We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.
***11/16/2019 Attention GolfWRX community. If you had to reset your forum password, please see info below. ***

GolfWRX was informed of a potential issue and in an effort to be proactive, passwords were reset for some users. Please use the forget password recovery link: https://forums.golfwrx.com/entry/passwordrequest

Please email [email protected] if further help is required. We're sorry for any inconvenience.

Cobra King Forged TEC

mci711 ·  
mci711mci711 Chicago 1383Members Posts: 1,383

I am looking into buying these irons. I was hitting them yesterday and really loved how they felt. I had never hit a single length iron before, and I started messing with those as well. I really liked the long irons at a shorter length, obviously. My question is, does anyone play single length irons 4-7 and normal length for 8-W? I think that is what I would do, but wasn't sure if that even made sense. I am a high ball hitter and the short irons were launching like 60 degree wedges, basically unplayable.

Posted:

Comments

• sm_wattssm_watts  689Members Posts: 689

I've never given this any thought, but that idea really sounds interesting. If you go through with this thought, I would love to hear how it plays out in real life.

Posted:
    Taylormade M2 2016 10.5 w/UST ATTAS Elements, MK reg
    Taylormade M2 2017 HL 16.5 w/UST ATTAS Elements, DK reg
    TEE e8 22 & 25 hybrids/Recoil 460 F3
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged/Recoil 95 F3
    Snake Eyes 685BX 52*
    Hogan TK 57*
    TP Mills Sycamore...or Spaulding TPM VIII...or maybe the TP Mills Elite...or the TP Mills Softtail???
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • HaberHaber  176Members Posts: 176

@mci711 said:
    I am looking into buying these irons. I was hitting them yesterday and really loved how they felt. I had never hit a single length iron before, and I started messing with those as well. I really liked the long irons at a shorter length, obviously. My question is, does anyone play single length irons 4-7 and normal length for 8-W? I think that is what I would do, but wasn't sure if that even made sense. I am a high ball hitter and the short irons were launching like 60 degree wedges, basically unplayable.

I think this is why most guys move away from them. The short irons launch sky high and the long irons launch lower. With enough speed the long irons are a non issue but the average golfer will have trouble. I couldn't handle my short irons launching to the moon.

Posted:
  • scooterhd2scooterhd2  477Members Posts: 477

i was playing an all single length, but have since moved on to single length 5-7, and variable length 8-GW. The long irons are stupid easy to hit, and I find that they gap very well. Slightly lower ball flight on a well struck shot, but on average I hit them higher than a variable length long iron as I almost always make solid contact and don't duff or thin shots. Currently looking into getting a one length driving iron.

Posted:
  • mci711mci711 Chicago 1383Members Posts: 1,383

@scooterhd2 said:
    i was playing an all single length, but have since moved on to single length 5-7, and variable length 8-GW. The long irons are stupid easy to hit, and I find that they gap very well. Slightly lower ball flight on a well struck shot, but on average I hit them higher than a variable length long iron as I almost always make solid contact and don't duff or thin shots. Currently looking into getting a one length driving iron.

Awesome to hear. I think it makes a lot of sense. Thanks for your input!

Posted:
  • scooterhd2scooterhd2  477Members Posts: 477

I should mention that with the single length short irons, I did eventually have distance control issues. I didn't mind the look of the higher ball flight, and it was nice to just impale greens. I rarely play in wind, but I would get alot of complements on the height and guys wishing they could get the ball up like that. But my problem was the occasional flier or pull. I'm not one to layoff a shot. I'd rather clubdown and go after it then choke up and hit a 85% swing. That just is a recipe for a bad shot for me. But when you swing a GW with the same swingspeed as a 7 iron, and you just absolutely nut it, it goes 10 yards further which is just killer. Or if you pull-draw the ball, it just never comes down. Just keeps leeking and making that return chip shot that much more difficult. I also like to use the 8 and PW around the green, and the added length was cumbersome for touch shots. Much happier with the variable length 8-GW. But like I said, I would be hard pressed to give up the single length long irons right now. I bring a variable length 5 iron to the range every now and then, and it confirms my opinions every time.

Posted:
  • cadman88cadman88 Advanced Member Buffalo / Rochester, NY 2421Members Posts: 2,421

Posted:
    • Taylormade M6 10.5°, UST TourSPX VTS Silver 7x
    • Taylormade M6 D-Type 16°, UST TourSPX VTS Silver 7x
    • Taylormade M3 Rescue 4 / 21° @ 22.5°, Tensei Blue 80HYs
    • See below...
    • Taylormade Hi-Toe 56°, Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400
    • Taylormade Hi-Toe 60°, Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400
    • Scotty Cameron GoLo 3 35"

2014 Adams XTD Forged 4-PW, DG 120 S300
               2014 Adams XTD Forged 4-PW, GW, Dynalite Gold XP S300          
               2019 Cobra King Forged MB's 5-PW, GW KBS $-Taper 120s

Advertisement
  • AucavemanAucaveman  133Members Posts: 133

Played the black forged Tec ones and liked them immensely. Went away for a couple months and now play the original forged ones. I like the originals better.. Keeping in mind I'm s lower ball hitter, i do see just a smidge lower ball flight with the longer irons, but do not see any difference in height in the short irons. I have the best distance control with the original ones that I've ever had, Vl or ol.

Posted:
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War  3128Members Posts: 3,128

@Aucaveman said:
    Played the black forged Tec ones and liked them immensely. Went away for a couple months and now play the original forged ones. I like the originals better.. Keeping in mind I'm s lower ball hitter, i do see just a smidge lower ball flight with the longer irons, but do not see any difference in height in the short irons. I have the best distance control with the original ones that I've ever had, Vl or ol.

i think he means the new Cobra King Forged Tecs. Blade looking.

Does any one know if the one length heads are weighted differently from the regular shafted ones? Would expect the one length ones to get cheaper soon to pick up a set for my normal shafts

Posted:
    Cobra F9 Camo/LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ 
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Srixon Z-Forged 120x 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    TM Spider DJ Sightline Black Tour Spider 
  • AucavemanAucaveman  133Members Posts: 133

@Man_O_War said:

@Aucaveman said:

i think he means the new Cobra King Forged Tecs. Blade looking.

Does any one know if the one length heads are weighted differently from the regular shafted ones? Would expect the one length ones to get cheaper soon to pick up a set for my normal shafts

You're prob correct. I went back and re-read the post. I just saw where he said he'd never hit a single length iron before. But then he says as well. My mistake. But I've played the regular blacks as well. I'll prob get jumped by the mizuno fan base, but both set of tecs feel better than the 919s and yes i have a set of those as well. Imo.

Posted:
  • roxaldroxald  495ClubWRX Posts: 495

I played 5-7 in One Length and 8-PW variable length FTB and had no issues. It’s a great set up for the bag and I didn’t have to change my wedges.
    All irons were $-Taper 125.
    Your correct on the High flight of the OL in the shorter irons and that’s why I stayed away from them. So high they seemed un-playable on windy days-hard to flight the ball down, for sure.
    I could easily play them again. Feel was really good and the black frames the ball so well...only reason I stopped playing them is because my J15’s look and feel so good they didn’t deserve to sit in the garage.
    If the new Forged Tec feel and play better than the FTB, that’s saying something.
    Rox

Posted:
    Cobra F9 Avalanche 9° with GD AD-iZ 7X<br />GBB 3-wood with Regio 70x<br />Rogue 5-wood with Aldila Green 70S<br />Srixon U65 23° with Nippon 120X<br />Cobra Forged Tec Black OL 5 & 6 and VL 7-PW $-Taper 125’s<br />Callaway Forged Black 54° and 58° PM Grind/ Nippon 115X Wedge<br />Bettinardi Stock 8<br />TP5
  • CwingCwing #TaylorMade TwistFace Experience 2018 Go Big Blue!!! 8x Champs. Who Dey !!! Go Bengals, 8186Members Posts: 8,186

I’m interested in trying these irons in a normal configuration. One length 5-6-7 Would seem to make sense to me but not one length 7 - wedges

Posted:
    Post edited by Cwing on
    TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos 44.5”
    TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
    PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    Cleveland RTX 58*
    Seemore si5
    Garmin g6/Precision Pro Nx7 Pro slope
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Advertisement
  • mci711mci711 Chicago 1383Members Posts: 1,383

I bought the set of full 1 length clubs to try out. If I don't like them I have 90 days to return them for something different. I got upgraded shafts to get lower ball flight and that seemed to help. We will see on the course though. I won't have them until next week, right before going to South Carolina. My first round with them will be The Ocean Course at Kiawah, not the best idea i've had 😂.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.