2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2019 TOTO Japan Classic Nov 08 - 10

Argonne69

**Race to the CME Globe:** 500 Points

**Format:** 54 holes

**Purse:** $1,500,000

**Par:** 72

**Yardage:** 6,608

**History:** This is the 47th year for the event. In 2018, Nasa Hataoka closed with a 67, capped by a birdie on the final hole, to win by two strokes over Momoko Ueda, Saki Nagamine, and Carlota Ciganda.

**Coverage:**

Nov 07: The Golf Channel 10:00 pm - 1:00 am (ET)

Nov 08: The Golf Channel 10:30 pm - 1:30 am (ET)

Nov 09: The Golf Channel 9:30 pm - 12:30 am (ET)

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

This week we get to see some of the stars from the JLPGA, including Jiyai Shin, Sun-Ju Ahn, Seon Woo Bae, Teresa Lu, Mamiko Higa, Yui Kawamote (2020 LPGA rookie), Ai Suzuki, and of course Hinako Shibuno for the 2nd week in a row.

This is only a 3 round event, but at least we get live (or near real-time) coverage. The forecast looks decent with highs in the mid-60's, but mornings will be brisk with temps in the low to high 40's.

Fairly weak field this week with over half of the Top 20 sitting out (Jin Young, Sung Hyun, Nelly, Brooke, Danielle, Inbee, Sei Young, Carlota, Jessica, Lizette, and Amy).

My pick this week is Minjee. After the loss in the playoff on Sunday, she's got to be itching to pick up a 2nd trophy this season. Nasa should also play well at home. I expect Ai Suzuki and Jiyai to be in the mix as well.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

This is the first time Kristen Gillman is my pick to win; she should be ready, after all she's already played 24 tournaments this year.

Nelly Korda is No. 3 in the world; but Kristen is having a better rookie season than Nelly did in 2017. One may say Kristen is 22 while Nelly was 19 as rookies, but rookies are rookies.

Kristen has a good season, but in my opinion she hasn't given herself enough credit that she's good enough to win; this is the time to do it.

She won an JLPGA event as an amateur last year, she's comfortable playing in Japan.

Well folks looks like this is it before the grand finale. I like Nasa's chances at defending her title, but that would be 3 out of 4 on the Asian swing. Pretty crazy odds to me. I've been waiting all year, and it's time, Su Oh is going to hoist her first LPGA trophy. I'll be rooting for a few other first timers also Megan,Yu,and Angel.

I like Ariya, Nasa and Shanshan for contenders. Sleeper pick Charley Hull.

I'm hoping Ai Suzuki's result last year at Toto was due to an off week and not a course that doesn't suit her. She wins this week in a playoff with Hinako Shibuno.

This results helps them both. Ai needs to climb into the top 15 in the Rolex Rankings and Shibuno needs to maintain a place in the top 15 so Japan can get 3 representatives into the Olympics.

I live about an hour from this course. Seta Golf Course has 54 holes. And this is the 18 I haven't played. It's such a nice area to play golf. The course sits on a little ridge with nice views of the surrounding mountains and it feels like you are in the middle of nowhere, though Otsu lies across the river below. A lot of cool history to see in Otsu. 3 of the biggest temples in Japan and Kyoto is not far. There have been some major samurai battles along the river below the course and if you follow that river a ways you'll find Uji matcha tea plantations. I think a lot of shafts that are made come from the large Toray factory in Otsu too. I am kicking myself for not taking the time off to go there on Sunday. I will make sure to go next year.

Looks like Charley withdrew from the tournament.

Nice leaderboard. The JLPGA players are playing well. There are 19 players at in the top 10, and 7 play on the JLPGA. Ai Suzuki won last week, and has a share of the lead. She recently came off of an injury, and didn't waste any time getting back into it.

Pleasant surprise to see Lydia up there. Hope she can keep it up.

So Lexi's swing changes didn't go so well in the first round. 7 bogeys and eagles the last hole to shoot +2. Only hit 4 greens in regulation and still had 35 putts. Here's what she said about her swing changes.

What’s the swing change? Thompson said it has to do with her trademark tippy-toe lunge at impact.

“It’s just trying to get everything more in control,” she said. “I’m not obviously jumping as much. That’s always going to be a part of my golf swing, but I’ve realized I need to tame it down, to get more consistent with my golf swing and my shots. I’m thinking about not jumping as much. It’s kind of another move. It’s hard to describe.”

> @"North Texas" said:

> So Lexi's swing changes didn't go so well in the first round. 7 bogeys and eagles the last hole to shoot +2. Only hit 4 greens in regulation and still had 35 putts. Here's what she said about her swing changes.

>

> What’s the swing change? Thompson said it has to do with her trademark tippy-toe lunge at impact.

>

> “It’s just trying to get everything more in control,” she said. “I’m not obviously jumping as much. That’s always going to be a part of my golf swing, but I’ve realized I need to tame it down, to get more consistent with my golf swing and my shots. I’m thinking about not jumping as much. It’s kind of another move. It’s hard to describe.”

Smart move, work on the part of your game that wasn't all that bad. How's that putting Lexi? I see she changed back from the claw grip as well.

Are we going to have two non-LPGA winners on the Asian swing? Ai looks solid.

> @"North Texas" said:

> So Lexi's swing changes didn't go so well in the first round. 7 bogeys and eagles the last hole to shoot +2. Only hit 4 greens in regulation and still had 35 putts. Here's what she said about her swing changes.

>

> What’s the swing change? Thompson said it has to do with her trademark tippy-toe lunge at impact.

>

> “It’s just trying to get everything more in control,” she said. “I’m not obviously jumping as much. That’s always going to be a part of my golf swing, but I’ve realized I need to tame it down, to get more consistent with my golf swing and my shots. I’m thinking about not jumping as much. It’s kind of another move. It’s hard to describe.”

Follow up.

Looked in this morning on the leaderboard on the LPGA website and it shows she actually hit 14 greens in regulation yesterday not 4. She hit 14 again in the 2nd round and eagled 18 again for a 4 under 68.

Ai is looking like she won't be denied at home, Hannah could dangerous though, she is one with the ability to drop a low round if Ai isn't on. It would be a nice win for Ai, having LPGA status to get the LPGA ranking points would be the best option to ensure a spot on the Olympic team the year it's on home soil.

> @Stooch said:

> Ai is looking like she won't be denied at home, Hannah could dangerous though, she is one with the ability to drop a low round if Ai isn't on. It would be a nice win for Ai, having LPGA status to get the LPGA ranking points would be the best option to ensure a spot on the Olympic team the year it's on home soil.

An Ai win is going to make the race with Shibuno for the second spot quite tight. Ai could jump to ~18th or so vs. Shibuno at 13th. The big difference then being if one of them plays the LPGA tour next year and the other does not. While probably technically possible, I wouldn't want to count on both of them holding down a spot in the Top 15 only playing the JLPGA next year.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @Stooch said:

> > Ai is looking like she won't be denied at home, Hannah could dangerous though, she is one with the ability to drop a low round if Ai isn't on. It would be a nice win for Ai, having LPGA status to get the LPGA ranking points would be the best option to ensure a spot on the Olympic team the year it's on home soil.

> An Ai win is going to make the race with Shibuno for the second spot quite tight. Ai could jump to ~18th or so vs. Shibuno at 13th. The big difference then being if one of them plays the LPGA tour next year and the other does not. While probably technically possible, I wouldn't want to count on both of them holding down a spot in the Top 15 only playing the JLPGA next year.

Yes. it seems like this tournament is for Ai's to lose. Pretty much have it on the backpocket.

Let's see if either one of them "caves in" and joins the LPGA- as Shanshan mentioned in her interview yesterday, there's quite a few reasons why JLPGA players enjoy their own tour: amongst them a) not a lot of travel (relative to LPGA), b) can visit their home/family on say, Sunday night up to even Wednesday morning every week, c) Purse is close to comparable to LPGA on quite a few events (and even beats it on some events),etc

If any, I hope it's Shibuno who ends up in the LPGA - inking a recent sponsorship with Japan Air Lines this week is a good sign (for me, a wishful thinker) that she may (hopefully) reconsider what she just stated during interviews on this specific question in last week's pre-tournament media day at the Swinging Skirts in Taiwan.

> @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> I live about an hour from this course. Seta Golf Course has 54 holes. And this is the 18 I haven't played. It's such a nice area to play golf. The course sits on a little ridge with nice views of the surrounding mountains and it feels like you are in the middle of nowhere, though Otsu lies across the river below. A lot of cool history to see in Otsu. 3 of the biggest temples in Japan and Kyoto is not far. There have been some major samurai battles along the river below the course and if you follow that river a ways you'll find Uji matcha tea plantations. I think a lot of shafts that are made come from the large Toray factory in Otsu too. I am kicking myself for not taking the time off to go there on Sunday. I will make sure to go next year.

I recommend going! The JLPGA is holding the 2020 ladies' open near to where I live (at The Classic, a course I've played), and I'll definitely be going, hopefully with my daughter. I went to the men's Open this year at Koga, and it was great fun, and really quite cheap.

The day before, I went to the England-Australia quarter final of the rugby World Cup in Oita, and spent about 10 times more than what I spent at the Japan Open the next day.

Both great experiences, and both left me hungry for more. There's something to be said for watching sport live. The rugby was thrilling, the golf more leisurely, but good in its own way. More of a pleasant way to spend a day.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @Stooch said:

> > Ai is looking like she won't be denied at home, Hannah could dangerous though, she is one with the ability to drop a low round if Ai isn't on. It would be a nice win for Ai, having LPGA status to get the LPGA ranking points would be the best option to ensure a spot on the Olympic team the year it's on home soil.

> An Ai win is going to make the race with Shibuno for the second spot quite tight. Ai could jump to ~18th or so vs. Shibuno at 13th. The big difference then being if one of them plays the LPGA tour next year and the other does not. While probably technically possible, I wouldn't want to count on both of them holding down a spot in the Top 15 only playing the JLPGA next year.

Plus a non-member if Ai wins, it should get her into the CME Finale, not 100% on that they have changed the playoff rules several time but when Brooke won as a non-member it got her into the CME and there's big cash and nice points available there too.

> @Newinup said:

> Let's see if either one of them "caves in" and joins the LPGA- as Shanshan mentioned in her interview yesterday, there's quite a few reasons why JLPGA players enjoy their own tour: amongst them a) not a lot of travel (relative to LPGA), b) can visit their home/family on say, Sunday night up to even Wednesday morning every week, c) Purse is close to comparable to LPGA on quite a few events (and even beats it on some events),etc

Add d) much better food!

> @agolf1 said:

> > @Stooch said:

Hyo Joo Kim could very well drop Shibuno to No. 14 with a solo second.

> @18majors said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > > @Stooch said:

> > > Ai is looking like she won't be denied at home, Hannah could dangerous though, she is one with the ability to drop a low round if Ai isn't on. It would be a nice win for Ai, having LPGA status to get the LPGA ranking points would be the best option to ensure a spot on the Olympic team the year it's on home soil.

> > An Ai win is going to make the race with Shibuno for the second spot quite tight. Ai could jump to ~18th or so vs. Shibuno at 13th. The big difference then being if one of them plays the LPGA tour next year and the other does not. While probably technically possible, I wouldn't want to count on both of them holding down a spot in the Top 15 only playing the JLPGA next year.

>

> Hyo Joo Kim could very well drop Shibuno to No. 14 with a solo second.

It's amazing how fast things can change. I think a few weeks ago we (myself included) were all thinking Shibuno was a near lock!

> @agolf1 said:

> > @18majors said:

> > > @agolf1 said:

> > > > @Stooch said:

> > > > Ai is looking like she won't be denied at home, Hannah could dangerous though, she is one with the ability to drop a low round if Ai isn't on. It would be a nice win for Ai, having LPGA status to get the LPGA ranking points would be the best option to ensure a spot on the Olympic team the year it's on home soil.

> > > An Ai win is going to make the race with Shibuno for the second spot quite tight. Ai could jump to ~18th or so vs. Shibuno at 13th. The big difference then being if one of them plays the LPGA tour next year and the other does not. While probably technically possible, I wouldn't want to count on both of them holding down a spot in the Top 15 only playing the JLPGA next year.

> >

> > Hyo Joo Kim could very well drop Shibuno to No. 14 with a solo second.

> It's amazing how fast things can change. I think a few weeks ago we (myself included) were all thinking Shibuno was a near lock!

If Shibuno needs proof as to why the US LPGA will be a better "league" towards ensuring her dream of playing in the Tokyo Olympics, she need look no further than tomorrow's results and the corresponding world ranking points that are awarded her and her competitors...

> @Stooch said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > > @Stooch said:

> > > Ai is looking like she won't be denied at home, Hannah could dangerous though, she is one with the ability to drop a low round if Ai isn't on. It would be a nice win for Ai, having LPGA status to get the LPGA ranking points would be the best option to ensure a spot on the Olympic team the year it's on home soil.

> > An Ai win is going to make the race with Shibuno for the second spot quite tight. Ai could jump to ~18th or so vs. Shibuno at 13th. The big difference then being if one of them plays the LPGA tour next year and the other does not. While probably technically possible, I wouldn't want to count on both of them holding down a spot in the Top 15 only playing the JLPGA next year.

>

> Plus a non-member if Ai wins, it should get her into the CME Finale, not 100% on that they have changed the playoff rules several time but when Brooke won as a non-member it got her into the CME and there's big cash and nice points available there too.

That may have been when the 3 best players per tournament who hadn’t already qualified got in. I remember Lorena technically qualified one year for playing her event after she retired. Annika and her still have status on the LPGA tour. In any case, they later changed the rules for no cut events and eventually did away with the 3 per event format.