Auto Detailing - Do You Do it?

vaca22

Each year I would take a day off in mid-May, and the day before after I got home from work I would start my detailing process...which went deep into the night and into the next morning (hence the day off), often totalling between 6-8 hours. I would do everything myself, including:

* washing

* claying

* washing

* polishing (either intensive or final)

* sealing/glazing

* waxing

Now, the last time I did this was many years ago, 9 to be exact. Since then, I'm sure there have been a TON of new products to hit the market. I have no idea where to start looking, so I'm hoping some of you can provide some insight as to your techniques and products that work well for you.

At the time I was using Menzerna polishes, Klasse All-In-One Polish and Sealant Glaze, and S100 wax.

Thanks!!

Things have definitely changed with new products and I still detail my own cars but my buddy that does it full time does it better of course. My outcome is still way better than the average person though. I order all my items through detailedimage.com

When I say new products there’s the ceramic coating now that I have on my RS7. My buddy did that and the car beads water like no other. I use ceramic touch up products to keep the surface hydrophobic. With regards to soap and polish and all those things, the products have improved also. Soap now has nano particles and wax has improved. I use this AngelWax that is ceramic that is great but doesn’t stay permanently like the ceramic coating. Brands that I use are CarPro, Gtechniq, and Gyeon.

• Like 1

I do my own and use only Zymol products. They have liquid clay and deep cleanse that are easy to apply and remove if the vehicle hasn't been done recently. The carbon wax is a breeze to put on and take buff off. It always leaves a mirror finish. I also use their leather cleaner and conditioner. It isn't what I would call terribly expensive, but, their products have never left me disappointed with the outcome. We have a 2014 Mercedes SL550 and the paint still looks like a new one. It sheds water so quickly it is gone before you can get a sponge on it when washing. I considered having the ceramic coating put on it, but, actually enjoy doing the detailing and tinkering.

I used to detail my car, at least once a year in the past, when I had no garage. A waste of time, if one hasn't got a garage. Keeping a car in a garage is the only way to keep a car looking good in the long term. I traded a 2002 Cadillac in 2017 on a new Cadillac. The 02 had 78K miles, never sat out, looked and drove like new, I got $1,500 on trade. Never sat out, never needed detailed, only washed regularly with a spritz of spray wax a couple times a year. Was it worth keeping it like new?

To the next owner, yes.

I'm well on my way to make someone happy with my future $1,500 2017 Cadillac. I only use a spray wax (Mothers's or Turtle wax, no cleaner) on the car, after washing.

To add to the detail discussion, any cleaner wax or polish takes paint off, so the less you do it, the better. Once a year is enough. I used to detail a friend's car, once a year, while he was on vacation. He never washed or waxed the car, never. A black Thunderbird, that paint would sparkle, after using towel after towel to remove the dead paint and grime. Literally, the towels would be black with grime. I'd drive the car for a couple days, after shampooing the carpet and interior, and finishing the job.

I'd have to laugh, when people complimented the car in parking lots. How the car was well taken care of and such, and it was well over 15 years old at the time.

I used a product called Astro Shield. Don't know if it's still made. Never used a clay bar, or anything like that.

I've noticed most people don't keep their cars in garages, anymore. Garages are now storage units for junk and such. Cars are just a utilitarian means to go from one place to another.

Sorry for the digression.

I know two people that have had the ceramic coating done on their cars. Price seems to vary based on whom does it. However, both are very happy with the result and claim it's easier to clean after it's applied. I only considered it as I have to drive on .4 of a mile of gravel every time we go out and come back home. I'm told told the dusty mess from the gravel road will rinse off without having to apply sponges. Currenetly, we wash the "good"cars every time we use them before going back in the garage. It's my OCD and I can't bring myself to put either of them away dirty.

I agree. The pricing can be different as well as the product type and how experienced the person is. If the person isn’t that good, the ceramic coating can leave a residue like what I’m going to call superglue or tree sap coating and then the only way to get it off is wet sanding. I would never do ceramic coating myself.

> @Wriggles said:

> I used to detail my car, at least once a year in the past, when I had no garage. A waste of time, if one hasn't got a garage. Keeping a car in a garage is the only way to keep a car looking good in the long term. I traded a 2002 Cadillac in 2017 on a new Cadillac. The 02 had 78K miles, never sat out, looked and drove like new, I got $1,500 on trade. Never sat out, never needed detailed, only washed regularly with a spritz of spray wax a couple times a year. Was it worth keeping it like new?

>

> To the next owner, yes.

>

> I'm well on my way to make someone happy with my future $1,500 2017 Cadillac. I only use a spray wax (Mothers's or Turtle wax, no cleaner) on the car, after washing.

>

> To add to the detail discussion, any cleaner wax or polish takes paint off, so the less you do it, the better. Once a year is enough. I used to detail a friend's car, once a year, while he was on vacation. He never washed or waxed the car, never. A black Thunderbird, that paint would sparkle, after using towel after towel to remove the dead paint and grime. Literally, the towels would be black with grime. I'd drive the car for a couple days, after shampooing the carpet and interior, and finishing the job.

>

> I'd have to laugh, when people complimented the car in parking lots. How the car was well taken care of and such, and it was well over 15 years old at the time.

>

> I used a product called Astro Shield. Don't know if it's still made. Never used a clay bar, or anything like that.

>

> I've noticed most people don't keep their cars in garages, anymore. Garages are now storage units for junk and such. Cars are just a utilitarian means to go from one place to another.

>

> Sorry for the digression.

Unless your vehicle has a single stage paint job, your taking off clear coat, if anything. The amount of correcting abilities a polish has is very little and the impact on clear coat depth is immeasurable. Waxes by definition have zero correcting abilities and actually leave behind product for that shiny look. Even using compounds properly has a near immeasurable impact on clear coat depth. Anyone who is detailing professionally and doing paint corrections should have a paint depth gauge.

As for applying wax once a year.... any decent wax such as the old trusty Collinite 476 provides some UV protection, looks great, and has at least some beading properties making the elements stick to your vehicle less therefore easier to wash in the future. Now Collinite 476 last way longer than other waxes but a standard decent wax lasts no more than 3 months. Even if you apply a sealant such as Chemical guys jet seal, it only last tops 12 months... whereas I found its more like 6 months.

@vaca22 said:

> Each year I would take a day off in mid-May, and the day before after I got home from work I would start my detailing process...which went deep into the night and into the next morning (hence the day off), often totalling between 6-8 hours. I would do everything myself, including:

>

> * washing

> * claying

> * washing

> * polishing (either intensive or final)

> * sealing/glazing

> * waxing

>

> Now, the last time I did this was many years ago, 9 to be exact. Since then, I'm sure there have been a TON of new products to hit the market. I have no idea where to start looking, so I'm hoping some of you can provide some insight as to your techniques and products that work well for you.

>

> At the time I was using Menzerna polishes, Klasse All-In-One Polish and Sealant Glaze, and S100 wax.

>

> Thanks!!

you definitely dont need to take a day off and it depends on the outcome you want. Optimum no rinse was and shine is still great stuff. Use as a waterless quick detailer, use as soap and use as clay lube. Usually before the harsh Ontario winter, I was my car well with a 2 bucket system (1 for rinse and 1 for soap) once its all washed I clay it with a light clay. Once that is done I search for scratches, swirls and hit those spots with compound (chemical guys V34,36, 38) wash again then polish with optimum polish. I then apply chemical guys jet seal.

After the winter I usually do the same process but I include a fallout remover (carpro ironx) prior to clay. If your vehicle is not bad you can cut the time down significantly. 2 bucket wash, clay if needed, then use an all in one like chemical guys all in 1 polish and sealant. You can wax after for more shine but the sealant should make it look great.

When I was in High School in the 70s I had a part time job at the Oldsmobile dealership making new cars ready. Back in those days it was common for a car to have overspray from the factory all over it and they were filthy inside and out coming off the delivery trucks. Sometimes it would take several days to get it ready for the customer. I became an expert in using rubbing compound and had a strong right arm! Whew! I ache just thinking about it.

My learning experience and appreciation for a perfectly clean and shiny car has stayed with me my whole life.

I run my cars through the full service automated car wash at least every 10 days or so. Do a full vacuum and protestant to the interior plastic parts and leather protection on the seats. Armorall on the exterior trim and the tires.

Once a year, I completely detail under the hood. I cant stand a dirty dusty, oily engine compartment.

Every Spring and Every fall I do a full interior/ exterior full detail.

I probably go a little overboard with it, but thats just the way I am.

• 3 weeks later...

I went down the detailing rabbit hole for many years obsessing about every imperfection on my paint. To say I was OCD was an understatement. It can be an expensive hobby chasing perfection and subtle incremental improvements. Recently I’ve taken a step back and while I still wash and detail my cars, I try to keep it simple and not worry about everything being perfect. These days I prefer Meguiars products.

Well, I've had quite a bit of time to do some research since my first post. Honestly it's amazing how much stuff is out there on YouTube, because when I first got into this YouTube didn't even exist. I had a mobile detailer come over and I actually watched him the entire time to see how I should be doing things the right way.

So the process has become more complicated than it used to be, with the advent of foam cannons and pressure washers, IPA wipedowns and new coatings/sealants. I'll take a stab at it in the spring (I just don't have access to the right materials or space now) and go to town on correcting the paint, probably testing a few different polish and pad combinations to see what works best for my situation. Originally I was going to go with using Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax as it seems pretty foolproof and easy to use, but I feel comfortable enough in applying a ceramic coating. I'll be using CQuartz UK 3.0 for that.

Can these coatings be used on wheels? I want to say yes. If so, I'd like to do that.

Fun!