Stange/Funny Things in Heard in Your Golf Shop/At Your Course/Range

WristySwing

I'm interested to hear some questionable things you overheard in a golf shop. I'd like to try and keep this as anti-store-bashing as possible, as enough of that goes on in the Deal/No Deal Forum. I wanted this to be more fun, like silly things you might have heard at the driving range (strange/unsolicited tips from a stranger), odd requests (asking to go out as a single on a packed Sunday and then being PO'd they can't), or just completely misinformed individuals making fools of themselves. I'll get things moving.

1) I had a customer come into my shop for a fitting. They were looking at some new irons that were lightweight as **they currently played 1995 Cobra I Oversize irons with stiff steel in them**, which they found too heavy. Moving through the fit the customer hits their 6i about 95y in the air, low efficiency, and poor strikes. The odd one when struck well creeps up to the 110 mark. No problem, I see this every day. This is a senior player just looking for distance and a bit more accuracy. I get them into some hot faced, forgiving irons with 60g senior graphites in them that they hit about 10-12 in a row right in the sweetspot, 120 carry, and super straight. Easy sale, +20 yards in the air at a similar loft, a club they can draw with ease, better height, better spin, much improved strike. Now I will say, on some product we do offer a similar CC like build, head + shaft + grip type pricing but the customer was fine with this. I outlined why (these shafts are not stock), why these were the perfect heads (we tried 3-4 other heads and they didn't work nearly as well, you hit the Callaway a lot further yes but for every shot you pured you hit the next one about 45 yards in every direction), typical fitter stuff. All is well, customer picks up their clubs when they are ready and I assume all is well. I reach out in 2-3 weeks after pickup as is normal to see if there's any minor tweaks that need to be done (grips feel okay, loft/lie needs to be readdressed, etc.) and get a scathing email that they should have just gone to Golf Galaxy or PGA Super Store because I sold them old man clubs that are 20-30 yards shorter than their old irons. I was shocked, because the data showed a 20 yard pick up and you wanted lighter I say. Well, it turns out the Cobra's were an old junker set they never used, **they actually play Ping G Max's with 95g XP R300s** that they found too heavy as well but thought that the Cobra's were close enough just because of the shaft type being steel. Doy! Refund and a stern warning that I am doing this out of the goodness of my heart but this was purely their fault and to please never say you got a bad fit from me as this was impossible for me to predict.

2) A customer in front of me in a Golf Galaxy once tried to use a stack of 15% off promo codes they had got from signing up for the newsletter to multiple fake email accounts off a set of Ping irons to make them free. The guy looked stunned when they cashier said okay the price is $1000. His face scrunched up and he said, no, these should be free, I have coupons. The cashier explained that one, the coupons had all expired but they gave it to them anyways, and two it was only good one per purchase and one per customer as a thanks for signing up kind of thing. Then they said even if it did allow stacking of coupons, it would never be free as the 15% just didn't keep coming off the original price as 15% less 15% didn't mean 30% off, it meant 15%, so 85% of retail, then 15% off the 85% so roughly 13% off that, and so on. He asked to see a manager as a collective groan came from all of us behind them. The manager explained the same thing. The customer used the famous "I'm a good customer, I've spent thousands of dollars in this store and this is how you treat me?" and of course left without buying the Ping irons, that were of course, excluded from the discount anyway had they read the various signs at the checkout and on the coupon itself. I said to the cashier as I left that I bet you'd never seen him before and you'll never see them again, they just smiled and said, yup you got it!

MGFA --- Making Golf Fun Again

Paradym 9* - Accra TZFive 60

Paradym 15* - Accra TZFive 70

Paradym Triple Diamond 18* - Accra TZFive 70

Cobra Tec 21* and 25* - MMT 80

Ping i525 6-UW - Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* Mid and 58* Low+ - DG Tour Issue Spinner

Bettinardi Hive Custom

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

My first year out of college as an assistant pro was my 8th year working in the golf business so I had been around the block. A dentist had joined the club earlier that year and played almost every weeknight, he was mostly jovial and I enjoyed seeing him. One night I saw him heading off 18 and straight to the parking lot, he usually stopped in the shop, but he was stomping this time and pulled away. The next evening he again stormed off 18 and I went out to see what was up - “the sun is right there! 18 plays right into the setting sun and I can’t see anything. I lost 2 balls the last 2 days. This is ridiculous. Jesus, you try looking into the setting sun and finding your tee shot”. I mean, he was PISSED OFF. since we were dead every afternoon I offered to him to start on 10 this time of year and finish on 9, facing the opposite direction. That wouldn’t do he said, that I needed to do something about where the sun sets on 18. I asked if he was suggesting that I change the direction the earth rotates or change the direction of #18....... he said either would do.

• Like 2

A couple of things (where our club has a ton of 'resort play' along with member play).

Player A: Let's go, B. We are next on the tee.

Player B: Fine, let me hit one more good one.

Player A: No problem, we'll pick you up at the turn

Player A: Did you see that. You are going to be facing that all day.

Player B: Yeah, right. I know you well and there is no way that swing ever makes it onto the golf course.

I watched them tee off and B was quite correct.

dave

• Like 1

I'm on break in the maintenance shack when a golf cart pulls into our yard and a man storms out and bangs on our door. "Is the superintendent here?!?!"

"Yes, he is, would you like to speak with him"

-yes

"alright this way..."

He goes into the super's office and the door is closed. There is a 2-3 minute conversation featuring one-sided yelling. The man comes out of the office fuming and leaves.

I go in and ask "what'd he want?"

-He wants us to mow behind 12 green

"We do mow behind 12 green"

-No he meant in that forest/swamp area over the cart path behind all that. He wants all those trees gone and the undergrowth cleared out...

"What the... in the hazard?"

-He says he's lost too many balls there over the years

"And what'd you tell him?"

-I gave him the lesson center's phone number, said they'd be more help.

I worked at a high end resort/private course where the members played the other course every other day. The greens at this course were fairly quick. 10-11 normally. Had a group of members talk to the super because they wanted the greens as fast as the pros played. Now mind you, these greens also break away from the literal mountain that the course sits on, and there are some pretty good undulations. So it’s not easy. So the super made sure the greens rolled at like a 13/14. The same people came and complained that they were 4-5 putting holes and the course was backed up.

Granted these are the very same guys that didn’t understand why you don’t want fairway bunkers to play the same as green side bunkers.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

I had a guy that brought his irons into the store and wanted them regripped, with one extra wrap. I told him that no one could feel a single wrap buildup; he was adamant that he could. I then proceeded to put one extra wrap on the even clubs, leaving the odd clubs alone. I never heard from him until he brought the same clubs back for another regrip. And yes, he again requested a single wrap buildup. LOL

> @dokex said:

> I had a guy that brought his irons into the store and wanted them regripped, with one extra wrap. I told him that no one could feel a single wrap buildup; he was adamant that he could. I then proceeded to put one extra wrap on the even clubs, leaving the odd clubs alone. I never heard from him until he brought the same clubs back for another regrip. And yes, he again requested a single wrap buildup. LOL

Funny you say that, I had someone with a similar request years and years ago when I worked big box retail. My tech did as he asked except for 1 by accident. The guy came back saying that they were fine except for this one club and my tech was adamant, as was your customer, that they were done correctly so he begrudgingly cut the grip off. Lo and behold, only 1 wrap of tape. We never questioned that guy again...always did as he asked.

On the flip side there was this irritating guy that used to hang around in the summers and insist his clubs get bent 1* up, 1* flat, loft 1* either way, etc. depending on how he played that day. If he hooked/sliced a couple, he insisted it was the clubs and not his swing; a thin shot meant his clubs were too weak, a floater into the wind? Too much loft. He came in one day and asked me to bend his clubs so I did. He came back later on in the day saying I didn't bend them, I insisted I did. He said show me. Since he always knew his specs I put it in the machine, beckoned him over and showed him the club sitting at exactly his specs. He apologized profusely and left. He did the same thing to another tech a few weeks later but this time with grips. He was one of those guys that had very specific tape preferences, like 3 total length, 2 on top, and then a weirdly placed 4th piece in the middle (not exactly but you get the idea...as an aside how do you ever land on that specific taping procedure without excessive trial and error?). He said the tech did his grip wrong, my tech argued and said no. My tech said if you're right I'll pay for a new grip for you and sliced it off. The taping was perfect and the guy was all apologetic and then tried to get a free grip put back on since he just paid for one. We said no, he paid and left. Luckily after these two embarrassments in a row he showed up less and less, hopefully questioning his feels forevermore.

Bettinardi Hive Custom

I would like to try the odd/even test on the first guy; I think it was a fluke that he decided the one grip was too small. Fwiw, I pulled the opposite test on another guy who wanted one wrap on his irons. I told him that ONE grip on his set didn't get the extra wrap, and after hitting the clubs he should tell me which one. He picked the wrong club lol.

> @WristySwing said:

> ... I reach out in 2-3 weeks after pickup as is normal to see if there's any minor tweaks that need to be done (grips feel okay, loft/lie needs to be readdressed, etc.) and get a scathing email that they should have just gone to Golf Galaxy or PGA Super Store because I sold them old man clubs that are 20-30 yards shorter than their old irons. I was shocked, because the data showed a 20 yard pick up and you wanted lighter I say. Well, it turns out the Cobra's were an old junker set they never used, **they actually play Ping G Max's with 95g XP R300s** that they found too heavy as well but thought that the Cobra's were close enough just because of the shaft type being steel. Doy! Refund and a stern warning that I am doing this out of the goodness of my heart but this was purely their fault and to please never say you got a bad fit from me as this was impossible for me to predict.

>

>

This is a bit confusing to me. Why didn't you ask him to bring in the Pings to show him the new set were better than the Pings?

> @CaseyC said:

> > @WristySwing said:

> > ... I reach out in 2-3 weeks after pickup as is normal to see if there's any minor tweaks that need to be done (grips feel okay, loft/lie needs to be readdressed, etc.) and get a scathing email that they should have just gone to Golf Galaxy or PGA Super Store because I sold them old man clubs that are 20-30 yards shorter than their old irons. I was shocked, because the data showed a 20 yard pick up and you wanted lighter I say. Well, it turns out the Cobra's were an old junker set they never used, **they actually play Ping G Max's with 95g XP R300s** that they found too heavy as well but thought that the Cobra's were close enough just because of the shaft type being steel. Doy! Refund and a stern warning that I am doing this out of the goodness of my heart but this was purely their fault and to please never say you got a bad fit from me as this was impossible for me to predict.

>

> >

> >

>

> This is a bit confusing to me. Why didn't you ask him to bring in the Pings to show him the new set were better than the Pings?

>

>

I told him to. He refused. Said he wanted a full refund. I chalked it up to one of those "lessons learned" experiences and just cut my losses. Pulled the shafts and sold the heads and shafts separately to different people at a discount within the next month or two and didn't lose money (sold below cost) so it worked out. I now make it a policy that if you don't come in with your own clubs (unless your set was stolen) I won't sell the club until the person has hit them side by side.

I know the new clubs would be better than the Pings. He claimed he hits a 6i 165 outside at a 67mph swing speed...the math just doesn't add up (even if he was spinning them at like 3000 RPMs) and they were power spec'd. I just accepted the buyer's remorse hypothesis my colleagues and I came up with and made the best out of a crappy situation. Better to refund him and have him tell some people that he didn't benefit from a fitting than to hear he didn't benefit and we refused to do anything about it. Cut my losses and run.

Bettinardi Hive Custom

I've got a good one from fairly recent. A guy comes in and plays the day after our pro-am event (greens stimping at 12 compared to our usual 9 for daily play) and the greens were rolled that morning so if anything they were a hair north of 12 on the stimp. Like genuinely borderline unplayably quick for our greens. He Comes in after 9 "these are the slowest greens I've ever f***n played" i laughed cause i figured he must've been joking but he was dead serious. Anyway he goes back out and i tell the super (who hadn't finished changing holes yet, this guy was first group out) and so the super says watch this I'll teach him a lesson, goes out to the 18th green and cuts a hole about 6 feet from the water underneath a ridge. The guy comes up 18, hits it ontop of the ridge and proceeds to putt it straight down the ridge past the hole into the water. Scoops it out, tries it again and same result. Me and the super were in absolute hysterics, and when he came back in the super says "I hope the greens on the back 9 were more to your liking" and he stormed off. One of the weirder interactions I've had in a while.

• Like 2

This may be off topic a bit but I went into the men's bathroom at one of my favorite courses in the Charlotte area and was standing at the urinal when the guy in the stall next to me said, "who does #2 work for?". I replied "You show that ____ whose boss". He obviously thought I was one of his playing partners and when he didnt recognize my voice he broke out laughing.

> @ZTB481 said:

> This may be off topic a bit but I went into the men's bathroom at one of my favorite courses in the Charlotte area and was standing at the urinal when the guy in the stall next to me said, "whose does #2 work for?". I replied "You show that **** whose boss". He obviously thought I was one of his playing partners and when he didnt recognize my voice but broke out laughing.

Still qualifies in my eyes!

• Like 1

Bettinardi Hive Custom

_I had a guy that brought his irons into the store and wanted them regripped, with one extra wrap. I told him that no one could feel a single wrap buildup; he was adamant that he could. I then proceeded to put one extra wrap on the even clubs, leaving the odd clubs alone. I never heard from him until he brought the same clubs back for another regrip. And yes, he again requested a single wrap buildup. LOL

_

**I hope you only charged him for the even clubs.**

• Like 1

I worked maintenance all through high school and college and one day I was mowing tee boxes and came to #3 behind a foursome of older ladies. Three of the four hit their balls just fine down the fairway. The last one of the group completely blades her drive and hits one of the geese just off to the left of the tee box. The goose clearly had a broken leg and was making gawd awful noises as it hobbled to the lake and swam in circles. The lady who hit the goose stormed up to me complaining about the geese on the course and asked me to do something about the one she had hit. I had no idea what to say. Finally, on of her friends told her to quit bitching since it was the closest she’d been to a birdie in years. I laughed...the lady did not.

• Like 1

I was in the golf package business for 5 years. Despite some guys having played Troon North every year for a decade or more and the name being spelled out in front of them on the site, in their quote and again in the confirmation and itinerary......would call it True North.

> @Bonneville85308 said:

> I have a friend I used to play with regularly who calls the famous Oregon resort "Brandon Dunes" every time without fail even though he's been there twice.

Our club has houses bordering the fairways. I like to be first off in the morning. There is a young guy working his way through college who is on the maintenance crew. I guess the ladies find him attractive. Many a time we've been playing a hole at dawn and see the young man crawling out a window or jumping over a fence to get to the shed. And from lots of different houses. Big grin on his face, lol.

I was working as a starter in Pinehurst. Guys teeing off. First guy tees off, hits the ball in a bunker. He says "man, I used to be able to hit it over that bunker." Guy with him says "yeah, you used to be able to f**k two times on the same wood, but you can't do that anymore either." I had to cover up my face so they wouldn't see me laughing.

• Like 2

Nice guys! Keep them coming.

Bettinardi Hive Custom

My usual partner and I got partnered with another gentleman and his lady friend. The lady was only riding along and was visiting from out of state. An internet romance it seemed.

He was trying really hard to impress her all round. Talking himself up mightily.

His swing wasn’t particularly impressive, and that’s coming from me who can shoot as low a day mid 80s, or as high as low 100s.

On nearly every tee box he’d announce the yardage to the pin, then how long his second shot would be.

“415 par 4. So 105-110 wedge into the green.”

For some reason he swore he drove the ball 300-310. In reality if he drove it 250 that was a huge hit for him. Average was probably about 190 if you counted the tops and shanks.

570 yard par 5s he’d announce he’d arrive on the green in two, then two putt for birdie. Then take 6 swings to finally arrive at the green.

4 hours of listening to this guy was really quite funny. It was literally every single hole for 4 hours.

Here's some memorable ones I can think off the top of my head:

1. There was a fitter in the Syracuse area (many would know him) and he had a big driving range. He was quite the character and he always insisted on people either playing shafts way too long for them or way too short for them. My friend got fitted by him a month prior, but didn't take his advice. So we go to hit balls at his range and my friend has a standard length driver. I went to go the bathroom and as I get back I see the fitter see my friend not hitting the driver he fitted for him. The fitter was about 40 yards away from my friend and marches right over to him and yells...Bill O'Reilly 'we'll do it live' style while pointing at my friend 'THAT"S THE WRONG CLUB FOR YOU! THAT'S THE WRONG F&!#ING CLUB FOR YOU! The visual was fantastic. Not to mention that the fitter had no real way of telling what my buddy was hitting given how far away he was. My buddy and I would use that quote all of the time for years afterward.

2. Was watching the final of the match play for the City Championship. One competitor hits an errant tee shot on a par-3 and didn't yell fore and the ball whizzed right by this guy's head. One guy says 'wow, you're luck that almost hit you hit in the head!' Another spectator...without missing a beat says 'don't worry, it would've plugged.'

3. When I was living in Myrtle Beach I was working at a course and its sister course was adjacent to it. Me and a guy I worked with we'll call Todd were going to play golf at the adjacent course with a guy who worked there we'll call Ken. I arrive early and decide to hit some balls on the range. The range is behind the clubhouse. I eventually hear some ambulance sirens while on the range and think nothing of it. Eventually Todd and Ken show up and we go and tee off. I'm in the cart with Todd and Ken is in his own cart.

Todd says 'man, what an a-hole Ken is.' I asked him what was going on. He then proceeds to tell me that that Ken showed up to the course and was at the bag drop. A customer showed up at the bag drop and had a heart attack on the spot. The head pro was also outside for a second when this happened and rushed to help the customer. The head pro asks Ken to go inside and get somebody to call 911. Ken replies 'no.'

Head pro gets somebody to call 911. Ambulance is about to arrive and the head pro asks Ken to go inside and get the customer some orange juice. Ken replies 'no, I'm not his f$#$# slave!'

The ambulance finally arrives. The Head Pro thinks Ken may have not understood the severity of the situation and may have thought the customer was not in serious condition...so he tells Ken 'y'know Ken you should apologize to that customer.' Ken's reply was 'what the f$#@ for, it's my day off!'

4. The time me and my friend Craig went to play a course in the morning across town. We finished and then we went to McD's afterward. As we get done eating we get back in Craig's truck. Craig pulls out of his parking space really quickly and side swipes the car next to him. He then asks me what he should do. I told him to wait until the owner comes out and exchange insurance information. Craig doesn't want to do it. I then tell him you need to at least go inside and find out who the owner is. He still doesn't want to do it, but finally does it. But, he goes inside McD's for all of 3 seconds and then comes back and says 'well, I asked if anybody owned a Ford and nobody did, so let's go.' I told him that he was being an idiot and he's going to be sorry if it ever comes back to him.

We then are driving back home and we are going to play golf at our home club. The entire trip back there he is begging me to not tell anybody, particularly our friend Jack who had a big blabber mouth. Finally we get back to the club and for all of the begging of me to not tell anybody, particularly our friend Jack....Craig tells Jack the entire story right when we get there. And immediately Jack starts telling anybody and everybody on the golf course which included a lot of people that worked with Craig's dad.

We then decide to go play golf and took a cart (that was rare). We get on the 4th hole and the greenskeeper, who didn't like Craig (or myself), has a big smile on his face and comes up to us and asks Craig if he had a good time playing golf today. He then proceeds to tell Craig that the police are looking for him.

So we head back into the clubhouse and there's the SWAT Team. My jaw hit the ground and I say 'whose car did you hit, the Pope's?' Come to find out a taxi driver saw Craig side swipe the car at McD's and called it in. Then the police mistakenly thought it was Craig's brother who had a long criminal record which included fighting with cops.

5. I belonged to 2 different courses when I was a teenager. The one club I just got done playing golf and was enjoying the A/C in the pro shop. Member comes into the pro shop after 9 and is about to go and play the back nine, but has a heart attack. Ambulance arrives and takes him out on a stretcher. He pops up his head from the stretcher and tells the assistant to 'make sure that I get a 9-hole credit on my account.' Those were his dying words.

6. My friends and I used to swap clubs all of the time and then by the end of the season we would give the clubs back to the rightful owner. It wasn't uncommon for one of us to see a new club in our friend's bag, take it out and hit some balls with it. A 'what's yours is mine' type of approach. One day, I arrive to the course and see my friend Jon who is on the putting green. I see his bag and I see new clubs in his bag. He never told me about getting new clubs. So I take out his new 6-iron and start hitting a couple of balls down the 1st fairway (we had a limited driving range, so we would often hit some of our own balls down the first fairway to try out some clubs if nobody was around).

All of the sudden I hear somebody say WHAT THE F$#! ARE YOU DOING?!?!?!?! and I turn around and it's the huge, bodybuilder looking guy who it beet red with anger. Apparently this guy had the same exact golf bag as Jon's and I was hitting his clubs without his permission!

I did the Ralph Kramden stutter and eventually explained to him that I thought it was my friend's clubs. I then showed him that he had the same exact bag as Jon's and he did let out a big laugh afterward realizing the ridiculous coincidence of the situation.

7. I have one story I can't repeat here. All I will say is that it still makes me laugh hysterically to this day and it involves a father and 2 teenage boys saying some nasty things about his daughter not knowing that her father was RIGHT THERE hearing the entire conversation. I mean...I'm still laughing about it as I type this thinking about the incident.

RH

• Like 1

> @RichieHunt said:

> Here's some memorable ones I can think off the top of my head:

>

> 1. There was a fitter in the Syracuse area (many would know him) and he had a big driving range. He was quite the character and he always insisted on people either playing shafts way too long for them or way too short for them. My friend got fitted by him a month prior, but didn't take his advice. So we go to hit balls at his range and my friend has a standard length driver. I went to go the bathroom and as I get back I see the fitter see my friend not hitting the driver he fitted for him. The fitter was about 40 yards away from my friend and marches right over to him and yells...Bill O'Reilly 'we'll do it live' style while pointing at my friend 'THAT"S THE WRONG CLUB FOR YOU! THAT'S THE WRONG F&!#ING CLUB FOR YOU! The visual was fantastic. Not to mention that the fitter had no real way of telling what my buddy was hitting given how far away he was. My buddy and I would use that quote all of the time for years afterward.

>

>

> 7. I have one story I can't repeat here. All I will say is that it still makes me laugh hysterically to this day and it involves a father and 2 teenage boys saying some nasty things about his daughter not knowing that her father was RIGHT THERE hearing the entire conversation. I mean...I'm still laughing about it as I type this thinking about the incident.

>

>

> RH

>

1. sounds like one of those guys you never want to get "fit" by but have to kind of bite the bullet as they are the only ones in a whole region. I'm sure you could nice up .7, don't keep us hanging!

Bettinardi Hive Custom

> @WristySwing said:

>

> 1. sounds like one of those guys you never want to get "fit" by but have to kind of bite the bullet as they are the only ones in a whole region. I'm sure you could nice up .7, don't keep us hanging!

>

>

He used to have a thing where he could get you a club or a set of irons for way cheaper than normal, but it would take 10-12 weeks to get the club(s).

He was a character, for sure. That was just the way he talked to people...but that was over-the-top, even for him.

RH

I used to belong to a high end private club. I was elected to the Board of Governors and served as our greens and grounds chairman for 12-years. I’ve heard many complaints but one of the strangest occurrence happened one Saturday morning. I showed up to the club to be greeted by our golf pro. He told me he received a phone call from one of the foursomes. Apparently, they witnessed a member on our second hole, pruning trees. Our pro asked me to hop into a golf cart with him, so we could investigate. Sure enough, this member (a jeweler by trade) had slipped pruning shears and a small axe into his golf bag. He’d already pruned the lowest branches on a couple of pine trees and he was beginning to cut into a very healthy maple tree that guarded the corner of the dogleg. We had to explain to him that we can’t have members making alterations to the golf course. I told him there was a liability issue involved because I realized common sense wasn’t going to work. He was beside himself with disappointment. Crazy!

Guy was teaching this new lawyer lady how to golf. Cuz apparently all lawyers around here golf. Told her that "they had to add a new net up about 300 yards over there, cuz with the new drivers this guy got hit in the head. He was putting and wham! Got hit in the head. Ambulance came and everything ! Had to have 150 stitches"

Hmmmm...