From a +2.4 to shooting 90s - Complete and total loss of my game this year

bogeypro

Last summer, I was playing the best golf of my life. I was a legit +2.4 handicap. Fast forward to this summer, I could barely shoot 85. I have no idea what happened, but it was a total collapse. I completely lost my game.

My swing was never pretty. I was blessed with good hands and rhythm. I could get the ball to do what I wanted, if I had feel and rhythm that day. I lost that and my game went down hard. I think I began to suffer from full swing yips. I began to be afraid to even make full swings because I literally had no idea where the ball was going. I was so frustrated playing that I literally quit. I didn’t want to play and I didn’t for over a month. I didn’t touch a club and I didn’t even think about golf. Then, I decided to rebuild.

I’m friends with some local pros. I decided to reach out to them and get help. I wanted to build a swing based on fundamentals and not timing. I’ve seriously started over like a beginner. New preshot routine, setup, grip, etc... I’ve been working really hard doing drills. Baby steps and attention to details. I understand that some things, like my vijay Singh stykevrught hand release, are just part of my golfing dna because I’ve been doing it that way for over 20 years.

It’s been an incredible journey. I broke last week for the first time probably 6 months, shot 75. I thought I’d cry. I’m not ready to show my before and after swings just yet...still working a few bad habits that still get me. I’m just encouraged to be able to tolerate playing again. I had seriously thought I was done for good.

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

Best of luck. I've had that little thought wayyy back in my brain that this could happen to me.

Team TaylorMade

Qi10 Black Out 9° Lin-Q White 6X

Apex UW 17° AD-UB 7X

Qi10 Tour Rescue 3 Steelfiber i80 S

Qi10 Tour Rescue 4 Steelfiber i95 S

P7MB 23 5i-9i Modus 105 S

MG3 46 / 50 / 54 / 60

Spider GT Notchback

Wow, what a story! Sounds painful to me... I'm glad you're moving back in a better direction. Golf is such an elusive thing, it just is. It can't just be controlled altogether yet we also do learn to play...

I never have been anywhere near as good as where you performed - 7 seems so far to be about my standing index. But one thing I have learned is a decent match between my feels, my motion and my beliefs about how my swing should work. From reading your post, it sounds like you had great feel but that the 'idea' of your swing wasn't there - that's the thing I rely on when my feel/rhythm/timing vanish. It would not surprise me if you returned to a high level of play after this process. Great hands and rhythm are great assets. My guess is it will take a little while because internalizing new feels and grasping how things fit together in a different pattern ... takes a while.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I feel for you OP. Stay tough. This story proves how much this game is between the ears. You didn’t have a physical injury. You’ve had several mental injuries that are blocking the path now. Smart in my opinion to start from scratch and make a new path around that scar tissue. I don’t know you. But If i were you I’d Chanel that anger. Every bad shot , get more determined. You know you can get back. You didn’t lose the ability. Just the confidence. That can be earned again.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Wow. +2.4 is seriously competent golf. So much so that I would consider a +2 shooting 13 over par a FAR more serious problem than a 10 cap shooting 25 over, especially if consistently this bad.

I think there are golfers out there that shoot better than their swing suggest simply because they just have it between the ears. You once knew how to consistently get the ball from tee to fairway to green and then in the hole. Seek some mental coaching first and foremost. Then at the same time a good coach that can help simplify the mechanics as much as possible.

You have an advantage that most of us don't in that you know you can do it because you have done it before.

Great to hear you're on your way back to good golf!

How strange to completely lose your game like that, hopefully a winter of hard work and you'll start putting some good scores together again

Driver - Taylormade SIM 10.5°

3 wood - Titleist 910f 15°

Hybrid- Titleist 910h°

Irons - Mizuno 919 Tour 4 - PW

Wedges - Titleist SM7 51 / 55 / 60 DG

Putter - Yes! Callie

Ball - Titleist Pro v1x

Not surprised to hear of this type of tale, never seen a 70's shooter with poor rhythm & tempo. Never seen an 80's with rock solid one. Played with perhaps a dozen guys who break 80 on a bad day. The one constant to them all is solid R&T and it's with every club. Why I personally fail to cement this lesson, I'll spare you my indulgence.

Been through that a bunch cause I'm prone to injury... Then you try and come back after a bunch of months off and the par golf I usually play aint there. One thing I can lean on is the fact that I completely built my swing so I just go back into rebuild mode all over again when it happens. I have some main swing ideas I really like now so can just rebuild off of them. Just be patient but 100% confident that you can be even better then before...

Can't figure how to like my own posts

I have been going through this over this season. 2-3 seasons ago, I was typically between even and maybe 4 over every time I teed it up hovering around scratch and sometimes plus. This season I’ve gone completely brain dead and rapidly approaching a 4. Shooting 75 takes everything I’ve got these days. Not sure what the deal is, but my plan is to take a few lessons, write this season off, and come back and get it next year.

Happened to me about 9 years ago. Took a while to diagnose, thankfully for you, instruction has improved dramatically. I basically got underneath/stuck after having a very rotational delivery for years. While it sucks that it destroyed my game, I’m better now than I ever was, have a much better understanding of the swing, etc.

• Like 1
Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

I think the only way to lose feel and rhythm is to become analytical and start thinking about swing and positions, basically taking the athleticism out of the swing. That, in my opinion, is disastrous if you want to play golf at a high level.

Sounds like you are on your way back, best of luck.

• Like 1

PING G430 max 9° Ventus black 6x 
PING  G430 max 15º Ventus blue 7x

PING  G430 19º Ventus blue HB 9x

PING i230 4-AW PX 6.0

Vokey SM7 56.10° DGS400

Vokey SM7 60.04° DGS400

PING Ketsch 

"I still wear full spikes so people know when I show up to the course, I am there to ball out."-Bigmean

I’m worried I played bad this year because I listened to all that advice you posted in the instruction forum last year.

Just kidding, I feel for you and have been there. It will take some work, just need to re-wire some pathways in the brain with positive mental strategies, and you also really need to engrain a shot you can absolutely rely on so you can be sure you’ll get around the course in a decent number. You’ve been there before, you can get back.

• Like 1

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

> @Red4282 said:

> Kinda skeptical, a +2.5 should have some serious short game... u forget how to chip and putt too?

Remember when Tiger forgot how to chip?

It happens, hell I made a thread on here years ago about totally losing it, + side to firing off 80’s-90’s and just straight up losing it all.

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

I'm afraid to even read this lol. Well but it sounds like you are on the way to be an even better golfer since better mechanics matched with your hand eye coordination gifts should mean greater things and lower scores!

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

> @Krt22 said:

> > @"Oz Max" said:

> > Smylie, is that you?

>

> Yeah for any skeptic how wayward things can go, we have Smylie. PGA tour winner (+7 or better) to struggling to break 80.

>

For that to be true, you either gotta have a complete mental breakdown, just dont care or there just wasnt a solid foundation with the golf game and the great golf was a flash in the pan.

> @fore_life said:

> > @Red4282 said:

> > Kinda skeptical, a +2.5 should have some serious short game... u forget how to chip and putt too?

>

>

> Remember when Tiger forgot how to chip?

>

> It happens, **** I made a thread on here years ago about totally losing it, + side to firing off 80’s-90’s and just straight up losing it all.

>

Tiger was a headcase and his golf game decline was completely mental, and caused by his outside golf craziness. I can see playing bad and shooting a round or two in the 80s but suddenly unable to break 90? I just dont understand. Are you now shanking it?

> @Red4282 said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > > @"Oz Max" said:

> > > Smylie, is that you?

> >

> > Yeah for any skeptic how wayward things can go, we have Smylie. PGA tour winner (+7 or better) to struggling to break 80.

> >

>

> For that to be true, you either gotta have a complete mental breakdown, just dont care or there just wasnt a solid foundation with the golf game and the great golf was a flash in the pan.

>

I’m sorry. But I have to break in here.

This game is sooooo layered with skill , circumstance and mental acuity. Sure. A complete mental breakdown might be an ok description.... but it’s not in the way I think you mean. It’s not an outwardly visible tantrum , or fit. It’s just a loss of focus to the point of no longer caring. Or not having the ability to care or regain enough focus to slow down and score again.

I myself enjoyed a tournament low of 65 two christmases ago in a small club event. Then followed that with a nice 92 in the opening round of the county AM the next spring. And i felt good going in. then Went 79 75 the next two days. And I’m currently pushing for a scoring average under par. I’m not a guy you’d watch hit balls and think could shoot 92 if a truck hit me before the round. But I’ve had it happen each year since then at least once in real comp. it’s an out of body experience , and if you haven’t experienced it. Count your blessings. I was told the same “ if you 3 putt that much you can’t have a solid stroke “. And “ you must be a vanity cap “ is my personal favorite.

At any rate all those nuggets of wisdom are bullshat. It can happen to anyone.

• Like 3

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @Red4282 said:

> Kinda skeptical, a +2.5 should have some serious short game... u forget how to chip and putt too?

Common Fallacy, chipping and putting can't save everything. When your misses get wider and wider, when all penalty areas on the course are suddenly 'in play', you're no longer scrambling to save par. You're marking your ball, reading the putt and making downhill 8-footers for double after a penalty stroke. Speaking on behalf of a Friend.

• Like 1

I can certainly see this.

Our club champ's swing makes no sense to me yet he's fairly consistent with it and made it to the PubLinks championship at Bandon Dunes a few years ago. Almost every shot he bounces the club into the ball even with driver. Wouldn't take much to turn him into a 15 cap if he got a bit out of sync.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

> @bladehunter said:

> > @Red4282 said:

> > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > @"Oz Max" said:

> > > > Smylie, is that you?

> > >

> > > Yeah for any skeptic how wayward things can go, we have Smylie. PGA tour winner (+7 or better) to struggling to break 80.

> > >

> >

> > For that to be true, you either gotta have a complete mental breakdown, just dont care or there just wasnt a solid foundation with the golf game and the great golf was a flash in the pan.

> >

>

>

> I’m sorry. But I have to break in here.

>

>

> This game is sooooo layered with skill , circumstance and mental acuity. Sure. A complete mental breakdown might be an ok description.... but it’s not in the way I think you mean. It’s not an outwardly visible tantrum , or fit. It’s just a loss of focus to the point of no longer caring. Or not having the ability to care or regain enough focus to slow down and score again.

>

> I myself enjoyed a tournament low of 65 two christmases ago in a small club event. Then followed that with a nice 92 in the opening round of the county AM the next spring. And i felt good going in. then Went 79 75 the next two days. And I’m currently pushing for a scoring average under par. I’m not a guy you’d watch hit balls and think could shoot 92 if a truck hit me before the round. But I’ve had it happen each year since then at least once in real comp. it’s an out of body experience , and if you haven’t experienced it. Count your blessings. I was told the same “ if you 3 putt that much you can’t have a solid stroke “. And “ you must be a vanity cap “ is my personal favorite.

> At any rate all those nuggets of wisdom are bullshat. It can happen to anyone.

>

Thats completely different from whats being described here. You had a bad day or two, but rebounded with respectable scores. Unable to BREAK 90 suddenly is what OP and myself are referring to.

• Like 1