Anybody medium-long hitters using a 7w?

MelloYello ·  
MelloYelloMelloYello Upstate, SC 3613Members Posts: 3,613

I'm currently in an on-going mission to sort out my fairway situation. I've spent some decent money thus far, but I'm bound and determined to get it absolutely right so I don't have to look back over the next few years playing this stuff. Despite some turnover in the bag this year, I'm very much a set-it-and-forget-it type of guy. Sorting out my fairways is really the last step for me.

I like what I have but the 3w may be redundant. My tee clubs usually consist of a driver which I hit about 275-280 in good conditions and a fairway finder (5w) which goes about 230-ish off the tee. The 3w is often the odd man out. I just don't need it a lot of the time.

So I'm wondering if maybe the more practical combination might be a 5w & 7w?

I'm toying with a Titleist hybrid I got for $40 off the used rack and so far I like the forgiveness but I'm inconsistent with it. I think a 7w might be a cool thing to try. I've seen a couple guys on Tour use them.

Anyone out there doing something like that?

Posted:
Driver: M3 (10.5) w. Tensei CK Pro Orange (60-TX)
3w: M6 (15) w. Tensei CK Pro Orange (70-TX)
5w: M6 (18) w. Tensei CK Pro Orange (80-TX)
Hyb: 818 H1 (23)
Irons: 716 CB w. DG AMT S300 
Wedges: SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
Putter: Newport 2 Select

Comments

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • VNutzVNutz  6401Members Posts: 6,401

@MelloYello said:
    I'm currently in an on-going mission to sort out my fairway situation. I've spent some decent money thus far, but I'm bound and determined to get it absolutely right so I don't have to look back over the next few years playing this stuff. Despite some turnover in the bag this year, I'm very much a set-it-and-forget-it type of guy. Sorting out my fairways is really the last step for me.

I like what I have but the 3w may be redundant. My tee clubs usually consist of a driver which I hit about 275-280 in good conditions and a fairway finder (5w) which goes about 230-ish off the tee. The 3w is often the odd man out. I just don't need it a lot of the time.

So I'm wondering if maybe the more practical combination might be a 5w & 7w?

I'm toying with a Titleist hybrid I got for $40 off the used rack and so far I like the forgiveness but I'm inconsistent with it. I think a 7w might be a cool thing to try. I've seen a couple guys on Tour use them.

Anyone out there doing something like that?

I don't do it currently, but I did so for quite some time, with distance numbers similar to yours. I've always been a lower ball hitter, so the 4w/7w combo has worked very well going back 20 some years. Some people are scared off by the stigma of a "seniors" club, but if it suits your game you can't argue with the results.

Posted:
  • blkjazzblkjazz  329Members Posts: 329

I went with a 4 wood (917 16.5) and 7 wood (917 21) earlier this year. I like both but absolutely love the 7 wood.

Posted:
    Titleist 917 D2 9.5 deg.
    Titleist 917F 16.5 deg.
    Titleist 917F 21 deg.
    Titleist 718 AP3 4-48 deg. wedge
    Titleist Vokey SM7 52 deg.
    Titleist Vokey SM7 58 deg.
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2
  • MelloYelloMelloYello Upstate, SC 3613Members Posts: 3,613

@Argonne69 said:
    A 4w / 7w combination would likely be better. You have a 45+ yd gap between your driver and 5w.

Well, I don't think I want to totally get rid of both my 3w and 5w. My thought was maybe I'd get rid of the 3w (head) to fund the 7w and swap the shafts around a little to have a 18* option to hit tee shots and and a 21* option which would be a 2i/3i replacement.

My thing is, besides going all out with a driver, I just don't seem to ever actually need anything stronger than a 5w during rounds of golf. And TBH, the 45-yd gap is pretty easy to fill. I can always shorten the driver shots by hitting a spinny cut that lands at about 250. That's always in the arsenal for me. And if I ever really feel like going for a green from 250 out (which I would never do unless it was clear and open) I can simply hit driver off the deck. I tried that a few times recently and while it doesn't get much height it's a speedy, low bullet that goes straighter than any 3w I'm going to hit.

So I'm kind of at that point where any given shot I might hit with a 3w can be accomplished with something else I already have (and use a lot more).

Posted:
    Driver: M3 (10.5) w. Tensei CK Pro Orange (60-TX)
    3w: M6 (15) w. Tensei CK Pro Orange (70-TX)
    5w: M6 (18) w. Tensei CK Pro Orange (80-TX)
    Hyb: 818 H1 (23)
    Irons: 716 CB w. DG AMT S300 
    Wedges: SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
    Putter: Newport 2 Select
  • nitramnitram Take Dead Aim  5242Members Posts: 5,242

Get you a 7WD. You'll never know 'til you give it a go.

Posted:
    Epic Flash SZ 3D 10.5 Diamana ZF 60S
    Epic SZ Tour 13.5 Accra TZ6 75 M5
    Exotics CB2 18* Matrix Ozik TP8HDX
    PING S55 4-9 DGTI X100
    Callaway MD4 Raw 46S, 52S, 56W, 60C DGTI 115
    Bettinardi Tour DASS Minovai 2.0
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16  8136Members Posts: 8,136

Doesn't Keith Mitchell use a 7w? Dude is one of the longest on tour. I think more than anything it has to do with what flight you want to see, and the purpose of the club how your club delivery. My guess is he never uses it off the tee (or in very limited cases, like ultra long par 3's) and it's purely for par 5's. Maybe he's a big de-lofter of that club so he gets a nice penatrating flight but with enough launch to stop it quickly on greens. Maybe a long iron just wouldn't spin/launch enough for him.

It's probably one of those things you'll need to buy used off eBay and try it out for yourself, I've never seen 7 woods in store.

Posted:
    D - Epic SZ | HZRDUS Smoke Black
    4w - '16 Tour Issue M1 | Diamana B Series
    UNDECIDED
    Irons - MP-20 SEL 4-PW | Modus 120
    GW - T20 50/7 | Modus 120
    SW - T20 54/8 | Modus 120
    LW - T20 58/12 | Modus Wedge 125
    P - Bettinardi 360-M
    Ball - ProV1x

Advertisement
  • MooMoo  430Members Posts: 430

Medium-long? I hit driver 250 with ease and can push it to 270-280 when I need it. Don't know if that is medium-long.

I love my 7 wood. It gets play every round, while my 3 wood might get action every other round. Finding a 7 wood with a stiff shaft is more work, but they are out there.

I use the 915 F with the stock Diamana Blue shaft in stiff. I get an easy and fairly precise 210 out of it with no effort. I can push it up a little bit and get a bit more, but by gripping down I can get a nice high 195.

Is it more accurate than an iron? No, but I hit the 7 wood from ALL types of turf with a much, much higher success percentage.

After my wedges, the 7 wood is my favorite club. It's really worth giving a try and I do not miss the 3 iron.

Posted:
    Driver TS2 (first driver in 9 years that could out the trusty 910 D2)
    Ping i3+ Blades (backup set Mizuno MP 54 P-4 which are now in cold storage until the end of time)
    Rogue 3 wood with Evenflow Blue (so easy to hit high and long...Evenflow rules!)
    Rogue 5 wood with Evenflow Blue
    Titleist 915 F 7 wood (the incredible Hedgehog...there is no turf that can stop the Hedgehog!)
    Miura 56 K
    Vokey gap and 62 M
    Ping Vault Ketsch 2.0
  • b.mattayb.mattay New WRX'er  551Members Posts: 551

I play a Sonartec GS Tour 19 degree at 41.5”, so kind of a 5 wood/7 wood combo following my M5 3 Wood at 13.5 degrees. I swing 118-119 for what it is worth, with a carry distance right around 300 with Driver. I absolutely love my Sonartec for coming into Par 5’s!

Posted:
    2017 M1 (8.25, Grafalloy Blue 65X, Z-Cord)

M5 (13.5, Grafalloy Blue 75X, Z-Cord)

Sonartec GS Tour (18, Fujikura 370X, Z-Cord)

712 CB (4-P, X100, Z-Cord, 1 Degree Flat)

SM6 (51.13F, 55.15F, 60.12V, S400, Z-Cord, 1 Degree Flat)

Spider Tour Black (35 inches, Garsen Ultimate Grip)
  • balls_deepballs_deep Wanna earn 14 bucks the hard way? 1516Members Posts: 1,516

I tried one for a minute (made a similarly titled thread). I hit a high ball and play in wind quite a bit. I hit it to the moon it just doesn’t work for my game. 19* hybrid is much better.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5° Project X Evenflow White 6.5x 62g
    Titleist 917F2 15.75°  Project X HZRDUS Handcrafted Black 6.0 75g
    Titleist 818 H1 19° Project X HZRDUS Handcrafted Black 6.0 85g
    Srixon z785 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
    Vokey SM7 52F 56F 60D Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M 35"
    Pro V1x/Snell MTB-X
    Currently - 5.6

• cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to Canada 12854Members Posts: 12,854

16/17 and 19/20 is a wicked fairway combo. Did it for years

The heavenwood v-series and g25 are my two favorites

Make sure you keep a 22h though. Hybrids hit many shots that you can't hit with fairways

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65 06
    Callaway Xhot 3 Deep 14.5* Fubuki 73x
    Callaway GBB 5w 17* Aldila NVS 85x 
    Callaway Apex v1 3h 20* AD DI 95x
    Cally Apex v1 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x
    Mizuno 919T 6-G UST Recoil 95 f4 
    Vokey sm2 54*m & 59*m TVD 
    Callaway PM 64* UST 110 f4
    Yes Donna

'19 Index 0.9 ~ 3.7
  • AG12AG12  1476Members Posts: 1,476

I had a 21* TS2 7 wood that I gamed breifly but as others have mentioned and @balls_deep I just hit the thing too high. I dont play in windy conditions but it was hard to control distance out of not so good lies. Felt the hybrid of the same loft is a lot more versatile and can hit a mixture of different types of shots with it.

Posted:
    Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei Pro White 60S
    Titleist TS2 15* Tensei Pro White 70S
    Titleist TS2 21* Tensei AV Blue 70HY
    TaylorMade P790 '19 4-PW Project X LZ 120
    PING Glide 3.0 50SS/54SS DG S200
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58*/ATV KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 
    TaylorMade Spider X Navy 
    Titleist ProV1x #27
    WITB

Advertisement
  • ChipNRunChipNRun  1753Members Posts: 1,753

@Argonne69 said:
    A 4w / 7w combination would likely be better. You have a 45+ yd gap between your driver and 5w.

I have been using this combo for the past 7 years.

As far as "medium-long hitters" using a 7W, tour pros Jason Dufner, Keith Mitchell and Scott Stallings carry one. (By chance all are 21° Titleist models.)

In a September Golf Digest article, Stallings says the 7W is a lot more versatile than a driving iron or a crossover.

Posted:
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr.
           4i refitted with SteelFiber 780 HLS Hybrid shaft R Flex 75 gr.
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS + MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) / 34" w. Ping Pistol PP60 grip (stock)
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperHot - orange
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • balls_deepballs_deep Wanna earn 14 bucks the hard way? 1516Members Posts: 1,516

@ChipNRun said:

@Argonne69 said:

I have been using this combo for the past 7 years.

As far as "medium-long hitters" using a 7W, tour pros Jason Dufner, Keith Mitchell and Scott Stallings carry one. (By chance all are 21° Titleist models.)

In a September Golf Digest article, Stallings says the 7W is a lot more versatile than a driving iron or a crossover.

From memory though Scott hits a low ball and has crazy low launch. I remember watching his WITB with MC and he had the front of his irons grinded off a la Srixon because of how crazy his AoA was. If you need height in the long end of the bag it is a fantastic option

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5° Project X Evenflow White 6.5x 62g
    Titleist 917F2 15.75°  Project X HZRDUS Handcrafted Black 6.0 75g
    Titleist 818 H1 19° Project X HZRDUS Handcrafted Black 6.0 85g
    Srixon z785 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
    Vokey SM7 52F 56F 60D Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M 35"
    Pro V1x/Snell MTB-X
    Currently - 5.6

• bulls9999bulls9999 GHIN Index = 12.8 826Members Posts: 826

I have a Callaway Heavenwood (7-wood) and it's as my 5-wood, I think because I can get it up so high it just carries more, but it's so easy to hit. My 3-wood is getting jealous in the garage closet; I take it out for a spin on the range before play every now and then, but it never makes it onto the course. Last sunday, my 4 best shots of the day were all with the 3-wood.... 2 par-3's, a par-4 where I was in parallel fairway and went over a pond and a stand of trees and onto the green, pin high; another was 18th hole, 200 yrds to green, down wind, landed on front edge but rolled out to back of the green. I'm hardly ever on that green in 2. I wish I can find a hybrid that I can hit as easy as that 7-wood.

Posted:
    GHIN Index 13.8
  • ephmenephmen  237Members Posts: 237

Low ball hitter, love my 7 wood! Ping G25

Posted:
  • agolf1agolf1  1796Members Posts: 1,796

@Moo said:
    Medium-long? I hit driver 250 with ease and can push it to 270-280 when I need it. Don't know if that is medium-long.

I love my 7 wood. It gets play every round, while my 3 wood might get action every other round. Finding a 7 wood with a stiff shaft is more work, but they are out there.

I use the 915 F with the stock Diamana Blue shaft in stiff. I get an easy and fairly precise 210 out of it with no effort. I can push it up a little bit and get a bit more, but by gripping down I can get a nice high 195.

Is it more accurate than an iron? No, but I hit the 7 wood from ALL types of turf with a much, much higher success percentage.

After my wedges, the 7 wood is my favorite club. It's really worth giving a try and I do not miss the 3 iron.

I also have a 21 degree 915 F with the same shaft. I only fly it about 200 though.

For me, I am about indifferent between fairway and hybrid at this loft. The fairway goes farther and higher and I like it more off the fairway or light rough. The hybrid, with the smaller head and shorter shaft, is better for recovery shots from bad lies /stances.

The 21 degree 915 F I have is tipped 1.5 inches, which Titleist said is there standard but it is more than what MRC recommends. The club actually feels quite a bit stiffer than the 16.5 degree with the same shaft but the ball flight is ok on the 21 degree for me (high but not too high). Although I don't have the swing speed to make height /spin a big problem.

Posted:
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)

Advertisement
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_Japan 5717Members Posts: 5,717

4w-7w-23* hybrid for me (or even a 9w sometimes instead of the hybrid)
    The 7w is just so easy to hit from the tee or off the deck.
    My 4w is 17*, my 7w 21*. I'm not hitting the 4w off the turf much these days, so I've been toying with the idea of a slightly stronger lofted club (e.g. 16* Tight Lies) for use daily off the tee.
    But the 7w will stay.

Edit: and before back issues earlier this year, I'd have described myself as a medium-long hitter, with driver SS at 110mph+.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Wilson fg-62 S300 4/5-PW or MP4 Yoro Modus 125X 5-PW
    Wedges: Callaway MD2 T-grind combination of 52*, 56*, 58*, 60*
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 
  • MooMoo  430Members Posts: 430

For me, I am about indifferent between fairway and hybrid at this loft. The fairway goes farther and higher and I like it more off the fairway or light rough. The hybrid, with the smaller head and shorter shaft, is better for recovery shots from bad lies /stances.

The 21 degree 915 F I have is tipped 1.5 inches, which Titleist said is there standard but it is more than what MRC recommends. The club actually feels quite a bit stiffer than the 16.5 degree with the same shaft but the ball flight is ok on the 21 degree for me (high but not too high). Although I don't have the swing speed to make height /spin a big problem.

I basically agree with your perspective on all these topics. I don't prefer hybrids, so I've found a fairway that works for me. The 915F head cuts through most anything fairly well, but of course it won't go through something like fescue.

I didn't know the specs for tipping the Diamana S+, but that makes sense. I find it to be an acceptable shaft for a fairway, but I could not play it in a driver. In the fairway it loads smoothly and it's very workable with the Titleist head. If I make any changes to the bag for next year, I might put an Evenflow Blue 75 on the 915F, as I love that shaft in fairways (again, could never play it in a driver).

What matters most is that you've found the combination that works best for you. I think the 915F is a fantastic club and you can get them in great condition for a song. They make a nice crack when you hit them on the screws too.

Posted:
    Driver TS2 (first driver in 9 years that could out the trusty 910 D2)
    Ping i3+ Blades (backup set Mizuno MP 54 P-4 which are now in cold storage until the end of time)
    Rogue 3 wood with Evenflow Blue (so easy to hit high and long...Evenflow rules!)
    Rogue 5 wood with Evenflow Blue
    Titleist 915 F 7 wood (the incredible Hedgehog...there is no turf that can stop the Hedgehog!)
    Miura 56 K
    Vokey gap and 62 M
    Ping Vault Ketsch 2.0
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC  2440ClubWRX Posts: 2,440

Definitely can get you great results but in my experience the stronger the player the more you have to find the right shaft to get the flight you want with a 7 wood. A lot of these clubs seem paired with shafts designed for players who need launch help with all clubs.

I put a tipped 72 gram stiff Accra RPG Z shaft in a Titleist 917 7 W (21 degrees) and that stopped the moonshots. Don’t need to hit this club hard. Stock swing and it goes high and long, will stop quickly on a green. I think one key is to swing them smooth like a 7 iron. If I get after it, it just goes higher, not really longer. I like it better than a hybrid or clunky driving iron and I’d only pull it if I found a hollow-headed iron like the p790, Cobra Forged Tec, Maltby TS1/TS2, Mizuno HMB, etc., that I could consistently hit as far. But I’m all woods and irons, no more hybrid.

Posted:
    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
  • uglandeuglande  208Members Posts: 208

Just pull the trigger on the 7 wood and then wait to make your next move after putting it through its paces. I love my 917 F2 4-wood and 7-wood. The 7 was my favorite club in the bag the past two seasons. It's not going anywhere.

Posted:

• uglandeuglande  208Members Posts: 208

@uglande said:
    Just pull the trigger on the 7 wood and then wait to make your next move after putting it through its paces. I love my 917 F2 4-wood and 7-wood. The 7 was my favorite club in the bag the past two seasons. It's not going anywhere.

I agree with dmeeksDC, you'll generally want a lower launching (and probably heavier) shaft with a 7 wood.(I use Diamana White, 80g) to keep the peak height in the right window. And beware of some manufacturers whose 7 woods are designed to launch the ball to the sky. I like the Titleist 917 and there are several of these being played on tour.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • StonewalledStonewalled  1564Members Posts: 1,564

Ping G400. 7 and 9 wood. Love those clubs. First HIO this year with the 9 wood, 195 to centre, back pin. Going to be buried with that 9 wood someday:)

Posted:
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 28552Members Posts: 28,552

I play a 4 hybrid as a 5 wood spot. Why ? It goes the distance I need a 5 wood to go. I had the 410 3 hybrid and it simply went too far.

Posted:
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  4-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  50  54 60 s400
    Cameron ICC prototype CT Fastback Armlock.  42 inch with jumbo max 17 inch  grip.   

• kgkkgk Slapshot  1285Members Posts: 1,285

I did the 7 wood thing for a while. It went so high it was nearly unplayable in any wind. Was cool when calm though - I could hit that thing straight up in the air.

Posted:
  • RogerinNewZealandRogerinNewZealand Maungakeikei Auckland New Zealand 2632Members Posts: 2,632

Bought 904f 22 degree a few months ago after trying lots of r11 r15 m1 and Adams Hybrids..... great club.

Posted:
    2019 25 October
     Ping G5 10.5 zcom 65
    T.E.E XCG6 16.5 Fubuki
    V Steel 5 PLPlatinum
    Titleist 904f 22 YS6
    Mizuno MP 63 DGR300 at D4

Old SM at 54 and SM6 58S 10
    Scotty ProPlatinum
    DarkTanTitleistCap

• ALIFALIF Arizona 2640Members Posts: 2,640

21 degree 7 wood or 20 degree Ping G 700 4 iron depending on wind.

Posted:
    $$$$

Advertisement
  • slimreaper30slimreaper30  24Members Posts: 24

i have a 7 wood, but like others said mine hits pretty high

Posted:
  • Argonne69Argonne69  22873Members Posts: 22,873

@MelloYello said:

@Argonne69 said:

Well, I don't think I want to totally get rid of both my 3w and 5w. My thought was maybe I'd get rid of the 3w (head) to fund the 7w and swap the shafts around a little to have a 18* option to hit tee shots and and a 21* option which would be a 2i/3i replacement.

My thing is, besides going all out with a driver, I just don't seem to ever actually need anything stronger than a 5w during rounds of golf. And TBH, the 45-yd gap is pretty easy to fill. I can always shorten the driver shots by hitting a spinny cut that lands at about 250. That's always in the arsenal for me. And if I ever really feel like going for a green from 250 out (which I would never do unless it was clear and open) I can simply hit driver off the deck. I tried that a few times recently and while it doesn't get much height it's a speedy, low bullet that goes straighter than any 3w I'm going to hit.

So I'm kind of at that point where any given shot I might hit with a 3w can be accomplished with something else I already have (and use a lot more).

Swapping shafts is definitely an option. Put the 3w shaft on the 5w, and you add a few yards. Choke down an inch and it's back to a 5w.

Posted:
  • Argonne69Argonne69  22873Members Posts: 22,873

@uglande said:

@uglande said:

I agree with dmeeksDC, you'll generally want a lower launching (and probably heavier) shaft with a 7 wood.(I use Diamana White, 80g) to keep the peak height in the right window. And beware of some manufacturers whose 7 woods are designed to launch the ball to the sky. I like the Titleist 917 and there are several of these being played on tour.

So true. Good luck finding a used 7w with a stiff shaft. Most have high launching senior shafts in them. The OP sounds open to experimenting, so I'd take the 3w shaft, put it in the 5w, and then pick up a 7w head and put the 5w shaft in it to start.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Back9Back9  712ClubWRX Posts: 712

I have had better results with a hybrid than a fairway wood in the 19-22 degree range. I prefer the shorter shaft and lower launch of a hybrid, easier to hit my target. If you are a low ball hitter and need the launch of a fairway wood I think that is a better option for you.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file