We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.
***11/16/2019 Attention GolfWRX community. If you had to reset your forum password, please see info below. ***

GolfWRX was informed of a potential issue and in an effort to be proactive, passwords were reset for some users. Please use the forget password recovery link: https://forums.golfwrx.com/entry/passwordrequest

Please email [email protected] if further help is required. We're sorry for any inconvenience.

Coming back from a 18 year break, used to play MP33

Kloppo ·  
KloppoKloppo  4Members Posts: 4

I just came back to the game, 46, clean striker of the ball. Recently started playing once a week and have insisted I wanted to keep my gear simple. I was using borrowed clubs, but bought a set of oversized KZG OC-X1 irons $50 without hitting them. Oh my, I know I've only played a handful of rounds since 2001, but it feels like I'm swinging a shovel. I can feel them lagging behind me (with regular shafts) and I'm hitting really fat. One thing I could not get over is how horrible it is to look down at them at address, they look and feel so clunky.

I used to play MP-33 with rifle 6.5 shafts. I'm looking to go back to something not as challenging, I can only play 1.5 times a week. Also not looking to break the bank. I've budgeted $500 for a set of irons 4-pw. I love the mizzy feel, and compact head. Do they make a set that progresses from blade on short to more cb-type on long irons? With the $500 budget I'll have to go used. Just thought I'd get some advice before pouring through reviews etc.

Thanks

Posted:

Comments

• Kenny Lee PuckettKenny Lee Puckett  3463Members Posts: 3,463

Ahhh budget schmudget. Blast right through that $500 and get whatever you want, and custom built, the first time (for you Mizuno JPX 919 Forged long irons and 919 Forged Tour shorts would be an idea for a combo). You'll blow more $$$ going cheap buying and selling used junk you never get along with. Welcome back to the game, and to this fourm. And please, consider ceasing the use of "Mizzy" in future posts, we don't need any more of it, only requires one more later to spell MIZUNO.

(I wish I could "only" play 1.5 times a week)

Posted:
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]PING G LST: Ping Tour 80
    PING Anser 4wd: Accra S380 RT
    PXG 0317: Fujikura Rombax 8D07HB
    PING i500 4 iron: D.G. 120
    PING S55 5-PW: D.G. Tour Issue
    PING Glide 2.0 50/54/58: D.G. Tour Issue
    PING Darby F Ti Pixel: SS 2.0 Mid
    PING: Sensor Glove, Ping 703 Cord grips
    PING: Hoofer Bag
    TaylorMade: TP5 & TP5x ball

WITB photos: [/font]http://www.golfwrx.c...uckett-witb-19/
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Rory4PresRory4Pres  1172Members Posts: 1,172

mp60, mp62, mp64's would be good options with more forgiveness but still feels almost like a blade. all three would be under $350 for a set.

Posted:
  • AutomaticTwoDownAutomaticTwoDown Two down after two, time to get to work  446Members Posts: 446

Welcome to the site. Kudos for using the term shovels in your first post. I have a feeling you’re going to do just fine here.

For combo sets on a budget, take a look at Cobra Fly-Z Pro Forged or Cobra Amp Cell Pro Forged.

Posted:
  • balls_deepballs_deep Wanna earn 14 bucks the hard way? 1613Members Posts: 1,613

919 forged are fantastic. Super forgiving (Maltby rates them as game improvement) but buttery feel and nice look at address. Otherwise I’d look at Srixon 765 or 785. Forgiving enough, next to no offset, and superb feel. Bonus for turf interaction if you have a steep/fat miss.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5° Project X Evenflow White 6.5x 62g
    Titleist 917F2 15.75°  Project X HZRDUS Handcrafted Black 6.0 75g
    Titleist 818 H1 19° Project X HZRDUS Handcrafted Black 6.0 85g
    Mizuno MP-20 MB 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
    Vokey SM7 50F 56M 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M 35"
    Pro V1x
    Currently - 5.6

• juststevejuststeve  4925Members Posts: 4,925

If you still have the MP33s play those. They're still a great set of irons.

Steve

Posted:
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to Canada 12905Members Posts: 12,905

I used to play those and the 37's

I suggest a used set of Ping s55's. Compactish and very forgiving. legendary.

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65 06
    Callaway Xhot 3 Deep 14.5* Fubuki 73x
    Callaway GBB 5w 17* Aldila NVS 85x 
    Callaway Apex v1 3h 20* AD DI 95x
    Cally Apex v1 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x
    Mizuno 919T 6-G UST Recoil 95 f4 
    Vokey sm2 54*m & 59*m TVD 
    Callaway PM 64* UST 110 f4
    Yes Donna

'19 Index 0.9 ~ 3.7

Advertisement
  • balls_deepballs_deep Wanna earn 14 bucks the hard way? 1613Members Posts: 1,613

@cardoustie said:
    I used to play those and the 37's

I suggest a used set of Ping s55's. Compactish and very forgiving. legendary.

True. Another good/cheap option is Ping ie1. If I was on a budget and playing money games I’d game those easy. Same with s55.

Posted:
    Pro V1x
    Currently - 5.6

• KloppoKloppo  4Members Posts: 4

Thanks all. Anyone have any experience with the MP-5? Are the considered more forgiving than the 33s? I saw a set fairly cheap, I could just find another 4-6 if needed.

Posted:

@Kloppo said:
    Thanks all. Anyone have any experience with the MP-5? Are the considered more forgiving than the 33s? I saw a set fairly cheap, I could just find another 4-6 if needed.

Great clubs. It's still a blade so toe miss is not going to yield good results but anything close to the center will feel fantastic.

Posted:
    Pro V1x
    Currently - 5.6

• ckayckay  4214Members Posts: 4,214

$500 is a great budget for a set of irons. If you like Mizunos, stick with the brand. Up to you on whether you want a blade or a player's cavity.

Posted:
    Taylormade M4 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link

Thanks, other than looking on the classifieds here or on The Bay, what are some other alternatives to find some MP-5's?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Dano golfDano golf  162Members Posts: 162

If you enjoy the feel of forged Mizuno’s, I doubt anything else will meet your standards. JMO. So many great clubs out there, and Mizuno makes some great cavity back clubs that at address, look like blades.

Posted:
  • Dano golfDano golf  162Members Posts: 162

I gave my son my old set of MP 53’s , and I played with them last week. Felt like butter! I do love my jpx 919 tour’s!

Posted:

Thanks, but I meant what is a good site to find the MP-5 other than the classifieds on this site or on the bay.

Posted:
  • pholwaypholway  507Members Posts: 507

you can find a set of mp60s for sub 300 bucks easily. 919 forged 5-PW are about 500 ... lots of options from Mizuno.

Posted:

R Flex Pride..

TaylorMade M4 Project X Hzrdus T800
    Callaway Rogue 17 Degree Project X Even Flow Blue
    Titleist TS2 21 Degree Tensei Blue
    Titleist T300 5-GW Nippon 950GH
    Vokey SM6 54 + 58 KBS C Taper
    Vokey SM4 64 Dynamic Gold
    Odyssey EXO 7s
    Vice Pro Plus / Kirkland Signature

• pholwaypholway  507Members Posts: 507

@pholway said:
    you can find a set of mp60s for sub 300 bucks easily. 919 forged 5-PW are about 500 ... lots of options from Mizuno.

here http://www.ebaystores.com/2ndswing

Posted:

R Flex Pride..

TaylorMade M4 Project X Hzrdus T800
    Callaway Rogue 17 Degree Project X Even Flow Blue
    Titleist TS2 21 Degree Tensei Blue
    Titleist T300 5-GW Nippon 950GH
    Vokey SM6 54 + 58 KBS C Taper
    Vokey SM4 64 Dynamic Gold
    Odyssey EXO 7s
    Vice Pro Plus / Kirkland Signature

Advertisement
  • kro88kro88  200Members Posts: 200

@Kloppo said:

MP-5 is the way to go if you want a similar look to the 33 from address, but more forgiveness in the back. can always go with the MP-25 in the long irons

Posted:
    Bag of tricks - in Mackenzie Walker
    Driver: Ping G40 Max 10.5 w/Fuji Speeder 661 Evo IV X
    Wood: Titleist 913 F2 19 w/Diamana S+ Blue 72s - setting C1 | Titleist 975f 20.5 w/ Grafalloy ProLite S Flex
    Irons: Miura 1957 Baby Blades w/Nippon Modus 120 Stiff 4-PW std lie
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey Sm7 50 - 2 flt - 1 wk w/KBS 610 | Vokey Design V grind oil can 54 - 2 flt -1 wk w/KBS 610 | Titleist Vokey Design Low Bounc K oil can 60 -2 flt w/KBS Hi-rev | Taylormade Hi-Toe 64 w/KBS Hi-Rev
    Putter: Mizuno TPM3 33.5 Inches - SS 3.0 grip
    Ball: Titleist Pro-V1
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USA 6784Members Posts: 6,784

No reason you couldn't keep the MP-33 in 7-PW, and just get a couple CB long and mid irons. Might be harder to find, but there are options like Ironfinder.com, Clubfinders, or even 2nd Swing. With 2nd Swing, you have to be careful to avoid the more popular sets, their pricing is partially based on demand; less popular clubs can be found for pretty good deals.

Posted:
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: TM R11s, SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X, 43.25"
    3w:  Cobra King LTD, Tour Blue 85 S
    3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, DGS400
    3-PW:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300
    GW:  Dynacraft forged 52*, DGS400
    SW:  Wilson Staff PMP 58*
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane/Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

I've proven once again that anything over 44.5" or even 44.25" is a horrible fit for my tee game
  • ZigzogZigzog  233Members Posts: 233

Callaway MB, pure and simple. Could always go X forged in the longer irons if needed, but I find the 4 and 5 iron a joy in the MBs, plus you can get a raw finish )

Posted:

Ping G400 Max - Accra M4 250 FX
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 3 Wood - Tour AD 7S
    Ping S55 - 3- W : KBS Tour 120 S
    Cleveland 588 - 49,53,57
    Edel E1

Posted:

Cleveland 588 - 49,53,57
    Edel E1

Love mine!

Posted:

Cleveland 588 - 49,53,57
    Edel E1

Advertisement
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC  2467ClubWRX Posts: 2,467

MP5 is an excellent choice, but since you mentioned shovels be sure to check the MP5 short irons, which have drawn criticism for being somewhat larger. Not an issue for me but worth noting.

So many choices for what you are looking for, mostly cavity backs To me the MP53 is the most forgiving MP head though perhaps the new MP20 MMC is as forgiving (I’m not including the hollow MP20 HMB as that is completely unlike any other MP head). Tons of great choices for $500 or less — also see MP59, MP54, JPX 919 Tour (and forged), Bridgestone J15CB, Hogan PTX, any Srixon 700 or 900 series, TaylorMade 750/730 combo, on and on. I also think a Callaway Apex Pro/Apex MB combo would be an option. The easiest to hit musclebacks I have hit are MP5, Srixon 965 and the Callaway Apex MB. Of those the Callaways are the prettiest to my eye.

Posted:
    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
  • JAMH03JAMH03  979Members Posts: 979

@Kloppo said:
    I just came back to the game, 46, clean striker of the ball. Recently started playing once a week and have insisted I wanted to keep my gear simple. I was using borrowed clubs, but bought a set of oversized KZG OC-X1 irons $50 without hitting them. Oh my, I know I've only played a handful of rounds since 2001, but it feels like I'm swinging a shovel. I can feel them lagging behind me (with regular shafts) and I'm hitting really fat. One thing I could not get over is how horrible it is to look down at them at address, they look and feel so clunky.

I used to play MP-33 with rifle 6.5 shafts. I'm looking to go back to something not as challenging, I can only play 1.5 times a week. Also not looking to break the bank. I've budgeted $500 for a set of irons 4-pw. I love the mizzy feel, and compact head. Do they make a set that progresses from blade on short to more cb-type on long irons? With the $500 budget I'll have to go used. Just thought I'd get some advice before pouring through reviews etc.

Thanks

@Kloppo glad you're back I hope you enjoy playing and 1.5 per week is enough to really enjoy your equip the game and improve so thats great!

8 times out of 10 I think it's better to measure than to take a stab in the dark. Example 6.5 is fairly stout and has a very unique feel or swing profile. Since your 46 you could still be in prime shape or you could be running the other direction from the flat bellied. Lulz how are we to know what would be a good fit?

Just by what other guys think might fit the profile at their guesses as to how your swing has degraded or how hard you want to go after it?

I'd think why not just try 5.0, 6.0 and 6.5 rifles? Easy to come by via most golf courses or Fleabay.

Seriously though if you're used to hitting Rifles why not just get Rifles?

Thought process being it doesn't really make sense to learn a new feel when you're trying to remember your old feel. How will you know when you're there? That question won't be going away any time soon.

Another perspective, it's so often about loft.

Drop the long irons and you'll be fine.

@Kloppo you have a very clear idea of what you like to look at that's not likely to change based on any new tech. It really is almost always about loft. Drop a long iron or 2 and grab a useful hybrid and and get back to it you'll improve faster and know where you're at with more certainty I think.

Let us know

Posted:

• SylvesterLundgrenSylvesterLundgren Michigan 87Members Posts: 87

@Kenny Lee Puckett said:
    Ahhh budget schmudget. Blast right through that $500 and get whatever you want, and custom built, the first time (for you Mizuno JPX 919 Forged long irons and 919 Forged Tour shorts would be an idea for a combo). You'll blow more $$$ going cheap buying and selling used junk you never get along with. Welcome back to the game, and to this fourm. And please, consider ceasing the use of "Mizzy" in future posts, we don't need any more of it, only requires one more later to spell MIZUNO.

(I wish I could "only" play 1.5 times a week)

Mizzy mizzy mizzy mizzy mizzy......... lol Ive played mizuno mp 62 irons and got me fill before I went to the nikes I have now. Lol personally I found it funny that you tried to censor a censor a word. Crazy

Posted:
    Ping G400/ fujikura pro 63s 
    Cleveland DST launcher 3w stiff
    Nike VR Covert 5w stiff
    Nike VR Pro combo irons (2014) 3-Pw stiff
    Nike VR forged 52-56
    Spaulding pro series 60 
    Nike 006 w Pure grip
  • SylvesterLundgrenSylvesterLundgren Michigan 87Members Posts: 87

@Rory4Pres said:
    mp60, mp62, mp64's would be good options with more forgiveness but still feels almost like a blade. all three would be under $350 for a set.

The barely there cavities lol, still very blade like. Mp64s are probably more forgiving than the older mp62s I miss those irons time to time but I do side with getting more out of the longer ended side of the bag. Just sucks i don’t have the money of some of these Ho’s around here cause I’d have another set

Posted:
    Ping G400/ fujikura pro 63s 
    Cleveland DST launcher 3w stiff
    Nike VR Covert 5w stiff
    Nike VR Pro combo irons (2014) 3-Pw stiff
    Nike VR forged 52-56
    Spaulding pro series 60 
    Nike 006 w Pure grip

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.