We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.
***11/16/2019 Attention GolfWRX community. If you had to reset your forum password, please see info below. ***

GolfWRX was informed of a potential issue and in an effort to be proactive, passwords were reset for some users. Please use the forget password recovery link: https://forums.golfwrx.com/entry/passwordrequest

Please email [email protected] if further help is required. We're sorry for any inconvenience.

NEW PING iBLADE IN 2020?

uglande ·  
uglandeuglande  218Members Posts: 218

I was a fan of the Ping iBlade and am intrigued by the Blueprint but think it might be a little much for me, especially in the longer irons. It's tiny and razor thin. It seems like a very tour-focused design, and yet the i210 is more of a low-mid handicapper iron. This leaves Ping without a player's club for the non-scratch golfer in its lineup. Any news about an update to the iBlade or some similar offering from Ping in 2020?

Posted:
08.25 - TaylorMade M5 (Project X Hzrdus Yellow)
13.50 - TaylorMade OO (Project X Hzrdus Yellow)
16.50 - Titleist 917 F2 (Diamana White)
21.00 - Titleist 917 F2 (Diamana White)
23.00 - Titleist U-500 (Project X Hzrdus Black)

45.00 - Titleist Vokey SM7-F
50.00 - Titleist Vokey SM7-F
54.00 - Titleist Vokey SM7-S
60.00 - Titleist Vokey SM7-D
Putter - TaylorMade Spider Center-Shafted
Ball - Titleist ProV1x #68

Comments

• gopherlovergopherlover  42Members Posts: 42

As of right now there has not been any official talk from Ping about and iBlade replacement, but I guarantee you are far from the only person who does not feel served by Ping's current offerings. I have played pings all my life and currently play the S55's. I'm looking to replace them and I would definitely jump on an iblade 2.0, but I don't want to purchase an iron that's 3 years old already.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • 1Mordrid11Mordrid1  733Members Posts: 733

I think the idea at PING was that with the i210, i500 and Blueprint irons, that all of the low to mid-low handicap players would be covered. And I know they sold quite a few i500s around release, but the loyalty to the i500 does not seem to be high. So from a sales standpoint the i500 might be considered a success because of the early sales, but that may not be sustainable for the usual PING 2 year cycle. Hopefully PING sees this and will have a better replacement for the i500 or the iBlade before the full 2 years from the i500 release date.

Posted:
    WITB

PXG  0811x Oban Tour Limited 04
    Callaway Rogue 4 wood w/ Oban Kiyoshi White 4 65g
    Nike Sasquatch Sumo #4 hybrid(cut down 1") w/ H Diamana s
    Srixon U65 20° Miyazaki Kaula 7 s
    PXG 0211 irons 5-G True Temper Elevate 95 S (1°flat 1°weak D4)
    PING Glide 3.0 TS 56/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    PING Glide 3.0 SS 60/KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    PXG 400 gram Bat Attack putter(double bend shaft)
    Snell MTB Black
  • balls_deepballs_deep Wanna earn 14 bucks the hard way? 1613Members Posts: 1,613

I believe iBlade 2.0 was trademarked. Whether or not that means there is one coming I’m not sure. If it was slightly less offset and spun less I’d be all over it. Great sticks.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5° Project X Evenflow White 6.5x 62g
    Titleist 917F2 15.75°  Project X HZRDUS Handcrafted Black 6.0 75g
    Titleist 818 H1 19° Project X HZRDUS Handcrafted Black 6.0 85g
    Mizuno MP-20 MB 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
    Vokey SM7 50F 56M 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M 35"
    Pro V1x
    Currently - 5.6

• IvyguyIvyguy  1574Members Posts: 1,574

Ping has been pretty firm about only releasing new iterations when they can beat the prior generation.... iBlade is still current to them.

Posted:
  • uglandeuglande  218Members Posts: 218

@Ivyguy said:
    Ping has been pretty firm about only releasing new iterations when they can beat the prior generation.... iBlade is still current to them.

I disagree about the last thing you said. Ping iBlade came out three years ago. That's not "current" by any manufacturer's standard, and they are no longer taking custom orders.

Posted:

The gap between i210 and Blueprint is huge. Cameron Champ said he couldn't even play the 4 iron in the Blueprint. At the same time, very few pros are bagging i210 (except as a long iron club). It would be like Titleist only offering the MB and T200. There is no Ping equivalent for the CB or T100 in their lineup right now. I would be surprised if we didn't see something to fill that gap next year. Or at least I'm hoping.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • leftycabeleftycabe Iowa 86ClubWRX Posts: 86

I would be all over a new iblade or a reiteration if the i210. Ive been looking at moving on from the i210s lately. The performance of the i210s have been excellent for me, so I keep asking myself what is driving my desire to change and I have narrowed it down to:

1.) I wish the sole was less thick. I’m okay with the amount of bounce but the sole thickness can seem a bit cumbersome.

2.) I love the angles/shape of the 4-6 irons. They started rounding the clubhead (specifically the toe) on the 8 (possibly 7) iron and it feels like two different sets. I see the angles stay in the new blueprint irons all the way through and I love that shape and look but not sure I have the game for them.

3.) I’m not a fan of the esthetics of the back side of the club. I have owned the 200s and 210s (currently) but the look and design of the cavity section leaves a lot to be desired. I know it’s about performance, but I do think about this and it does mean something to me.

I owned the iblades for a short time a while ago and felt the softness of the i210s made them superior (for me) and sold them off. I also owned the s55s and 56s and wish I would have never sold the 55s.

@PING - please make an iteration of the iblades that is as soft as the i210s and as good looking as the blueprints!!!!! I will be your first customer 😀

Posted:
  • Meerkat213Meerkat213  92Members Posts: 92

I really wish PING would release a stealth-finish i210-esque set like their wedge offerings. That would be tremendous.

Posted:

M2 Driver Fuji Motore Tour Spec
    M2 3W Aldila Rogue Silver
    Ping Rapture Hybrids 18/21
    Ping Glide wedges 50/54/58
    Odyssey #7 CS

• ForeleftForeleft  2179Members Posts: 2,179

@uglande said:
    The gap between i210 and Blueprint is huge. Cameron Champ said he couldn't even play the 4 iron in the Blueprint. At the same time, very few pros are bagging i210 (except as a long iron club). It would be like Titleist only offering the MB and T200. There is no Ping equivalent for the CB or T100 in their lineup right now. I would be surprised if we didn't see something to fill that gap next year. Or at least I'm hoping.

It is not accurate to say that very few pros bag the i210 throughout the set. A visit to Ping.com or even the weekly PGA WITB says otherwise.

Posted:

@Foreleft said:

@uglande said:

It is not accurate to say that very few pros bag the i210 throughout the set. A visit to Ping.com or even the weekly PGA WITB says otherwise.

Of the 25 PGA players they feature, 5 are in i200/i210. Most of the rest are playing iBlade or S55, and a handful have switched to Blueprint.

Posted:

• animalgolfsanimalgolfs FL & OK  2039Members Posts: 2,039

I'm real close to pulling a iBlade / Blueprint combo

Blueprint just looks so good to my eye

Posted:
    G400-Max 9*
    G400 SFT 16*
    G Crossover 21*
    G700 6i
    i500 8i PW
    Glide 2.0 Stealth 54*
    iwi Craz-e 

Advertisement
  • ForeleftForeleft  2179Members Posts: 2,179

@uglande said:

@Foreleft said:

@uglande said:

Of the 25 PGA players they feature, 5 are in i200/i210. Most of the rest are playing iBlade or S55, and a handful have switched to Blueprint.

On PGA pro staff, alone, then, 20% play I series. Very strong on LPGA and Champion tour for their staff, and well represented on European tour.

Posted:
  • High Draws Low FadesHigh Draws Low Fades  73Members Posts: 73

@uglande said:

@Foreleft said:

@uglande said:

So 5/25 between 4 sets of irons? Seems like a decent proportion to me.

Posted:
    Ping G400 LST 8.5
    Callaway GBB Epic 15
    Titleist 818 H2 21 or Ping G410 Crossover 17
    Ping i210 4-U
    Cleveland RTX 4 54, 58
    Scotty Cameron T22 Newport

@High Draws Low Fades said:

@uglande said:

@Foreleft said:

@uglande said:

So 5/25 between 4 sets of irons? Seems like a decent proportion to me.

I wasn't trying to knock the i210. I'm just saying there's a market for a player's club between the i210 and the Blueprint. And it's confirmed by the fact that the majority of Ping players on the PGA tour are still in iBlade/S55 rather than either i210 or Blueprint. I suspect more will begin gravitating to Blueprint (they look amazing), but for most of us golfers who are solid ball strikers but mortal, our sweet spot lies between Blueprint and i210. That sweet spot is iBlade/S55, so I'm hoping for something in that zone in 2020.

Posted:

• WristySwingWristySwing  141Members Posts: 141

Well we already know G700 is getting a facelift in 2020 and rumours of a new i510 have also been floating around, so it wouldn't surprise me to see an iBlade on deck for 2020. I210 is also kinda-sorta due next year as well if you follow traditional Ping timelines...but they seem to have thrown those out lately.

Posted:

Cobra F9 - Ventus Black
    Ping G410 4 wood and 7 wood (16.5-20.5) - Rogue Black 130
    Callaway Big Bertha 2019 hybrid 5H-8H (24-35) - Diamana Thump Hy for when the back is bad
    Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 5-P (23-45) - Accra i110 for when the back is great
    Cleveland CBX2 GW and SW (50-55) - Accra i123
    Taylormade Hi-Toe Big Foot ATV - Accra i123
    Bettinardi Custom 1 of 1 or Scotty Teryllium T22 NP2 - Stability
    Always Lamkin Grips

• IvyguyIvyguy  1574Members Posts: 1,574

@uglande said:

@Ivyguy said:

I disagree about the last thing you said. Ping iBlade came out three years ago. That's not "current" by any manufacturer's standard, and they are no longer taking custom orders.

I didnt know about the custom order part. There was some strange happing in the s series released werent there? I wanna say the s55s were around for a long time.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Original DanOriginal Dan  3Members Posts: 3

A replacement for the iblade is clearly due and without knowing anything, i feel we could be seeing something in the next few months. The fact its been so long since the iblade release, i see as a good thing. Im expecting something special Ping. Dont let me down!

Posted:
  • t8ert8er  657Members Posts: 657

I had a set of the iblades when they first came out and the short irons spun too much for me. Bought a Blueprint iblade combo recently and they blend nicely (4 and 5 iblade...6-PW BP) but the difference is very noticeable in forgiveness between the two...at least for me. I love the look of the Blueprint but would definitely be in line to buy an iblade 2.0 if they could the spin down on the short irons and either maintain the current look or gravitate towards the look of the Blueprint.

Posted:
    PXG Gen 2 0811X 10.5
    PXG Gen 1 21 hybrid
    PXG Gen 1 Darkness 0311T 4-PW
    PXG Gen 2 0311X driving iron
    PXG 0311 50, 56, 60 darkness
    Mizuno MP20 HMB 3-PW
    Ping Blueprint 4-PW
    TM R7 Forged 3-PW
    PXG Lucky D
    Evnroll ER1.2
    Scotty Cameron Newport Oil Can 33/350
  • TrueWRXTrueWRX  1702Members Posts: 1,702

@t8er said:
    I had a set of the iblades when they first came out and the short irons spun too much for me. Bought a Blueprint iblade combo recently and they blend nicely (4 and 5 iblade...6-PW BP) but the difference is very noticeable in forgiveness between the two...at least for me. I love the look of the Blueprint but would definitely be in line to buy an iblade 2.0 if they could the spin down on the short irons and either maintain the current look or gravitate towards the look of the Blueprint.

I agree if iBlades spun less then would still be in my bag. Thought they looked great, felt great, and super forgiving for the size. Im very happy with my MMCs but if the new iBlades are the same but lower spin I may get them

Posted:

@t8er said:

I had the same experience with my iBlades. Too much spin. Everything else about them was great. Felt nice. Looked great. Very forgiving. These are probably still the most popular irons among Ping's PGA players (with some now moving to Blueprint). I wonder how those tour players have been able to manage the spin issue.

Posted:

• lawsonmanlawsonman Freeport, Illinois 5772Members Posts: 5,772

@uglande said:

The I210 has a huge presence on the LPGA and Champions tour and most of us here couldn't compete with either.

Posted:
    Ping G400 driver
    Ping Anser 17,20,23 Hybrids
    Ping G410 6-UW Irons ( Next Season ? )
    Ping 54WS,58ES Wedges
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3

Snell MTB X

Advertisement

@lawsonman said:

@uglande said:

The I210 has a huge presence on the LPGA and Champions tour and most of us here couldn't compete with either.

Sure. But it's really just a question of preference. The i210 is chunkier and more offset than a lot of people (myself included) would like. Yet Blueprint is an extremely blade-y blade. There's a sweet spot in-between that I'm hoping Ping will fill (e.g., iBlade 2.0).

Posted:

• Redjeep83Redjeep83  5546Members Posts: 5,546

You guys are funny, spin too much. Well I’ll tell you right now blades (not iblade) spin a lot more than other irons especially distance irons.

Posted:
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Freeport, Illinois 5772Members Posts: 5,772

@uglande said:

@lawsonman said:

@uglande said:

Sure. But it's really just a question of preference. The i210 is chunkier and more offset than a lot of people (myself included) would like. Yet Blueprint is an extremely blade-y blade. There's a sweet spot in-between that I'm hoping Ping will fill (e.g., iBlade 2.0).

I get it. But, I still have to chuckle when someone says a iron like the I210 is too chunky and has too much offset when people who play for a living obviously have no problems with it. On the other hand, us amateurs can play what ever we like because at the end of the day our scores mean nothing to anyone but us.

Posted:
    Ping G400 driver
    Ping Anser 17,20,23 Hybrids
    Ping G410 6-UW Irons ( Next Season ? )
    Ping 54WS,58ES Wedges
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3

Snell MTB X

@lawsonman said:

@uglande said:

@lawsonman said:

@uglande said:

I get it. But, I still have to chuckle when someone says a iron like the I210 is too chunky and has too much offset when people who play for a living obviously have no problems with it. On the other hand, us amateurs can play what ever we like because at the end of the day our scores mean nothing to anyone but us.

I agree there is often a little vanity involved in people's selection of irons, and I won't claim that I never succumb to that temptation, but for me it's mostly about my miss (left) and my launch (high), so offset is particularly bothersome to me, and it's also about what looks good behind the ball and what gives you the right feel. I actually played the i210 as an experiment after I had to give up on iBlade. It felt heavy and the face felt spongy. I'm sure Stewart Cink loves his. But it didn't work for me.

Posted:

@Redjeep83 said:
    You guys are funny, spin too much. Well I’ll tell you right now blades (not iblade) spin a lot more than other irons especially distance irons.

What a revelation.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Redjeep83Redjeep83  5546Members Posts: 5,546

@uglande said:

@Redjeep83 said:

What a revelation.

well you mentioned you wonder how the PGA tour players deal with the spin on iblade but yet they play blades which spin more than game improvement irons. Too much spin is an AM issue many times, flipping with irons presenting alot of spin loft.

Posted:
  • balls_deepballs_deep Wanna earn 14 bucks the hard way? 1613Members Posts: 1,613

@Redjeep83 said:

@uglande said:

@Redjeep83 said:

What a revelation.

well you mentioned you wonder how the PGA tour players deal with the spin on iblade but yet they play blades which spin more than game improvement irons. Too much spin is an AM issue many times, flipping with irons presenting alot of spin loft.

The iBlade spins more than almost every blade I’ve ever tried/played. It’s a known thing. It’s a very high spin head.

Posted:
    Post edited by balls_deep on
    Titleist TS3 8.5° Project X Evenflow White 6.5x 62g
    Titleist 917F2 15.75°  Project X HZRDUS Handcrafted Black 6.0 75g
    Titleist 818 H1 19° Project X HZRDUS Handcrafted Black 6.0 85g
    Mizuno MP-20 MB 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
    Vokey SM7 50F 56M 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M 35"
    Pro V1x
    Currently - 5.6

• dlygrissedlygrisse Kansas 13687Members Posts: 13,687

@Redjeep83 said:

Translation: my 7 iron doesn't fly as far in a launch monitor as that club over there.

Posted:
    I pick 14 of the following:
    Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w 
    Ping G410 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS or Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

Advertisement
  • JDMRN81JDMRN81 PA 589Members Posts: 589

I've played iblades and i210's side by side this season on 3 occasions when the course was slow. I brought both sets and hit multiple shots from the same distances with each. I honestly did not find much of a difference between the two. Spin and distance was similar throughout the sets. i210's slightly better feeling. I ended up keeping the i210's because they fit me better (2 up vs standard lie of the iblades). I think the iblades are one of the best looking non-blade irons on the market. I would be all over a new iteration if they kept their traditional look.

Posted:
    PXG 0811xf Gen 2 9* AD VR-6x
    PXG 0341x Gen 3 16* AD VR-7x
    Ping i210 4-UW Modus 105s
    Ping Glide 2.0 54/58 Modus 105s
    Evnroll ER2 Black 34"
    Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Stars and Stripes

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.