2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

i’m starting to think my instructor is using me as a bank account to fill his schedule

wowdrood1983

I have been taking lessons for about a year with a well known instructor who has taught a lot of known PGA pros and developed lots of players from average handicaps to scratch/plus handicaps.

I came to see him about a year ago as a 14ish handicap and am now a 6 at the end of this year. Starting off the lessons were great and i was able to get a regular slot.

Keeping in mind that he is a busy person and travels a lot around to teach various pros in florida/etc, i’m finding it increasingly difficult to get a slot just to see him for a lesson. I’ll usually ask for whatever time is available (literally any time between 9-5 - being a student i can make whatever time he gives me as long as i have a day or so notice) and get no response. I usually have to ask again or a 3rd time until i finally get a response for an open slot available this week or next week. It seems he has a couple students that he has a preference for that always seem to get a weekly lesson.

I mean, i can understand he is busy but usually you should have at least some idea of what your schedule is like this week.

As for the actual lessons, it’s starting to get frustrating where i commute an hour for a lesson at 12:00, i show up, he is running late with the previous lesson, the lesson ends and he spends 10 minutes talking with random members at the club while i’m standing there waiting to get started.

We finally get to the range at 12:20, and the lesson ends at 1:00 yet i still pay for the full hour. He also spends a decent amount of time during lessons texting (i’m assuming other students).

For progress, the last couple weeks i have been not really progressing that much. I jumped down to a 6 handicap quickly but stayed there for 3-4 months. It seems like week after week i have the same issues.

Not sure what i should do, considering he’s probably the only really well known pro that specializes in teaching in my area, most others are just your standard pga pro working at a club etc.

Time to either have a discussion with him or move on and provide your feedback

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

> @wowdrood1983 said:

> I have been taking lessons for about a year with a well known instructor who has taught a lot of known PGA pros and developed lots of players from average handicaps to scratch/plus handicaps.

>

> I came to see him about a year ago as a 14ish handicap and am now a 6 at the end of this year. Starting off the lessons were great and i was able to get a regular slot.

>

> Keeping in mind that he is a busy person and travels a lot around to teach various pros in florida/etc, i’m finding it increasingly difficult to get a slot just to see him for a lesson. I’ll usually ask for whatever time is available (literally any time between 9-5 - being a student i can make whatever time he gives me as long as i have a day or so notice) and get no response. I usually have to ask again or a 3rd time until i finally get a response for an open slot available this week or next week. It seems he has a couple students that he has a preference for that always seem to get a weekly lesson.

>

> I mean, i can understand he is busy but usually you should have at least some idea of what your schedule is like this week.

>

> As for the actual lessons, it’s starting to get frustrating where i commute an hour for a lesson at 12:00, i show up, he is running late with the previous lesson, the lesson ends and he spends 10 minutes talking with random members at the club while i’m standing there waiting to get started.

>

> We finally get to the range at 12:20, and the lesson ends at 1:00 yet i still pay for the full hour. He also spends a decent amount of time during lessons texting (i’m assuming other students).

>

> For progress, the last couple weeks i have been not really progressing that much. I jumped down to a 6 handicap quickly but stayed there for 3-4 months. It seems like week after week i have the same issues.

>

> Not sure what i should do, considering he’s probably the only really well known pro that specializes in teaching in my area, most others are just your standard pga pro working at a club etc.

my personal view is that if his lack of attention may be contributing to your lack of progress, then it may be time to look elsewhere....assuming you are doing everything you are asked to and you are putting in good work in your own time.

> @thebogeyputt said:

> > @wowdrood1983 said:

> > I have been taking lessons for about a year with a well known instructor who has taught a lot of known PGA pros and developed lots of players from average handicaps to scratch/plus handicaps.

> >

> > I came to see him about a year ago as a 14ish handicap and am now a 6 at the end of this year. Starting off the lessons were great and i was able to get a regular slot.

> >

> > Keeping in mind that he is a busy person and travels a lot around to teach various pros in florida/etc, i’m finding it increasingly difficult to get a slot just to see him for a lesson. I’ll usually ask for whatever time is available (literally any time between 9-5 - being a student i can make whatever time he gives me as long as i have a day or so notice) and get no response. I usually have to ask again or a 3rd time until i finally get a response for an open slot available this week or next week. It seems he has a couple students that he has a preference for that always seem to get a weekly lesson.

> >

> > I mean, i can understand he is busy but usually you should have at least some idea of what your schedule is like this week.

> >

> > As for the actual lessons, it’s starting to get frustrating where i commute an hour for a lesson at 12:00, i show up, he is running late with the previous lesson, the lesson ends and he spends 10 minutes talking with random members at the club while i’m standing there waiting to get started.

> >

> > We finally get to the range at 12:20, and the lesson ends at 1:00 yet i still pay for the full hour. He also spends a decent amount of time during lessons texting (i’m assuming other students).

> >

> > For progress, the last couple weeks i have been not really progressing that much. I jumped down to a 6 handicap quickly but stayed there for 3-4 months. It seems like week after week i have the same issues.

> >

> > Not sure what i should do, considering he’s probably the only really well known pro that specializes in teaching in my area, most others are just your standard pga pro working at a club etc.

>

> my personal view is that if his lack of attention may be contributing to your lack of progress, then it may be time to look elsewhere....assuming you are doing everything you are asked to and you are putting in good work in your own time.

> @thebogeyputt said:

> > @wowdrood1983 said:

> > I have been taking lessons for about a year with a well known instructor who has taught a lot of known PGA pros and developed lots of players from average handicaps to scratch/plus handicaps.

> >

> > I came to see him about a year ago as a 14ish handicap and am now a 6 at the end of this year. Starting off the lessons were great and i was able to get a regular slot.

> >

> > Keeping in mind that he is a busy person and travels a lot around to teach various pros in florida/etc, i’m finding it increasingly difficult to get a slot just to see him for a lesson. I’ll usually ask for whatever time is available (literally any time between 9-5 - being a student i can make whatever time he gives me as long as i have a day or so notice) and get no response. I usually have to ask again or a 3rd time until i finally get a response for an open slot available this week or next week. It seems he has a couple students that he has a preference for that always seem to get a weekly lesson.

> >

> > I mean, i can understand he is busy but usually you should have at least some idea of what your schedule is like this week.

> >

> > As for the actual lessons, it’s starting to get frustrating where i commute an hour for a lesson at 12:00, i show up, he is running late with the previous lesson, the lesson ends and he spends 10 minutes talking with random members at the club while i’m standing there waiting to get started.

> >

> > We finally get to the range at 12:20, and the lesson ends at 1:00 yet i still pay for the full hour. He also spends a decent amount of time during lessons texting (i’m assuming other students).

> >

> > For progress, the last couple weeks i have been not really progressing that much. I jumped down to a 6 handicap quickly but stayed there for 3-4 months. It seems like week after week i have the same issues.

> >

> > Not sure what i should do, considering he’s probably the only really well known pro that specializes in teaching in my area, most others are just your standard pga pro working at a club etc.

>

> my personal view is that if his lack of attention may be contributing to your lack of progress, then it may be time to look elsewhere....assuming you are doing everything you are asked to and you are putting in good work in your own time.

I’ve worked my ass off for the past year, in the summers i practiced usually about 10-15 hours a week and played 2-3 times a week after the practice to try and take it to the golf course. I send him video of my swing every single time i go to hit balls. At the start i made it very clear i was willing to do whatever it takes to get to a scratch handicap or better

> @wowdrood1983 said:

> > @thebogeyputt said:

> > > @wowdrood1983 said:

> > > I have been taking lessons for about a year with a well known instructor who has taught a lot of known PGA pros and developed lots of players from average handicaps to scratch/plus handicaps.

> > >

> > > I came to see him about a year ago as a 14ish handicap and am now a 6 at the end of this year. Starting off the lessons were great and i was able to get a regular slot.

> > >

> > > Keeping in mind that he is a busy person and travels a lot around to teach various pros in florida/etc, i’m finding it increasingly difficult to get a slot just to see him for a lesson. I’ll usually ask for whatever time is available (literally any time between 9-5 - being a student i can make whatever time he gives me as long as i have a day or so notice) and get no response. I usually have to ask again or a 3rd time until i finally get a response for an open slot available this week or next week. It seems he has a couple students that he has a preference for that always seem to get a weekly lesson.

> > >

> > > I mean, i can understand he is busy but usually you should have at least some idea of what your schedule is like this week.

> > >

> > > As for the actual lessons, it’s starting to get frustrating where i commute an hour for a lesson at 12:00, i show up, he is running late with the previous lesson, the lesson ends and he spends 10 minutes talking with random members at the club while i’m standing there waiting to get started.

> > >

> > > We finally get to the range at 12:20, and the lesson ends at 1:00 yet i still pay for the full hour. He also spends a decent amount of time during lessons texting (i’m assuming other students).

> > >

> > > For progress, the last couple weeks i have been not really progressing that much. I jumped down to a 6 handicap quickly but stayed there for 3-4 months. It seems like week after week i have the same issues.

> > >

> > > Not sure what i should do, considering he’s probably the only really well known pro that specializes in teaching in my area, most others are just your standard pga pro working at a club etc.

> >

> > my personal view is that if his lack of attention may be contributing to your lack of progress, then it may be time to look elsewhere....assuming you are doing everything you are asked to and you are putting in good work in your own time.

>

> > @thebogeyputt said:

> > > @wowdrood1983 said:

> > > I have been taking lessons for about a year with a well known instructor who has taught a lot of known PGA pros and developed lots of players from average handicaps to scratch/plus handicaps.

> > >

> > > I came to see him about a year ago as a 14ish handicap and am now a 6 at the end of this year. Starting off the lessons were great and i was able to get a regular slot.

> > >

> > > Keeping in mind that he is a busy person and travels a lot around to teach various pros in florida/etc, i’m finding it increasingly difficult to get a slot just to see him for a lesson. I’ll usually ask for whatever time is available (literally any time between 9-5 - being a student i can make whatever time he gives me as long as i have a day or so notice) and get no response. I usually have to ask again or a 3rd time until i finally get a response for an open slot available this week or next week. It seems he has a couple students that he has a preference for that always seem to get a weekly lesson.

> > >

> > > I mean, i can understand he is busy but usually you should have at least some idea of what your schedule is like this week.

> > >

> > > As for the actual lessons, it’s starting to get frustrating where i commute an hour for a lesson at 12:00, i show up, he is running late with the previous lesson, the lesson ends and he spends 10 minutes talking with random members at the club while i’m standing there waiting to get started.

> > >

> > > We finally get to the range at 12:20, and the lesson ends at 1:00 yet i still pay for the full hour. He also spends a decent amount of time during lessons texting (i’m assuming other students).

> > >

> > > For progress, the last couple weeks i have been not really progressing that much. I jumped down to a 6 handicap quickly but stayed there for 3-4 months. It seems like week after week i have the same issues.

> > >

> > > Not sure what i should do, considering he’s probably the only really well known pro that specializes in teaching in my area, most others are just your standard pga pro working at a club etc.

> >

> > my personal view is that if his lack of attention may be contributing to your lack of progress, then it may be time to look elsewhere....assuming you are doing everything you are asked to and you are putting in good work in your own time.

>

>

> I’ve worked my **** off for the past year, in the summers i practiced usually about 10-15 hours a week and played 2-3 times a week after the practice to try and take it to the golf course. I send him video of my swing every single time i go to hit balls. At the start i made it very clear i was willing to do whatever it takes to get to a scratch handicap or better

>

I'm the same way. I've been there and I feel your pain. Part of being a good instructor is being available for your students and players. The world isnt perfect and some treat this like a job than a passion / interest to help others, so there's that. best of luck!

> @Krt22 said:

> Air your grievances with the instructor, if he doesn't have an amicable solution, move on. I don't care how good someone is, if they are short changing you it's not the time/money.

> @Krt22 said:

> Air your grievances with the instructor, if he doesn't have an amicable solution, move on. I don't care how good someone is, if they are short changing you it's not the time/money.

And the nice thing is, the way he responds will sort of be the final test in itself. If he acknowledges your concerns and apologizes, you can carry on. If he gets defensive, etc. see ya.

First post, first thread - giving you the benefit of the doubt and taking all of this at face value (and who knows) it sounds like you should actually talk with him about your concerns. What advice could any rational person give you other than have a real conversation? Sounds like you made a ton of progress in a short time and now you haven't progressed, as you put it, "the last couple weeks" - some expectations may need to be adjusted. Maybe you'll never get to scratch, maybe 6 is your limit, maybe 4, again who knows.

No idea where the "bank account" title to the thread comes from - you claim he doesn't even want to see you. But you do seem to need lessons pretty frequently and maybe more so than is necessary? Weekly seems a lot, but if you are willing to pay for it, I assume he'd oblige if available.

I don't think anyone would argue, if all the stuff you posted is 100% true, that you may be getting less attention than you deserve or pay for, but again just go discuss it with him. That's what needs to happen.

• Like 1

> @MountainGoat said:

> He's telling you with his actions that he thinks he has taken you about as far as you can go, and you're no longer worth his time. Time to move on to someone who isn't so arrogantly disrespectful.

>

>

Yep

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Call his a$$ out!

Whats up amigo are you a no go or what? Have you been dating supermodels or what cause hard to get a hold of.... your cell phone broke? ...cause you rarely return any texts.

Dont take any crap you're a 6 cap now.... not like some double digit scruff.

And the hour starts when the lesson starts... that's on him not you to worry bout.

I'm guessing you're younger being a student..... listen to us old farts and dont let him treat you like a little kid!

I know a pga tour instructor.... his boy won on tour this year and his ego is beyond comical

Can't figure how to like my own posts

If the guy isn't as invested in your game as you are, then it's time to move on.

"Not sure what i should do, considering he’s probably the only really well known pro that specializes in teaching in my area, most others are just your standard pga pro working at a club etc."

I'm not sure what the problem is here. Almost all famous instructors started this way and for one reason or another (usually successful students), they make it big. Just research them all and find one that has a good reputation with the good players in your area. They are certainly going to treat you with more respect than you are currently getting.

> @Barfolomew said:

> Call his a$$ out!

>

> Whats up amigo are you a no go or what? Have you been dating supermodels or what cause hard to get a hold of.... your cell phone broke? ...cause you rarely return any texts.

>

> Dont take any crap you're a 6 cap now.... not like some double digit scruff.

>

> And the hour starts when the lesson starts... that's on him not you to worry bout.

>

> I'm guessing you're younger being a student..... listen to us old farts and dont let him treat you like a little kid!

>

> I know a pga tour instructor.... his boy won on tour this year and his ego is beyond comical

Gankas?! Lol, jk

> @MountainGoat said:

> He's telling you with his actions that he thinks he has taken you about as far as you can go, and you're no longer worth his time. Time to move on to someone who isn't so arrogantly disrespectful.

>

>

Yep. I thought exactly same. He’s telling you he thinks you’ve peaked.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > He's telling you with his actions that he thinks he has taken you about as far as you can go, and you're no longer worth his time. Time to move on to someone who isn't so arrogantly disrespectful.

> >

> >

>

> Yep. I thought exactly same. He’s telling you he thinks you’ve peaked.

I am not buying it. Maybe be thinks your have peaked but who the F is he to make that call? It is not you that has peaked, it’s the instructor. He’s likely too stupid to make a game plan to get you progressing at really what is a most difficult stage - going from a 6 to scratch. Stop wasting your time and money. It sucks you have to get a new instructor but face facts, this guy does not respect your time or you. He has a stable, so it is not a money thing. Any conversation you have with him will at best get him to change for a few weeks (or most likely two lessons), but he will resort back to his normal state which is sh*t. Don’t bother with the conversation, just move on.

> @CasualLie said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > He's telling you with his actions that he thinks he has taken you about as far as you can go, and you're no longer worth his time. Time to move on to someone who isn't so arrogantly disrespectful.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Yep. I thought exactly same. He’s telling you he thinks you’ve peaked.

>

> I am not buying it. Maybe be thinks your have peaked but who the F is he to make that call? It is not you that has peaked, it’s the instructor. He’s likely too stupid to make a game plan to get you progressing at really what is a most difficult stage - going from a 6 to scratch. Stop wasting your time and money. It sucks you have to get a new instructor but face facts, this guy does not respect your time or you. He has a stable, so it is not a money thing. Any conversation you have with him will at best get him to change for a few weeks (or most likely two lessons), but he will resort back to his normal state which is sh*t. Don’t bother with the conversation, just move on.

Oh I agree. I’m not saying he’s peaked. In fact I think any player with a solid move determines his own peak ( relative to his physical limitations of course ). But if your instructor doesn’t believe , you need a new one. Or maybe just learn to own your own game and go from here.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @wowdrood1983 said:

>

> As for the actual lessons, it’s starting to get frustrating where i commute an hour for a lesson at 12:00, i show up, he is running late with the previous lesson, the lesson ends and he spends 10 minutes talking with random members at the club while i’m standing there waiting to get started.

>

> We finally get to the range at 12:20, and the lesson ends at 1:00 yet i still pay for the full hour. He also spends a decent amount of time during lessons texting (i’m assuming other students).

>

The above should have been enough for you to move on. Nothing else needed.

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

Impossible to know if his actions are responsible for the stall in your progress. The mountain gets exponentially more difficult to climb the closer you get to the summit.

Regardless, you should still be getting what you're paying for. Time to have a talk with him.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

> @J13 said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > He's telling you with his actions that he thinks he has taken you about as far as you can go, and you're no longer worth his time. Time to move on to someone who isn't so arrogantly disrespectful.

> >

> >

>

> Yep

Nailed it, I would move on. Let's face it, he is always going to prioritize a PGA tour pro or mini tour player, over an AM. If you are a six, then you are pretty aware of what still needs to be worked on and can plan accordingly, good luck.

First, congrats on the improvement! You should be very proud of the correlation between effort and results.

Regarding the time, if you have a 40 minute lesson vs an hour, pay him for the 2/3's of an hour at his rate. If he says anything, it's well within your rights to say that the lesson didn't start until 12:20 and because you're a student on a limited income, you can't afford to pay for the time you didn't receive.

If he gives you grief, hit a stinger into his twig and berries and thank him for showing you that shot.

I have no idea of your current swing situation but at some point there doesn't need to be as much direct involvement from the instructor. example- you have made big changes i'm sure and maybe he has you hitting 50 half swings working on one move or feel. Could you do a half hour lesson? visit him less frequently? I would talk about what you feel you are lacking in your golf game, what the plan is to improve and make changes. He should have an idea of what you should be doign for a while as changes take time to stick. A lot of times you need to make change A and work that in before you can proceed with anything else.

Life is too short to allow yourself to be disrespected, let him know how you feel by closing your wallet since this guy seems clueless on giving back respect given to him by yourself. Give yourself some credit that obviously have some desire, athletic ability, and work ethic to progress as far as you have in a limited time. Continue to play the game and build your confidence in ability to score, and if need some occasional maintenance or another pair of eyes, vet the instructor based on both of your personalities as well as goals and abilities, not just reputation from others.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

I find it disrespectful. You are a young person [student], so maybe you haven't been exposed to this sort of brush off that someone my age has experienced. Take the high road but, find another instructor and don't mention this person by name or by action. I would use this as a motivator personally, a 6 hcpt is a good player. Maybe this is a good thing to get some new eyes on your game. Good luck!