What if we had a crowd watching our ball?

iNeedMoreGolf

Anyone else think we might shave some strokes off if every shot we had a crowd of ppl pointing to where are ball landed or went? How many times have you hit a great shot and its just gone? Saw it land in the fairway or roll just into the ruff? Going to be honest when that happend i dont even count it. Unless i hook one into OB or woods or water. A perfeclty good findable shot shouldnt be penalized in my opinion. How about soaking fairways? Tilted tee boxes? Fairway, rough or greens not in good shape? I have to say sometimes i wonder would all this just shave a few strokes off if we had it like the pros but on less tougher courses of course. At least not from the black tees lol whites or blues please. Thoughts?

> @iNeedMoreGolf said:

> Anyone else think we might shave some strokes off if every shot we had a crowd of ppl pointing to where are ball landed or went? How many times have you hit a great shot and its just gone? Saw it land in the fairway or roll just into the ruff? Going to be honest when that happend i dont even count it. Unless i hook one into OB or woods or water. A perfeclty good findable shot shouldnt be penalized in my opinion. How about soaking fairways? Tilted tee boxes? Fairway, rough or greens not in good shape? I have to say sometimes i wonder would all this just shave a few strokes off if we had it like the pros but on less tougher courses of course. At least not from the black tees lol whites or blues please. Thoughts?

It might shave an occasional stroke, but I bet it wouldn't amount to even one whole stroke per round. Not enough to worry about. Even so, I count them all, that's just golf.

I've played in amateur events with people walking, and yes it is easier to find balls....though its probably outweighed by the pressure of having people watch you hit shots LOL

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

> @"Dr.Frankenputz" said:

> I think it would actually cost my buddy a few strokes. He might have a harder time miraculously finding 100% of his balls by the edges of woods & water with someone watching.

We all know one of those idiots.

In the bag

10.5 degree Ping 400 | Stiff Ping Shaft 55 gram

5 - GW F7 Cobra variable | Regular Flex Steel

Titleist Vokey 56 degree F Grind 14 Bounce

Mizuno 60 S 18 Ion Blue 6 Bounce

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

Golf isn’t about the PGA tour and what goes on there. Golf is about you and how many it takes you to complete your round. The PGA tour is just there for entertainment.

• Like 2

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I'd actually like to see the opposite. The pros play a really tough course with no crowd or grandstands.

Put it on TV, but no assistance from the TV guys.

How many times you see guys hit shots that would be in jail, or lost but they get blocked or found because of all the people ir obstructions.

TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

I've had the same thought. It happens at least once a round for me. Hit a drive (not a terrible, not in a hazard) by the time I get up there the ball is nowhere to be found. I usually misjudge the distance, or someone else picks it up. Not a big deal as it's fun rounds with not so good golfers, but it makes me wonder. I also wonder if the youtube golfers drop a ball off camera. I've seen so many vids where they cut to the next shot and they are like just off from a border fence, or a foot from the water.

> @TerpFangolfer said:

> I'd actually like to see the opposite. The pros play a really tough course with no crowd or grandstands.

> Put it on TV, but no assistance from the TV guys.

>

> How many times you see guys hit shots that would be in jail, or lost but they get blocked or found because of all the people ir obstructions.

Exactly. Sometimes they have no clue where the ball is without their caddie or crowd or event workers lol no doubt some rounds they pick up at least a stroke once in a while. The bigger difference i believe is for us. I dont think we're getting special events and crowds for us though anytime soon.

This is going to sound completely like a passive brag, but honestly, I rarely lose balls. Except for fall golf with a bunch of leaves, I can count on one hand the number of "lost balls" during the course of the year (this is not counting balls lost in water).

• Like 1

Thousands of people asking me for autographs, lots of babies to kiss, Women throwing me their room keys, and all of that before I even tee off. Oooo's and Ahhh's after my first baby fade drive of 352. Etc etc etc. B) B) B)

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

> @larrybud said:

> This is going to sound completely like a passive brag, but honestly, I rarely lose balls. Except for fall golf with a bunch of leagues, I can count on one hand the number of "lost balls" during the course of the year (this is not counting balls lost in water).

It's not a passive brag. A lot depends on course too. We have 3 nines....I would say on one of them I probably lost 1-2 balls the entire season if even that

And that's over 400 holes

On one of our other 9's I've lost 2-3 balls in some

individual rounds

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

> @iNeedMoreGolf said:

> Anyone else think we might shave some strokes off if every shot we had a crowd of ppl pointing to where are ball landed or went? How many times have you hit a great shot and its just gone? Saw it land in the fairway or roll just into the ruff? Going to be honest when that happend i dont even count it. Unless i hook one into OB or woods or water. A perfeclty good findable shot shouldnt be penalized in my opinion. How about soaking fairways? Tilted tee boxes? Fairway, rough or greens not in good shape? I have to say sometimes i wonder would all this just shave a few strokes off if we had it like the pros but on less tougher courses of course. At least not from the black tees lol whites or blues please. Thoughts?

I know my short putting is always better on greens that are more tour like, but most people putt better on those type of greens as long as they get used to the speed. The one thing that always stands out to me when I play a course that is close to being tour level condition is how short the grass is in the tee box. IMO it makes a difference when the bottom of your huge driver head is not brushing up against grass that is a little on the long side.

I'd love to have grandstands around the green instead of the woods that I currently deal with. Give me a nice ricochet and a free drop instead of a ball in the forest.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Bettinardi BB-1W

> @iNeedMoreGolf said:

Agreed. Feel like this happens often enough at most public courses. Most common problem with public courses is sand traps, they are often poorly maintained, containing rocks or hard packed dirt instead of fluffy sand. I also wonder if plush rough also helps the pros. With most public courses, balls end up in patchy spots, nestled down in a hard pan between larger tufts of grass. Then I also remember the speed of the greens they typically play on. Whatever strokes I feel like I wouldn't have wasted "if I was a pro" I then remember that I'm also not putting on greens as difficult to hold and so fast that they're almost impossible to read.

you might whiff a few from the pressure. I remember attending the GGO many years ago. Must have been seen about 10 pros duff their second shots on this par 5. downhill with water in front. If they can., you know you can :)

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

I agree with the poster above me... having a spotter or forecaddie would definitely help the amateur golfer from losing balls that "just" crept into the woods or hazard, resulting in maybe a couple of stroke difference per round. That said, having an actual gallery would likely ratchet up the pressure, so I'm not sure that would improve the amateur's game.

I know that the people in the rules forums bristle at this sort of thing, but most of my friends and I play "casual" rounds during the fall and winter, where we relax the rules of golf for the small betting between ourselves to increase pace of play and fun. We don't take mulligans, but we do allow for small modifications like if your ball is near a root, move it off the root without taking a drop. If we all see your ball go under some leaves right off of the fairway (ie: not deep into the woods or something) but we can't find it when we get up there, drop nearest to where we agree your ball went. If it is damp outside due to rain, frost or morning dew, play lift clean and place. If the greens have been punched, you can move it off of an aeration hole. If we are playing in a tournament or with other people, we'll play it down and by the strict rules, but if we're amongst ourselves, we make those kind of adjustments.

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

Most course tee boxes are so awful... lopsided and patchy or too many divots unrepaired. The lopsided though really gets me. How am i supposed to hit a straight drive with the ball 2 3 or more inches above my feet? Not something pros deal with. Even thereally nice courses have lopsided tee boxes. Sand traps? More like chopped up rock traps most of the time. Are we really suppoed to be hitting a wedge we just spent good money on out of these things filled with rocks? The pebbles to sand ratio seems to be at least 50 50 some places.. a few are great.. some are absolutely awful that i take my ball out. Not fair i want to play sand not pebbles? Lol

Maybe 1 stroke a round??

Also, what about the no name guys on tour who tee off at 7am on Thursday? They don't have some massive crowd following them. What we see on TV on a Sunday afternoon isn't always the majority of what goes on during a tourney. When I went to the PGA this year on Friday, I followed Cam Champ for a bunch of holes. At certain points I was pretty much the only person within 20-30 yards of him or his ball. This was around 8-9am... Golf course was still full of players, but not tons of people yet.