We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.
***11/16/2019 Attention GolfWRX community. If you had to reset your forum password, please see info below. ***

GolfWRX was informed of a potential issue and in an effort to be proactive, passwords were reset for some users. Please use the forget password recovery link: https://forums.golfwrx.com/entry/passwordrequest

Please email [email protected] if further help is required. We're sorry for any inconvenience.

Ping Blueprint iron performance and more importantly: how small are they really....

justasgood ·  
justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker. 2917Members Posts: 2,917

So I was intrigued when Ping released the Blueprint irons. The promised technology in a compact blade from one of the premier club makers absolutely got me excited.

I have played blades from day 1 and my Macgregor Muirfield 20th’s, Hogan PC and Miura BB set the standard for compact size. The thought of a small compact blade with modern technology was exciting.

To be fair, I am and have always been a good ball striker. My handicap is that I very rarely play the same set of clubs week to week. My index has been as low as 2.7 and currently sits at around 4. So is forgiveness in an iron a big need for me......nope.

Looks and feel are my determining factors so that brings me to this post.

At first glance, the Blueprints look very nice. Compact head, narrow sole and the visible technology toe screw all scream hit me.

And I did. I hit them on the monitor and on the course. I played them alongside my Miura’s(16 irons in the bag) and against my 2014 TM Tour Preferred MB’s. The BB have Tour Issue X100, the TM have KBS 130X and the Blueprints have S300.

The lofts and lengths of the BB and BP are exactly the same playing off of a 37.75” 5 iron. The TM play 1/4” longer with same lofts.

Feel: surprisingly they all felt very similar. Solid powerful feeling (not buttery mizuno like at all). This was pleasing because to me, the Miura irons feel like a club should. Solid and powerful and all business. The BP had a very similar feel though I would say less dense feeling. The TM felt like the old Titleist blades. Not clicky but rather dull and lifeless.

Distance: my carry for 7 iron is 165 with cuts carrying 150 and a draw near 170. No discernible difference here as all shots withe the three clubs fell in my normal range.

Now to the important metric....looks: individually each iron has a very nice look and are aesthetically pleasing. Thin top lines and compact looking....but side by side the BP look like a GI iron. The BB by far is the smallest with the TM MB slightly larger. The BP was the biggest and when held together, they simply lost their appeal as a small blade. All 3 performed well and predictably but at the end of the day, The Pings didn’t scratch any itch. Nice irons, just not for me.

Reference pics for size comparison:

Posted:

Comments

• IvyguyIvyguy  1574Members Posts: 1,574

Nice write up.

I was surprised by the release of these. Nice sticks fo sho.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • KgglonghornKgglonghorn  99ClubWRX Posts: 99

sounds weird, but I am surprised at how big they are. I too have always played blades. I heard they were "compact" but I guess that is compared to GI irons. FWIW, I have tried them all and I finally relinquished my Miura's after hitting the Callaway MB18's. It was love at first strike.

Posted:
  • tetstets  118Members Posts: 118

My Blueprints arrived today. Look sweet ...hopefully the weather allows me to try then Sunday

Posted:
  • KgglonghornKgglonghorn  99ClubWRX Posts: 99

please post once you hit them. As much as I love my MB18's I too am very intrigued by the blueprints

Posted:
  • Mooseknuc76Mooseknuc76  3Members Posts: 3

I have question I'm a 12 hccp. Just wondering if I could game these? I grew up playing 990 dci's 2 big things for me are...looks and feel. I want to start being able to cut and draw to tucked pins instead of playing for the middle of the green most of the time. I'm a huge ping fan my irons are i25 and love them. I appreciate anyone's input thanks

Posted:
  • gibsonsg4gibsonsg4  154Members Posts: 154

Not sure if its just me but the blueprints felt absolutely horrible when i hit them, i want to like them since they look so cool

Definitely the worst feeling blade i’ve ever hit particularly on slightly thin shots, hard as a rock

Posted:

Advertisement
  • wely324wely324  101Members Posts: 101

@Mooseknuc76 said:
    I have question I'm a 12 hccp. Just wondering if I could game these? I grew up playing 990 dci's 2 big things for me are...looks and feel. I want to start being able to cut and draw to tucked pins instead of playing for the middle of the green most of the time. I'm a huge ping fan my irons are i25 and love them. I appreciate anyone's input thanks

Not sure what the strengths of your game are, but a 12 hdcp probably shouldn't be looking to play cut's and draws into tucked pins.

Aside from that, you could probably game these if you have the swing speed, a shallower entry angle into the ball, and can repeat solid strikes with them.

Posted:
  • balls_deepballs_deep Wanna earn 14 bucks the hard way? 1613Members Posts: 1,613

Compared to other > @Mooseknuc76 said:

To be honest, I just don’t see the point. The only gain you’ll have is them looking good in the bag. Even the best 12 HC ball striker in the world.. I just don’t see the point. Tons of Ping staffers using i210, iBlade, and s55. All of those clubs are very workable (I’ve played them all and shaped shots into greens easily. I’d go any of those options over the blueprint at a 12. If you want to play some of them, I’d go 8-PW BP and the rest iBlades if you’re really serious about it. But even then, the cost of them is astronomical. Pick up a cheap set of MP 68 or MP4 which are pretty compact and see if you’ve got the game for a blade first. Ping keeps clubs in the roster a long time. I’d experiment with a 200-300 set first before dropping the coin. FWIW I can hit a nice baby cut into a tucked pin with a Ping G - you don’t need a blade to shape the ball.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5° Project X Evenflow White 6.5x 62g
    Titleist 917F2 15.75°  Project X HZRDUS Handcrafted Black 6.0 75g
    Titleist 818 H1 19° Project X HZRDUS Handcrafted Black 6.0 85g
    Mizuno MP-20 MB 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
    Vokey SM7 50F 56M 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M 35"
    Pro V1x
    Currently - 5.6

• dlygrissedlygrisse Kansas 13687Members Posts: 13,687

I'd be wary, unless maybe you just game the short irons and fill out the set with a more forgiving iron. You really need to be hitting the sweetspot with these .

Posted:
    I pick 14 of the following:
    Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w 
    Ping G410 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS or Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU  8448Members Posts: 8,448

I love how the blueprints look. Great set of Irons.

Posted:
    Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 9*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Mizuno MP-18 MB Aldila RIP SLT Tour 115X Flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 52, 58, 64
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • DFS PFDDFS PFD  1219Members Posts: 1,219

Unless you strike them solid more often than not, you won't enjoy blades. Only reason I play blades is the consistency with my distance, never had any sort of surprises. If you buy them and find your inconsistent with carry numbers, you're not striking them well. The idea of trying cheaper set of Mizuno's first is a good idea.

Posted:
    G410 LST  HZRDUS Smoke Hulk 6.5TX 60g 
    Epic Flash SZ 15* Tensei PW 80TX
    2-PW Ping Blueprint DG X7
    55* MG Raw Tour issue S400
    60* Hi-Toe Tour Issue S400
    TOULON Garage San Diego

Advertisement
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 28654Members Posts: 28,654

Have to say it. Still the best iron I’ve hit outside my beloved and worn out 681 proto set.

And they aren’t hard from the middle. 😐

hard to say for anyone else. But I’d bet you could combo them around the 7-8 iron at least.

Posted:
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 

• SUPERGSUPERG  242Members Posts: 242

@Mooseknuc76 said:

You can shape I25 easy, grab I210 if you want fresh irons. Your game will thank you.

Posted:

Taylormade M5 - 10.5* - Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70 TX
    Taylormade Jetspeed (TI) - 16* - Aldila Tour Green 95 TX
    Mizuno MP18 MMC Fli Hi 19* - Fujikura Pro 115 TX
    Mizuno MP18 SC - 4-PW - KBS C Taper 130X
    Titleist Vokey SM7 - 50* 54* 60* - DG S400
    Odyssey EXO 7

• balls_deepballs_deep Wanna earn 14 bucks the hard way? 1613Members Posts: 1,613

I’ve used the analogy on here before but I’m not sure how many understand it. I’m a surfer. Tons of beg/int surfers want to hop on a potato chip shortboard. Can they get up on it? Yeah maybe, but they’re going to catch less waves and be erratic/kooky when they do. A shortboard is drastically more manoeuvrable than a mini mal or big fish, but you have to be good enough to take advantage of that sensitivity. Even a bad surfer can have great waves on a big board. High straight shots that hit the green are fun too. And you can still turn ;)

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5° Project X Evenflow White 6.5x 62g
    Titleist 917F2 15.75°  Project X HZRDUS Handcrafted Black 6.0 75g
    Titleist 818 H1 19° Project X HZRDUS Handcrafted Black 6.0 85g
    Mizuno MP-20 MB 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
    Vokey SM7 50F 56M 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M 35"
    Pro V1x
    Currently - 5.6

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.