Does birth month matter for junior golf and college recruiting?

CTgolf

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Therefore I would say the “worst” months of birthday are from April to June and the “best” are from late August to end of year.

> @golfer55082 said:

> The biggest junior events are all from late June to early August so are the age cutoff dates. So a kid with the birthday right before the cutoff typically plays against the field that can be close to one year older. This is certainly a big disadvantage.

> @golfer55082 said:

> The biggest junior events are all from late June to early August so are the age cutoff dates. So a kid with the birthday right before the cutoff typically plays against the field that can be close to one year older. This is certainly a big disadvantage.

I think you mean right after the cutoff, not before.

No, it’s “before” the cutoff, which means the kid is technically one year older and has to be placed in the older group. Imagine an event has 13-14 and 15-16 age groups with a cutoff day of July 1; a kid who turns 15 before 7/1 will have to play in 15-16 group, another kids who turns 15 after 7/1 can still play in 13-14 group. Hard to see the impact in the long run, but the first kid surely face tougher competition.

> @Noles said:

> > @golfer55082 said:

> > The biggest junior events are all from late June to early August so are the age cutoff dates. So a kid with the birthday right before the cutoff typically plays against the field that can be close to one year older. This is certainly a big disadvantage.

>

> I think you mean right after the cutoff, not before.

> @tiger1873 said:

> I would say this really only matters when there under 13 or 14. When kids are 6-9 the a kid that is a few months older can be a huge advantage.

>

> Once there older though age isn’t a big deal anymore but that is true in any sport. Other then early exposure I don’t think it matters in the long run.

Spot on.

> @golfer55082 said:

> Therefore I would say the “worst” months of birthday are from April to June and the “best” are from late August to end of year.

>

> > @golfer55082 said:

> > The biggest junior events are all from late June to early August so are the age cutoff dates. So a kid with the birthday right before the cutoff typically plays against the field that can be close to one year older. This is certainly a big disadvantage.

>

>

We experienced exactly the above this past summer. Son turned 11 right before the cutoff date for IMG Worlds and played in the 11-12yo division, thus competing against some kids who were almost 2 years older. Pretty big difference at that age given growth patterns for boys IMHO.

I don’t want to stalk people but quickly looked at the publicly available data of a few top junior golfers and you know what most of them have the birthday of from August to January! So it’s likely that birthday month has an impact on the performance of junior golfers.

> @JuniorGolfParent said:

> > @golfer55082 said:

> > Therefore I would say the “worst” months of birthday are from April to June and the “best” are from late August to end of year.

> >

> > > @golfer55082 said:

> > > The biggest junior events are all from late June to early August so are the age cutoff dates. So a kid with the birthday right before the cutoff typically plays against the field that can be close to one year older. This is certainly a big disadvantage.

> >

> >

>

> We experienced exactly the above this past summer. Son turned 11 right before the cutoff date for IMG Worlds and played in the 11-12yo division, thus competing against some kids who were almost 2 years older. Pretty big difference at that age given growth patterns for boys IMHO.

> @golfer55082 said:

> I don’t want to stalk people but quickly looked at the publicly available data of a few top junior golfers and you know what most of them have the birthday of from August to January! So it’s likely that birthday month has an impact on the performance of junior golfers.

>

> > @JuniorGolfParent said:

What age are you talking about. I found this is really only the case with US Kids. Once they get older it all evens out. Age doesn't matter that much especially in golf 12 year kids beat 18 year kids all the time and if age mattered you wouldn't see that.

Generally the younger the age the more birth month affects abilities and size in the major summer championships. My 7 YO kid has an October birthday and it definitely helped him over the summer at Jr World playing as a 6 YO. 3 months before Jr World the longest club he used was a 3W for the par 3 course. By tournament time we only had to bring irons.

My kid is a May Birthday and I will tell you that he is a year behind physically than those kids with fall birthdays. Thought about holding him back, but he is too smart academically and would be bored out of his mind. He went to World's twice and was one of the younger kids there. He was middle of the pack and it was all due to physical development. 6 months older going in and he wouldn't have been middle of the pack. He is still fighting today.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Hi,

Just curious is there a consistent month cut-off date for the most advanced tournaments that used universally ie. Worlds? From this post it was saying spring birthdays can be more advantageous so does that mean the “usual” cut-off date is sometime in the summer? Or does the month cut-off vary by time of year and tournament? Thanks

> @mbh922 said:

> Hi,

>

> Just curious is there a consistent month cut-off date for the most advanced tournaments that used universally ie. Worlds? From this post it was saying spring birthdays can be more advantageous so does that mean the “usual” cut-off date is sometime in the summer? Or does the month cut-off vary by time of year and tournament? Thanks

>

Spring Birthdays are less advantageous. My kid has a May Birthday. He played in the World's twice. At 12 years and 2 months when World's were played he had a sever disadvantage to the kid getting ready to turn 13.

> @mbh922 said:

> My apologies, I meant fall birthdays more advantageous. Does that mean most cutoffs are summertime?

I don’t know about 12 and above, but for 12 and under, the biggest are IMG Junior World (early mid July), FCG Callaway World (mid July), and US Kids World (early August). So ideally having a late August birthday gives max advantage.

> @mbh922 said:

> Hi,

>

> Just curious is there a consistent month cut-off date for the most advanced tournaments that used universally ie. Worlds? From this post it was saying spring birthdays can be more advantageous so does that mean the “usual” cut-off date is sometime in the summer? Or does the month cut-off vary by time of year and tournament? Thanks

>

For UsKids, the Locals have varying cutoff dates for age each season.

For USKids, the Regionals which are held at various times around the year have varying cut-off dates. Example, Copperhead classic is your age on 12/31/2019 this year and Desert Shootout is your age on 1/31/2020 this year.

For USKids, the Worlds cutoff is likely around the same date every year since the event is heald in early August every year. I would gather that IMG Junior Worlds and FCG Worlds are similar.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

Exactly! More so if this kid is held back for a year to go to school - which I have seen a few examples.

> @Kcct82 said:

> > @mbh922 said:

> > My apologies, I meant fall birthdays more advantageous. Does that mean most cutoffs are summertime?

>

> I don’t know about 12 and above, but for 12 and under, the biggest are IMG Junior World (early mid July), FCG Callaway World (mid July), and US Kids World (early August). So ideally having a late August birthday gives max advantage.

>

Well, at the time our son was going through kindergarten, the local school system put a limit that you had to be a certain age by June 1st, but his birthday was August 3. So we thought he would have to wait another year to get into kindergarten (I guess it was because of space considerations that they started getting 'tough' on age for these little guys). OK, so we're considering putting off kindergarten that leads to 1st grade. So, we were looking for a new daycare facility but I worked at a Big10 University that I knew had its own daycare (and kindergarten) under the supervision of graduate student child educational programs. So when I went to check about our child, we explained what happened and we asked if they had openings in daycare area. They asked, so you don't want him to start kindergarten?, we do have kindergarten too? (the nice thing about their kindergarten, it wasn't half-day like most public ones, it was full day... I could drop him off in morning and pick him up after work, even have lunch with him).... we said yes, but his birthday isn't until August....they said, that doesn't affect us and we have an opening. So we said wow, great, when does it start?.... "Tomorrow"! So I had to figure how to get our little guy to drop his current daycare and start up kindergarten at the university facility (1 block away from my office). I went with the strategy "uhm, how would you like to leave your current daycare place?" "you mean, leave my friends?" "Well, yea, that's the only bad part". "Where will I be going?" "You can get into Kindergarten where daddy works". "You mean, THE UNIVERSITY?".... I said "Yep, just like the big college kids!" "Oh boy, when can I start?" "Tomorrow, we can even go get a back pack at Walmart tonight. But do you mind leaving your old friends?" "Nope, they'll miss me but I'll get over it! So next morning, he's chest out, back pack almost as big as him, strutting down the sidewalk as we pass college kids on the way to their classes.

OK, fast forward, as he's progressing in golf as a junior at 10-12-14-16, I couldn't help but think getting him in a year early like that, did we 'screw him' out of perhaps an additional year of development, that he could have contended better if he was a year older, stronger, more golf-wiser at each level through high school and even his eventual play in Div II college golf? I always had that nagging thought in the back of my mind that he might have benefited more if we had passed on the early kindergarten start, but that's life....things worked out well; he had 4 years of college Div II, golf tuition-free, had to fight as the 4th-5th guy on the squad as the top 3 were basically a loock, but he went to 2 Div II National Championships (and so did we, it was fun watch).

> @CTgolf said:

> Hear about this from time to time in other sports, with Gladwell's "Outliers" talking about the impact birth month has for junior hockey.

>

> Any thoughts on impact for junior golf and recruiting?

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

> @bulls9999 said:

> Well, at the time our son was going through kindergarten, the local school system put a limit that you had to be a certain age by June 1st, but his birthday was August 3. So we thought he would have to wait another year to get into kindergarten (I guess is was because of space considerations that they started getting 'tough' on age for these little guys). OK, so we're already considering putting off kindergarten that leads to 1st grade. So, we were looking for a new daycare facility but I worked at a Big10 University that I knew had its own daycare (and kindergarten) under the supervision of graduate student child educational programs. So when I went to check about our child, we explained what happened and we asked if the had openings in daycare area. They asked, so you don't want him to start kindergarten, we have kindergarten too? (the nice thing about their kindergarten, it wasn't half-day like most public ones, it was full day... I could drop him off and pick him up after work).... we said yes, but his birthday isn't until August....they said, that doesn't affect us and we have an opening. So we said wow, great, when does it start?.... "Tomorrow"! So I had to figure how to get our little guy to drop his current daycare and start up kindergarten at the university facility (1 block away from my office). I went with the strategy "uhm, how would you like to leave your current daycare place?" "you mean, leave m friends?" "Well, yea, that's the only bad part". "Where will I be going?" "You can get into Kindergarten where daddy works". "You mean, THE UNIVERSITY?".... I said "Yep, just like the big college kids!" "Oh boy, when can I start?" "Tomorrow, we can even go get a back pack at Walmart tonight. But do you mind leaving your old friends?" "Nope, they'll miss me but I'll get over it! So next morning, he's chest out, back pack almost as big as him, strutting down the sidewalk as we pass college kids on the way to their classes.

>

> OK, fast forward, as he's progressing in golf as a junior at 10-12-14-16, I couldn't help but think getting him in a year early like that, did we 'screw him' out of perhaps an additional year of development, that he could have contended better if he was a year older, stronger, more golf-wiser at each level through high school and even his eventual play in Div II college golf? I always had that nagging thought in the back of my mind that he might have benefited more if we had passed on the early kindergarten start, but that's life....things worked out well; he had 4 years of college Div II, golf tuition-free, had to fight as the 4th-5th guy on the squad as the top 3 were basically a loock, but he went to 2 Div II National Championships (and so did we, it was fun watch).

>

> > @CTgolf said:

> > Hear about this from time to time in other sports, with Gladwell's "Outliers" talking about the impact birth month has for junior hockey.

> >

> > Any thoughts on impact for junior golf and recruiting?

>

>

Boy's should always delay their entry into school as long as they can. If they are a spring birthday, my opinion is they should stay back a year whether kindergarten or first grade to develop athletically. It will not hurt a kid to delay the process.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @bulls9999 said:

> >

> > > @CTgolf said:

> > > Hear about this from time to time in other sports, with Gladwell's "Outliers" talking about the impact birth month has for junior hockey.

> > >

> > > Any thoughts on impact for junior golf and recruiting?

>

> Boy's should always delay their entry into school as long as they can. If they are a spring birthday, my opinion is they should stay back a year whether kindergarten or first grade to develop athletically. It will not hurt a kid to delay the process.

I would agree with that; our son would have been competitively better athletically and academically for holding off 1 more year.

GHIN Index 12.9

> @bulls9999 said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @bulls9999 said:

> > >

> > > > @CTgolf said:

> > > > Hear about this from time to time in other sports, with Gladwell's "Outliers" talking about the impact birth month has for junior hockey.

> > > >

> > > > Any thoughts on impact for junior golf and recruiting?

>

> >

> > Boy's should always delay their entry into school as long as they can. If they are a spring birthday, my opinion is they should stay back a year whether kindergarten or first grade to develop athletically. It will not hurt a kid to delay the process.

>

> I would agree with that; our son would have been competitively better athletically and academically for holding off 1 more year.

Had I known then what I know now, my kid would still be an 8th grader this year.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @bulls9999 said:

> > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > @bulls9999 said:

> > > >

> > > > > @CTgolf said:

> > > > > Hear about this from time to time in other sports, with Gladwell's "Outliers" talking about the impact birth month has for junior hockey.

> > > > >

> > > > > Any thoughts on impact for junior golf and recruiting?

> >

> > >

> > > Boy's should always delay their entry into school as long as they can. If they are a spring birthday, my opinion is they should stay back a year whether kindergarten or first grade to develop athletically. It will not hurt a kid to delay the process.

> >

> > I would agree with that; our son would have been competitively better athletically and academically for holding off 1 more year.

>

> Had I known then what I know now, my kid would still be an 8th grader this year.

Assuming he could, what are the disadvantages of repeating a year? Are there any? Mostly social?

Yes, I would think there would be a social stigma associated with staying back a year, especially at a young age and more so if one didn't have to.

Imagine, all your friends have gone on to the next grade and you are held back; what reason would be given? Nah, I wouldn't go there; might do more harm than good.

> Assuming he could, what are the disadvantages of repeating a year? Are there any? Mostly social?

GHIN Index 12.9

> @bulls9999 said:

> Yes, I would think there would be a social stigma associated with staying back a year, especially at a young age and more so if one didn't have to.

> Imagine, all your friends have gone on to the next grade and you are held back; what reason would be given? Nah, I wouldn't go there; might do more harm than good.

>

> > @JuniorGolfParent said:

>

> > Assuming he could, what are the disadvantages of repeating a year? Are there any? Mostly social?

>

>

Similarly, my wife skipped a grade (4th I think) and said she would never allow or children to do that. Being the youngest in high school was the worst according to her.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @bulls9999 said:

> > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > > @bulls9999 said:

> > > > >

> > > > > > @CTgolf said:

> > > > > > Hear about this from time to time in other sports, with Gladwell's "Outliers" talking about the impact birth month has for junior hockey.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Any thoughts on impact for junior golf and recruiting?

> > >

> > > >

> > > > Boy's should always delay their entry into school as long as they can. If they are a spring birthday, my opinion is they should stay back a year whether kindergarten or first grade to develop athletically. It will not hurt a kid to delay the process.

> > >

> > > I would agree with that; our son would have been competitively better athletically and academically for holding off 1 more year.

> >

> > Had I known then what I know now, my kid would still be an 8th grader this year.

>

> Assuming he could, what are the disadvantages of repeating a year? Are there any? Mostly social?

I actually talked to several people about this. There is actually none for a boy. Girl's are a little different. Problem with my kid is that he is very good academically. Had I held him back this year he would have been bored out of his mind. 5 A's and 2 B's this 9 weeks in AP and honors classes. Weighted GPA is over a 4.0 and he is top 15 academically in his class. I think the only thing that would have been difficult was making new friends at a private school

If I could turn back the clock I would've held him back in pre school.

You guys are talking a different narrative than what I was talking about. I was suggesting jumping ahead or dropping back a year at the very beginning (i.e., kindergarten) and everything progresses naturally from then on. You guys are talking about holding a child back a year at a way later age ~junior high? How does one do that unless you get held back academically? Do you mean you can just go in and tell the principal that you think your son/daughter would do better repeating a year of school (so they could be more competitive in sports?), even though they have the grades to pass on? How does that work? (OK, I guess if you move to a different school district or another state, then you might get caught in a time warp at the new location? )

> @heavy_hitter said:

> I actually talked to several people about this. There is actually none for a boy. Girl's are a little different. Problem with my kid is that he is very good academically. Had I held him back this year he would have been bored out of his mind. 5 A's and 2 B's this 9 weeks in AP and honors classes. Weighted GPA is over a 4.0 and he is top 15 academically in his class. I think the only thing that would have been difficult was making new friends at a private school

>

> If I could turn back the clock I would've held him back in pre school.

GHIN Index 12.9

> @bulls9999 said:

> You guys are talking a different narrative than what I was talking about. I was suggesting jumping ahead or dropping back a year at the very beginning (i.e., kindergarten) and everything progresses naturally from then on. You guys are talking about holding a child back a year at a way later age ~junior high? How does one do that unless you get held back academically? Do you mean you can just go in and tell the principal that you think your son/daughter would do better repeating a year of school (so they could be more competitive in sports?), even though they have the grades to pass on? How does that work? (OK, I guess if you move to a different school district or another state, then you might get caught in a time warp at the new location? )

>

> > @heavy_hitter said:

>

> > I actually talked to several people about this. There is actually none for a boy. Girl's are a little different. Problem with my kid is that he is very good academically. Had I held him back this year he would have been bored out of his mind. 5 A's and 2 B's this 9 weeks in AP and honors classes. Weighted GPA is over a 4.0 and he is top 15 academically in his class. I think the only thing that would have been difficult was making new friends at a private school

> >

> > If I could turn back the clock I would've held him back in pre school.

>

>

In a perfect world I would hold my son back in pre school.

I actually stayed back in the 7th grade. My parents went to the principal and told them they were holding me back. She said "No". Dad went to the school board and long story short, I stayed back. Didn't effect me one bit.

If you want to stay back now you better do it in pre school, otherwise it is very difficult to pull off because of money to the school districts. About the only way to do it is home school or send to a private school.