2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

TOC application accepted: Guess I'm going solo to Scotland!

Got one of the coolest emails of my life today: "We are pleased to tell you your application for an advanced tee-time here at St Andrews Links has been successful and a provisional booking has been made."

I was already laying the groundwork to go at home, and I aimed for the week of April 22, the first week of peak season hoping it would be quiet and as easy as ever to get on TOC. But as life goes, I haven't gotten around to actually lock it in, thinking up a million excuses or waiting to decide. St. Andrews has been No. 1 on my bucket list for many years, and I'd like to go know while I'm still a single digit in my early 40s and in decent enough shape to enjoy the physical toll of lots of walking (although getting in shape is a major part of my plans for the next six months).

But I'm taking this email as my sign, and now I need to secure flights, etc. My tee time is for a Wednesday (Castle on Tuesday), which is perfect, as it gives me plenty of time on both sides to figure out the rest of my itinerary. I'm thinking of arriving from NJ to EDI on Friday or Saturday and returning the following Sunday. Depending on how it all breaks, I'll likely start or end the trip in North Berwick, although it looked like playing NB on a weekend might be difficult. So much homework to do!!!!

Anyway, just posting this here as a starting point. I'll be going as a single (unless a friend or two or three shock me and want to come along). As I did when I went solo to Bandon, I'll try to think aloud and provide a bit of a diary as I plan and of course once I'm on the hallowed grounds. Really excited to fully immerse myself in all things related to trip planning.

And I hope it goes without saying, feel free to drop any advice in here.

Lock it in! Just lock it in!

FYI, nothing wrong with the Castle Course according to many (I don't know) but if you want to switch that out after you confirm, they will work with you on a tee time on one of the other courses instead - at least they did with us with my taking the time to make one polite phone call. I wanted to play the New and she said "no worries" and got it done.

have fun, played it twice, once in insane winds .. really feel part of history when you play. If you are a golf nerd, you will LOVE it

Get in shape, the Castle has some climbs on it

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

And to echo the above, playing The Old Course with my oldest daughter and my wife (youngest daughter was photographer - had to sit this course out because of handicap restriction) was unbelievable experience from start to finish (my best round of the trip on the highlight/ last course of the trip in '18). Caddies were great, mine was full of little tidbits of history, you name it, plus he really got into the round and was keen on me staying focused (my mind and mouth tend to wander, lol). We had a blast on a beautiful, perfect day. If you love golf history, it is the pinnacle, IMO. And I thought the course was incredible and can't wait to play it again someday and learn even more about it.

So I locked in North Berwick today for Monday. I wasn’t sure if I should start or finish the trip in NB, but this forced my hand. Since they don’t allow guests on Saturdays, I think this works better anyway so I can finish my trip in St Andrews andnif I love the Old so much I can try for a closing round there. On the flip side, I question if I’ll enjoy NB for 3 days knowing I’m so close yet so far from the Mecca!

My itinerary is starting to shape up. My only real concern is that the two MUST PLAY on my list are TOC and North Berwick and then I have 3.5 days. I think ending on a high note would be good, so I think I’ll want a second (maybe a third) at TOC. If it’s as quiet that week as I hear, I wonder if I could make the Old early or late enough for a 36-hole day, maybe with the New for convenience. The nice thing about this is I’ll be totally locked into my round for the first five days and can get my bearings and then wing it for the final 3 days, depending on how much I want to play vs explore/enjoy/drink my way around town.

All thoughts are much appreciated. I obviously have a lot of planning to do but at least it’s a start:

Saturday: arrive EDI, rent car and head to East Lothian. Look for a casual, rust-kicking 18 @TBD

Sunday: explore area, 18 or 36, maybe Gullane 1 or TBD

Monday: 36 holes at North Berkwick, then depart for St Andrews

Tuesday: light day, Castle at noon

Wednesday: TOC at 1230

Thursday: 36 somewhere (any shot at a New-Old combo)?

Friday: possible Carnoustie or a fun 36 day on lesser known courses?

Saturday: final shot at the Old? Or fun 36 on lesser known courses?

Sunday: depart for home in the morning

For Friday and Saturday I would definitely suggest hitting Carnoustie on Friday. Play the Championship in the AM and Buddon Links after lunch. It's an easy drive there from St Andrews.

For the other day I'd suggest 36 at Crail (Balcomie Links) and Elie. Again they are close to St Andrews and each other. Not sure about non-member play on a Saturday though.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

During your stay in North Berwick, I'd suggest you consider playing at Dunbar. Looking at their online booking system, it looks like they accept outside play on Sunday. I was in that area last summer, and played #2 and #3 at Gullane. It was no problem adding the second round, on #3, after we finished our first 18, and they just charged us the difference between the single round price and the "package" price for the two rounds. I think it was less than 10 pounds. You might consider waiting to book your second round that day, if you're exhausted from the travel, or if the weather is miserable, you won't have prepaid for golf that you don't really want to play. For your arrival day, you might look at The Glen, on the east side of North Berwick.

My wife and I went this past August for the first leg of our Honeymoon. We played North Berwick first, and it was one of the coolest places I have ever been to. Followed up with Old, New, Castle and Kingsbarns. The Old Course is awesome. Not just playing the course, but walking around 1/18 and in the town. We stayed at the Old Course Hotel, which is over priced, but nice. When I think of that trip though I think about sitting on the bench behind 18 watching people tee of on 1 and finish on 18. It was just such a cool feeling. I immediately wanted to go back.

The castle course is beautiful. It is completely different than anything you will play there, but I liked it. It was the hardest course we played. The views were some of the best I have ever seen on a course. I get not wanting to play a new course while you are there (you'll hear that argument), but it is a change of pace and if it were in the states it would be a top 100 public course. Kingsbarns has 18 good holes and if I go back would play it again for sure.

Enjoy, getting that email last year was one of the best days of my life! ?

Hi,

I live in Edinburgh and am a member of a club in St Andrews, my guidance is posted in below, you've got the makings of a fantastic trip. The one thing to keep in mind is that the drive from Gullane to St Andrews or Carnoustie will take you 2.5hrs. It's not a quick trip north.

Saturday: arrive EDI, rent car and head to East Lothian. Look for a casual, rust-kicking 18 @TBD

- Consider Dunbar or North Berwick the Glen if you aren't minded to go for Archerfield, Craigielaw or Longniddry.

Sunday: explore area, 18 or 36, maybe Gullane 1 or TBD

- Gullane 1 and 2 would make an excellent 36 hole day.

Monday: 36 holes at North Berkwick, then depart for St Andrews

Tuesday: light day, Castle at noon

- Consider a swap for Kingsbarns, Castle is great but Kingsbarns is better.

Wednesday: TOC at 1230

Thursday: 36 somewhere (any shot at a New-Old combo)?

- Consider Crail, Elie or St A combo

Friday: possible Carnoustie or a fun 36 day on lesser known courses?

- Carnoustie would be an excellent choice, there is also Panmure and Monifieth. Gems of courses right by one another.

Saturday: final shot at the Old? Or fun 36 on lesser known courses?

Sunday: depart for home in the morning

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

> @TheInfidel said:

> Tuesday: light day, Castle at noon

> - Consider a swap for Kingsbarns, Castle is great but Kingsbarns is better.

>

I'm sure this is good advice, but as part of the Advance Reservation system the OP has to commit to (and pay in advance for) a second round on one of the St Andrews courses. I'm not dead sure, but for a single player, he may be required to play the Castle Course. Every other bit of advice is absolutely sound. There are really almost no bad choices, just different styles of good ones.

This may be too late, but I find when I make trips like this, I try to do the prime course towards the front of my trip (IE day 2). My nature is, I'd be so excited to play TOC and would constantly be thinking/reading about it (even while in Scotland) until I play it. I like to 'get it over with' (in a good way) so I can enjoy the rest of the trip, instead of spending the first few awesome days waiting for TOC.

> @Bloom said:

> This may be too late, but I find when I make trips like this, I try to do the prime course towards the front of my trip (IE day 2). My nature is, I'd be so excited to play TOC and would constantly be thinking/reading about it (even while in Scotland) until I play it. I like to 'get it over with' (in a good way) so I can enjoy the rest of the trip, instead of spending the first few awesome days waiting for TOC.

I've never thought about it quite that way, but you make sense. I'd like at least a couple of days to get my land legs back after the journey, and to learn a bit about how to play the different shots required in the conditions, but then I'd want to play the "big one." Fortunately for the OP, he has one of his two bucket-listers near the front, at North Berwick, and the other in the second half of the expedition.

> @davep043 said:

> > @TheInfidel said:

>

> > Tuesday: light day, Castle at noon

> > - Consider a swap for Kingsbarns, Castle is great but Kingsbarns is better.

> >

> I'm sure this is good advice, but as part of the Advance Reservation system the OP has to commit to (and pay in advance for) a second round on one of the St Andrews courses. I'm not dead sure, but for a single player, he may be required to play the Castle Course. Every other bit of advice is absolutely sound. There are really almost no bad choices, just different styles of good ones.

>

>

@davep043

There's a good chance you're right depending on the advance reservation options selected. I only opted for the advance booking in low season this year as I'm playing with my club in St Andrews anyway, and it is single round on TOC no other commitments required. I managed to get a time for a Friday late in Feb. The high season booking was slightly different and I didn't think to take a screen shot. There was a combo booking option but there _may_ also have been a single round option I'm not 100%.

Either way it's all different flavours of excellent links golf. I have a soft spot for Kingsbarns because in any other town in the UK it's the #1 course by far. With the exception of the 18th which I know alot of people say is one of the worst finishing holes. The other 17 holes are fantastic.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

> @davep043 said:

> > @TheInfidel said:

>

> > Tuesday: light day, Castle at noon

> > - Consider a swap for Kingsbarns, Castle is great but Kingsbarns is better.

> >

> I'm sure this is good advice, but as part of the Advance Reservation system the OP has to commit to (and pay in advance for) a second round on one of the St Andrews courses. I'm not dead sure, but for a single player, he may be required to play the Castle Course. Every other bit of advice is absolutely sound. There are really almost no bad choices, just different styles of good ones.

>

>

required to pay during high season ... don't have to play ... i skipped my round, which i kind of wish i hadn't, but i was dead tired and sore after 12 rounds in 9 days ...

Wow, great input, really appreciate it all. I'm happy with how the overall itinerary is shaping up, especially seeing how many options I'll have. Flights have suddenly become a pain in the neck. I was seeing sub-$1000 flights recently and now they're around 1300+. Might have to add a day and come back on Monday instead of Sunday. Whoa is me LOL

Good points about Castle. I can tell by all my reading it's the most divisive on this board. As a single I had to book it to get my TOC time. I've read DMK's book about building Castle, and given the amount of golf I'll play, I'm alright giving it a shot. Consider it my sub for Kingsbarns, which I don't really care to play, as I've been to Bandon and plan several more Bandon trips in the future.

When I started my planning, I wasn't really thinking of Carnoustie at all. It doesn't get my blood pumping like the others. I've added it to the mix because so many guys rave about it. But it looks like i might be able to juggle a few things if I could find a way onto Muirfield (I think SA would let me move my Castle tee time off Tuesday if I get Muirfield, right?). In that case, maybe I drop Carnoustie. Thoughts on Muirfield vs. Carnoustie?

Funny about getting the bucket list course at the start vs. finish. I'm thinking almost the same. Starting in East Lothian, am I going to be chomping at the bit to get to SA? That's lessened by having North Berwick early (but not so early I can't get my legs under me). I am happy to have TOC early in my time in SA, knowing it affords me a chance to go around a few more times if I love it as much as I expect to. I'd hate to spend a week playing other courses only to play TOC on the way out and realize "damn! I wish I had more time out there." But I also worry I've got my two big rounds early and don't want to limp out, which is why I do think I'll also do Ballot Buddy and/or see what other options I have for TOC right at the end. Logistically speaking, is there any chance that it's easier to get on TOC as a second round one day? Looks like it's dark around 830, so there's plenty of time for 36. I'd think an 4 p.m. start on TOC would be pretty awesome.

Similarly, any thoughts on playing one of the easy SA courses the morning before my 1230 TOC tee time? I imagine I'll be antsy as heck, plus it would be nice to get warmed up ahead of time. Running out on Strathtyrum or Balgove for 15-30 pounds seems like it might be nice way to kill time and loosen up in the morning. If I'm right, there's no driving range in the area, right?

i would play muirfield before carnoustie ... carnoustie doesn't get the love the other rota courses get, and you can get a tee time on carnoustie just about every time you go over ... but i doubt you'll know about muirfield till the week before, if not the day before ... and i would play the castle course ... they'll probably work with you ... don't see why they wouldn't ... i doubt there's any statistical difference in getting on for a 2nd round, though a 12:30 tee time will take 3 1/2 hours to finish, probably a touch closes to 4, so not sure where you're getting the 4 pm start time from ... i would honestly hesitate to play toc twice in a day if it's your first time ... just me, i'd want to think about the round a bit during the evening, then give it a try the next couple of days ... it's in april, so i'd think your chances are fairly decent, and very decent at calling on the spot to another course if you don't make toc on a particular day ... you might be chomping at the bit for toc, but berwick is every bit the course toc is, imo ... whatever your schedule ends up, there's no "limping out" ... they're all great courses in some way, and true links courses, and will be a blast to play (well, muirfield and carnoustie are more of a test than a blast) ...

I'm also second guessing myself here, so please put my mind at ease.

As of now, I'm going to pay 340 for the Old and Castle and that locks in those two days. But I have 3, possibly 4, days on top of TOC day. I could risk my reserved tee time and then spend 195 for TOC and 230 for a 3-day unlimited if I'm reading it correctly. For example, for my SA portion, especially if I'm now flying out Monday and have Sunday to play as well. But I guess as I look at it, I'd likely feel too beholden to SA, when I'd rather explore. But the math is weird, because I could play Jubilee and New on the same day and spend 170, so for 60 more bucks I can get the pass and fill in second rounds on two other days since it doesn't appear to be any kind of replay rate.

But that also starts to drag me into the "golf my brains out" territory, which I want to avoid since I do want to enjoy the pubs, etc.

> @philsRHman said:

> Wow, great input, really appreciate it all. I'm happy with how the overall itinerary is shaping up, especially seeing how many options I'll have. Flights have suddenly become a pain in the neck. I was seeing sub-$1000 flights recently and now they're around 1300+. Might have to add a day and come back on Monday instead of Sunday. Whoa is me LOL

>

> Good points about Castle. I can tell by all my reading it's the most divisive on this board. As a single I had to book it to get my TOC time. I've read DMK's book about building Castle, and given the amount of golf I'll play, I'm alright giving it a shot. Consider it my sub for Kingsbarns, which I don't really care to play, as I've been to Bandon and plan several more Bandon trips in the future.

>

> When I started my planning, I wasn't really thinking of Carnoustie at all. It doesn't get my blood pumping like the others. I've added it to the mix because so many guys rave about it. But it looks like i might be able to juggle a few things if I could find a way onto Muirfield (I think SA would let me move my Castle tee time off Tuesday if I get Muirfield, right?). In that case, maybe I drop Carnoustie. Thoughts on Muirfield vs. Carnoustie?

>

> Funny about getting the bucket list course at the start vs. finish. I'm thinking almost the same. Starting in East Lothian, am I going to be chomping at the bit to get to SA? That's lessened by having North Berwick early (but not so early I can't get my legs under me). I am happy to have TOC early in my time in SA, knowing it affords me a chance to go around a few more times if I love it as much as I expect to. I'd hate to spend a week playing other courses only to play TOC on the way out and realize "****! I wish I had more time out there." But I also worry I've got my two big rounds early and don't want to limp out, which is why I do think I'll also do Ballot Buddy and/or see what other options I have for TOC right at the end. Logistically speaking, is there any chance that it's easier to get on TOC as a second round one day? Looks like it's dark around 830, so there's plenty of time for 36. I'd think an 4 p.m. start on TOC would be pretty awesome.

>

> Similarly, any thoughts on playing one of the easy SA courses the morning before my 1230 TOC tee time? I imagine I'll be antsy as heck, plus it would be nice to get warmed up ahead of time. Running out on Strathtyrum or Balgove for 15-30 pounds seems like it might be nice way to kill time and loosen up in the morning. If I'm right, there's no driving range in the area, right?

They will definitely work with you. They are very accommodating. I changed multiple tee times around on our trip. I was able to get a tee time at Muirfield by emailing their secretary. I put in late, like maybe April and was put on a list then given a time. Unfortunately it didn't work out and I couldn't take it. I think as a single they will be able to put you with a group pretty easily. North Berwick is the most fun golf course I have ever played, having it early in the trip will balance out TOC at the end.

LOL, what is an "easy" St. Andrews course?

If you are antsy go use the range at St. Andrews - it is huge and incredible.

You are nuts to get up and try and run around and play 18 and inevitably be distracted, probably rushed and definitely tired - kiss enjoying all that The Old Course is as an experience good-bye, IMO.

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> LOL, what is an "easy" St. Andrews course?

>

> If you are antsy go use the range at St. Andrews - it is huge and incredible.

>

> You are nuts to get up and try and run around and play 18 and inevitably be distracted, probably rushed and definitely tired - kiss enjoying all that The Old Course is as an experience good-bye, IMO.

Ha, I don’t know why I was under the impression there’s no range.

> @philsRHman said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > LOL, what is an "easy" St. Andrews course?

> >

> > If you are antsy go use the range at St. Andrews - it is huge and incredible.

> >

> > You are nuts to get up and try and run around and play 18 and inevitably be distracted, probably rushed and definitely tired - kiss enjoying all that The Old Course is as an experience good-bye, IMO.

>

> Ha, I don’t know why I was under the impression there’s no range.

It's understandable, they are hard to come by there.

This is what passed for the only range in shouting distance of Royal Dornoch. Out in the middle of almost nowhere just outside of town, down a deserted lane and you put coins in a machine. Rotten carpet over crappy, nothing boardlike pad over cement, lol. I enjoyed the solitude, hit driver, a few sand shots and with my wedges it really made me focus on being shallow and using the bounce, lol.

ovvww71fp3qh.jpg

9n78quodx11g.jpeg

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @philsRHman said:

> > > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > LOL, what is an "easy" St. Andrews course?

> > >

> > > If you are antsy go use the range at St. Andrews - it is huge and incredible.

> > >

> > > You are nuts to get up and try and run around and play 18 and inevitably be distracted, probably rushed and definitely tired - kiss enjoying all that The Old Course is as an experience good-bye, IMO.

> >

> > Ha, I don’t know why I was under the impression there’s no range.

>

> It's understandable, they are hard to come by there.

>

> This is what passed for the only range in shouting distance of Royal Dornoch. Out in the middle of almost nowhere just outside of town, down a deserted lane and you put coins in a machine. Rotten carpet over crappy, nothing boardlike pad over cement, lol. I enjoyed the solitude, hit driver, a few sand shots and with my wedges it really made me focus on being shallow and using the bounce, lol.

>

>

I could hit golf balls there all day. May not be in good shape, but to be out there alone would be amazing.

• Like 1

I was up until 1 a.m. on Graylyn Loomis' site. Why do I do this each time I plan a golf trip? LOL. At least with Bandon the realm of possibilities was pretty limited. With Scotland I keep thinking I'm pretty well covered and then uncover another gem.

And I'm going to start re-reading Tom Coyne's A Course Called Scotland this weekend, and I can only imagine where that will take me. Can you say rabbit hole?

> @philsRHman said:

> I was up until 1 a.m. on Graylyn Loomis' site. Why do I do this each time I plan a golf trip? LOL. At least with Bandon the realm of possibilities was pretty limited. With Scotland I keep thinking I'm pretty well covered and then uncover another gem.

>

> And I'm going to start re-reading Tom Coyne's A Course Called Scotland this weekend, and I can only imagine where that will take me. Can you say rabbit hole?

Yep, that's the "problem" with Scotland and Ireland. So many options that it can be daunting.

> @philsRHman said:

> I was up until 1 a.m. on Graylyn Loomis' site. Why do I do this each time I plan a golf trip? LOL. At least with Bandon the realm of possibilities was pretty limited. With Scotland I keep thinking I'm pretty well covered and then uncover another gem.

>

> And I'm going to start re-reading Tom Coyne's A Course Called Scotland this weekend, and I can only imagine where that will take me. Can you say rabbit hole?

There's only one way to deal with this. Make good choices now, and start making plans to go back in the near future and play the places you can't fit in the first time.

> @davep043 said:

> > @philsRHman said:

> > I was up until 1 a.m. on Graylyn Loomis' site. Why do I do this each time I plan a golf trip? LOL. At least with Bandon the realm of possibilities was pretty limited. With Scotland I keep thinking I'm pretty well covered and then uncover another gem.

> >

> > And I'm going to start re-reading Tom Coyne's A Course Called Scotland this weekend, and I can only imagine where that will take me. Can you say rabbit hole?

>

> There's only one way to deal with this. Make good choices now, and start making plans to go back in the near future and play the places you can't fit in the first time.

One thing that surprised me is that many of the UTR courses are still going to cost $100 (75-100 pounds). I'm thrilled that the high-end courses are very affordable compared to the US, but I expected more of a gulf and to find some lesser known tracks in the $50 range. This is definitely not a complaint, just an observation.

A few things I'm struggling with:

With very much gratitude to a fellow member here, I feel confident I can get on Muirfield. Reading about lunch and the overall atmosphere, it seems like a really unique golf experience. Also, a potential budget buster (250 for one round, 400 for both and I'd be playing alternate shot with a stranger), and the added stress of packing a jacket, tie, dress shoes.

Similarly, I'm still apathetic about Carnoustie, but seeing it late in my trip, I think playing a really tough course might be a really nice gut check on how I'm adapting to links golf. A final exam kind of day.

Lastly, if I'm not going to play Muirfield, am I overdoing it in East Lothian with arrival day, a second day (currently Gullane), then North Berwick? It's not so much a knock on EL, I'm more starting to question whether I'd just be better off hunkering down in St. Andrews the entire trip, and just make the drive out and back one day for NB. It would make one very long Monday (2+ hours drive for a 10am tee time, 36 holes, and 2+ hours back in the dark), but do I really want to give up two nights in SA and delay getting the WOW of arriving in SA from Saturday to Monday night/Tuesday morning? And if I go from EDI to SA for Saturday and Sunday, I'd basically gain an afternoon (I arrive early, I think 9 a.m.).

In theory, here is another scenario (13 rounds in 9 days, which feels just about right):

Saturday: Arrive in SA, play Jubilee or New, get my bearings in SA

Sunday: Crail or Elie, and Ansthruter for fish and chips, explore SA

Monday: Depart by 7 a.m. for 1030 at North Berwick (36 holes), overnight stay in East Lothian

Tuesday: Muirfield 18 holes and lunch, drive back to SA (skip afternoon round to save energy for TOC)

Wednesday: The Old Course, 12:30

Thursday: Carnoustie 36 (lots more availability Thursday vs. Friday)

Friday: Try for TOC again. Plus my current Castle tee time (and if no Old, Castle-New/Jubilee)

Saturday: Try for TOC again. If not, Crail and/or Elie, more Ansthruter fish and chips

Sunday: Wide open to get one last bite at whatever I loved the most

Monday: Depart for home

The downside of this one is no Gullane or the others around EL, plus I'd have three different hotel reservations. Since I like the idea of playing few courses multiple times (they get into my memory much better that way), I like the chance for several replays. I'd basically check off all the bucket list tracks (TOC, North Berwick, Carnoustie, Muirfield) while also getting the Crails and Elie's in the mix. And then next time I could flip it and make home base EL with a shorter stay in SA instead.

That said, I don't even want to start pricing out this itinerary. I worry I'm looking at $5K between flights, golf, lodging and car. Although given what I said earlier about prices, I don't think this would be much different than when I had Gullane and more EL on the list.

My two cents.

When we did St Andrews we had an AirBnB on the Scores and never changed lodgings. Our "long" day was the trip to Carnoustie. When we did Ireland we stayed in 4 different locations.

Changing locations is a PITA. Arrive, unload, unpack, pack, load, etc, multiple times. If you really want to play Muirfield then go for it. If you think you'll be back, then save it for the next trip. Your idea of playing courses twice to get a feel for different pin positions and potentially wind/weather conditions is a good idea.

if you get on as a single on muirfield, you wouldn't have to pay the afternoon round (this is my understanding based on experience) ... i got a foursomes reservation 1 1/2 years ahead of time, so we had to pay for that afternoon round ... we only had 3, and told the secretary we had an opening, and she notified me about 5 days in advance that she had filled that slot ... not sure, but i didn't get the sense he had to pay for that afternoon round ... so if you get on as a single, i'm you're only out the $300 (or whatever it is) ... playing gullane and nb the first two days is most def not missing out on anything, but if you want muirfield, you're going to have to wait until it's the week or so before you're over there (unless you have a tee time already lined up) ... would most certainly stay in lothian the first two days before going to SA ... playing carnoustie instead of muirfield is not a "miss" by any stretch ...

as for cost ... well, good luck with that ...

Two mini-developments.

1 - Muirfield, as you guys suggested is a wait list situation. So I'll keep that as a wild card. Not feeling particularly compelled to play it but we will see.

2 - Apparently it's not a problem with either work or my wife to add another day or two because the flights going out on Friday and returning Sunday are several hundred dollars more. If I ended up arriving Friday morning and staying until the following Tuesday, that suddenly opens a WORLD of possibilities. That would give me 11 days of golf?!?!?! Suddenly I would have no worries about being short-changed in SA and would have an extra day to get comfortable out near North Berwick.

BTW, for everything I've read, I'm struggling to find a consensus for lodging out near North Berwick. I know a lot of love for The Golf Inn but that appears to be closed or converted into a guest house. I see a few hotels that might be on the fancier end of things. Is there a district of B&Bs like I've found in St. Andrews? I've never done Airbnb but I'm not opposed to it. I'm not a fancy hotel guy (I mean, I can be, but I'd rather spend on golf than hotel), so I'll continue to the search. I found several SA options for 100 quid a night, and it would help the budget immensely to stay at that level all week.