Handicap to play blades?

golfinguru11

I know lots of tour pros don’t play blades but all of them could without losing much ground. But for ams, at what handicap do you start losing strokes gaming blades?

fyi-2 handicap who grew up on cbs, just now getting into blades

Callaway Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 9.5* - Ventus TR Red 6x
Callaway Paradym 3w (@ 16*) - Ventus TR Red 7x
Callaway Paradym 7w (21*) - Ventus TR Red 8x
Srixon ZX7 (4-PW) - KBS Tour V 120x
Vokey SM8 Raw 52F,56D,60M - TI S400 
Odyssey 2-ball OG / Bettinardi DASS BBZero Flow / many more...

Lefty

Good luck with this thread OP.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Let me drag out the dead horse for you to beat LOL. Seriously, it's more swing speed than handicap. If you have trouble getting it to launch, don't go for blades. You don't lose a lot of strokes, especially from CB to blades. Maybe you hit a few shots that lose like 5 more yards than a CB. I don't think there's even a shot difference per round there. Just think about how GI clubs don't immediately make you a pro golfer. For Pro's though, the 0.2 strokes a round actually do matter. Amateurs can play whatever they want as long as the ball flies. Some guys need whole sets of hybrids. The scorecard doesn't know any better.

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

> @golfinguru11 said:

> I know lots of tour pros don’t play blades but all of them could without losing much ground. But for ams, at what handicap do you start losing strokes gaming blades?

>

> fyi-2 handicap who grew up on cbs, just now getting into blades

I’ve only been here on this forum a short time but already know this is one of the most talked about topics.

It’s player dependant, one person may play better with blades because of confidence, the next may suck with them.

Too many variables to determine and hard to quantify. My first round with MP-20 combos coming from JPX919 HM pro was my best round ever.

• Like 1

I think the overwhelming answer is that there is absolutely no handicap threshold to play blades - if like said before, you can elevate them; and you have the swing repeatability to find center more than not; you can play blades. Any handicap can play blades, not every player can.

It is just statistical likelihood that fewer higher handicaps play blades and above a certain one you find any with blades because they don't have the swing to play them.

I think the test is, if you can hit a blade 5 iron that goes high enough, you can play blades.

Sarcastic answer: Depends on your handicapping body. For example, under the USGA system where the maximum possible handicap is 36.4 for men, 36.4. Under EGA, the maximum is 54, ergo the maximum to play blades is 54.0.

Real answer: I have a friend who just took up the game. He bought a set of Macgregor Jack Nicklaus 086 blades for $10. That's his set and it's how he'll learn the game. Nothing wrong with that. Can you tolerate the performance of a blade on your sub-par swings? I'm a 6.9, and I can. But that doesn't mean you will, or anyone else will.

ANY handicap... try this, go over your last round. Take your score, subtract all the putts you hit, then subtract any wedges include chip shots, bunker shots etc, next take away 18 tee shots ( if there are 4 par 3’s you can choose not to subtract them if you want) .. your “ other” shots will be somewhere around 10, plus or minus a few. You may also choose to subtract hybrids and fairway woods if you want. My point is play what irons you want, you probably use them less than you think.

• Like 2

> @danielt823 said:

> > @golfinguru11 said:

> > I know lots of tour pros don’t play blades but all of them could without losing much ground. But for ams, at what handicap do you start losing strokes gaming blades?

> >

> > fyi-2 handicap who grew up on cbs, just now getting into blades

>

> I’ve only been here on this forum a short time but already know this is one of the most talked about topics.

>

> It’s player dependant, one person may play better with blades because of confidence, the next may suck with them.

>

> Too many variables to determine and hard to quantify. My first round with MP-20 combos coming from JPX919 HM pro was my best round ever.

What combo did you go with?

> @tets said:

> ANY handicap... try this, go over your last round. Take your score, subtract all the putts you hit, then subtract any wedges include chip shots, bunker shots etc, next take away 18 tee shots ( if there are 4 par 3’s you can choose not to subtract them if you want) .. your “ other” shots will be somewhere around 10, plus or minus a few. You may also choose to subtract hybrids and fairway woods if you want. My point is play what irons you want, you probably use them less than you think.

Great post.

I'm playing to about a 6 right now. The reason I don't shoot par is I'm a terrible chipper and I have a drive a round that leads to a double bogey.

I've played MP 30s, JPX 900 F and now MP 57s. My scores haven't changed much. I'd say the least "forgiving" were the MP30s and those are the only sticks I've broken par with.

• Like 1

No handicap is necessary. How often do you strike the ball well? Here is a perfect example of this nonsense; last week I was out with my neighbor, former Euro Tour Pro, who has a set of MP-4 blades with PX 6.0 shafts. I game the 2019 P790s with C Taper 130 X. He is a 0 handicap (he does not play too much anymore, otherwise he would easily be a +3 or +4), I am a 7. We were standing on a par 3, 155 yards. I hit my 9 iron pin high, decent strike. I picked up his 9 iron "for science" and had same strike and divot and landed 2 yards short of my first shot. It's a mental thing in my opinion. Can I play blades regularly, absolutely. Do I have to? No. A super game improvement iron will not make you magically hit the ball straight. A blade will not make you chunk every shot. It's perception, plain and simple. No matter what club you are holding from driver to putter, you need to put a good swing on the ball. My two cents.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Titleist TSR2 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX Mk II 20 Degree Graphite Design AD-DI Hybrid 95X

Miura MC 502 4-P Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Miura Milled Tour Wedge 52, 56, 60 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Ping PLD DS72

Titleist Pro V1

> @iceman1118 said:

> No handicap is necessary. How often do you strike the ball well? Here is a perfect example of this nonsense; last week I was out with my neighbor, former Euro Tour Pro, who has a set of MP-4 blades with PX 6.0 shafts. I game the 2019 P790s with C Taper 130 X. He is a 0 handicap (he does not play too much anymore, otherwise he would easily be a +3 or +4), I am a 7. We were standing on a par 3, 155 yards. I hit my 9 iron pin high, decent strike. I picked up his 9 iron "for science" and had same strike and divot and landed 2 yards short of my first shot. It's a mental thing in my opinion. Can I play blades regularly, absolutely. Do I have to? No. A super game improvement iron will not make you magically hit the ball straight. A blade will not make you chunk every shot. It's perception, plain and simple. No matter what club you are holding from driver to putter, you need to put a good swing on the ball. My two cents.

IMO even a 20 could be fine playing a 9 iron blade. Playing a 210 par 3 over water from the tips you'd notice a difference between the MP4 4 iron and your own.

That said, granted you have the speed to get the launch conditions right for blades the biggest considerations in my testing have been

1. Sole grind - a sharper grind like Mizuno MP is less forgiving if you come into the ball even the slightest bit early

2. Shaft - this is a huge consideration with any club but IMO makes a bigger difference with blades

3. CG - if you find one that suits your contact and delivery it can work as well as a CB

For me, granted the shaft is right, I have no issue hitting blades but I have the speed and contact to do so. I know golfers who are much better than I am as a whole who do much better with CBs.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @iceman1118 said:

> > No handicap is necessary. How often do you strike the ball well? Here is a perfect example of this nonsense; last week I was out with my neighbor, former Euro Tour Pro, who has a set of MP-4 blades with PX 6.0 shafts. I game the 2019 P790s with C Taper 130 X. He is a 0 handicap (he does not play too much anymore, otherwise he would easily be a +3 or +4), I am a 7. We were standing on a par 3, 155 yards. I hit my 9 iron pin high, decent strike. I picked up his 9 iron "for science" and had same strike and divot and landed 2 yards short of my first shot. It's a mental thing in my opinion. Can I play blades regularly, absolutely. Do I have to? No. A super game improvement iron will not make you magically hit the ball straight. A blade will not make you chunk every shot. It's perception, plain and simple. No matter what club you are holding from driver to putter, you need to put a good swing on the ball. My two cents.

>

> IMO even a 20 could be fine playing a 9 iron blade. Playing a 210 par 3 over water from the tips you'd notice a difference between the MP4 4 iron and your own.

>

> That said, granted you have the speed to get the launch conditions right for blades the biggest considerations in my testing have been

>

> 1. Sole grind - a sharper grind like Mizuno MP is less forgiving if you come into the ball even the slightest bit early

> 2. Shaft - this is a huge consideration with any club but IMO makes a bigger difference with blades

> 3. CG - if you find one that suits your contact and delivery it can work as well as a CB

>

> For me, granted the shaft is right, I have no issue hitting blades but I have the speed and contact to do so. I know golfers who are much better than I am as a whole who do much better with CBs.

Fair point.

Titleist TSR3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Titleist TSR2 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX Mk II 20 Degree Graphite Design AD-DI Hybrid 95X

Miura MC 502 4-P Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Miura Milled Tour Wedge 52, 56, 60 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Ping PLD DS72

Titleist Pro V1

None. But every golfer (even most pros) reach a point of diminishing returns in their set. Anyone can hit a 9 iron blade but when you get to 5 or 6 iron your consistency will fall off and your yardage gaps will narrow.

If you like to work the ball or flight the ball, blades are great. If you are mostly just trying to hit straight shots, then blades probably don't make sense unless you just love the look and feel.

Maybe try a blended set with blades in the short irons and just try to identify the spot in your bag where the "cons" of blades start to outweigh the "pros."

Titleist TSR3 08.75 – AD DI 65x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – AD DI 75x

Titleist TSR2 17.25 – AD DI 85x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – AD DI 95x

Titleist T150 4i-6i – X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i – X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw – S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 – White Hot OG5

NO, NO, NO, The prerequisite to playing blades has nothing to do with handicap, It has to do with blade snobbery, or B S for short.

You have to be able to hold your head higher than your average player, and hold disdain for all who do not play blades or those that

Question your reason for playing blades. These boards and others are filled with this very question every week, merely weak golfers

Who seem to be asking for permission to play a certain type of iron, when really their answer should not matter, grow some balls and

Learn to say F U, to those that question your decision, and look down at them, who feel they have no game for blades.

Damn thee non blade player, Damn thee to hell,

We can go on for hours, but why ??????? If you can't be a Blade Snob, Why ask ??????

Note , membership is growing at a better pace than last year and will be held on

Every weekend at various golf venues across the world

• Like 1

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

There's no handicap, it's up to the individual. Clearly harder to hit than cavity backs but if you like them, play'em.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

> @golfinguru11 said:

> I know lots of tour pros don’t play blades but all of them could without losing much ground. But for ams, at what handicap do you start losing strokes gaming blades?

>

> fyi-2 handicap who grew up on cbs, just now getting into blades

I expect some beginners would strike consistently better shots with small head blade irons compared to large head cavity back irons. So, to answer your question, I don't think a players handicap is relevant to iron head size and or blade vs cavity back. Players should try different iron designs and play the one which produces the consistently best results.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

> @aquapig said:

> > @danielt823 said:

> > > @golfinguru11 said:

> > > I know lots of tour pros don’t play blades but all of them could without losing much ground. But for ams, at what handicap do you start losing strokes gaming blades?

> > >

> > > fyi-2 handicap who grew up on cbs, just now getting into blades

> >

> > I’ve only been here on this forum a short time but already know this is one of the most talked about topics.

> >

> > It’s player dependant, one person may play better with blades because of confidence, the next may suck with them.

> >

> > Too many variables to determine and hard to quantify. My first round with MP-20 combos coming from JPX919 HM pro was my best round ever.

>

> What combo did you go with?

Without hijacking OP’s thread;

3 HMB

4,5,6 MMC

7-PW MB

• Like 1

> @puttingmatt said:

> NO, NO, NO, The prerequisite to playing blades has nothing to do with handicap, It has to do with blade snobbery, or B S for short.

> You have to be able to hold your head higher than your average player, and hold disdain for all who do not play blades or those that

> Question your reason for playing blades. These boards and others are filled with this very question every week, merely weak golfers

> Who seem to be asking for permission to play a certain type of iron, when really their answer should not matter, grow some balls and

> Learn to say F U, to those that question your decision, and look down at them, who feel they have no game for blades.

> **** thee non blade player, **** thee to ****,

>

> We can go on for hours, but why ??????? If you can't be a Blade Snob, Why ask ??????

>

>

> Note , membership is growing at a better pace than last year and will be held on

> Every weekend at various golf venues across the world

Lul wut?

> @aquapig said:

> > @tets said:

> > ANY handicap... try this, go over your last round. Take your score, subtract all the putts you hit, then subtract any wedges include chip shots, bunker shots etc, next take away 18 tee shots ( if there are 4 par 3’s you can choose not to subtract them if you want) .. your “ other” shots will be somewhere around 10, plus or minus a few. You may also choose to subtract hybrids and fairway woods if you want. My point is play what irons you want, you probably use them less than you think.

>

> Great post.

>

> I'm playing to about a 6 right now. The reason I don't shoot par is I'm a terrible chipper and I have a drive a round that leads to a double bogey.

>

> I've played MP 30s, JPX 900 F and now MP 57s. My scores haven't changed much. I'd say the least "forgiving" were the MP30s and those are the only sticks I've broken par with.

Funny how people always blame terrible chipping rather than inaccurate irons.

• Like 1

The difference between a blade and a similarly-sized CB is going to come down to feel (and to some degree work-ability).

As you strike a golf club off-center, it tends to twist and rotate. This is felt through the hands. The perimeter weighting on a CB will partially dampen these vibrations. A blade will provide harsher feedback when your strike varies around the face. Nonetheless, blades tend to feel a bit more pure when struck flush. Thus, those who can strike their irons flush sometimes find blades more appealing.

I also suspect (based on my own experiences) that putting extra weight around the perimeter of a club (especially out at the toe) can tend to make the club harder to manipulate through impact and thus not as easy to work. So, IMHO, I think there might be something to the idea that blades make it slightly easier for a hand-sy player to shape shots on command.

Beyond that, the differences are minimal. I enjoy having a little extra weight out at the toe because that's where I tend to miss on occasion and I believe a little extra mass does help me to stay pin high. Furthermore, I feel like I am more apt to start my CBs on line, probably due to the extra heft.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS