2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Pacing off yardage is not accurate.

aliikane

Not sure how pacing off yardage to calculate distance came to be industry standard. Pacing off yardage is not accurate. The average male (5'9") step length is 28.5". Well short of yard (36 inches). So if you pace off 20 yards, you are off by 4.16 yards and would equal 15.83 yards. That is a big difference. Even if you are 6'5" your step length is only roughly 31.8".

All of the professional tours and all of golf should allow laser rangefinders.

For reference, 1760 yards equals one mile. This chart shows how off you will be.

qar8h8lx9pcc.jpg

It’s not hard to get your paces to equal close enough to a yard to be accurate enough to hit the green. I did it for years before I ever had laser or gps. I’ve never seen someone pace off yardage with

Their natural gait. You can tell they are overstepping to make it as close to a yard as they can get it, and tour caddies have got it down to a science. Non-issue if there is a non-issue

• Like 1

Do you think we were so stupid before range finders that we never thought about measuring 10 paces against a measured 10 yards so we knew our stride length and our own adjustment? We could (and still can) measure with our eyes from a sprinkler head or yardage marker. I know what 10 yards on the ground looks like.

Hell, I have calibrated eyeballs from 175 yards in. I'm probably as accurate as GPS since GPS is to the front, middle, or back and that depends on the shape of the green, and GPS is +/- 3 yards!

I agree that it's a non-issue.

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

Thread is silliness, but even range finders aren't infallible. I recall a visit to California with my daughter years ago, we were out playing with my dad and she was having issues, she thought, with distance control for many holes - finally she hollered over to me to check the yardage so she could compare with her rangefinder - she was definitely off - I asked her if her range finder was set to meters - yep, lol!

Normal strides and a stride to pace off a yardage aren’t the same stride. It’s not like we’re stepping off 50 yards at a time here, usually 8 or less from a marker. That’s if I even bother. If I’m behind the 150 mark about the same distance as the pin is up from the middle then it’s 150. 152, 147... same thing really. Anyone over about a 3 handicap doesn’t hit it consistently enough to affect anything in a 5 yard range. Too many other factors affect 5 yards on a 150 yard shot than some sort of swing/set up adjustment you think you make to add or take off a few yards. The lie, temperature, humidity, type of ball you play, moisture in the grass, dirt in your grooves, speed of the green, firmness, topography and a thousand other things not including contact affect carry and roll distance way before any perceived swing adjustment will. So you might as well just eyeball it, anyone that’s played more than a year or two should be able to get within 2 or 3 yards with a sprinkler head and his eyes anyway.

> @aliikane said:

> Not sure how pacing off yardage to calculate distance came to be industry standard. Pacing off yardage is not accurate. The average male (5'9") step length is 28.5". Well short of yard (36 inches). So if you pace off 20 yards, you are off by 4.16 yards and would equal 15.83 yards. That is a big difference. Even if you are 6'5" your step length is only roughly 31.8".

>

> All of the professional tours and all of golf should allow laser rangefinders.

>

> For reference, 1760 yards equals one mile. This chart shows how off you will be.

>

Your argument is weak. It came to be a standard on account they didn't have range finders in the old days. Also, pacing off yardage is, what we all know to be, "relatively" accurate which coincides with the average golfer's relative ability to hit yardages with each club. The other reality is average Joe hopes to hit the green anywhere, so a 5-yard variance won't make a difference. When pacing off yardage between makers, seasoned golfers know to adjust their pace to approximate 3', least that's what I did for all the years before buying a Laser.

Additionally, I am 5'10, my measured stride length is 2.17, my average pace for a mile is 2.1-2.5mph, and fast is 3.2mph. I do not believe 28.5" is average step length, though 5.9 is average height. Like a lot of calculations on the internet, they generalize leaving out influential factors such as age and the length of each person's legs which influence his/her stride length which influence pace and the yardage each pace covers. My buddy is the same height as I am but he's all legs so his stride is longer than mine, consequently, his stride covers more ground than mine. The other influence you've overlooked is walking on uneven and soft turf affects the length of stride of most people reason for purposely adjusting the pace to 3' when pacing yardage. Have a good day, off to the gym.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

If all these folks are pacing yardages off,then we finally have un-covered the SLOW PLAY Gremlin !The old days were a sprinkler head , or a tree, or a bush, or later they installed 200/150/100 yardage marker. In all my years playing i have never seen anyone walk off yardage before their shot.

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Sorry, but i highly doubt any of you do conversions of your pace length to yardage on the golf course. ?

I've been playing golf for 43 years since I was 5, played competitive junior golf. I have not once encountered a single person on the golf course who has discussed or who has done conversions of their pace to yards. And that is in regular play to competitive golf tournaments. Junior to higher levels, a few pros I've played with, and my nephew who is playing Division 1A. Everyone just uses one pace as a one yard.

> @Yrrdead said:

> Or you could .....measure your own pace and do some basic math, which is what I do and I assumed everyone else does. Of course these days that is only on the green, but the same concept applies.

Play would be even slower. ? Like I said earlier, I have never encountered a person who has done their pace conversion to yardage at all levels. Not saying there hasn't been anyone that hasn't converted their pace to yardage, but the overwhelming majority has not. Not an easy calculation on the golf course.

For those of you with GPS watches (like me), go stand on a couple of the calibrated sprinkler heads at your course and watch the number change from day to day. Stated GPS accuracy is 4 yards. But, if it's 4 yards in one direction one day and 4 yards in the other direction another day, that's 8 yards, which in golf is a lot. Personally, experience has taught me to rely on GPS less and less and on a rangefinder more and more.

> @aliikane said:

> Sorry, but i highly doubt any of you do conversions of your pace length to yardage on the golf course. ?

>

> I've been playing golf for 43 years since I was 5, played competitive junior golf. I have not once encountered a single person on the golf course who has discussed or who has done conversions of their pace to yards. And that is in regular play to competitive golf tournaments. Junior to higher levels, a few pros I've played with, and my nephew who is playing Division 1A. Everyone just uses one pace as a one yard.

When I used to pace yardages off, I learned how to take 1 yards steps, not just regular walking. Essentially the largest stride I could take.

> @billh17 said:

> If all these folks are pacing yardages off,then we finally have un-covered the SLOW PLAY Gremlin !The old days were a sprinkler head , or a tree, or a bush, or later they installed 200/150/100 yardage marker. In all my years playing i have never seen anyone walk off yardage before their shot.

I can decide on my yardage and club before any pretender with a laser or gps. The “163.5 to the hole, 177 to the back, 155 to carry the front left bunker, 141 to carry the water and 217 to the beverage cart” crowd obsesses over their devices, even though most have zero idea how far any of their clubs carry or can even hit the ball on a consistent trajectory to begin with.

I know some folks do this, but the vast majority of the benefits a laser can provide would come on the practice tee. If Joe Schmo knew how far he really hit all of his clubs he wouldn’t actually need it on the course. When he lasers 144 on the course and hits a 9 iron that only flies 125 he might as well be using a matchbox car to figure out his distance.

• Like 1

> @Soloman1 said:

> We could (and still can) measure with our eyes from a sprinkler head or yardage marker. I know what 10 yards on the ground looks like.

>

> ****, I have calibrated eyeballs from 175 yards in. I'm probably as accurate as GPS since GPS is to the front, middle, or back and that depends on the shape of the green, and GPS is +/- 3 yards!

>

Yes sir, I concur. Anyone who's played football should be able to eye the land and see the first and ten markers all the way down the fairway.

I love throwing out me eye scoped number before someone lasers their distance, and I'm never more than 5 yards (give or take) off their number. The 150 marker is my best buddy out there, it's all I need to get my distances.

> @aliikane said:

> Sorry, but i highly doubt any of you do conversions of your pace length to yardage on the golf course. ?

>

> I've been playing golf for 43 years since I was 5, played competitive junior golf. I have not once encountered a single person on the golf course who has discussed or who has done conversions of their pace to yards. And that is in regular play to competitive golf tournaments. Junior to higher levels, a few pros I've played with, and my nephew who is playing Division 1A. Everyone just uses one pace as a one yard.

So people are lying to you in this thread ? LOL

And if you haven't discussed it with them how do you know they didn't do it ? LOL

Anyway, I guess I'll "lie" to you too. Before laser rangefinders I measured my pace at 2.5 feet (30 inches). 5/6th of a yard. 83% of a yard.

So what I actually did was take the number of paces and multiply by .8. At 30 paces I'd have myself at 24 yards. That's an error of < 1 yard (83 x 30 = 24.9).

I don't expect I did too many measurements of more than about 30 paces from any marked spot (150 yard marker, marked sprinkler head, etc.) so that error in distance is negligible.

Now assuming your findings are correct, I should be at 28.5 inches. So my error would likely be 1.5 inches per pace.

At 30 paces that's a "miscalculation of about 45 inches, a little bit more than 1 yard. Given that I'm an amateur, an error of a yard or so at 30 paces doesn't concern me very much.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

As a poster said earlier, courses now seldom have yardage markers on sprinkler heads, many no longer have yardage plates down the middle or posts along fairway edge. They are no longer required thanks to personal GPS units and cart GPS.

Somone in each tee group usually has GPS, thus even lazy or too cheap people that don't, ask playing partners rather than pace off yardage. Nevertheless, I don't recall the last time I saw anyone pacing off yardage, so it can no longer be a factor in the pace of play discussion.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I have a pretty long stride and I find that for me, pacing off yardages is quite accurate actually. I regularly count my steps between yardage markers as I walk and sometimes I'm right on the money but usually no more than 2-3 yards out per 50. That's good enough for me.

This sounds like short-person grumpiness to me. I wonder how far off I am on that estimate?

• Like 1

I have not paced yards for golf since I was a kid of college age back in the late 80's. I laid off from golf for 20 years and shot 3-D archery tournaments for a lot of those years. Yardages were unknown so you had to judge the yardage. I counted in 10 yard increments starting at the target working my way towards me. While walking to the target after the shot we would usually step the yardages to double check. For me to make a yard, I had to take a long stride and walk at a quicker pace than a walk. I would check my stride from time to time while practicing at my marked yardage stationary target at home. It can be done pretty accurately.

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

> @nsxguy said:

> > @aliikane said:

> > Sorry, but i highly doubt any of you do conversions of your pace length to yardage on the golf course. ?

> >

> > I've been playing golf for 43 years since I was 5, played competitive junior golf. I have not once encountered a single person on the golf course who has discussed or who has done conversions of their pace to yards. And that is in regular play to competitive golf tournaments. Junior to higher levels, a few pros I've played with, and my nephew who is playing Division 1A. Everyone just uses one pace as a one yard.

>

> So people are lying to you in this thread ? LOL

>

> And if you haven't discussed it with them how do you know they didn't do it ? LOL

>

> Anyway, I guess I'll "lie" to you too. Before laser rangefinders I measured my pace at 2.5 feet (30 inches). 5/6th of a yard. 83% of a yard.

>

> So what I actually did was take the number of paces and multiply by .8. At 30 paces I'd have myself at 24 yards. That's an error of < 1 yard (83 x 30 = 24.9).

>

> I don't expect did too many measurements of more than about 30 paces from any marked spot (150 yard marker, marked sprinkler head, etc.) so that error in distance is negligible.

>

> Now assuming your findings are correct, I should be at 28.5 inches. So my error would likely be 1.5 inches per pace.

>

> At 30 paces that's a "miscalculation of about 45 inches, a little bit more than 1 yard. Given that I'm an amateur, an error of a yard or so at 30 paces doesn't concern me very much.

So, you are seriously going through all those calculations in your head on the golf course for every approach shot? So what happens if you don't have a multiple of 10 (which is easy to calculate) and have odd yardage of like 14 or 18 or 7? You are multiplying .83 times those yardages? You must be Rain Man if you are doing those calculations in your head without a calculator or taking a lot of time using paper to do those calculations.

GPS units very convenient and easy to use, but are not the most accurate. Laser rangefinders are much more accurate.

So many golf instructors instruct to pace off yardage where one pace equals one yard and even the USGA says to pace off yardage without talking about doing conversions for step distance to yards.

Even watching the pros on TV calculate yardage for shots, I have never seen one pro talk about doing conversions of step to yardage. It looks like they are still just using one pace equals one yard.

> @aliikane said:

> So many golf instructors instruct to pace off yardage where one pace equals one yard and even the USGA says to pace off yardage without talking about doing conversions for step distance to yards.

>

> Even watching the pros on TV calculate yardage for shots, I have never seen one pro talk about doing conversions of step to yardage. It looks like they are still just using one pace equals one yard.

>

>

Are you serious or just trolling? You don’t think an professional caddie knows how to pace off yardage? It’s their profession, they practice it. They have yardages to all kinds of things. It’s not hard to learn. Just go to a football field and practice taking 10 steps between the lines. Silly thread.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

> @aliikane said:

>

LOL, OP is doubling down on this! You go guy!

> @dlygrisse said:

> > @aliikane said:

> > So many golf instructors instruct to pace off yardage where one pace equals one yard and even the USGA says to pace off yardage without talking about doing conversions for step distance to yards.

> >

> > Even watching the pros on TV calculate yardage for shots, I have never seen one pro talk about doing conversions of step to yardage. It looks like they are still just using one pace equals one yard.

> >

> >

>

> Are you serious or just trolling? You don’t think an professional caddie knows how to pace off yardage? It’s their profession, they practice it. They have yardages to all kinds of things. It’s not hard to learn. Just go to a football field and practice taking 10 steps between the lines. Silly thread.

HaHa - I've never had a golf instructor teach "pace off yardage", but you never know, I guess. OP doesn't understand pros don't talk about it because, well there's only one rule about yardage club . . . .

My new jar of Gray Poupon doesn't say "twist off" - I don't know what to do.

> @aliikane said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > > @aliikane said:

> > > Sorry, but i highly doubt any of you do conversions of your pace length to yardage on the golf course. ?

> > >

> > > I've been playing golf for 43 years since I was 5, played competitive junior golf. I have not once encountered a single person on the golf course who has discussed or who has done conversions of their pace to yards. And that is in regular play to competitive golf tournaments. Junior to higher levels, a few pros I've played with, and my nephew who is playing Division 1A. Everyone just uses one pace as a one yard.

> >

> > So people are lying to you in this thread ? LOL

> >

> > And if you haven't discussed it with them how do you know they didn't do it ? LOL

> >

> > Anyway, I guess I'll "lie" to you too. Before laser rangefinders I measured my pace at 2.5 feet (30 inches). 5/6th of a yard. 83% of a yard.

> >

> > So what I actually did was take the number of paces and multiply by .8. At 30 paces I'd have myself at 24 yards. That's an error of < 1 yard (83 x 30 = 24.9).

> >

> > I don't expect did too many measurements of more than about 30 paces from any marked spot (150 yard marker, marked sprinkler head, etc.) so that error in distance is negligible.

> >

> > Now assuming your findings are correct, I should be at 28.5 inches. So my error would likely be 1.5 inches per pace.

> >

> > At 30 paces that's a "miscalculation of about 45 inches, a little bit more than 1 yard. Given that I'm an amateur, an error of a yard or so at 30 paces doesn't concern me very much.

>

>

>

> So, you are seriously going through all those calculations in your head on the golf course for every approach shot? So what happens if you don't have a multiple of 10 (which is easy to calculate) and have odd yardage of like 14 or 18 or 7? You are multiplying .83 times those yardages? You must be Rain Man if you are doing those calculations in your head without a calculator or taking a lot of time using paper to do those calculations.

>

> GPS units very convenient and easy to use, but are not the most accurate. Laser rangefinders are much more accurate.

No, as I said earlier I multiply by .8 (80%). It's close enough for me.

And actually "all" those calculations were done at my leisure; that is, coming up with the 83% and finding that rounding to a much easier 80%,,,,,,,, and realizing that the "error" wasn't really significant.

Hardly Rain Man. Calculator ? LMAO This is what ? 3rd grade arithmetic ? Not quite the "4 times" table but not far from it.

Do you really find it that difficult to multiply 14 or 18 by 8 ? Let's see. 14 x 8 = 11.2, 18 x 8 = 14.4 <---- Each one took about 3-4 seconds. How abou 37 ? That should be harder. Nope, not really. 29.6,,,,,,,,,, also about 3-4 seconds.

Anyway, sorry you need a calculator or pen and paper to multiply by 8. Oh well. ¯\\_(ツ)_/¯

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @dlygrisse said:

> > > @aliikane said:

> > > So many golf instructors instruct to pace off yardage where one pace equals one yard and even the USGA says to pace off yardage without talking about doing conversions for step distance to yards.

> > >

> > > Even watching the pros on TV calculate yardage for shots, I have never seen one pro talk about doing conversions of step to yardage. It looks like they are still just using one pace equals one yard.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Are you serious or just trolling? You don’t think an professional caddie knows how to pace off yardage? It’s their profession, they practice it. They have yardages to all kinds of things. It’s not hard to learn. Just go to a football field and practice taking 10 steps between the lines. Silly thread.

>

> HaHa - I've never had a golf instructor teach "pace off yardage", but you never know, I guess. OP doesn't understand pros don't talk about it because, well there's only one rule about yardage club . . . .

>

> My new jar of Gray Poupon doesn't say "twist off" - I don't know what to do.

Look on youtube. There are many videos of pro golf instructors just instructing on pacing off yardage and never mention conversions. They just assume one step as one yard. Even a guy 6'5" would be likely be short on his yardage unless taking a bigger step than normal.

Trolling? I think y'all are trolling. Haha. It is a legitimate issue. Perhaps a few yards off doesn't matter with your folks golf games. In that case, fair enough.

Since y'all have been doing it for years and such common knowledge, please show me a legitimate pro golfer or pro golf instructor that has an article or video on conversion of steps to yardage. I am waiting.... :)

> @aliikane said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > @dlygrisse said:

> > > > @aliikane said:

> > > > So many golf instructors instruct to pace off yardage where one pace equals one yard and even the USGA says to pace off yardage without talking about doing conversions for step distance to yards.

> > > >

> > > > Even watching the pros on TV calculate yardage for shots, I have never seen one pro talk about doing conversions of step to yardage. It looks like they are still just using one pace equals one yard.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Are you serious or just trolling? You don’t think an professional caddie knows how to pace off yardage? It’s their profession, they practice it. They have yardages to all kinds of things. It’s not hard to learn. Just go to a football field and practice taking 10 steps between the lines. Silly thread.

> >

> > HaHa - I've never had a golf instructor teach "pace off yardage", but you never know, I guess. OP doesn't understand pros don't talk about it because, well there's only one rule about yardage club . . . .

> >

> > My new jar of Gray Poupon doesn't say "twist off" - I don't know what to do.

>

>

>

> Look on youtube. There are many videos of pro golf instructors just instructing on pacing off yardage and never mention conversions. They just assume one step as one yard. Even a guy 6'5" would be likely be short on his yardage unless taking a bigger step than normal.

>

> Trolling? I think y'all are trolling. Haha. It is a legitimate issue. Perhaps a few yards off doesn't matter with your folks golf games. In that case, fair enough.

>

>

> Since y'all have been doing it for years and such common knowledge, please show me a legitimate pro golfer or pro golf instructor that has an article or video on conversion of steps to yardage. I am waiting.... :)

Every year myself and many other golfers go out and try to qualify for the US Open. No rangefinders are allowed so you need to be able to pace off yardages. I **promise** it takes 2 holes to accurately learn how far you need to step to equal a yard per step. When I play my practice round I will walk off my yardage and then shoot it with the rangefinder to confirm. 99.99% of the time my number is perfect or 1 maybe 2 yards off.

Trust me, you arent the first person to realize the average person's step doesnt equal a perfect yard.