Ever Play Hookie Golf w Your Kid?

BeerPerHole ·  
BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole  1366Members Posts: 1,366

Ever take your kid out of school to play a round of golf?

Posted:

Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
Ping G400 5-wood
Ping Anser G putter

Snell MTB-X

Knee Deep Breaking Bud IPA

Comments

• DaddyCaddieIUDaddyCaddieIU  48Members Posts: 48

Isn't it poor parenting if you don't? Taken kids out to go to practice round for LPGA event as well.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026  1432Members Posts: 1,432

Is it hookie if you get approved PTO from work and let the school know he won't be there? We go to the Genesis every year during the week.

Posted:

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole  1366Members Posts: 1,366

I'm finding that I'm doing a lot of the educating at home each night. So...

Posted:

Ping G400 5-wood
    Ping Anser G putter

Snell MTB-X

• wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower  1028Members Posts: 1,028

My kid at 8YO says he doesn't learn anything in school (3rd grade). I don't feel bad when I pull him out for a day to go golf (or attend a PGA event). He's been "sick" a couple Fridays already this year.

Posted:

-- Two things don't last long. Dogs chasing cars and golf pro's putting for pars. --

• heavy_hitterheavy_hitter  3438Members Posts: 3,438

If the kids on my sons golf team played in every event they missed 13 days of school the first 9 weeks. If they played through the playoffs they missed another 8 days of school. Way too much if you ask me.

Posted:
  • BertGABertGA  360Members Posts: 360

Pulled my daughter out of 5th for a lesson just Last week.

They asked me to list the reason for leaving, I wrote “stuff”.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • mcputtermcputter  1007Members Posts: 1,007

Bueller..... Bueller.... Bueller?

Posted:
    Adams 9015D 10.5 Matrix Ozik
    TM M2 Deep Face 3HL Fuji Atmos 6
    Callaway Apex 20 Steelfiber hls780
    Adams Pro Mini 23 Steelfiber i95
    Adams A12 Pro Black 5-9PW Steelfiber i95
    Adams CB2 GW Steelfiber i95
    Vokey SM6 Black 54 S-Grind Steelfiber i110 CW
    Vokey Oil Can 58 V-Grind Kuro Kage TiNi 105
    Scotty Cameron Pro Plat Newport Mil Spec

It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast!

@BertGA said:
    Pulled my daughter out of 5th for a lesson just Last week.

They asked me to list the reason for leaving, I wrote “stuff”.

LOL....

I like it. "Stuff" Well...she actually is YOUR kid, huh? "Fun"...

Posted:

Ping G400 5-wood
    Ping Anser G putter

Snell MTB-X

• MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Maine 20228Members Posts: 20,228

No. There is a better example to be set, in my opinion.

Posted:
    Titleist 915d3 9.5
    Titleist 917f3 15
    Titleist 816h2 19
    Titleist 716mb 3-Pw
    Vokey Sm7 52, 58
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #8
    Titleist ProV1
  • jj9000jj9000  2702ClubWRX Posts: 2,702

@MadGolfer76 said:

Says the Principal.

There's really no room for fun when attending Bushwood Elementary.

Posted:

@jj9000 said:

@MadGolfer76 said:

Says the Principal.

There's really no room for fun when attending Bushwood Elementary.

Well, taking time to address truancy really does distract from beating the children. Because, you know, that is what we are all in it for. That, and "summers off." lol

The funny thing about it is folks can have their cake and eat it too. Most schools, including mine, have a trip form for parents to fill out and submit for approval. That way, the school doesn't get dinged for truancy on the state report, kids can get their assignments before they go, and all the mommies and daddies can have their time with junior as they see fit without adding to the 10 day threshold. Unless that is just too much effort...

Posted:
    Titleist 915d3 9.5
    Titleist 917f3 15
    Titleist 816h2 19
    Titleist 716mb 3-Pw
    Vokey Sm7 52, 58
    Titleist ProV1

Advertisement
  • BertGABertGA  360Members Posts: 360

The report I have from my kids in elementary school, and 6th grade, is many teachers don’t even teach anymore. They just say “read this”.

Posted:

@BertGA said:
    The report I have from my kids in elementary school, and 6th grade, is many teachers don’t even teach anymore. They just say “read this”.

My daughters 3rd grade teacher emailed the parents fully admitting to losing control of the class last Wednesday so he instituted “think like a 3rd grader Thursday”. He basically just runs the projector without speaking for the day and the kids take turns giving instruction to each other. It’s their extra curricular day so they’re not with him much but it’s kind of weird. I expect it to maybe last one more week.

Posted:

@leezer99 said:

@BertGA said:

My daughters 3rd grade teacher emailed the parents fully admitting to losing control of the class last Wednesday so he instituted “think like a 3rd grader Thursday”. He basically just runs the projector without speaking for the day and the kids take turns giving instruction to each other. It’s their extra curricular day so they’re not with him much but it’s kind of weird. I expect it to maybe last one more week.

You should expect more than this as a parent. Unfortunately, what many teachers run into are kids who are so unprepared to learn that they can't focus on traditional models of instruction (really, any models of instruction), and if you get four or five in the same room, it turns into a mess. It is like teaching to a school of goldfish - a growing number of kids can't focus on a task for more than 5 minutes without getting bored and acting out, and then you see actions like this as a result. Without support from administrators who are willing to have tough conversations with all parties, stuff like this will keep going on. There are so many kids who come to school in good faith, but get pulled down in the foolishness.

Posted:
    Titleist 915d3 9.5
    Titleist 917f3 15
    Titleist 816h2 19
    Titleist 716mb 3-Pw
    Vokey Sm7 52, 58
    Titleist ProV1

@MadGolfer76 said:

@leezer99 said:

@BertGA said:

You should expect more than this as a parent. Unfortunately, what many teachers run into are kids who are so unprepared to learn that they can't focus on traditional models of instruction (really, any models of instruction), and if you get four or five in the same room, it turns into a mess. It is like teaching to a school of goldfish - a growing number of kids can't focus on a task for more than 5 minutes without getting bored and acting out, and then you see actions like this as a result. Without support from administrators who are willing to have tough conversations with all parties, stuff like this will keep going on. There are so many kids who come to school in good faith, but get pulled down in the foolishness.

I probably should have added that he’sa first year teacher but has been an assistant for a number of years. The last first year teacher we had was for my son’s 3rd grade and he would come home telling us “Mrs T cried in class again today”. I’m sure word will get back to the principal and he will get the support he needs.

Posted:

@MadGolfer76 said:

@leezer99 said:

@BertGA said:

a growing number of kids can't focus on a task for more than 5 minutes without getting bored and acting out

When I say I could write a book on this I'm not joking. Some people are asking me to write a book on this. Made some discoveries about a decade ago regarding pediatric neurological data and used it to help my son. His recovery from what they called autism was so great that he and I were filmed for a part in an international documentary on the disorder. My ugly mug was on the screen at Cannes Film Fest. Yeah...kids (especially the boys) are in dire straights these days in terms of conditions we like to call autism, adhd, etc. But, throw in the severe peanut allergies that have changed the public education environment and the proliferation of asthma and therein are the clues... Kids are different now and the challenges will grow for quite some time. My hat is off if you're an educator. I've toyed with the idea of being a math teacher when I retire from engineering. They're desperate for math teachers these days and I love kids. I'll just get a bowl of goldfish first to practice...

I've mentioned my son here in the past. The other day he was riding home in my truck and started to talk about an assignment where he would need to write about a hero. He said I was his hero for "rescuing me from autism". I was floored by this. Good thing I had my sunglasses on...

Posted:

Ping G400 5-wood
    Ping Anser G putter

Snell MTB-X

Advertisement

@BeerPerHole said:

@MadGolfer76 said:

@leezer99 said:

@BertGA said:

a growing number of kids can't focus on a task for more than 5 minutes without getting bored and acting out

When I say I could write a book on this I'm not joking. Some people are asking me to write a book on this. Made some discoveries about a decade ago regarding pediatric neurological data and used it to help my son. His recovery from what they called autism was so great that he and I were filmed for a part in an international documentary on the disorder. My ugly mug was on the screen at Cannes Film Fest. Yeah...kids (especially the boys) are in dire straights these days in terms of conditions we like to call autism, adhd, etc. But, throw in the severe peanut allergies that have changed the public education environment and the proliferation of asthma and therein are the clues... Kids are different now and the challenges will grow for quite some time. My hat is off if you're an educator. I've toyed with the idea of being a math teacher when I retire from engineering. They're desperate for math teachers these days and I love kids. I'll just get a bowl of goldfish first to practice...

I've mentioned my son here in the past. The other day he was riding home in my truck and started to talk about an assignment where he would need to write about a hero. He said I was his hero for "rescuing me from autism". I was floored by this. Good thing I had my sunglasses on...

I would be interested in hearing more. If you care to share resources or your knowledge please DM me.

Posted:

@BeerPerHole said:

@MadGolfer76 said:

@leezer99 said:

@BertGA said:

I know a lot of kids with autism, and they are often the least disruptive in my school. They just want to go about their business and keep to a pattern that works for them. Usually are very dedicated students. My issue is the parents who who let the electronics parent their kids (and the fallout that creates), but that is a whole other thread.

Posted:
    Titleist 915d3 9.5
    Titleist 917f3 15
    Titleist 816h2 19
    Titleist 716mb 3-Pw
    Vokey Sm7 52, 58
    Titleist ProV1

@leezer99 said:

@MadGolfer76 said:

@leezer99 said:

@BertGA said:

I probably should have added that he’sa first year teacher but has been an assistant for a number of years. The last first year teacher we had was for my son’s 3rd grade and he would come home telling us “Mrs T cried in class again today”. I’m sure word will get back to the principal and he will get the support he needs.

In my school, that wouldn't be okay for a first year teacher or a veteran teacher, although I get what you are saying. I used to teach in universities and helped train a lot of young teachers. None of them know what they are getting into and less than half of them come out of college emotionally prepared to deal with the fact that they will be social workers primarily. The average attrition rate for new teachers is five years. For administrators it is less.

Posted:
    Titleist 915d3 9.5
    Titleist 917f3 15
    Titleist 816h2 19
    Titleist 716mb 3-Pw
    Vokey Sm7 52, 58
    Titleist ProV1
  • Tannerbug33Tannerbug33  147Members Posts: 147

We checked out early last week for a practice round. Honestly don't think it will affect him much he just missed weight training. And we walked 9 holes so we got his cardio in

Posted:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file