Talk to me about driving irons...

2
3

Comments

  • MtlJeffMtlJeff Montreal 28789Members Posts: 28,789
    Joined:  #32

    @Norboo said:

    @MtlJeff said:
    Everyone yells at me when I say this, but I'm not sure why there's much benefit to getting a driving iron rather than just buying a GI 3 iron which is much cheaper.

    You can get a 18-19 degree Ping G410 iron for like 125$ or whatever it is and it will perform the task you want

    I am experimenting as we speak. I have bought Ping G410 4 iron and paired it up with Recoil. It, I hate the sound and the feel. I get great distance and flight, but that **** sound and feel! I also have the Srixon U85 I like, but not that long.

    They are not the best feeling irons, I'll admit that. I use the full set and coming from forged clubs it's a big difference

    That being said, I dont really care

    Posted:
    Cobra King F9 w/Fujikura Atmos TS Black 7
    Cobra King F9 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/S300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic  3254Members Posts: 3,254
    Joined:  #33

    I'd check out the Cobra F9 4 iron. I use one right now with a tour ad iz 95x and find it a lot more versatile than a traditional driving iron. A lot easier to hit out of **** lies compared to the driving Irons I've used previously (TMB, OG UDI).

    Posted:
    TC Callaway Epic SZ 440 11.4° w/ Diamana BF 60TX
    Cobra F6 Baffler 16° w/ AD DI Black 7X
    Cobra F9 4 Iron w/ AD IZ 95X
    Titleist 680 3-PW w/ DGX100
    Cleveland RTX4 Tour Raw 53°/58° DG S400 Tour Issue
    Toulon Las Vegas H7 SL
  • md_muellermd_mueller  108Members Posts: 108
    Joined:  edited Oct 29, 2019 4:54pm #34

    I was in the same boat as you for a few years - same swing speed, same yardage gap, same issues with hybrids when there was any wind. Experimented with several driving iron type clubs including the TM TP UDI, Ping Crossover, and Titleist t-mb. While all were nice off the tee, they were very limited in a few areas.

    Probably the three biggest problems were forgiveness, usability from the rough or imperfect lies, and taking off distance. Any off center strike is going to get killed compared to a similarly struck hybrid (I found toe strikes to be especially penal). The margin for error comes down even further when you get a lie that isn't teed up, and I found that my ballflight got super flat leading to really low landing angles and inconsistent carry distances (both short and long on center strikes). Similarly, I found it difficult to take yardage off consistently and could only do so by hitting cuts to keep launch and spin up.

    Last year I finally found a solution in a hybrid on the lower end of the launch spectrum (Titleist 818 h2) playing shorter than standard (+.75" from 4 iron length, which is an inch short of Titleist 21° hybrid standard) with a heavier, stiffer shaft than off the shelf hybrids tend to offer (Accra Fx300h M5). I'm able to manipulate the ball flight higher/lower, get more help on mishits than an iron, and can hit out of tougher lies than I would dream of trying with a driving iron.

    I'm sure the most recent driving iron iterations from the last couple years are going to be marginally better with the issues I described, but I can't imagine they could give me the overall performance I've found with this for tight par 4 tee shots, long par 3s, and second shots from both fairway and rough on par 5s. Just my experience of course. :)

    Posted:
  • buntabunta  735Members Posts: 735
    Joined:  #35

    @MtlJeff said:
    Everyone yells at me when I say this, but I'm not sure why there's much benefit to getting a driving iron rather than just buying a GI 3 iron which is much cheaper.

    You can get a 18-19 degree Ping G410 iron for like 125$ or whatever it is and it will perform the task you want

    Ive been saying this for a long time now... given 2 clubs with the same exact loft and length, youd be hard pressed to find much of a difference in carry distance.

    Posted:
    TS3 / s55 / SM7 / Juno
  • wely324wely324  90Members Posts: 90
    Joined:  #36

    I carry a 15+ year old callaway x-16 2 iron (18*). Forgiving and a piercing controllable ball flight. The whole "driving iron" thing is all marketing. I use it alot on short par 4's or maybe when my driver is a little out of whack or when it's windy!

    Posted:
  • DixieDDixieD  185Members Posts: 185
    Joined:  #37

    I have very similar numbers to you, I cannot kick the 712u 3 iron with a s300 out the bag, the flight is perfect, low to mid height piercing bullets, the wind does not touch it but be sure your miss is not on the toe. I have tried newer more forgiving models but none produce the flight of this thing. Feels great too.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • OrlokOrlok Argentina 90Members Posts: 90
    Joined:  #38

    I have a Titleist T-MB> @balls_deep said:

    I'm a pretty high ball hitter. I currently have a 19* hybrid I've been using but I find it can go a bit too high/spin quite a bit (I spin it backwards on greens). It goes about 225 carry for me (set to 20*) but gets affected by the wind a lot. I always feel like I have to set up for a fade and I also have it set flat as if I worry about it going left on me. I also grabbed a TM Gapr mid thinking it would offer a bit more help and height than a traditional driving iron but found it still goes insanely high for the loft (partially shaft related I'm sure). Basically, I hit my 4 iron around 210 carry. Looking for something that goes straight and is easy to flight high or low when needed and doesn't want to go left. T-MB 3 iron with graphite shaft? P790 UDI? I'd like to have a tee club for shorter par 4s I can knock down and run out but still use on long par 3s and second shots into par 5s around the 220-230 mark.

    For reference: when I say high ball hitter I'm just over 6k spin with a 7 iron and around 120ft peak height with 50 descent angle. Driver is around the 110 mark.

    I have a Titleist T-MB 718 2 iron 17° with a AMT White S300 shaft. Best club I have in my bag by FAR. I am a very high high ball hitter too, but I can tell you that the combination of this head and shaft is INSANE. I usually carry 230 this club and the ball launches quite low/mid, so if the conditions are favorable, the ball can easily roll up to 260. Also, it is an extremely useful club in heavy wind conditions. Last Saturday in the course I play the wind was quite hard, and I basically used this club on all my tee shots (par 4 / par 5). Also the way it looks its quite awesome:



    Posted:

    Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.0° - Project X EvenFlow Black 75
    3 Wood - Ping G410 Plus 14.5° - Project X EvenFlow Black 85
    2 Iron - Titleist T-MB 718 17° - True Temper AMT Tour White S300
    4-PW - Titleist AP2 718 - True Temper AMT Tour White S300
    Wedges - TaylorMade Hi-Toe 52°/9 + 56°/10 + 60°/10 - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 120
    Putter - Oddysey White Ice #1
    Ball - Bridgestone B330 / Tour BX

  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and Southwest 16049Members Posts: 16,049
    Joined:  edited Oct 29, 2019 7:39pm #39

    I play to 3-5 depending on the time of year but no longer have your distance, yet enjoy T-MB 17* 2 iron and 95-gram graphite as my driving iron. As configured, it's moderately high or can be a low windcheater with some forgiveness. I use it off tight or shorter Par 4's and Par 5's, for the second shot on Par 5's and long 215+ Par 3's, it stops for me. Spin depends on the user and shaft. I am also looking at Titleist's new U-500 17* but with a different graphite shaft.

    Posted:
    • Titleist TS2 9.5, PX HZRDUS Red 65 6.0
    • Titleist 917D2 15*, Aldila Rogue MAX 75 "S"
    • Titleist T-MB 17* 2 iron, PXi 6.0
    • Titleist 620 MB/CB 3i-PW, PX LZ
    • SM6 F-52*, PX LZ
    • SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    • SC California Monterey
    • ProV1x








  • CRAFTYLEFTY20CRAFTYLEFTY20  75Members Posts: 75
    Joined:  #40

    @PixlPutterman said:
    Newer driving irons are higher launching than the older ones I have found. I have hit a lot of the newer ones and keep going back to my OG MP Fli Hi

    Couldn’t agree more! This OG mp fli hi will be in my bag for a long time!

    Posted:
  • Pack7483Pack7483  641Members Posts: 641
    Joined:  #41

    Rickie Folwer spec Cobra F9 4iron is the perfect driving/utility iron in my opinion. My favorite club in my bag.

    Posted:
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and Southwest 16049Members Posts: 16,049
    Joined:  edited Nov 2, 2019 9:42pm #42

    For those unfamiliar, just because someone uses a 3 or 4 iron off a tee doesn't make it an actual driving iron. Look up the definition of contemporary driving iron, the head design is different, has a wider sole, more forgiving, and shafts are typically different.

    I carried a 16* 1 iron till switching to 17* 2 iron fifteen years back. The Mizuno MB 1 iron was nothing like contemporary driving irons and had less loft. It was a long iron, 40" playing length, narrow sole, almost no offset, and -2* bounce, that I could hit mid-low 240yds plus run like a banshee, a solid strike reached 250+yds. Today, the same can be done only with more forgiveness using my 2018 Titleist T-MB 17*, offset is 4.3m and PXi 6.0 112 gram shaft at 39.5" playing length, mid-bend with med/firm tip. Only I am much older now and only get 215+ run out and remain a loyal 2i user out of love.

    So, yes, a 4 or 3 iron can be used as a driving iron but today it needs modifications. The F9 4 iron that Ricky Folwer has is built to 3 iron standards with a GD shaft; essentially not a 4 iron but a Game improvement head with a wide sole, more offset, beefed up the loft and longer shaft. Similar in ways to Speith's T-MB 3 iron with stronger loft and GD graphite 39.5" shaft, recently replaced by a bonified U-500 driving iron. Good luck...

    Posted:
    • Titleist TS2 9.5, PX HZRDUS Red 65 6.0
    • Titleist 917D2 15*, Aldila Rogue MAX 75 "S"
    • Titleist T-MB 17* 2 iron, PXi 6.0
    • Titleist 620 MB/CB 3i-PW, PX LZ
    • SM6 F-52*, PX LZ
    • SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    • SC California Monterey
    • ProV1x








  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • dxdgenertdxdgenert Dirtiest player in the game Minnesota 1746Members Posts: 1,746
    Joined:  #43

    @Pepperturbo said:
    For those unfamiliar, just because someone uses a 3 or 4 iron off a tee doesn't make it an actual driving iron. Look up the definition of contemporary driving iron, the head design is different, has a wider sole, more forgiving, and shafts are typically different.

    I carried a 16* 1 iron till switching to 17* 2 iron fifteen years back. The Mizuno MB 1 iron was nothing like contemporary driving irons and had less loft. It was a long iron, 40" playing length, narrow sole, almost no offset, and -2* bounce, that I could hit mid-low 240yds plus run like a banshee, a solid strike reached 250+yds. Today, the same can be done only with more forgiveness using my 2018 Titleist T-MB 17*, offset is 4.3m and PXi 6.0 112 gram shaft at 39.5" playing length, mid-bend with med/firm tip. Only I am much older now and only get 215+ run out and remain a loyal 2i user out of love.

    So, yes, a 4 or 3 iron can be used as a driving iron but today it needs modifications. The F9 4 iron that Ricky Folwer has is built to 3 iron standards with a GD shaft; essentially not a 4 iron but a Game improvement head with a wide sole, more offset, beefed up the loft and longer shaft. Similar in ways to Speith's T-MB 3 iron with stronger loft and GD graphite 39.5" shaft, recently replaced by a bonified U-500 driving iron. Good luck...

    Aren't we just arguing semantics at this point. My 21* 4 iron has a forgiving design that has a high-cog for low spin. Does it launch higher than your 17*? Sure but it is a low, boring wind cheater that I wouldn't hit out of any lie that was less than ideal. To be honest, since you need to hit it higher on the face, it is really only good for the tee. Hence, driving iron.

    Posted:
    PING G400 MAX w/ Alta CB
    Cobra KING F7 fairway w/ Fujikura Pro 65
    PING G400 5 wood w/ Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75
    Cobra KING F7 hybrid w/ Fujikura Pro 75H
    PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
    PXG 0211 5-PW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
    Cleveland CBX 52* w/ Rotex Graphite
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe Bigfoot 58* w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Bettinardi BB1F - SeeMore PTM1 - Wilson Staff Milled 8802
  • Kale_mKale_m  2129Members Posts: 2,129
    Joined:  #44

    I just use my Callaway apex mb 4 iron off the tee. Can hit it high or a low driving draw that runs out. I can carry it 225-230 off the tee and run out to 245.

    G410 19* in the bag that I can absolutely rip. And it is way more forgiving then a driving iron for me. I am a 0.7 cap with a high swing speed. Just put the hybrid in the bag this year and it is awesome

    Posted:
    Ping g410 LST 9* weight in toe, PW70tx 
    Ping g410 2hy at 16*
    Ping g410 3hy at 20.5 
    Callaway Apex MB Raw TIX100
    Callaway md4 52/56
    Tm hi toe 60
    Tm spider x 34” navy with true path alignment
  • jwadds19jwadds19  12Members Posts: 12
    Joined:  #45

    I recently got rid of my UDI and have decided to go with more forgiving but still matching set 3 irons.

    Went with an HMB 3 iron at 18 degrees in my mizuno MP 20 set, and 18 degree 585 to go with my 785 Srixons. I find them both to be much more forgiving then what the UDI was, but still clubs I like the look of and get plenty of distance from. They are almost exclusively tee clubs for me.

    I like the fact that the shafts match my other irons, and being a little shorter in length then the UDI was I do find I control them a little better. Cheaper doesnt hurt also. Haha.

    Posted:
  • balls_deepballs_deep Wanna earn 14 bucks the hard way? 1528Members Posts: 1,528
    Joined:  #46

    @Kale_m said:
    I just use my Callaway apex mb 4 iron off the tee. Can hit it high or a low driving draw that runs out. I can carry it 225-230 off the tee and run out to 245.

    G410 19* in the bag that I can absolutely rip. And it is way more forgiving then a driving iron for me. I am a 0.7 cap with a high swing speed. Just put the hybrid in the bag this year and it is awesome

    Just reshafted my 19* hybrid with Hzrdus black from evenflow blue and it’s made a big difference. Balloon reduced massively and a much more solid feel. Tested the Gapr Lo 2 with KBs X yesterday and was hitting it a mile. Just not sure I could give up a wedge for it. I’d rather hit 3 wood off the tee.

    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5° Project X Evenflow White 6.5x 62g
    Titleist 917F2 15.75°  Project X HZRDUS Handcrafted Black 6.0 75g
    Titleist 818 H1 19° Project X HZRDUS Handcrafted Black 6.0 85g
    Srixon z785 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
    Vokey SM7 52F 56F 60D Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M 35"
    Pro V1x/Snell MTB-X
    Currently - 5.6


  • swizzswizz  54Members Posts: 54
    Joined:  #47

    I’ve got the tmb 2 iron. Took me awhile to find the sweet spot consistently. It’s harder to hit than some of these clunky 2 irons but man it’s a good club. Pretty easy to flight as well. It’s definitely low launch but can flight it high if I need to.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Mkweav22Mkweav22  11Members Posts: 11
    Joined:  #48

    I have a high ball flight, added the 790 to my bag, easy club to hit straight, low, with good roll out.

    Posted:
  • zdtallanzdtallan Maryland 49Members Posts: 49
    Joined:  #49

    I have the Taylormade TP UDI that i just recently reshafted with the AD DI - 95s. Originally it was a steal shafted 20* which I hit well and could move either way but it felt like it wasn't much of a "driving iron" but more of just a long club. Since its tinkering season, I picked up the GD shaft, tipped it an inch, bent the head 2* strong and I now have an absolute cannon in the bag. I've put it up against the new UDI from TM and hit it alongside the U85 (i play srixon z765s) and I can't find one that beats it.

    Posted:
  • wknomiwknomi  17Members Posts: 17
    Joined:  #50

    @zdtallan said:
    I have the Taylormade TP UDI that i just recently reshafted with the AD DI - 95s. Originally it was a steal shafted 20* which I hit well and could move either way but it felt like it wasn't much of a "driving iron" but more of just a long club. Since its tinkering season, I picked up the GD shaft, tipped it an inch, bent the head 2* strong and I now have an absolute cannon in the bag. I've put it up against the new UDI from TM and hit it alongside the U85 (i play srixon z765s) and I can't find one that beats it.

    I agree. did something similar, but went from the stock hzrdus 85g shaft. I think the AD-DI shafts are a big game changer for driving irons off the deck as a whole

    Posted:

    M1 9.5 Black Tie 75m4 X-stiff
    P790 UDI Tour AD 95-s
    P790 3-4i PX 6.0
    P750 5-PW PX 6.0
    MG 50.10 PX 6.0
    SM6 56.10, 60.8 PX 5.5
    SC SS NP2

  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and Southwest 16049Members Posts: 16,049
    Joined:  #51

    @dxdgenert said:

    @Pepperturbo said:
    For those unfamiliar, just because someone uses a 3 or 4 iron off a tee doesn't make it an actual driving iron. Look up the definition of contemporary driving iron, the head design is different, has a wider sole, more forgiving, and shafts are typically different.

    I carried a 16* 1 iron till switching to 17* 2 iron fifteen years back. The Mizuno MB 1 iron was nothing like contemporary driving irons and had less loft. It was a long iron, 40" playing length, narrow sole, almost no offset, and -2* bounce, that I could hit mid-low 240yds plus run like a banshee, a solid strike reached 250+yds. Today, the same can be done only with more forgiveness using my 2018 Titleist T-MB 17*, offset is 4.3m and PXi 6.0 112 gram shaft at 39.5" playing length, mid-bend with med/firm tip. Only I am much older now and only get 215+ run out and remain a loyal 2i user out of love.

    So, yes, a 4 or 3 iron can be used as a driving iron but today it needs modifications. The F9 4 iron that Ricky Folwer has is built to 3 iron standards with a GD shaft; essentially not a 4 iron but a Game improvement head with a wide sole, more offset, beefed up the loft and longer shaft. Similar in ways to Speith's T-MB 3 iron with stronger loft and GD graphite 39.5" shaft, recently replaced by a bonified U-500 driving iron. Good luck...

    Aren't we just arguing semantics at this point. My 21* 4 iron has a forgiving design that has a high-cog for low spin. Does it launch higher than your 17*? Sure but it is a low, boring wind cheater that I wouldn't hit out of any lie that was less than ideal. To be honest, since you need to hit it higher on the face, it is really only good for the tee. Hence, driving iron.

    If you wouldn't hit your club out of anything less than ideal, it's not semantics, it's a club IMO with limited use, not by design a contemporary driving iron. Check the title of the thread. My utility driving iron has a low COG and high-launch, designed with faster ball speed in mind. Kenny Perry carries a 3iron jacked to 17*. Though he uses it off the tee and deck it's not a driving iron by contemporary standards. When I choke down an inch on mine and adjust address it's an effective wind-cheater off the deck hitting into a green. Yesterday after a good drive on a long Par 4 I had 210 into a protected green. Using 2 iron off the deck with an adjusted address, the high-trajectory club provided a mid-trajectory that bored through cross-breeze covered the hazard and landed greenside, LW up and down for par. A driving iron that's versatile and effective, easy game... lol. Have a good day.

    Posted:
    • Titleist TS2 9.5, PX HZRDUS Red 65 6.0
    • Titleist 917D2 15*, Aldila Rogue MAX 75 "S"
    • Titleist T-MB 17* 2 iron, PXi 6.0
    • Titleist 620 MB/CB 3i-PW, PX LZ
    • SM6 F-52*, PX LZ
    • SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    • SC California Monterey
    • ProV1x








  • Old Tom MorrisOld Tom Morris  18Members Posts: 18
    Joined:  #52

    I think its foolish to have a club limited to tee use. (Besides driver). There are so many options nowadays. I carry a T-MB 3 iron but I can hit it on fairway and light rough lies. If I couldn't hit it well without a peg under it, I'd put a different club in the bag.

    Posted:

    Driver: Titleist 905S 9.5* Graphite Design YS-6+ 65g Stiff or Titleist 905T 9.5* Fujikura Speeder 77g Stiff

    Fairway Woods: Titleist 906F2 15* Aldila NV 75g Stiff or Titleist Pro Trajectory 980F 17* Aldila NV 75g Stiff or Sonartec NP-99 14* Aldila NV 75g Stiff

    Hybrid: Titleist 909H 19* Aldila Voodoo hybrid Stiff or Sonartec MD 21* UST iRod or Titleist 716 T-MB 3 iron TTDG AMT S300

    Irons: Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW TTDG AMT S300

    Wedges: Titleist SM7 50/8 and 54/10 and 58/10 TTDG S200

    Putter: Odyssey White Hot #5 mallet

    Ball: Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist Pro V1

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • PR3CI5NPR3CI5N  21Members Posts: 21
    Joined:  edited Nov 5, 2019 12:13am #53

    @balls_deep said:
    I'm a pretty high ball hitter. I currently have a 19* hybrid I've been using but I find it can go a bit too high/spin quite a bit (I spin it backwards on greens). It goes about 225 carry for me (set to 20*) but gets affected by the wind a lot. I always feel like I have to set up for a fade and I also have it set flat as if I worry about it going left on me. I also grabbed a TM Gapr mid thinking it would offer a bit more help and height than a traditional driving iron but found it still goes insanely high for the loft (partially shaft related I'm sure). Basically, I hit my 4 iron around 210 carry. Looking for something that goes straight and is easy to flight high or low when needed and doesn't want to go left. T-MB 3 iron with graphite shaft? P790 UDI? I'd like to have a tee club for shorter par 4s I can knock down and run out but still use on long par 3s and second shots into par 5s around the 220-230 mark.

    For reference: when I say high ball hitter I'm just over 6k spin with a 7 iron and around 120ft peak height with 50 descent angle. Driver is around the 110 mark.

    We seem to hit the ball about the same. My 7-iron spins 6300 average with a 50.6 landing angle. I just had an iron fitting at Titleist last week and got fitted for the U510 3-iron (20 degree) with the new Even Flow White 100 HY 6.5. My average carry was 239, spinning 3900, 12 degree launch angle, 46 degree landing angle, 102 swing speed, 152 ball speed. Sounds like it might be a solid setup for you as well.

    Posted:
  • uglandeuglande  209Members Posts: 209
    Joined:  #54

    I played the P790-2 and found it to be a fun club off the tee for 1 or maybe 2 holes per round. Beyond that, it stayed in the bag. It's a challenge of the fairway and flighting the ball is not easy. Hitting it low, no problem, but hitting it high or working it, not so much. I can do a lot more creative things with my fairway woods than I can with a driving iron. But that's just me.

    Posted:

  • YaseinyafaceYaseinyaface  2Members Posts: 2
    Joined:  #55

    I am still playing the Ping Rapture Driving Iron pictured above. I find it very easy to hit it high on command when playing into a par 5, and also extremely easy to flight lower on tee shots. Not to mention it has very clean lines, with minimal offset.

    Posted:
  • GMR2ironGMR2iron  1557Members Posts: 1,557
    Joined:  #56

    @Old Tom Morris said:
    I think its foolish to have a club limited to tee use. (Besides driver). There are so many options nowadays. I carry a T-MB 3 iron but I can hit it on fairway and light rough lies. If I couldn't hit it well without a peg under it, I'd put a different club in the bag.

    I agree with this post 100%. I have the u500 now, and before that, the TMB 2 iron. I can easily hit them off the deck; if I could only hit them from the tee, it would be time to replace with a hybrid.

    Posted:
    Titleist TS4 9.75 HZRDUS Yellow 
    Titleist 915F 15.5 HZRDUS Red
    Titleist 718CB 3 thru PW
    Titleist SM7 50-08, 56-08, 60-04
    Yes! Tracy
  • Jamesng2003Jamesng2003  36Members Posts: 36
    Joined:  #57

    love my Mizuno Hi Fli 2 iron 18 degrees. When I need to hit a fairway, my go to club.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • balls_deepballs_deep Wanna earn 14 bucks the hard way? 1528Members Posts: 1,528
    Joined:  #58

    @uglande said:
    I played the P790-2 and found it to be a fun club off the tee for 1 or maybe 2 holes per round. Beyond that, it stayed in the bag. It's a challenge of the fairway and flighting the ball is not easy. Hitting it low, no problem, but hitting it high or working it, not so much. I can do a lot more creative things with my fairway woods than I can with a driving iron. But that's just me.

    Yeah this was the club I was considering. I play a few 220ish par 3s that are often straight into the wind but I still feel like the UDI could be too much club for that and hitting a hybrid off the deck effectively is much easier.

    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5° Project X Evenflow White 6.5x 62g
    Titleist 917F2 15.75°  Project X HZRDUS Handcrafted Black 6.0 75g
    Titleist 818 H1 19° Project X HZRDUS Handcrafted Black 6.0 85g
    Srixon z785 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
    Vokey SM7 52F 56F 60D Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M 35"
    Pro V1x/Snell MTB-X
    Currently - 5.6


  • TherealpatgilesTherealpatgiles  444Members Posts: 444
    Joined:  edited Nov 5, 2019 1:38pm #59

    @balls_deep said:

    @uglande said:
    I played the P790-2 and found it to be a fun club off the tee for 1 or maybe 2 holes per round. Beyond that, it stayed in the bag. It's a challenge of the fairway and flighting the ball is not easy. Hitting it low, no problem, but hitting it high or working it, not so much. I can do a lot more creative things with my fairway woods than I can with a driving iron. But that's just me.

    Yeah this was the club I was considering. I play a few 220ish par 3s that are often straight into the wind but I still feel like the UDI could be too much club for that and hitting a hybrid off the deck effectively is much easier.

    I am pretty close to you with regards to numbers. I tried the tmb 3 iron with a kuro kage something. P790 with gd ad di. Neither of them performed well for me. I found that a 3 or 2 iron with my same iron shaft will give me the distance I need and the descent angle to stop on a green. I currently use a Nike vapor pro combo 3 iron with my same modus 120s.

    In league there's a 289 par 4 that I'm 60 out from every single week while the other 3 dorks in my group are in the woods or bunkers or water cause they hit driver. Definitely try a 3 iron steel shaft.

    Posted:
    Taylormade m5 9 ad gp 7x
    Epon af901 19 modus 120
    Nike vapor pro combo 3 iron
    Epon af 503 4-w modus 120s
    Epon tour 50 55 60 modus w
    Epon i33 rose gold putter
  • johnciajohncia  4Members Posts: 4
    Joined:  #60

    I also need help in this category. I’ve favored a 5w (about 240yrds) over a hybrid, but my next club is a p760 4i I only hit about 210. I rarely tee off with the 5w and feel like I’d get more utility out of a 3i or 2i p790.

    I just haven’t pulled the trigger and I don’t know why... I have it in my cart online, but can’t seem to justify replacing the 5w.

    Any suggestions?

    Ps: club I’m considering is a p790 3i bent 1.5 deg strong with a project x6.5 steel shaft.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • WanLeftyWanLefty  479Members Posts: 479
    Joined:  #61

    @MtlJeff said:
    Everyone yells at me when I say this, but I'm not sure why there's much benefit to getting a driving iron rather than just buying a GI 3 iron which is much cheaper.

    You can get a 18-19 degree Ping G410 iron for like 125$ or whatever it is and it will perform the task you want

    I think the only real issue with this is the potential offset, if that's not an issue then totally an option.

    Wan

    Posted:
3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file