2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

I want an official GHIN handicap app. Where to begin?

I am wanting an official GHIN handicap app tracker and don’t want to use the GHIN app as it seems not to work well and doesn’t get any good reviews.

I currently track all my rounds on the handicap app (pic posted) but it isn’t official. I don’t really play in any tournaments but if i do, I’d like to already be compliant and I’d like to track my official handicap.

I know I need to join the TGA(Tennesee Golf Association) for $30 and get my GHIN member number but what is a good app that works, is consistent and is officially consistent with the GHIN, but not their app. Unless that is my only option.

Any help? Thanks.

ki7b1sgat49j.png

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

In real life, I'm a software engineer. Yes, the GHIN app is a mess of terrible UI, UX (hamburger menu as a primary navigation needs to die in a fire but some godawful PMs won't let it) and hasn't been updated in any significant way in 5+ years. I have no doubt if I were tasked with a code review; it'd be extraordinarily ugly.

That being said; it's the only official one I'm aware of - some clubs may have their own, I dunno - but it does what it needs to do. :shrug:

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

> @Kgglonghorn said:

> get an android. I am in GHIN all the time and I have never had a single issue with navigation or stability.

Same here, I don't have a problem navigating the app. I'm not sure that you can join the TGA and get a handicap, you're required to be a member of a club to get an official handicap. You can probably do that at a public course near you, if you're not a member of a private club now. But if your Authorized Golf Association has chosen GHIN for its computational service, you're required to used GHIN for your USGA Handicap Index. Your other option is to use an authorized Type 3 (basically internet-based) golf club, which may use its own data and computational app. It looks like your current app has that capability, it might require a payment of some kind.

When I did my trip to California I joined the NCGA and their app was pretty decent.

It gets you a full GHIN membership as well as discounts at varios NorCal clubs if you ever end up going there.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

> @jvincent said:

> When I did my trip to California I joined the NCGA and their app was pretty decent.

>

> It gets you a full GHIN membership as well as discounts at varios NorCal clubs if you ever end up going there.

Do you live in northern California? In theory, you're supposed to have a regular opportunity to play with other club members, even for Type 3 (internet-based) clubs. If not, there's no real opportunity for any peer review of your scores. This is the reason that my home club takes only a portion of the handicap provided by e-clubs for guests, even though it's an official USGA handicap.

> @davep043 said:

> > @Kgglonghorn said:

> > get an android. I am in GHIN all the time and I have never had a single issue with navigation or stability.

>

> Same here, I don't have a problem navigating the app. I'm not sure that you can join the TGA and get a handicap, you're required to be a member of a club to get an official handicap. You can probably do that at a public course near you, if you're not a member of a private club now. But if your Authorized Golf Association has chosen GHIN for its computational service, you're required to used GHIN for your USGA Handicap Index. Your other option is to use an authorized Type 3 (basically internet-based) golf club, which may use its own data and computational app. It looks like your current app has that capability, it might require a payment of some kind.

On the TGA Website it lists several public course for you to select. I assume you don’t have to be a member but select a “home course?” No?

There are no golf c;lubs near me that will let me participate in the GHIN unless I join as a member of the club. So I had to look at the online options.

You can get an officially recognized (USGA approved HC if you will), at USHandicap.com for about 30.00/ year.

Its easy to use on my Android. Ive been using it for 3 years.

You can sign up and use the app for free, but you won''t get a real handicap or full access to all of the app features until you pay up.

If you sign up and your HC doesnt show up right away, be aware that it wont until either the 1st or 15th of the month when the HC revisions happen.

> @davep043 said:

> > @jvincent said:

> > When I did my trip to California I joined the NCGA and their app was pretty decent.

> >

> > It gets you a full GHIN membership as well as discounts at varios NorCal clubs if you ever end up going there.

>

> Do you live in northern California? In theory, you're supposed to have a regular opportunity to play with other club members, even for Type 3 (internet-based) clubs. If not, there's no real opportunity for any peer review of your scores. This is the reason that my home club takes only a portion of the handicap provided by e-clubs for guests, even though it's an official USGA handicap.

No, I live in Canada.

My main reason for joining was to get the discounts and GHIN came for free. The RCGA handicap system is the same as the USGA and we have had the ability to post scores at US courses for a while now.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

So even if i sign up, we are all saying it’s the GHIN app or bust?

And yes I’m an iPhone guy. (Company phone)

> @Minarets said:

> So even if i sign up, we are all saying it’s the GHIN app or bust?

If you join a Tennessee club, you have to use the computation services that the Tennessee association has chosen. The only option is to join a Type 3 club, like the one @DivinDave suggests up there, in which case I have to assume you'll be using their own proprietary app. As I mentioned, some of us from "brick and mortar" clubs will be a little bit skeptical of those handicaps, even thought they ARE USGA official.

> @davep043 said:

> > @Minarets said:

> > So even if i sign up, we are all saying it’s the GHIN app or bust?

>

> If you join a Tennessee club, you have to use the computation services that the Tennessee association has chosen. The only option is to join a Type 3 club, like the one @DivinDave suggests up there, in which case I have to assume you'll be using their own proprietary app. As I mentioned, some of us from "brick and mortar" clubs will be a little bit skeptical of those handicaps, even thought they ARE USGA official.

>

you only trust handicaps from private course members?

> @Minarets said:

> > @davep043 said:

> > > @Minarets said:

> > > So even if i sign up, we are all saying it’s the GHIN app or bust?

> >

> > If you join a Tennessee club, you have to use the computation services that the Tennessee association has chosen. The only option is to join a Type 3 club, like the one @DivinDave suggests up there, in which case I have to assume you'll be using their own proprietary app. As I mentioned, some of us from "brick and mortar" clubs will be a little bit skeptical of those handicaps, even thought they ARE USGA official.

> >

>

> you only trust handicaps from private course members?

>

I believe DP means non-virtual clubs (muni, public, semi-private, private). Being a member of a virtual club online tends to imply that one does not play with fellow members who provide some degree of score and handicap verification. Hence the reduction in handicap strokes shows a lack of trust that the handicap is fully legitimate in the same way a handicap is at a B&M club.

• Like 1

> @ThinkingPlus said:

> > @Minarets said:

> > you only trust handicaps from private course members?

>

> I believe DP means non-virtual clubs (muni, public, semi-private, private). Being a member of a virtual club online tends to imply that one does not play with fellow members who provide some degree of score and handicap verification. Hence the reduction in handicap strokes shows a lack of trust that the handicap is fully legitimate in the same way a handicap is at a B&M club.

This is exactly correct. If there is a functioning handicap committee reviewing posting records and verifying tournament scores, if members of the club (at a private facility or a public one) play with one another and have an opportunity to review each other's scores (the peer review concept), there is a decreased opportunity for handicap manipulation. With Type 3 Clubs, I just don't see this happening. Most of the largest variations between score and handicap in our Member Guest tournaments over the years have come from Guests with Type 3 handicaps. Consequently, we've had to adapt our procedures regarding folks whose handicaps come from Type 3 clubs.

> @chippa13 said:

> Nah, its just pomposity rearing its head.

Actually, no, at least I hope not. I'll let the group here form their own opinions, but my opinion is a voice of experience from someone who actually does the unpopular job of working on a Handicap Committee. Its easy to write snide 7-word posts, its a lot harder to try to make things right.

• Like 1

> @chippa13 said:

> These threads are littered with "regular games cheaters" and club guys who thumb their noses at the rules but its the "virtual club" guys who are the problem.

You're correct. No one cares about the vanity handicap player when he or she shows up. What is resented is the mystery player who shows up with an index far too high. That player may have benefited from a virtual club environment where there is no effective peer review or committee.

• Like 1

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

We've had numerous threads like this over the past dozen or so years. In about 90+% of those threads it eventually comes out that the OP actually wants an "official" USGA handicap because he needs it in order to play in a tournament. It typically takes a number of pages for this to be admitted. I would like to encourage golfers to join a club and get involved in participating with fellow club members as much as possible - including participating in club activities and tournaments. Do it right!

Also - GHIN is getting a new suite of products in 2020. So perhaps the updated app will be more to your liking? There will be changes to eGolfer for those that use it. (You can post hole-by-hole scores and track stats on eGolfer.) If you want to retain those records - you need to act. Here is a link:

https://ghin.com/

Are you ready for the Launch of the World Handicap System?

GHIN is getting ready to launch a new suite of products in the new year.

Following the launch, eGolfer will no longer be supported, but similar functionality will be made available on the mobile app and GHIN.com.

Be prepared and save any desired eGolfer reports prior to the end of the year.

I wonder if this means hole by hole posting will be a choice on the app?

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

I just want a HC that is “official” and not looked down upon by others. I have no problem paying 30 to join the TGA and using then GHIN app but if you read the reviews there aren’t many positive ones in the last 6months.

> @Minarets said:

> I just want a HC that is “official” and not looked down upon by others. I have no problem paying 30 to join the TGA and using then GHIN app but if you read the reviews there aren’t many positive ones in the last 6months.

What reviews are you looking at? I'm no programmer, but I don't have any problems at all with the app, maybe we can ease some of your concerns.

I am an iPhone user and never had an issue with the ghin app when I had it. I let my membership go and now use the grint. It is a USGA compliant index. The only reason I even keep it is so I can play St Andrews when I decide to go there. In addition. To keeping a compliant index, the grint also doubles as a gps app and score/stat tracking.

> @davep043 said:

> > @Minarets said:

> > I just want a HC that is “official” and not looked down upon by others. I have no problem paying 30 to join the TGA and using then GHIN app but if you read the reviews there aren’t many positive ones in the last 6months.

>

> What reviews are you looking at? I'm no programmer, but I don't have any problems at all with the app, maybe we can ease some of your concerns.

The iPhone app reviews. Go to the App Store, search for the app and read away. Sort by most recent. Not a good one in the last year or so

> @"mark m" said:

> We've had numerous threads like this over the past dozen or so years. In about 90+% of those threads it eventually comes out that the OP actually wants an "official" USGA handicap because he needs it in order to play in a tournament. It typically takes a number of pages for this to be admitted. I would like to encourage golfers to join a club and get involved in participating with fellow club members as much as possible - including participating in club activities and tournaments. Do it right!

>

> Also - GHIN is getting a new suite of products in 2020. So perhaps the updated app will be more to your liking? There will be changes to eGolfer for those that use it. (You can post hole-by-hole scores and track stats on eGolfer.) If you want to retain those records - you need to act. Here is a link:

>

> https://ghin.com/

>

> Are you ready for the Launch of the World Handicap System?

>

> GHIN is getting ready to launch a new suite of products in the new year.

>

> Following the launch, eGolfer will no longer be supported, but similar functionality will be made available on the mobile app and GHIN.com.

> Be prepared and save any desired eGolfer reports prior to the end of the year.

>

> I wonder if this means hole by hole posting will be a choice on the app?

>

Sure, just join a club. Because everyone has the means and time to make a club membership worthwhile.

Another iPhone user of the GHIN app and I’ve never had an issue. Works perfectly.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I use GHIN on iPhone also and never had a problem. I use it every day I’m on the course. And next year caps will change every day, so I’m already preloaded with everyone I play with on the app.

I’m really not sure where the hate for the GHIN app comes from. I wish the database was deeper, but for it’s main use, looking up player handicaps in real time, it absolutely succeeds.

> @chippa13 said:

> > @"mark m" said:

> > We've had numerous threads like this over the past dozen or so years. In about 90+% of those threads it eventually comes out that the OP actually wants an "official" USGA handicap because he needs it in order to play in a tournament. It typically takes a number of pages for this to be admitted. I would like to encourage golfers to join a club and get involved in participating with fellow club members as much as possible - including participating in club activities and tournaments. Do it right!

> >

> > Also - GHIN is getting a new suite of products in 2020. So perhaps the updated app will be more to your liking? There will be changes to eGolfer for those that use it. (You can post hole-by-hole scores and track stats on eGolfer.) If you want to retain those records - you need to act. Here is a link:

> >

> > https://ghin.com/

> >

> > Are you ready for the Launch of the World Handicap System?

> >

> > GHIN is getting ready to launch a new suite of products in the new year.

> >

> > Following the launch, eGolfer will no longer be supported, but similar functionality will be made available on the mobile app and GHIN.com.

> > Be prepared and save any desired eGolfer reports prior to the end of the year.

> >

> > I wonder if this means hole by hole posting will be a choice on the app?

> >

>

> Sure, just join a club. Because everyone has the means and time to make a club membership worthwhile.

I’m not sure what that means. Our club is $90 and includes the GHIN handicap. Entering events is $10.

You don’t need to join a private course to join a men’s golf club. Nearly every public course has a men’s club of some sort. In fact there are state, and national, events, the Publinks, that are exclusively for public course men’s clubs.

If you aren’t playing handicapped events, you don’t really need a handicap.

> @chippa13 said:

> Nah, its just pomposity rearing its head.

> @chippa13 said:

> These threads are littered with "regular games cheaters" and club guys who thumb their noses at the rules but its the "virtual club" guys who are the problem.

> @chippa13 said:

> Sure, just join a club. Because everyone has the means and time to make a club membership worthwhile.

Perhaps you have some productive advice for the OP? It doesn't seem that way so far, but who knows.

Just in case you don't understand the terminology, everyone who has an official handicap is required to be a member of a club. That doesn't mean a private club, there are a number of different club structures. That can include clubs based at a single primary course, clubs that don't play at a primary course, or club where people have no prior connection (like internet-based clubs).

Something for the OP to consider, the GHIN app doesn't have alternates, not if you want to have a handicap within your home area. If that regional association uses GHIN, you have to use GHIN. Because of that, I imagine that you'd get a lot more negative reviews than positive. If it works well, most people will simply accept it, if they perceive a problem, they'll complain. If there's a real choice between apps, people are more likely to recommend one over the other.

• Like 1

> @Minarets said:

> I just want a HC that is “official” and not looked down upon by others. I have no problem paying 30 to join the TGA and using then GHIN app but if you read the reviews there aren’t many positive ones in the last 6months.

The TGA may have their own app as well that is linked to GHIN. The MGA (Massachusetts) does. I personally don't have any problems with the GHIN app or site, but I'll occasionally use the MGA app because it lets me look at my scoring history further back than the GHIN app does.

> @SecondandGoal said:

> > @Minarets said:

> > I just want a HC that is “official” and not looked down upon by others. I have no problem paying 30 to join the TGA and using then GHIN app but if you read the reviews there aren’t many positive ones in the last 6months.

>

> The TGA may have their own app as well that is linked to GHIN. The MGA (Massachusetts) does. I personally don't have any problems with the GHIN app or site, but I'll occasionally use the MGA app because it lets me look at my scoring history further back than the GHIN app does.

How far back can you look? At least on my Android phone, I can look back a full 12 months within the GHIN app.