Fell in love with walking

Comments

• burnsd427burnsd427 Members  111WRX Points: 97Posts: 111 Fairways

I don't think anyone could walk 18 at Stonewolf Golf Club and play any respectable golf. Finishing my last year playing there.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • mvhoffmanmvhoffman Mikey NEPAMembers  1717WRX Points: 218Handicap: 10Posts: 1,717 Platinum Tees

On -, @MountainGoat said:

On -, @caniac6 said:

Started carrying again this week, and feels great.

Same here. Walking and carrying this past week has restored love of the game. I owe you guys a real debt of gratitude for encouraging this. I thought my walking days were over, but pretty clearly they're not.

Great job man!!! Take it slow and build up. Very happy for you!

Posted:
    Driver - Mizuno ST 180 11.5u* w Kuro Kage Silver TiNi DC 60g S Shaft
                                                          Aldila RIP Phenom 70g X Shaft
                                                          Aldila NV 65 Green 65g S Shaft tipped 3/4in
    Fairway wood - 2015 Callaway Great Big Bertha 18* w Aldilla NV 75g S shaft
    Hybrid - Adams Pro Hybrid @ 20* w Aldilla NV 105g S shaft
    Irons/Wedges - Ping i25 4-LW w Ping CFS Stiff shafts
    Putter - Bastain Milled Flow Neck Fusion Golf Prototype w UST FF shaft @ 33"
    Ball - Callaway SuperSoft/SuperHot / Callaway Chrome Soft X
    Grips - Golf Pride NDMC Standard
    Putter Grip: Golf Pride SNSR Straight 104
  • BraxtonFullertonBraxtonFullerton Members  70WRX Points: 34Handicap: 21Posts: 70 Bunkers

I love walking but most courses in my region are very hilly. Usually dying by the time I get to the 11th-12th tee and has led me to taking a bit of a breather at the turn to make sure I snack and hydrate properly.

Posted:

Taylormade SIM 9° / UST Mamiya Helium 5F4 Shaft

Cobra King F8 One Length 4 & 5 Hybrid

Cobra King F8 6-GW irons

Cleveland RTX 2.0 54° & 58° Wedges

Ping Scottsdale TR Senita B Putter

• MonstermackMonstermack Members  6WRX Points: 5Posts: 6 Bunkers

I prefer to walk when I play by myself. I like the exercise aspect of it and the fact that it loosens me up earlier in the round. Riding without hitting any range balls it'll take me 2-3 holes to loosen up. Walking I've got a nice sweat going by the end of hole 1. And that helps lower my score. Plus I concentrate more on the golf when I walk.

If I'm playing with someone else I prefer to ride the cart so we can socialize. None of my friends are what could be considered "serious" players. To them it is another event to consume alcohol.
    If the course is busy we'll drop off one person at their ball and the other will drive to theirs and we'll play ready golf. If the course isn't busy we'll just ride together to each ball.

But nowadays none of my friends golf anymore...so it is mostly walking for me.

Posted:
  • Sean2Sean2 Members  32478WRX Points: 2,476Posts: 32,478 Titanium Tees

I am closing in on 65 and walk 99% of the time. I do it for the exercise. I also do quite a bit of hiking. I will use the gym in the winter, but my main form of exercise is walking. Fitbit tells me cardio fitness level is "excellent", and at my last Stress Test the cardiologist said my fitness level is outstanding for my age group. Though I found that a bit hard to believe. My mother is 89 and walks 3 to 4 miles a day.

Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

• mvhoffmanmvhoffman Mikey NEPAMembers  1717WRX Points: 218Handicap: 10Posts: 1,717 Platinum Tees

Saturday and Sunday are forcasted to be above freezing in the morning (34* each morning) here in Pennsylvania. I'm hoping to get out to walk 18 each day before we leave for Florida on 11/28 (after Turkey of course)

Posted:

Advertisement
  • GolfMinimalistGolfMinimalist Members  104WRX Points: 29Posts: 104 Fairways

I love walking. If a course is remotely walkable, you won't find me in a cart.

Posted:
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers  2631WRX Points: 1,231Posts: 2,631 Titanium Tees

Update on my revitalized walking initiative. Walked to the course today carrying my clubs, hit a bucket on the range, and walked back. It’s a round trip of about four miles. Tiring but I lived thru it. This might be my winter time conditioning and swing maintenance program.

Posted:
  • LyinEyeLyinEye Members  353WRX Points: 164Posts: 353 Greens

One small step for man, one giant leap for a mountain goat.

Posted:
  • 86020818602081 Members  2054WRX Points: 225Handicap: 10Posts: 2,054 Platinum Tees

Love walking.. But my golfing buddies don't ..

Today, we're trying to beat the oncoming rain.. Walked 18 while my golf buddy was riding a cart. I had to run on couple of holes to make it It was like speed golf..

We finished 18 holes in 2 hours and 15 minutes and shot 78.. Pretty good and rewarding day..

Posted:
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers  2631WRX Points: 1,231Posts: 2,631 Titanium Tees
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • Munich77Munich77 Members  365WRX Points: 105Posts: 365 Greens

I always walk and carry I don't really enjoy taking a cart. Golfing and walking is cheap therapy for me :)

Posted:
  • pat_katopat_kato ClubWRX  164WRX Points: 145Posts: 164 ClubWRX

To be honest, I want to walk one day when my scores get a little better. I just started the game not too long ago and I still get shots that take some time to find even in a golf cart. I'd feel bad if anyone has to wait for me while I try to find my wall in the rough and I try to be respectful with the speed of play. When I hit the ball more consistently onto the short grass I'll definitely walk and carry.

Posted:
    Driver: TaylorMade SIM Max 9º Ventus Black 6s Stiff Flex
    Fairway: TaylorMade SIM Max 3 Wood Ventus Blue 7s Stiff Flex
    Hybrid: TaylorMade SIM MAX 3H Ventus Blue 6s Flex
    Irons: Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-P True Temper Dynalite 105 Stiff Flex
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 52º F Grind, 56º M Grind, 60º M Grind 
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • No5somesNo5somes Members  79WRX Points: 28Posts: 79 Fairways

I much prefer walking. Trouble is that most courses oppose it. Other problem when walking is getting stuck behind a group in carts, that was 5 holes ahead when we started. Then, the groups behind us, in carts, start driving up our a$$ 'cuz we're trapped behind a hackfest. Carts are for disabled people only & need to be eliminated from the game. Will never happen, but, a guy can dream.

Posted:

Driver: Nobody cares

Fairway woods: Whatever brand gets me "brownie points."

Irons: Why not?

Wedges: The bouncy ones or was that the grindy kind; can't quite remember.

Putter: When needed

Golf ball: Duh,...can't play without one, lol. 🙄

NOW LET'S GO PLAY SOME GOLF!

• klebs01klebs01 Members  492WRX Points: 137Handicap: 3.2Posts: 492 Greens

I generally find it easier and faster to find balls when walking. You are able to go directly to the area and start looking. Give walking a shot not. You may play better and faster.

Posted:

Once you find yourself starting to improve and consistently start hitting the ball in play, then go for the walking. It will make you play a little better as well because you won’t have the grip and rip mindset. You’ll find yourself laying up more, hitting safer shots, etc.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • HellstormHellstorm Members  662WRX Points: 108Handicap: 12Posts: 662 Golden Tee

Stonewall as in Olde Stonewall in New Sewickley? If that is the course you are referring too, no way walking is an option there. They would find your body somewhere between 12 and 13 turning blue. I think you could do the front 9 and be OK but the back 9...not a chance.

Posted:
  • jah7838jah7838 Members  1257WRX Points: 213Posts: 1,257 Platinum Tees

I live in North Texas, and prefer to walk from fall all the way into the spring. Once summer comes around, then I'll ride in the cart. It's hard enough to stay hydrated in the golf cart in the middle of summer. I really started walking last fall, and really enjoyed it. I actually prefer walking because of the exercise, and because you get a different view of the course each time you play it. It's also helpful for me when it comes to staying warm on really cold days. I'd much rather sweat than freeze. Fortunately, the main courses that I play do allow walkers, but there are a few holes at each course that are a trek to the next tee box. On a busy weekend, it's not too bad because your wait isn't as long on the box when you get there. My first few rounds walking were really tough on my legs, but I focused on making them stronger during my workouts, and it's not that big of a deal now.

Posted:
    WITB
    Driver: 9.5* M3 Speeder 757 Speeder Evolution Tour Spec Stiff Flex
    Fairway: Cobra F9 Tour 3 wood set to 15* with Proforce V2 7F4, Cobra F6 Baffler set to 19* with Motore Speeder 8.3 Stiff/Aldila Tour Blue 85s (5 Wood)
    Hybrids: 19* Adams XTD Super Hybrid VTS 100s, 23* Adams Super 9031 S300
    Irons: 4 (Recoil 125 F4), 5-PW Ben Hoga PTx Pro DGTI S400
    Wedges: 48* bent to 49* Hogan TK wedge, RTX 4 52* bent to 53* Mid, and Mizuon S18 56* bent to 58*. All wedges have DGTI S400
    Putter: Odyssey O Works #7 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish...Toulon Las Vegas is on the way!
  • BGH2BGH2 Members  6WRX Points: 5Posts: 6 Bunkers

There are many reasons I would rather walk, and I usually do -- maybe 90% of the time -- but it definitely restricts the number of people I can play with. When I ride it is always to be with people I want to play with who can't or won't walk.

Posted:

I've walked Boulder Creek in Streetsboro, Ohio & Smokey Mountain CC in Whittier, NC. Can't be much easier than Stonewolf. Agreed, it's more difficult to walk 1/4 mile ish from some greens to tees & up long mountainous slopes.

Posted:

• Jack PearsallJack Pearsall Members  3487WRX Points: 268Posts: 3,487 Titanium Tees

His home course is tediously flat, and he almost always walks it unless it’s going to be unsocial with friends.

— some courses are really not best to walk as you all have noted. CC have been predominantly carts.

there are some courses just so hilly here...in Hawaii he uses a cart, and that’s normal at resorts...which is funny now that he thinks about it, he has never not used a cart at a resort anywhere...ever...what a vacation sloth!

Posted:
    Taylormade SLDR TP 430 10*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 15*
    Taylormade SLDR 19*
    Titleist 909H 21*
    Mizuno MP FliHi 24*
    Mizuno Yoro MP-15 5-PW
    Mizuno MP T7 52* 58*
    Odyssey White Hot #6

Advertisement
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX  1987WRX Points: 278Handicap: 17Posts: 1,987 ClubWRX

Walked nine today with my golf bud, and what a beautiful day it was. The course was deserted for the most part, perfect. The ground was sparsely decorated with grass, oh well.

Posted:

Ping GMax 10.5
    Cobra F9 5 & 7 Wd
    Callaway OS 5 ,6 Hybrid
    Cobra F9 6-Pw Irons
    Ping Glide 50,54 Wedges
    SM7 58* D
    TM Pro Spyder Mid Putter
    ERC
    Garmin S20

• burnsd427burnsd427 Members  111WRX Points: 97Posts: 111 Fairways

Stonewolf, Fairview Hts, IL. Nicklaus Design. Not walkable for golf.

Posted:
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX  1987WRX Points: 278Handicap: 17Posts: 1,987 ClubWRX

Same with the course above, the back nine is a billy goat trail. Walked it a year ago, never again.

Posted:

Ping GMax 10.5
    Cobra F9 5 & 7 Wd
    Callaway OS 5 ,6 Hybrid
    Cobra F9 6-Pw Irons
    Ping Glide 50,54 Wedges
    SM7 58* D
    TM Pro Spyder Mid Putter
    ERC
    Garmin S20

• HellstormHellstorm Members  662WRX Points: 108Handicap: 12Posts: 662 Golden Tee
    Posted:
  • bullie76bullie76 Members  2281WRX Points: 224Handicap: 9Posts: 2,281 Platinum Tees

I walk on the golf course every morning with my dog. But never to play golf. When I worked I played 9 late in the day and I walked then.

Posted:
    My senior bag.......
    Callaway Rogue 9 * driver & 3,5 fw woods reg
    Callaway Rogue X 4,5,6 hybrids reg
    Cobra F9 SL 6-gap Recoil 780 f3 shafts
    Cobra King Black SL 56*
    Odyssey O-Works Marman black putter
    Datrex 15 way IDS cart bag - black

Advertisement
  • tacklingdummytacklingdummy Members  145WRX Points: 82Posts: 145 Fairways

Walking is the best. Good exercise and you really get to see the course more. Such a better experience.

Posted:
  • Matt70Matt70 Members  372WRX Points: 71Handicap: 1Posts: 372 Greens

Carts have been ruining golf since they were created. Only reason to use one is medical or extreme heat/cold.

Golf is a bag on your back and being amongst nature.

Posted:
    Don White, Custom BB&FC, 2 step muscle backs.
    Golds Factory Oil Can MB's
    Mizuno Mp-33
    Cameron SCAD' 05, 2/18.
    Cameron 009
    Cameron Napa Grapes.
    1/1 Kari Lajosi Damascus/TEL.
    James Ingles & Scott Readman handmade
    Golds Factory Private Stock no.1.
    Bettinardi FCB 1/1
    Odyssey Dual Force 440.

Boulder Creek would be brutal to walk, but still maybe half of Olde Stonewall. That back 9 at Boulder...climbing that mountain....twice....not for me.

Posted:

Advertisement

I agree, it's not the most difficult. Smokey Mountain CC, on the other hand was just stupid to walk. Almost need rappelling gear. Didn't know any better 'cuz hadn't been there before...never again.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.