Glide 3.0 vs CBX 2

Arlin964

I haven’t seen much recent commentary on the CBX 2, and I can’t seem to find anyone comparing it with the Ping Glide 3.0 wedges. I used an original CBX last year and came to really enjoy it, so I’m interested in both these models since they seem to be intended for similar audiences. Has anyone done any comparisons?

TSR2 8.0 / Tour AD CQ 6S

TSR2 16.5 / Ventus TR Red 7X

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

U505 22 / HZRDUS RDX 6.0 80Hy

Artisan HC 6-P / KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Artisan 49, 54, 59 / KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Revolving Putter

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't tried the cbx 2.......... but I had the first gen cbx. Very easy to hit. Only reason I got rid of them is because I wasn't able to knock them down that easily. They always wanted to shoot sky high. It could have been the stock shafts I don't know. But I ended up giving them to my dad who is a high handicapper since they're so forgiving.

I now have a 50* glide 3.0 and I really enjoy it. Hit full shots and was impressed how well i hit it my first time out on the course. 3/4 shots no problem either. The greens were really soft that day and I'm curious to see how they behave on firm greens. They're more forgiving than my MD4's.

Good info @FmaxTurboSi. What shaft are you using in the 3.0? Also curious which grind you went with.

Being in the DFW area with Bermudagrass courses, I’m leaning toward the Eye2 grind in a 58 and either SS or WS in a 52. Thinking SS for versatility, but I’m a golfer who normally benefits from more bounce due to a steep downswing.

TSR2 8.0 / Tour AD CQ 6S

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

Revolving Putter

> @Arlin964 said:

> Good info @FmaxTurboSi. What shaft are you using in the 3.0? Also curious which grind you went with.

>

> Being in the DFW area with Bermudagrass courses, I’m leaning toward the Eye2 grind in a 58 and either SS or WS in a 52. Thinking SS for versatility, but I’m a golfer who normally benefits from more bounce due to a steep downswing.

yeah I'm leaning toward the eye2 for lob wedge also. Went with the SS grind 50* for versatility since I use it for pretty much everything from full shots to greenside chips.

Did you go with the stock ZZ115 shaft? It looks good as I like a mid low launch. But I tend to do better with middle weight shafts since it smooths out my sometimes wild swing path. I have a hard time feeling the head with low weight shafts.

TSR2 8.0 / Tour AD CQ 6S

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

Revolving Putter

• 3 months later...

Both are great wedges, with a good amount of forgiveness, especially on full shots. But if you like to play any high spin shots, then the Glide 3.0 definitely win this one. And if you play on wet grass often, the Ping Glide definitely wins there too.

If you mainly play chips and pitches to roll out, and play soft sand bunkers the CBX 2 is a great wedge.

I've owned them both. I played the PING Glide 2.0's for awhile and loved them. I jumped all over the the Glide 3.0 when it was released. I started with the Eye 2. I had played high toed Ping clubs in the past and thought I would love them. But I just didn't get the performance with them that I got from the Glide 2. I used the PGASS playability trade and got an SS. It was better than the Eye 2 version, but I still preferred by Gliide 2 stealth over it. I ended up selling it and going back to the Glide 2 for the rest of the fall.

I got the CBX 2 about a month ago and so far like it more than both Glides. I keep things fairly simple with my short game and the CBX has been great so far. I've only had a couple of rounds. It's been a fairly wet January with a lot of tight wet dormant Bermuda and sloppy lies. I do appreciate the CBX's ability to easily hit solid chips from any lie. I also like the CBX 2 more full shots/partial wedges. The Glide 3 was worse than the Glide 2 in that regard.

All of them are good wedges though. You really can't go wrong with either. If you are already a CBX player, I'm not sure the 2 offers enough for an upgrade. They feel a bit softer than the original, but play very similar.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

i only wish the stock shaft in CBX2 came with options or included the s400 instead of the lightweight shaft it does now. If i wanted to go with the CBX2, i'd also have to spend even more money buying all new shafts as i don't want lighter shafts in my wedges than irons.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

I tested both side by side for my Gap Wedge - you might be more interested in the SW/LW but here's my thoughts:

The Glide 3.0 is a great middle ground between your traditional blade wedge and the GI CBX2 head. It produced a tighter cluster and launch/spin numbers.

However, the ball speed consistency for the CBX 2 was just too great for me to turn down at my skill level. I had moved away from my original CBXs because they just felt too clunky for me and the feedback was really poor. They made major improvements in the CBX 2 in my opinion. The spin is VERY high. I was spinning the 48* at around 10,000 rpm for a 105 yd shot. I'm really not used to getting balls to bite and spin back from that distance, but my average rollout was -1 yard. I was extremely impressed - and this is with the KBS S-Taper, which is not a high spin shaft by any means.

That being said, if you are an above average ball striker, then the Glide 3.0 will give you all the forgiveness that you need. I have the Glide 3.0 in my SW and LW, and they're my favorite wedges of all time. The hydropearl technology is eye-opening. Go out to course in the morning dew and hit some shots with the Glide 3.0 versus Vokeys, previous Ping wedges, or any other wedge really, and the spin/launch angle retention is incredible. Also, they've found a great sweet spot in the feel category with the small insert they put in the back of the head. You still get great feedback while every shot feels as good as a perfectly struck shot with a blade wedge.

I'd go Glide for your LW and SW (unless you only use your SW for fuller shots). Then, CBX for your GW, and maybe even PW if you'd like to bump your spin rate up.

Hope that helps!

Driver: nope

2W: TaylorMade Mini 300 (13.5*) - Ventus Blue 7x 

5W: Cobra SpeedZone (18*) - Ventus Blue 8x

4H: PING G410 (22*) - Tour AD-95x

5i-PW: Srixon zX5/7 - Project X LZ 6.5

GW: PING Glide 3.0 - Project X Rifle 6.5

SW: Vokey TVD-K Grind - Project X Rifle 6.5

LW: TaylorMade Hi-Toe Raw LB - Project X Rifle 6.5

P: Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 (Crescent Neck)

Lots of good comments from everyone, thanks!

Ive pretty much decided I’m going to test the Glide 3.0s first and try to figure out which shaft is best. I’ll give the stock ZZ115 a shot and see what happens.

TSR2 8.0 / Tour AD CQ 6S

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

Revolving Putter

No reason you can't have both. I do.

Played both for the last half of last summer. I chose the Glide 3.0 for my 60* specifically for the finish and the wide sole option. It my main bunker club and I wanted that hydro-pearl finish to ensure I got the best grip on the ball in damp to wet conditions.

Kept the stock shaft in the Glide while I have C-Tapers in my 2 CBX 2s.

Both are great. Great feel and performance. In any lie. Both have enough spin and bite to stop dead or green, or even spin back about a foot.

In my opinion, the CBX 2 as I have them feel and sound a little better (less dead sounding) than the Glide 3.0. Look at the face of the club at address is also one of my fav things about the CBX 2s.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

Hi there,

nice discussion.

I play cbx in 50* and 54*, PM in 60*. Irons are the Apex pro.

While i never would change my PM (a new PM perhaps), i`m thinking about to replace the CBX`s.

I`m using the 50* and 54* for full shots and partial shots, no open face, less chipping, and for a bit longer greenside bunker shots.

So for me, the CBX is versatile enough, never had issues. My MD4`s weren`t better in this category.

My Apex Pro PW is carry 143 yards, my CBX 50* 120 yards... (130m vs 110m)

How do you guys compare these wedges in a gap filling perspective?

CBX vs CBX 2? CBX vs Glide 3.0? CBX2 vs Glide 3.0?

Recently got a CBX2 56 with a DGTi s400. I play X100 in DG120.

Took it on a quick trip to FL. Only hit it out of the sand and waste bunkers a handful of times. Was great and more fore giving then my HiToe 58. Im not a great sand player FYI.

will likely be my rough/sand club around 100 and in. Still like less bounce for stuff around the green.

In what ways specifically has the CBX2 been more versatile for you? And for which loft(s)? I will have space for two wedges after my 48degree T200 wedge, so configuration is part of my decision to make.

TSR2 8.0 / Tour AD CQ 6S

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

Revolving Putter

Better feel and sound. In my opinion, better looks as well. The face is more aggressive as well and may provide a good amount of more spin. It does for me.

It was worth the upgrade for me.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

Pretty good video TXG just made for the CBX2

• Like 1

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

Ok so here’s what I’m going with after some more mulling around.

Im almost positive I’ll get the 60degree Eye2 for the delicate touch shots around the green, as well as any pitches 85 yards or less. Not purchasing yet.

Today I purchased from TGW both a 54degree Glide 3.0 SS grind and the CBX2 54 degree. I’ll test them on the course to find out which I like best. Then, whichever one I return I’ll get the Playability guarantee from TGW, and use that credit toward my 60 degree Eye2.

Little background - my next club up is a 48degree T200 set gap wedge. It goes exactly 125yards for me and I have no problem choking down to get it in the 110-115 yard range. Therefore the 6 degree gap to the 54 SW is tolerable since it should get me to 105 plus or minus 5 yards. The 54 will be mostly for square face shots (mostly 3/4 and full swings) and longer or fluffy sand shots. With the occasional bump and run. Thus the extra bounce is functional here for these situations. Then I like the versatility of the low bounce Eye2 60 for tighter lies. Many of you may not care, but this post is partially so I get my own thoughts unjumbled!

TSR2 8.0 / Tour AD CQ 6S

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

Revolving Putter

• 3 weeks later...

How has the testing going so far with the two wedges. I previously played the Glide 3.0 in 54/58 and just picked up the CBX2 in 54/12 and the Full Face 58/10. Promising so far from the range session I just had. Love the look of the Full Face compared to the similar Hi-Toe

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

I have not yet received my CBX. The Glide 54 I really enjoyed in my two rounds so far. Feels good and fairly forgiving (I’ve put some bad swings on it already).

Im interested in hearing more about the Full Face, and how good it is for the open face shots.

TSR2 8.0 / Tour AD CQ 6S

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

Revolving Putter

I had a couple of Glide 2.0 wedges but swapped them out for a CBX and a couple of MD4s. The original CBX (52*) was better than my 50* Ping, more forgiving and consistent.

Since then I changed my gapping to 50/54/60/64, the two lower lofts are CBX2 and the higher lofts are Callaways. The performance of the Clevelands is really good, but it’s definitely not a wedge I’d want in a high loft, they’re very bulky, which is perfect for full shots and pitches and even chip and run. Not so good to open up compared to rivals.

After another month with the CBX2, they are definite keepers. The Glide 2 Stealth was one of my favorite wedges. I didn't like the Glide 3 as much and the CBX 2 blows it away. It feels better than the first version (main knock), bu it's performance is what sets it apart. It is fantastic on full shorts, partial wedges, chips and pitches. Literally a point and shoot confidence inspiring wedge. I had 3 shots between 40-70 yards on Saturday. I stuck each one of them pin high. Just took dead aim at the distance and the literally stopped within a foot of impact. We have Bermuda here and it's been a very wet winter. Tight packed mucky dormant Bermuda is not the greatest chipping surface, but these handle it with ease.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

Update from my end: I got my Ping Glide 3.0 54* SS and have 18 holes worth of playing time on it. It had been over 3 weeks since I ordered both the Glide and the CBX2 and the CBX2 still hadn't shipped. I liked the Glide well enough and got impatient enough that I cancelled the CBX2 order and will keep the Glide. I've bladed a few because it's been cold and wet, so the swings haven't been great. But when I make a good swing, the Glide wedge feels great. It will now just be a matter of figuring out what my full swing, 1/2 swing, etc. distances are. I'll plan to order my 60 degree Eye2 pretty soon as well!

TSR2 8.0 / Tour AD CQ 6S

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

Revolving Putter