2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Quality of Middle and High School programs

I've had an idea with a way to help Middle School and High School programs to have access to a better quality practice routines. Who is happy with their middle school/high school team coach's routine and the way they operate practices. What do they do well? On the flip side of that coin. What is it that you don't like about your middle school or high school team programs?

Thanks!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @mattwalterpga said:

> I've had an idea with a way to help Middle School and High School programs to have access to a better quality practice routines. Who is happy with their middle school/high school team coach's routine and the way they operate practices. What do they do well? On the flip side of that coin. What is it that you don't like about your middle school or high school team programs?

>

> Thanks!

Last year I was ready to pull the son from the team. High school was getting in the way of regular tournaments. It was just as bad as a club team.

Slightly off-topic:

My son's middle school requires sports participation each season (Fall/Winter/Summer) starting next year in 7th grade, but they don't offer Middle School Golf.

Rather than have him play other sports he is not focused on, I am considering asking the school whether they would allow him to play on the high school varsity team. (I believe he will be able to post scores that will put him among the top 3-4 starters.)

Does anyone have experience having their child play varsity as a middle school student? Pros/cons?

TIA

> @leezer99 said:

> Paging @heavy_hitter ... please come to the front counter.

We were texting this weekend.... lol

I would just like for there to be communication and a practice schedule. There hasn't been one parent meeting. Kids in our program won't know when and where they are practicing until they get out of school at 2:05.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

> @JuniorGolfParent said:

> Slightly off-topic:

>

> My son's middle school requires sports participation each season (Fall/Winter/Summer) starting next year in 7th grade, but they don't offer Middle School Golf.

>

> Rather than have him play other sports he is not focused on, I am considering asking the school whether they would allow him to play on the high school varsity team. (I believe he will be able to post scores that will put him among the top 3-4 starters.)

>

> Does anyone have experience having their child play varsity as a middle school student? Pros/cons?

>

> TIA

Check to see if your state has a limit On the number of years for high school participation. For example, my state allows only four years total. Once that number is reached the athlete is ineligible.

I > @JuniorGolfParent said:

> Slightly off-topic:

>

> My son's middle school requires sports participation each season (Fall/Winter/Summer) starting next year in 7th grade, but they don't offer Middle School Golf.

>

> Rather than have him play other sports he is not focused on, I am considering asking the school whether they would allow him to play on the high school varsity team. (I believe he will be able to post scores that will put him among the top 3-4 starters.)

>

> Does anyone have experience having their child play varsity as a middle school student? Pros/cons?

>

> TIA

I will text someone to answer your question. Good guy. He doesn't frequent the forums much and when he does he usually only lurks.

> @JBirdUt said:

> > @JuniorGolfParent said:

> > Slightly off-topic:

> >

> > My son's middle school requires sports participation each season (Fall/Winter/Summer) starting next year in 7th grade, but they don't offer Middle School Golf.

> >

> > Rather than have him play other sports he is not focused on, I am considering asking the school whether they would allow him to play on the high school varsity team. (I believe he will be able to post scores that will put him among the top 3-4 starters.)

> >

> > Does anyone have experience having their child play varsity as a middle school student? Pros/cons?

> >

> > TIA

>

> Check to see if your state has a limit On the number of years for high school participation. For example, my state allows only four years total. Once that number is reached the athlete is ineligible.

Years of eligibility should not be an issue.

I am a little concerned about interaction with much older students on the team, especially for tournaments where there is overnight stay required, spring break trip, etc.

I would say go for it if the HS Sports bylaws of your state allows so. I can say from my experience that my son benefited a lot by playing HS school as a middle schooler. Playing additional golf in the spring, normally in tough weather and course conditions, helped him get ready for the summer when most tournaments occur. Regarding interaction with older kids - it should not be a big concern and middle schoolers today are actually more mature than parents tend to think. Plus the coach will/should keep an eye on when younger kids are allowed on the team. Good luck.

> @JuniorGolfParent said:

> > @JBirdUt said:

> > > @JuniorGolfParent said:

> > > Slightly off-topic:

> > >

> > > My son's middle school requires sports participation each season (Fall/Winter/Summer) starting next year in 7th grade, but they don't offer Middle School Golf.

> > >

> > > Rather than have him play other sports he is not focused on, I am considering asking the school whether they would allow him to play on the high school varsity team. (I believe he will be able to post scores that will put him among the top 3-4 starters.)

> > >

> > > Does anyone have experience having their child play varsity as a middle school student? Pros/cons?

> > >

> > > TIA

> >

> > Check to see if your state has a limit On the number of years for high school participation. For example, my state allows only four years total. Once that number is reached the athlete is ineligible.

>

> Years of eligibility should not be an issue.

>

> I am a little concerned about interaction with much older students on the team, especially for tournaments where there is overnight stay required, spring break trip, etc.

> @golfer55082 said:

> I would say go for it if the HS Sports bylaws of your state allows so. I can say from my experience that my son benefited a lot by playing HS school as a middle schooler. Playing additional golf in the spring, normally in tough weather and course conditions, helped him get ready for the summer when most tournaments occur. Regarding interaction with older kids - it should not be a big concern and middle schoolers today are actually more mature than parents tend to think. Plus the coach will/should keep an eye on when younger kids are allowed on the team. Good luck.

>

> > @JuniorGolfParent said:

> > > @JBirdUt said:

> > > > @JuniorGolfParent said:

> > > > Slightly off-topic:

> > > >

> > > > My son's middle school requires sports participation each season (Fall/Winter/Summer) starting next year in 7th grade, but they don't offer Middle School Golf.

> > > >

> > > > Rather than have him play other sports he is not focused on, I am considering asking the school whether they would allow him to play on the high school varsity team. (I believe he will be able to post scores that will put him among the top 3-4 starters.)

> > > >

> > > > Does anyone have experience having their child play varsity as a middle school student? Pros/cons?

> > > >

> > > > TIA

> > >

> > > Check to see if your state has a limit On the number of years for high school participation. For example, my state allows only four years total. Once that number is reached the athlete is ineligible.

> >

> > Years of eligibility should not be an issue.

> >

> > I am a little concerned about interaction with much older students on the team, especially for tournaments where there is overnight stay required, spring break trip, etc.

>

>

I knew you would answer. Hope you are well.

I was summoned to answer so here I am :)

Another information that you probably already know is that none HS tournaments are JGS ranked; that is good and fair because the scores tend to be higher/worse for games played in 40 degree temperature with 20-30 wind gust, which are typical for many early Spring meets.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @golfer55082 said:

> > I would say go for it if the HS Sports bylaws of your state allows so. I can say from my experience that my son benefited a lot by playing HS school as a middle schooler. Playing additional golf in the spring, normally in tough weather and course conditions, helped him get ready for the summer when most tournaments occur. Regarding interaction with older kids - it should not be a big concern and middle schoolers today are actually more mature than parents tend to think. Plus the coach will/should keep an eye on when younger kids are allowed on the team. Good luck.

> >

> > > @JuniorGolfParent said:

> > > > @JBirdUt said:

> > > > > @JuniorGolfParent said:

> > > > > Slightly off-topic:

> > > > >

> > > > > My son's middle school requires sports participation each season (Fall/Winter/Summer) starting next year in 7th grade, but they don't offer Middle School Golf.

> > > > >

> > > > > Rather than have him play other sports he is not focused on, I am considering asking the school whether they would allow him to play on the high school varsity team. (I believe he will be able to post scores that will put him among the top 3-4 starters.)

> > > > >

> > > > > Does anyone have experience having their child play varsity as a middle school student? Pros/cons?

> > > > >

> > > > > TIA

> > > >

> > > > Check to see if your state has a limit On the number of years for high school participation. For example, my state allows only four years total. Once that number is reached the athlete is ineligible.

> > >

> > > Years of eligibility should not be an issue.

> > >

> > > I am a little concerned about interaction with much older students on the team, especially for tournaments where there is overnight stay required, spring break trip, etc.

> >

> >

>

> I knew you would answer. Hope you are well.

I am a high school girl's coach...have coached boys in the past. I am surprised that other states dont allow 7th graders to compete at the varsity level. I started our girls program with two 7th grade girls and they competed against all other varsity schools and upper classmen. We dot have middle school programs bc there just isnt a lot of participation but our middle school kids prob get more consideration bc of them being young and having a higher upside. I told the boys I coached that I would prefer a 7th grader that shoots 120 over a senior that shoots 100.

As for practices, we usually have a team meeting at the beginning of the year but all it really does is give me a chance to get them started on our fundraising golf tournament. I let the girls' parents know where practice will be and from what times. I cant be too specific but our practices usually end around 530-6...sometimes a little earlier sometimes a little later.

We dont have an actual practice plan, just work on whatever is needed. We do spend a lot of time from 50 yards and in though. We will do work on the course as well, find a hole where there isnt anyone around and do some work. I started doing something different last year that helped a ton. A few days a week, I got my girls carts for practice. We are handcuffed until the time changes bc the girls dont get to practice and ready until about 415ish (they get out at 345) and it gets dark around 530 so I started getting them carts to try and get in as many holes as possible and it helps a bunch.

Good post and replys out middle school has no team and after talking with them doesn't seem there interested in having one. May get to play are practice with high school team in 7th grade. Shouldn't be a problem with making the team then if they will let him. We played with some the kids and he can beat most of them now. noticed the rule about years allowed to play varsity golf. Does anyone know the if its 4 only in Georgia. Hard to tell GHSA website is trash. Thanks for your help thanks

A quick look at your GHSA By-Laws...

Looks like the 4 year rule is in effect but starts upon entering 9th grade. However, "students below the eighth grade are not eligible to participate on any high school team.",, and "students in grade 8 are never eligible for a varsity event in any activity." That said, when he is in 8th grade her could practice with and play on a sub-varsity team

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

> @"Mr. Grumpy" said:

> A quick look at your GHSA By-Laws...

> Looks like the 4 year rule is in effect but starts upon entering 9th grade. However, "students below the eighth grade are not eligible to participate on any high school team.",, and "students in grade 8 are never eligible for a varsity event in any activity." That said, when he is in 8th grade her could practice with and play on a sub-varsity team

Thanks for your help Grumpy.

Thats strange to me. In MS, there are a few sports such as golf and swimming, that do not have middle school/junior high teams. I have also seen 8th graders pulled up to play volleyball at the high school level. At the end of last year, I had an 8th grade student pulled to practice with the high school for football. He is now a freshman wide receiver with the team (but I get that he wasnt playing varsity in 8th grade). I lettered in golf from 7th grade thru my SR year at my high school, so its all different to me that middle schoolers cant play with the varsity team.

Virginia's eligibility rules are a bit convoluted and don't differentiate between sports, which in my estimation is ridiculous. In all sports, students have 5 years to play 4. Meaning 8th graders are eligible for varsity competition but can only play at the varsity level for 4 years. Therefore, it is exceedingly rare for an 8th grader to actually play at the varsity level given they would be ineligible by their senior year. Students will also be ineligible for any sport if they turn 19 prior to August 1st of their senior year. It is much more commonplace to see a kid repeat 8th grade so long as they would not turn 19 before August 1st of their senior year.

Examples from my daughters school system. A teammate on my daughters swim team posted scores last season as an 8th grader that would have won the varsity state tournament in 3 different events, yet was on the middle school team! Several years ago, a golfer who would later play at the University of Georgia was outplaying the varsity golf team by several shots per round on average but wasn't on the varsity golf team. His 8th grade year, the varsity golf team won the state tournament for the 2nd time in 5 seasons and the best golfer in the school wasn't on the team.

The entire school division has 1,321 students in grades K-12 so, there are fluctuations in talent and participation throughout all activities and sports. For example, the varsity golf team this season consisted of 1 kid while the middle school team had 14. The MS team will be a force when those kids are eligible for varsity competition. My home club offers student memberships for $210 annually and are good until that student turns 21. This program also has an extremely high rate of membership retention. When these students turn 21, they almost always become stock-holding members of the club. The head professional/GM is also the head golf coach for the high school program. They have 6 team state championships, 3 team runner-up finishes and 2 individual state championships since 2003. The key components to this success is a consistent place to play and practice everyday and the membership always keeps the kids competing for something. If the kids lose, they wash and wax the members car. If the kids win, the member treats them to a burger and shake. Nothing drastic and membership never takes money from the kids. But they stand to lose something and it ingrains a will to compete.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> @heavy_hitter

>

> One reason I have few parent problems...#1 rule of my programs is communication and it goes both ways. 95% of the issues people have with High School programs would be alleviated by better communication.

jhvzedp60bak.png