2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Putting!!!! Most boring but essential practice we need!

Golfjack

Yeah the full swing is much more glorious, but judging by how many putting highlights we see, it's actually very important to master and most of us don't take a scientific approach to it. Recently been starting to use my Blast Golf sensor after it's been sitting there for a long while LOL. Very interesting metrics and also some revelations that corresponded to what the sensor and drills do.

1) Consistent tempo. I always just pulled it back further for longer putts. But then it would take longer for longer back strokes, and then I'd have to guess at how fast I needed to hit it. Obvious way I totally missed is to always have the same backstroke and frontstroke time. It's not easy to do, but at least something I can strive for. Pro's are very consistent in their tempo and times. I like to warm up and get to the proper tempo and time, and then vary the length of putt, and also walk around and come back and hit a putt see if I can replicate the good tempo.

2) Speed and length of stroke - Saw somewhere that it's an inch for each foot. Haven't tried that, since I've done it mostly by feel. And you can't quantify feel.

3) clubface rotation. Basically hitting the ball straight. A degree makes a big difference! Also center striking as well as hitting it level or below the equator. I've just started to use the ball marking both the line and a perpendicular so it's a cross. Helps give me direction and an aid to square my clubface at impact. It's so important and really helped my putting on the course.

It's a quick way to knock a few strokes off your game, as I think most players don't actually practice it right. I don't know if this is "right", but at least matches what I see from Blast (Brad Faxon who was a pretty good putter himself).

Saw somewhere that you roll it better by hitting it lower on the ball. Actually tested results, and also works for me too on the greens.

Curious to hear how everyone practices their putting, as this seems like something we can all work on at home with measurable results with any of those training aids that measure speed/time/rotation of club. I find the Blast to sometimes be a little off, though I don't know if it's me, strike, clubpath (which I think is part of the face angle equation anyway), but sometimes say for face angle I will try closing it slightly and it says open, yet sometimes it works. Same for the time, but then it could just be me. Regardless, it's better than nothing and way cheaper than a SAM at home.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

My best putting days have been where I find a dead flat uphill putt of about 8 feet, put my mirror down, and stroke them in one after another, focusing on getting the ball to roll straight (with the line going end over end).

That completely translates into lag putting because I end up hitting the ball very solidly and consistently

• Like 1

I would add consistent setup. Many people overlook how a consistent pre shot routine and setup help. Aligning the putter square behind the ball before even starting the stroke can be the difference to making and missing short putts. Take your time, square the putter face, then set your feet and stroke it

I have a mat with a ramp set up in my lounge. I found that using a putting mat rather than the carpet cured me of leaving them short on the course. The ramp has two holes one of which is smaller than regulation and has a white line leading to it so I practice with that. It won't help me learn break characteristics but it helps with distance and consistency.

I do also have one of [these](https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00G2H92PY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 "these"). Unfortunately because it's raised up I find that it interferes with my swing. But I use it occasionally to train myself to keep still. I should probably find an off-cut of wood i can use to raise myself to its height but then I've got a lump of wood lying in the middle of the floor :-/

> @dmecca2 said:

> I would add consistent setup. Many people overlook how a consistent pre shot routine and setup help. Aligning the putter square behind the ball before even starting the stroke can be the difference to making and missing short putts. Take your time, square the putter face, then set your feet and stroke it

I second finding the setup position that yields the best results, and stick with it. I used to be a decent putter years ago, then it all went away. I was liable to 3-putt anything outside 10 feet it got so bad. What I found was that my setup had gradually changed and I lost all speed and path control. Couldnt hit the center of the putter face, couldnt control the speed of my stroke. I went back to the way I used to setup, very hunched over, elbows tucked hard at my sides, eyeballs looking straight down on top of the ball, and from there its just rock the baby. Putts have started dropping again.

> @larrybud said:

> My best putting days have been where I find a dead flat uphill putt of about 8 feet, put my mirror down, and stroke them in one after another, focusing on getting the ball to roll straight (with the line going end over end).

>

> That completely translates into lag putting because I end up hitting the ball very solidly and consistently

This is basically 80% of my putting practice, but I do it indoors on a putting mat. I basically practice 3 and 6 footers with the sole intent to get the ball started on line and rolling end over end. If you can't do that reliably all other practice is a waste of time IMO, as your ability to read break and speed will be compromised by inconsistent roll/direction (thanks Obee for this one). At the course I practice 4-7 footers from uphill/downhill/L-R/R-L and then a bit of lagging it from 30+ ft or so.

• Like 1

I never EVER practice putting, moving to the claw eliminated the need. I might hit 6 putts before I play

I would rating my putting 5 strokes under my current hdcp

I truly believe some players are innately awesome at putting and others will always struggle with pace, green reading etc. I think it helps that I grew up on crazy fast greens with lots of slope

Hope this post isn't too DB-ish but it's my honest take on it. My back is atrocious FWIW

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Blueboard Ion 63x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

My main putting practice consists of a 20-30-40 foot lag putting drill that I score, and a 3-5-7 foot ladder drill.

I NEVER practice putting stoke, club face alignment.

I probably practice more one handed putts and "off stance" putts more than some people practice two handed putts. I think putting is the most athletic/reactive part of the game and I have nothing but contempt for treating the stroke and the set up scientifically.

If you can roll a ball over a spot the size of a dime a foot out from your putter, then you can hit your line. And, you don't need apps, and devices and lasers to learn that. After you learn that, it's all about your speed and your read, which are two sides of the same coin.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I also think anyone who refers to putting practice as "boring" is doomed to a life of poor putting.

• Like 1

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @cardoustie said:

>

> I never EVER practice putting, moving to the claw eliminated the need. I might hit 6 putts before I play

>

> I would rating my putting 5 strokes under my current hdcp

>

> I truly believe some players are innately awesome at putting and others will always struggle with pace, green reading etc. I think it helps that I grew up on crazy fast greens with lots of slope

>

> Hope this post isn't too DB-ish but it's my honest take on it. My back is atrocious FWIW

>

+1000. I switched to the claw back in July and I wish I had done it a long time ago. I rarely miss a short putt anymore. I never beat balls on the range. All my practice time is spent chipping and putting. I also always practice putting with one ball and hole out all putts.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

> @cardoustie said:

>

> I never EVER practice putting, moving to the claw eliminated the need. I might hit 6 putts before I play

>

> I would rating my putting 5 strokes under my current hdcp

>

> I truly believe some players are innately awesome at putting and others will always struggle with pace, green reading etc. I think it helps that I grew up on crazy fast greens with lots of slope

>

> Hope this post isn't too DB-ish but it's my honest take on it. My back is atrocious FWIW

>

I'm in the same boat but you'll probably never catch me using the claw.

Once I got my stroke developed, my putting green work is primarily just before the round to get the speed of the greens. If I'm struggling, I'll pull a string out to make sure I'm hitting the ball on line.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

The practice green is my favorite place on the course. Here in the mid-atlantic most of the courses will allow chipping on the putting greens, so I can happily play up-and-down for hours. I try to put as much pressure on every stroke i can, and religiously replicate my process every time. After several years, I can confidently say that I have become a good putter and that this practice has had benefits for my entire game.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

> @jholz said:

> The practice green is my favorite place on the course. Here in the mid-atlantic most of the courses will allow chipping on the putting greens, so I can happily play up-and-down for hours. I try to put as much pressure on every stroke i can, and religiously replicate my process every time. After several years, I can confidently say that I have become a good putter and that this practice has had benefits for my entire game.

You mean there are places that won't allow chipping on to practice greens? That's bs.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

> @TheCityGame said:

> I also think anyone who refers to putting practice as "boring" is doomed to a life of poor putting.

I don't want to admit it but it's so true LOL.

As far as the scientific goes, I understand the end result is to get it in the hole, but I also have a habit of opening my clubface. The device able to tell me that helps. I find it best for my tempo. I'm buying in to their tour tempo and forward/back stroke times for now and see how it improves my putting.

But overall just getting on the practice green and hitting putts already helped my game substantially. Just looking for a way to be able to practice at home.

The mirror is great as I can easily check where my eyes are in relation to ball. Also checking my alignment. Anyway, looks like the idea is just to get the practice in hitting it straight. I really want to improve my tempo though since that's what I've been working on in my full swing as well. Never thought it was so important.

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

> @lawsonman said:

> > @jholz said:

> > The practice green is my favorite place on the course. Here in the mid-atlantic most of the courses will allow chipping on the putting greens, so I can happily play up-and-down for hours. I try to put as much pressure on every stroke i can, and religiously replicate my process every time. After several years, I can confidently say that I have become a good putter and that this practice has had benefits for my entire game.

>

> You mean there are places that won't allow chipping on to practice greens? That's bs.

Some courses have tiny little greens that cant really facilitate having both chippers and putters on the same green. My home course, the practice green you can do both as the green is bigger than many of the actual greens on the course. Our rival course, the putting green is 20-25ft wide and 45-50ft and no fringe or rough on the outside, just landscaping pavers to protect it from cars and golf carts.The chipping green is a bit smaller.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

> @lawsonman said:

> > @jholz said:

> > The practice green is my favorite place on the course. Here in the mid-atlantic most of the courses will allow chipping on the putting greens, so I can happily play up-and-down for hours. I try to put as much pressure on every stroke i can, and religiously replicate my process every time. After several years, I can confidently say that I have become a good putter and that this practice has had benefits for my entire game.

>

> You mean there are places that won't allow chipping on to practice greens? That's bs.

Yeah man, growing up out west, chipping and putting greens were distinctly separate. No chipping on the putting green and the chipping green was always so beat up that trying to putt on it was just stupid. This is at muni facilities. I can't speak to private clubs.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

Probably been said already but to me - the best putting practice is just rolling dead straight 8 - 10 footers. As many as you want to.

I've always agreed with the notion that every putt is a straight putt, so I feel like making a true stroke that rolls the ball straight is the most important thing to improve. Break and the speed of greens is going to be different every time you play and you have no control over either; you only have control over your stroke. Reading greens and getting your pace right only happens with experience and feel - hitting it straight off the face on your line comes through practice.

If I miss a make-able putt because I misread it or didn't have the speed just right but hit my line - I'm ok with it. It's when I hit it off my line that bugs me.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

> @dmecca2 said:

> > @TheCityGame said:

> > I also think anyone who refers to putting practice as "boring" is doomed to a life of poor putting.

>

> I think chipping practice is extremely boring. I bet you'll never guess what I struggle with the most.

It's pretty exciting when you skull chips into guys putting on the other side of the green....

• Like 2

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

> @SNIPERBBB said:

> > @dmecca2 said:

> > > @TheCityGame said:

> > > I also think anyone who refers to putting practice as "boring" is doomed to a life of poor putting.

> >

> > I think chipping practice is extremely boring. I bet you'll never guess what I struggle with the most.

>

> It's pretty exciting when you skull chips into guys putting on the other side of the green....

My favorite is chipping in. Cause that's it. Wasted. No way you chip in twice in one day.

My putting improved after I stopped thinking about it so much. My putting style is reactive in the same way an outfielder throws to the infield or a QB throws to a receiver. I stand behind the ball, allow my mind to see the terrain, address the ball and then make the stroke.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Tensei AV Raw White 65X

PXG Gen 6 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

> @lawsonman said:

> > @jholz said:

>

Yes, in those cases they typically have as designated chipping area. The places around here that combine the two,invariably have ding dongs hitting pitches and flop shots all over the places and making a ton of ball marks

For those that have echo'd that their putting practice decreased a ton when they went to the claw, my switch was getting fit into the right putter. When you have the right putter for your stroke, start line and roll greatly improve.

> @lawsonman said:

> > @jholz said:

>

Our course doesn't and it's an annoyance. We don't actually have anywhere that we can practice chipping. Another course doesn't allow it but at least has a dedicated three hole academy course where they do allow it.

Put me in the boat of not ever needing to practice putting and it’s still the best most consistent part of my game. Make sure you are setting up the exact same and then from there left wrist away, lift wrist towards a specific spot. Maybe 5 putts before a round to get an idea of speed, that’s it.

Interesting that nobody here takes the trackman approach to putting. People care about launch angle, spin rates ball speed, but for putting it's all just putt away and no numbers. It's bad to just mash balls on the range with no point other than aiming at a flag, but it's ok to just hit putts at a hole. I do understand that it will make you a decent putter just actually practicing putting, but would people even think about getting a putting coach or a short game coach?

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

> @Golfjack said:

> Interesting that nobody here takes the trackman approach to putting. People care about launch angle, spin rates ball speed, but for putting it's all just putt away and no numbers. It's bad to just mash balls on the range with no point other than aiming at a flag, but it's ok to just hit putts at a hole. I do understand that it will make you a decent putter just actually practicing putting, but would people even think about getting a putting coach or a short game coach?

You seem clearly vested in breaking down your putting scientifically. Stroke path, eye line, lines on the ball. . ."measurables". What if I showed you a guy -- in a laboratory -- that was able, for any length putt, to pull the putter back the exact same length, accelerate it the exact same rate, hit the ball in the exact same spot, with the exact same spot on the putter, start it on a perfect line, and get it to travel a specific distance. That's a skill for sure. It would take a lot of practice and time.

I wouldn't bet a dime on that guy in a putting contest against another guy who spends a fraction of that time, "just hitting putts at a hole".

You ever play with those guys who miss some 8 footer and when the hole is done, try it again, barely look at it, take a quick set-up with no practice swing, don't use their line on the ball and just roll the thing in the middle of the hole. I firmly believe that's possible the first time they get over the ball and it's more likely to go in if they used that "second guy" technique. But, people are scared of it because they can't explain it. Can't measure it. Don't know what to blame it on if they miss.

When you putt, you are rolling a ball over an undulating, imperfect, living surface. 18 times. . .in different lighting conditions, different winds, different drainage, different exposure. Putting is hitting jump shots with a defender guarding you. It's not free throws. The only free throws in golf are on the tee.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green