2020 PGA Merchandise Show Coverage.... Here.

Titleist Tour Soft Question

hackerboy ·  
hackerboyhackerboy  521WRX Points: 76Members Posts: 521

Ok, I think I may have really done it this time. Every year or so I buy my wife 12 dozen logo balls (her logo). The past few years it was NXT tours. This year, I went for Tour Softs. I just finished a round with these, then hit about 50 chips and pitches from 20 yards, comparing it to Pro V1 (which I usually use), and NXT tours. Unless I’m getting yippy looking at the new logo, it seems that virtually every pitch shot I hit with the Tour Soft launched noticeably higher, with very limited spin compared to the other balls. The Pro V1 is no comparison, from the sound to the performance. But even the NXT seemed better, launched lower for me on the 20 yarders. Is it possible that a ball could launch that much higher on a short 20 yard shot, using identical technique?

Posted:

Comments

• chippa13chippa13  2510WRX Points: 268Members Posts: 2,510

Yes.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • hackerboyhackerboy  521WRX Points: 76Members Posts: 521

I mean really high!! I could not control it at all. I’m a decent pitcher/chipper, with 20 yards my kill shot. With Pro Vs 8/10 come in low, check and stop. With the Tour Soft, high, clunky, several launched right of where I wanted. I try to play a low spinning draw shot, and the Tour Soft wanted no part of it. Seems like the old NXT tour grabbed better. Unscientific. Would love to see launch monitor stats. Again, I’m staring down at a new large logo, so have testing bias.

Posted:
  • elwhippyelwhippy  3364WRX Points: 327Members Posts: 3,364

Considering the price this is a pretty poor ball. Hence why it is being phased out. I tried some and the lack of control is akin to a ball half the price.

Posted:

On -, @elwhippy said:

Considering the price this is a pretty poor ball. Hence why it is being phased out.

Wow, I didn’t know it was being phased out. Dumb me assuming it would play as good as the NXT Tour did. Still have 141 balls left w wife’s logo. That’s a lot of long pitches and bogies.

Posted:
  • dkelly1269dkelly1269  109WRX Points: 84Members Posts: 109

I really liked the ball for my game but it is way overpriced. It's not going to check hard at all. It depends on loft to settle in.

Posted:
  • grm24grm24 Western PA 4024WRX Points: 1,132Members Posts: 4,024

On -, @elwhippy said:

Considering the price this is a pretty poor ball. Hence why it is being phased out.

Phased out or refreshed? The Tour Soft was released in January 2018. That puts it in the 2 year ball window that Titleist uses for an update. So if it's being phased out what is Titleist replacing it with?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • 1Mordrid11Mordrid1  852WRX Points: 222Members Posts: 852

Yup it is a horrible ball based on the price and what it was supposed to do. Of course when it was released there was plenty of titleist fans saying it was their utopia ball, and the best spinning non urethane ball ever. You don't hear or see much of that anymore.

In reality there were quite a few non urethane balls from other brands that out performed the Tour Soft for a lot less $$. In fact Titleist's own new TruFeel is a better ball in just about every aspect and it is $22 per dozen compared to the $35 per dozen msrp of the Tour Soft. If the Tour Soft was a $20 or even $25 ball, it would not be judged so harshly. But for $35 you better be bringing something other than a name to the table.

Posted:
    WITB

PXG  0811x Oban Tour Limited 04
    Callaway Rogue 4 wood w/ Oban Kiyoshi White 4 65g
    PXG 0317 19 Hybrid Fujikura Pro 2.0 s
    Srixon U65 20° Miyazaki Kaula 7 s
    PXG 0211 irons 5-G True Temper Elevate 95 S (1°flat 1°weak D4)
    PING Glide 3.0 TS 56/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    PING Glide 3.0 SS 60/KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    PXG Mustang 365g single bend
    Snell MTB Black
  • Twism86Twism86  453WRX Points: 79Members Posts: 453

I bought a dozen when they first came out, as I liked the NXT series. I still havent managed to lose them all because after playing a round or two I cannot stand them. They just dont "do" anything. Its an overpriced 2-piece ball that is best kept in your shag bag. Im not at all surprised by you post and I feel bad that you now have 144 of these!

Posted:
    TM AeroBurner 9.5*
    TM SpeedBlades 4-PW
    Odyssey White Hot RX #1
    A bunch of random wedges

Totally agree with criticism here. I’ve now played 3 rounds with them. Zero stopping ability on pitch and bunker shots. One good thing- a few times a round I’ll somewhat chunk a shot, and it gets closer than I deserve. Also- My driving is somewhat better since I truly don’t care about losing a ball (vs a new Pro V1). Down to 137 balls to go.

Posted:

On -, @hackerboy said:

Totally agree with criticism here. I’ve now played 3 rounds with them. Zero stopping ability on pitch and bunker shots. One good thing- a few times a round I’ll somewhat chunk a shot, and it gets closer than I deserve. Also- My driving is somewhat better since I truly don’t care about losing a ball (vs a new Pro V1). Down to 137 balls to go.

Grip it and rip it!

Posted:
    TM AeroBurner 9.5*
    TM SpeedBlades 4-PW
    Odyssey White Hot RX #1
    A bunch of random wedges
  • j.a.j.a.  1654WRX Points: 152Members Posts: 1,654

On -, @1Mordrid1 said:

Yup it is a horrible ball based on the price and what it was supposed to do. Of course when it was released there was plenty of titleist fans saying it was their utopia ball, and the best spinning non urethane ball ever. You don't hear or see much of that anymore.

I don’t find it that horrible. I bought a sleeve and I was surprised with the good results, it performed better than the B330RX I was using.

In reality there were quite a few non urethane balls from other brands that out performed the Tour Soft for a lot less $$. In fact Titleist's own new TruFeel is a better ball in just about every aspect and it is $22 per dozen compared to the $35 per dozen msrp of the Tour Soft. If the Tour Soft was a $20 or even $25 ball, it would not be judged so harshly. But for $35 you better be bringing something other than a name to the table.

I couldn’t agree more. As soon as they arrived to the Pro Shop, I got a sleeve, in few words this is the best ball I ever played. 20m more with the driver, launch is high, straight, long, easy chips and flop shots, it holds decently. Much better than the Tour Soft and Velocity at least to my game. This is what I will play onwards.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • bodhi555bodhi555  923WRX Points: 289Handicap: 8Members Posts: 923

I picked up a dozen over the summer and found them pretty decent if I'm honest. Went well, were great in the wind, and with the softer conditions we had in the UK this year they stopped round the greens absolutely fine. In fact I had more success stopping a Tour Soft in the height of summer than I did with an AVX. There are still a few balls I'd rather play, but if you gave me a sleeve and told me to go shoot a score, I'd feel perfectly comfortable doing so.

Think they were £27 for a dozen when I got them, so cheaper than the bulk of the Urethane options over here. Not stunning value, but I certainly didn't feel cheated.

Posted:
    The Dee Three: Titleist 917 D3 9.5 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 65X
    The Stenson: Titleist 917 F3 15 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 75X
    The Walking Stick: Titleist 818 H2 19 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 85X
    The Blades: Nike VR Pro 4i - PW - DG S400 TI Shaft
    The Rusties: Nike Engage 50, 54 Square Sole, 58 Toe Sweep
    The Putter: Nike "The Oven" Method 003
    Balls: Nike RZN Tour Black/Platinum, Bridgestone Tour B XS, Titleist AVX
    Bag: Sun Mountain Four Five

Posted:
  • 1Mordrid11Mordrid1  852WRX Points: 222Members Posts: 852

It will be interesting to see how the new designs perform, because the Tru-feel IMO made both of those balls almost obsolete and at a lower price. It is interesting that they would try to change the velocity's characteristics and spin, because most of the people I know that play it, play it because of the extra distance they get from the roll out even with irons.

Posted:
    WITB

PXG  0811x Oban Tour Limited 04
    Callaway Rogue 4 wood w/ Oban Kiyoshi White 4 65g
    PXG 0317 19 Hybrid Fujikura Pro 2.0 s
    Srixon U65 20° Miyazaki Kaula 7 s
    PXG 0211 irons 5-G True Temper Elevate 95 S (1°flat 1°weak D4)
    PING Glide 3.0 TS 56/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    PING Glide 3.0 SS 60/KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    PXG Mustang 365g single bend
    Snell MTB Black

The $35 price point is what kills it for me, aside from not liking the performance. At that price you can find 3-piece balls with urethane covers.

Posted:
    TM AeroBurner 9.5*
    TM SpeedBlades 4-PW
    Odyssey White Hot RX #1
    A bunch of random wedges

There really is no need for a two piece surlyn covered ball at that crazy of a price point. I'll be content with my $20/dozen Z-Star XV balls.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Nomad GolferNomad Golfer  861WRX Points: 124Handicap: yesMembers Posts: 861

I'm sticking with the NXT Tour S which is a medium compression ball, and the W/S Duo, a soft ball very suited to my vintage set.

Glad I found out about the Tour Soft before wasting money on them.

Posted:

TM bag at home base, Macs on the road
    Flexible TM bag:
    TM r7- 425 driver 11.5*
    Brosnan Regent #5 wood
    BB HeavenWood #7 wood
    Titleist DCI black 5 7 9 PW SW, Lovett LW 60*
    Proline CopperHead putter
    Titleist NXT Tour S balls

Vintage MacGregor bag:
    vintage #1 5 7 woods
    MacGregor Classics 5 - SW, Dunlop LW
    Proline Original Series V putter
    W/S Duo balls

Note: My brother gave me an 8 year old TM R11s and
    I'm playing around with the settings. Looks promising.

• apj0524apj0524  64WRX Points: 41Handicap: HighMembers Posts: 64

I agree the price point is too high for these but I think that for most golf balls.

However coming from playing Chromesofts that I have fell out of love with having tried these I like them so I have been shopping around in the UK for deals on these for the links golf I play I have no problem chipping them in low an letting them run up to the hole and on the parkland I just allow for some run out.

Off my driver I think they are great feel nice and don't get too spiny and I like the feel off my irons

I guess each to his own, having said that I played with  a Chrome soft on Saturday in 5 deg C temperature and like this again

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.