GolfWRX was informed of a potential issue and in an effort to be proactive, passwords were reset for some users. Please use the forget password recovery link: https://forums.golfwrx.com/entry/passwordrequest
Please email [email protected] if further help is required. We're sorry for any inconvenience.
Help replacing my 716 AP2 - (MP20 / T1100 / P790 / i500.....)
So I am looking at upgrading my 716 AP2s with Project X 6.0 Rifle shafts (standard loft / lie and 1/2 inch short. Short man (5'7) in my late 20's
I hit a high ball flight with a slight draw. Not a fan of overly stiff shafts.
Currently an 8 handicap and my approach shots are probably my biggest strength. Fairly fast driver SS of 108-112 on a normal swing.
I have had them for over 4 years now and I feel a change is needed.
- Consistency / gapping - yardages are ridiculously consistent. Good shots are always pin high and I never get any fliers.
- Forgiveness - I feel like they are pretty forgiving
- Feel - feel good but not great
- Shape - great profile and shape by the ball. Love the soles.
- Really struggle to flight them, especially in the long irons. They really seem to just spin bit much and just rise and rise. This is more me than the clubs though.
- Distance - these things go nowhere. My 4 iron carries in the low 190s. My 7 iron is the high 150's. Medium swings and fast swings go the same distance. I have a apex hybrid that I carry 215-225 and a 3 wood that carries 245. Driver distance is 265 carry rolls out to about 280. I dont feel my iron distances are comparable.
- Blade length - they are really quite squat, I had them next to some Mizuno and Vega blades and they are literally the same size in regards to blade length.
- Offset - slightly too much offset which is starting to irk me now im a better striker
- In the bag - clubs look pretty hideous in the bag
Iv hit the irons in the thread title on the range with a mixture of nippon and KBS shafts and iv booked for a fitting next week.
Im a fan of the MP20 HMBs the most. From a performance aspect they just work. They do fly a little high though especially in the long irons which is a bit of a worry, however they just look so good, but maybe slightly on the large side. Would be good to hear some thoughts on these? I am even considering a full MMC set (dont look as pretty and they have a small profile like my AP2) or going HMB and then MB in 9 iron and PW as they PW in the HMB looks a bit large. Any feedback would be great on the entire set up. The HMB sole width is actually fairly large as well which wont suit my shallow divots and hard fairways.
The Pings I wont be gonig for as they feel like kettles but the performance and looks are there
I like the Titleist T series from a performance point of view and down by the ball. The 1100 is an amazing club buts its so close to my AP2 but they do perform better. The rest of the T series looks dreadful in all aspects.
The Taylormade P790's surprised me. Really good feeling clubs. Nice sharp edges. They just go stupid long and I cannot see these being beneficial to my game. They perform almost too well if that makes sense. I have not tried the P760s.
I just want something that basically is maybe slightly larger but not too thick that spins less and flies lower. Until recently I had no idea how small my AP2s actually are. Easy right
Help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
TS3 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Yellow
TS3 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver
Apex Hybrid 19°- Kuro Kage Black
MP20 MMC - Project X Rifle 6.0
Vokey 50° 54° 58° - Project X Rifle 6.0
Spider Tour X