 H1 23 Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Irons: Ping G400 4-UW (#4 at power spec loft)
    Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy Jaws 60W Low and Mack Daddy 4 64S, Cleveland CBX 2 54 Rotex 
    Putters: Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 (Jumbo Lamkin), Bettinardi Studio Stock #28 Slotback (Winn Dri-Tac), Bettinardi Queen Bee #9 (Winn Dri-Tac), Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Palm Beach (Winn Dri-Tac),  Cleveland Huntington Beach #10 (Winn Dri-Tac), Piretti Forza (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Matera Elite (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Cottonwood II (Piretti Fat Grip).
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  20933WRX Points: 4,900Posts: 20,933 ClubWRX

Don't walk enough and on our trips the last couple of summers the walking was actually a huge part of the thrill of playing the courses. A little more time to think, look around.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • ChadwickogChadwickog Members  383WRX Points: 102Posts: 383 Greens

On -, @mvhoffman said:

I'm here in the Scranton area on the opposite side of PA. We are surrounded by hills and Valleys. Thankfully there are still courses that aren't terrible to walk. My primary course there are only 4-5 holes that kill ya afterwards, but friendly for the most part

Hey fellow Scranton area resident. Definitely are some walkable course but a lot of them are a real hike. Usually only walking I do is the small 9 hole for practice

Posted:
  • LokiLoki Members  1267WRX Points: 203Posts: 1,267 Platinum Tees

On -, @mvhoffman said:

I only get charged 1/2 the time...

My Cart and Clubs

What do you mean by this? Are you getting free golf?

Posted:
  • BunkerSnotBunkerSnot Gonzo Golfer Eugene, ORMembers  91WRX Points: 65Handicap: 20Posts: 91 Fairways

Great post. Walking seem to keep me better connected to my play the 2 or 3 times a use a cart per season are generally the poorer scoring rounds of the summer.

Posted:
  • MignuzMignuz Members  134WRX Points: 62Handicap: 3Posts: 134 Fairways

In Italy walking is normal, you can see maybe 75% of players walking and 25% having the cart.
    Playing walking is waaaay better for concentration, I just play with cart when I want to play quick 9 and there's no players in the course.

Posted:
  • TerpFangolferTerpFangolfer Members  690WRX Points: 146Handicap: 6.2Posts: 690 Golden Tee

On -, @The7thLetter said:

Only way to play the game - I wish more people in the US would walk.

Amen, that's also why I love going to the UK & Ireland for golf trips...would choose that over pretty much any USA "resort" style golf trip

I grew up walking all the time...now 80%+ of my US golf is riding

Posted:
    TM R1
    TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
    Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
    Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
    Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
    Ping TR 1966 Anser2

Advertisement
  • SuperbritSuperbrit Members  652WRX Points: 171Posts: 652 Golden Tee

Im in the UK so walking is the norm, im a member of a private club & we have about 200 members, there are 2 carts! think ive seen one being used about 5 times in total

Posted:

Taylormade SIM Max 9.0* (Ventus Blue S)
    Taylormade M6 15* 3 wood (Hzrdus Smoke 6.0)
    Taylormade M6 18* 5 wood (Hzrdus Smoke 6.0)
    Adams DHY 21* & 24* (Aldila S )
    TI Taylormade RSI TP 5-PW (1.5* flat, 1 - 2* weak) (Pro Modus 130s)
    Taylormade MG black 52 (53) (2* flat, 1* weak) (DG S300)
    TI Taylormade MG Raw 58 LB (3* flat) (KBS S Taper 125)
    Taylormade Ghost Tour Corza putter

• SuperbritSuperbrit Members  652WRX Points: 171Posts: 652 Golden Tee

On -, @Superbrit said:

Im in the UK so walking is the norm, im a member of a private club & we have about 200 members, there are 2 carts! think ive seen one being used about 5 times in total

I couldnt imagine using a cart more than maybe once or twice a year at a resort

Posted:

Taylormade SIM Max 9.0* (Ventus Blue S)
    Taylormade M6 15* 3 wood (Hzrdus Smoke 6.0)
    Taylormade M6 18* 5 wood (Hzrdus Smoke 6.0)
    Adams DHY 21* & 24* (Aldila S )
    TI Taylormade RSI TP 5-PW (1.5* flat, 1 - 2* weak) (Pro Modus 130s)
    Taylormade MG black 52 (53) (2* flat, 1* weak) (DG S300)
    TI Taylormade MG Raw 58 LB (3* flat) (KBS S Taper 125)
    Taylormade Ghost Tour Corza putter

• andrueandrue Members  1496WRX Points: 262Handicap: 21Posts: 1,496 Platinum Tees

I've always walked and will until I am no longer capable (which will hopefully not be until I'm dead). I walk a lot anyway. I don't generally go rambling around the countryside but I do walk for an hour (4 miles+ ) every lunch break and sometimes walk around my town just because I have nothing better to do.

Walking is good for you both physically and mentally. But returning more specifically to golf I find it gives me more time to appreciate the beauty of the course. I don't mean that I'm a slow golfer (**** no!) but when you're driving in a buggy or even riding one the scenery just seems to pass by in a blur. Golf becomes nothing more than a sequence of swings interrupted by brief periods of boring travel.

We all know what Mark Twain said but I feel the exact opposite. A good walk is enhanced by stopping to swing a golf club occasionally. It gives meaning to the experience. For me using a buggy is like playing a golf simulator - all swing and no atmosphere.

Thankfully buggies are still uncommon in the UK - a lot of clubs like mine don't even allow them in competitions unless the player is exempted on medical grounds.

On -, @caniac6 said:

I'll ride when it's very hot, but I walk almost all the time. I'm 65, and have been playing close to 50 years. My father is 91, and still playing. He walked well into his 80s, and I think this has helped him stay active and healthy for so long.

There's a chap I meet occasionally at my club who must be in his 80s and he walks 9 while carrying. Meanwhile there's me playing 18 with an electric trolley - albeit with more clubs in my bag :)

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue Driver.
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
    Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
    Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
    Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
    Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).
  • weavej1weavej1 Members  141WRX Points: 152Posts: 141 Fairways

Well, welcome to Pittsburgh, unfortunately we are sw Pennsylvania and not Maine we have what we have, how about north park, South Park, lindenwood, riverview in Elizabeth, schenley Park is only walking. Stoughton acres, Blackhawk just to name a few. Not sure what makes a course unwalkable for you? We have hills and valleys not going to change.

Posted:
    Wishon 10.5 919 driver
    Pure fit Raw ID 4 wood
    Ping rapture 21 degree
    4-9 ping zing with aerotech regular
    50;54;58 ping tour wedges
    Seemore fgp giant
    Ping moonlite bag
  • Under2hoursUnder2hours Members  1502WRX Points: 124Handicap: 13.2Posts: 1,502 Platinum Tees

Our course is as hilly a course as you'll find, with only 3 holes that have no elevation change (2 are par threes that actually do if you don't hit it on the green). Everyone who can walks.... Well designed course so as outside one hole there are no hikes from the green to the next tee.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • caniac6caniac6 Members  3358WRX Points: 1,003Handicap: 4Posts: 3,358 Titanium Tees

We were playing yesterday morning, and ran into a couple out walking the cart path. They were from Northern Ireland, and were visiting their daughter in North Carolina. The guy was 71, and works as a caddie at Royal County Down. He's had two hip replacements, and still does two loops per day. If that's not inspiring, I don't know what is!

Posted:
  • RoodyRoody A little gust, Romes Rochester, NYMembers  1214WRX Points: 293Handicap: 7.1Posts: 1,214 Platinum Tees

I bought one of these a little over a year ago, and I've probably walked 80-90% of my rounds this season. I even convinced my wife to get one as well.

I've been playing golf for close to 25 years now, and before this season I was definitely a cart guy. Though I will admit that part of the reason we got the Motocaddys is because we joined a private club last year, and they ding you $18 per person to take a cart for 18 holes. Our course is pretty walk-able, and having this helps with the few holes where we do have to huff it uphill.

Posted:
    Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
    Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges (60, 55, 50)
  • HellstormHellstorm Members  662WRX Points: 108Handicap: 12Posts: 662 Golden Tee

I've lived in and around Pittsburgh most of my life. It's pretty impossible to find a course that's fairly flat...especially a public one. There are walkable courses out there though. There may be one or two holes with a good distance between holes but for the most part they are fairly close. Now that I live over near Youngstown, there are a bunch of older courses and courses that were private that went public that you can walk. I think a lot of courses now ding you for the same price walking as they do riding, so you aren't really saving any money. But yeah...if the hills and valleys are an issue, Pittsburgh isn't going to be walker friendly.

Posted:
  • RSinSGRSinSG St George, UT (Formerly Palm Springs, CA)ClubWRX  3360WRX Points: 433Handicap: 7.2Posts: 3,360 ClubWRX

I never rode when I started playing in the late 60’s because I had no money. Then for most of my golf life all I did was ride because that’s what my buddies did and courses in Palm Springs discourage walking. After retiring I joined a couple of leagues that have a lot of walkers. Now I walk 2x a week and hopefully will be doing it for a long time. I’m 68 and several of the walkers have 15 years on me including a few who carry because they don’t like to push a cart. I’m not a walking purist though. If it’s over 95 I’m riding. The courses I play are hilly and the heat is brutal for walking.

Posted:
    Ping G410 Tour AD DI S
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course

Advertisement
  • JoelsimJoelsim Members  1419WRX Points: 522Handicap: 12Posts: 1,419 Platinum Tees

On -, @BKN1964 said:

I learned to play from my grandfather who always rode. Taking a cart was all I knew initially. Later started playing with my friends and we couldn't afford carts. My thought at the time was that carts were a luxury, something to strive for. When I started playing again about 5 years ago at the age of 50, I came to the realization that golf was meant to be played walking and choose it whenever practical. I feel that anyone who's capable of walking but chooses a cart most of the time is missing out on some of the joys and benefits of the game. I regularly play with guys in their 70's who walk, some carrying, some with push carts, who strongly believe that walking the course regularly has helped them stay healthy and strong. And to top it off, they're better golfers than I am.

Couldn’t agree more on the fitness thing. I reckon walking the course will add years to the average golfer’s useful golf life.

Posted:
    Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy Jaws 60W Low and Mack Daddy 4 64S, Cleveland CBX 2 54 Rotex 
    Putters: Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 (Jumbo Lamkin), Bettinardi Studio Stock #28 Slotback (Winn Dri-Tac), Bettinardi Queen Bee #9 (Winn Dri-Tac), Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Palm Beach (Winn Dri-Tac),  Cleveland Huntington Beach #10 (Winn Dri-Tac), Piretti Forza (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Matera Elite (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Cottonwood II (Piretti Fat Grip).

Well done Bill, I’ll bet you’re much happier now.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.