First Timer - Affordable Clubs around Maplewood/Union/Ironbound, NJ
After years of wanting to join a club, the deck may finally be shaping up to pull the trigger Summer 2020. I'll be moving back to Jersey (somewhere in the Union/Maplewood/Ironbound area) and am looking for recommendations on affordable options (likely max out around $5k for the year all in, food minimums, etc.). Even better would like to do a season preview to see if the private club thing is for me before laying out an initiation fee. I'll be 31 so may qualify for some junior memberships but seem like different clubs vary their cutoff.
- Above all, good golf. Would plan to make good use of the practice range and short game area and ideally shoot out for a few holes on weekdays. Being able to go 36 on a weekend if I have the time is big.
- <30 minute drive (realize its a moving target without having my housing locked in)
- Younger membership demographic
- Non-tipping/ doesn't require a caddie - big fan of caddies but know this will add up
- Guest-friendly policy -- know some clubs restrict how many times the same guest can play in a month or year, but prefer to not be limited if I want to bring the same guys up a few times a season
Thanks in advance