2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Player Scoring Records

Newby

Both posts above are correct, but most players now would use the GHIN app for smart phone which provides more info on a players scoring record in various categories which are not available using ghin.com/lookup. I mention those in post #122 (page 5) in the thread _New World Handicap System_.

A couple of other points:

* When you sign up for an event ouside of your club - like a state tournament, or member-guest, or whatever - you will be asked for your GHIN number on the entry form. With your GHIN number the Committee can get your most recent handicap and also get a more detailed look at a record if they so choose.

* Some courses post handicap reports on bulletin boards which have all members' GHIN numbers - so you can add those to your phone app if you really want to see the full record.

* It used to be - and still may be the case - that you could see the full scoring record for a club member using the score posting computer at the home golf course. I assume this is still the case but have not used it recently. I am sure someone will correct me if necessary.

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

> @"mark m" said:

> Both posts above are correct, but most players now would use the GHIN app for smart phone which provides more info on a players scoring record in various categories which are not available using ghin.com/lookup. I mention those in post #122 (page 5) in the thread _New World Handicap System_.

>

> A couple of other points:

> * When you sign up for an event ouside of your club - like a state tournament, or member-guest, or whatever - you will be asked for your GHIN number on the entry form. With your GHIN number the Committee can get your most recent handicap and also get a more detailed look at a record if they so choose.

> *** Some courses post handicap reports on bulletin boards which have all members' GHIN numbers** - so you can add those to your phone app if you really want to see the full record.

> * It used to be - and still may be the case - that you could see the full scoring record for a club member using the score posting computer at the home golf course. I assume this is still the case but have not used it recently. I am sure someone will correct me if necessary.

>

>

Posting of scoring records is certainly allowed, but I'd hesitate to post the GHIN number alongside the names. That would allow anyone to post scores to that player's record. You can get enough information to do appropriate peer review without knowing the account number. You can add "Partners" to your phone app with just the name and state, so its easy to look up their current Handicap Index, but as you say, you cannot see his scoring record without the GHIN number.

I'll have to remember to look next time I'm in our pro shop, to see how long a history you can see for a player on the computer there. I'm sure it would show the revision scores, and the last 20, but I'm not sure if it would show any more. I know that GHIN keeps scoring records for at least 11 years, March 2008 is as far back as I can go with my own records using admin access.

> @"mark m" said:

> * When you sign up for an event ouside of your club - like a state tournament, or member-guest, or whatever - you will be asked for your GHIN number on the entry form. With your GHIN number the Committee can get your most recent handicap and also get a more detailed look at a record if they so choose.

>

This was the point I was interested in. Is this facility available to anyone or does the committee have to have an authorisation of some sort?

Even if you have another person's GHIN number, can you see their playing record without a password or security code?

> @Newby said:

> > @"mark m" said:

>

> > * When you sign up for an event ouside of your club - like a state tournament, or member-guest, or whatever - you will be asked for your GHIN number on the entry form. With your GHIN number the Committee can get your most recent handicap and also get a more detailed look at a record if they so choose.

> >

>

> This was the point I was interested in. Is this facility available to anyone or does the committee have to have an authorisation of some sort?

>

> Even if you have another person's GHIN number, can you see their playing record without a password or security code?

Knowing only the player's name and state, and home club, you can see the 20 scores that are counted in their current Handicap Index calculation. You can also see their most recent 20 scores, so you can see what they've shot, if you look right now, from 1 November to current. If you're really interested, you can go to https://ghin.com/lookup.aspx, select the "Name & State" tab, select any State, and use a common last name like Jones, and see what's available for review by absolutely anyone. This complies with the USGA Handicap rule that requires that the players records be available for inspection by "fellow members and others."

If you have their GHIN number, you still can't see any more from a simple "handicap lookup." To sign onto their account, you would choose "Post Scores", and enter the GHIN number and the last name. In essence, the GHI number functions as the password. Once you've logged on, you can see the last 12 months of scores, if you're using the phone app. If you use the website, you can still only see scores from the current revision.

If I log onto the system as an administrator (I'm the handicap chair at my home club) I can see the GHIN number, and his entire scoring and handicap history, for years back. I'd expect that most tournament administrators would be able to access the GHIN system using handicap administrator access. For admin access you need to know your Association Number, Club Number, and Club password.

I'm reading this before I post, and I'm struck again by the difference between the phone app and the actual website for GHIN. On the phone, I can look at my own scoring record in a lot of detail, going back a full year. But I cannot see anyone else's scoring record, only their current Handicap Index. On the website, I can see the current record for anyone, including myself, but I cannot see anything, including my own scores, going back any further than the current revision.

@davep043, you can see your partners/firends history on the GHIN app. Home-->Stats-->Tap your name in the top left and the list of saved partners pops up (assuming you add them partners section from the hamburger menu on the home screen). Select them and then you can look at all the regular stat categories (revision scores, yearly, rolling 12, last 20, tournament scores...).

We like to use this to roast our friends when they have average tourney scores lower than their last 20 average :D

> @"david.c.w" said:

> @davep043, you can see your partners/firends history on the GHIN app. Home-->Stats-->Tap your name in the top left and the list of saved partners pops up (assuming you add them partners section from the hamburger menu on the home screen). Select them and then you can look at all the regular stat categories (revision scores, yearly, rolling 12, last 20, tournament scores...).

>

> We like to use this to roast our friends when they have average tourney scores lower than their last 20 average :D

>

>

What is a "hamburger menu"?

> @"david.c.w" said:

> @davep043, you can see your partners/firends history on the GHIN app. Home-->Stats-->Tap your name in the top left and the list of saved partners pops up (assuming you add them partners section from the hamburger menu on the home screen). Select them and then you can look at all the regular stat categories (revision scores, yearly, rolling 12, last 20, tournament scores...).

>

> We like to use this to roast our friends when they have average tourney scores lower than their last 20 average :D

>

Ah, thanks, I hadn't thought of looking there.

> @ThinkingPlus said:

> What is a "hamburger menu"?

I've never heard it called that, but its on the drop-down menu that's reached by clicking the 3 little lines at the top left of the first page of the app.

> @Newby said:

> > @"mark m" said:

>

> > * When you sign up for an event ouside of your club - like a state tournament, or member-guest, or whatever - you will be asked for your GHIN number on the entry form. With your GHIN number the Committee can get your most recent handicap and also get a more detailed look at a record if they so choose.

> >

>

> This was the point I was interested in. Is this facility available to anyone or does the committee have to have an authorisation of some sort?

>

> Even if you have another person's GHIN number, can you see their playing record without a password or security code?

In this country, with a person's GolfLink no (10 digits, first five designate a specific club, second five the person) on the main GolfLink website you can see the full scoring record registered. If a person changes clubs then you a different number is required and only the old number gets you the prior record.

> @davep043 said:

> > @"david.c.w" said:

> > @davep043, you can see your partners/firends history on the GHIN app. Home-->Stats-->Tap your name in the top left and the list of saved partners pops up (assuming you add them partners section from the hamburger menu on the home screen). Select them and then you can look at all the regular stat categories (revision scores, yearly, rolling 12, last 20, tournament scores...).

> >

> > We like to use this to roast our friends when they have average tourney scores lower than their last 20 average :D

> >

> Ah, thanks, I hadn't thought of looking there.

>

> > @ThinkingPlus said:

> > What is a "hamburger menu"?

> I've never heard it called that, but its on the drop-down menu that's reached by clicking the 3 little lines at the top left of the first page of the app.

>

Dave,

Where you able to use the drop down box and see complete scoring records? I hope so. As I mentioned in a different thread, because T scores are going away, I believe it would be nice for GHIN to add "best differentials - last 3 years" (a list the best 20 scores/differentials from the past 3 years). This could be very helpful to a HC - so they would not have to track results from competitions over time. Just imagine a player who manages his record well and wins and places often by shooting net scores from -6 to -4. Based on what I've seen so far, those scores would not really be flagged by the new WHS but will be competitive. And a guy who manages his record well, and posts a bunch of rounds, could maintain a competitve handicap with little downside. It may temporarily go down 1 or 2, but he will be able to get it back up relatively quickly. It would be pretty easy to get it where you need in time for occasional club comps if you post 3-4 rounds per week. But a HC could look at a guy who is in the money way too often and perhaps say, "my goodness, all/most of his best differentials in the past 2 years are in club tournaments!" The only way you could tell is if you tracked comp scores by date. An option like this would make it much easier for HC's and other club members in the peer review process. It would provide a nice tool which they could act on if they so choose. What do you think?

As a legit player, I would like it as well because it would provide a quick glance of my best golf in the relatively recent past. That would be helpful for inspiration, tracking level of play, and so on.

Newport 2.5

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @Newby said:

> > In the US is it possible to see any other individual's playing/handicap record?

>

> Your question was answered when you claimed you probably counldn't see it several days ago - new issue pop up?

Sorry, I don't understand. That was the first post in the thread. Did I have a senior moment and ask the same question in another thread?

> @Newby said:

> > @"mark m" said:

>

> >

>

>

1. No authorization is needed to view a scoring record. And the person will not know if you did. Basically, handicaps are public info over here. As others have stated, initially (20 or so years ago) the full scoring record was viewable using www.ghin.com/lookup. All you needed was "State" of the player and the correct spelling of his last name. But then the actual date was replaced by the month. While the course name is not included, it is often easy to determine the course from the ratings - particularly if it is listed as a H (home) score. The scores are shown in the correct order. You could look up Thinkingplus above or plug in California, Eastwood, C. to see his record and HI = 24.2. Not too bad for 90+ years old!

As I stated before, some courses - whether appropriate or not - post handicap reports including GHIN numbers on Bulletin boards. As a past administrator I have an old list of my club members. When using the GHIN app you can add "partners" one of two ways - by name and state, or with their GHIN number if you have it. I have most of the guys from our group game (about 30 guys) at my home course in my app by GHIN number. A lot of the guys have my GHIN number. It's not a concern for us. It helps with peer review. Using the GHIN app you can only post your own score. To post another player's score, you would need the desktop version and his GHIN number. Or you could look him up using the score posting computer in the pro shop. Prior to the app, one player from a group of 4 often posted all 4 scores after play in the pro-shop. We would confirm the adjusted gross score for each player after the last hole. The scorekeeper would then post the scores and we would meet in the pub to settle bets with the larger group. Now just about all the guys use their phone app to post their own score.

2. Yes. If you have their GHIN number you can see their full scoring record. Privately.

If you participate in a tournament - state/USGA, regional, invitational, or well run member-guest - most of the Committees will be using USGA Tournament Managment software and/or GolfGenius. They are basically the same thing and interface with GHIN. A Committe will set up the tournament format using the software and then import the players and their associated Handicap Index using their GHIN number from the entries. Posting scores after play is a breeze. The software automatically properly adjusts the scores as well - because scores are entered hole-by-hole for tournaments - even if allowances and different tees are in play.

If you look at the bottom of golfgenius homepage, in the past 12 months over 20 million scores from 500,000 events have been scored using the software. I believe all or most would be hole-by-hole scores. Hopefully the transition at the beginning of the year will go well. It looks like they are able to handle high volume. But we will see.

https://www.golfgenius.com/

Newport 2.5

> @Newby said:

> > @"mark m" said:

>

> >

>

> Most informative. Many thanks

Happy to help. I have contributed very little compared to you and Colin. The USGA is not the greatest when it comes to communicating. (But they are improving a little!)

Gents: Thank You!

Newport 2.5

> @"mark m" said:

> Dave,

> Where you able to use the drop down box and see complete scoring records? I hope so. As I mentioned in a different thread, because T scores are going away, I believe it would be nice for GHIN to add "best differentials - last 3 years" (a list the best 20 scores/differentials from the past 3 years). This could be very helpful to a HC

>

> As a legit player, I would like it as well because it would provide a quick glance of my best golf in the relatively recent past. That would be helpful for inspiration, tracking level of play, and so on.

GHIN will be revised for the coming year, I have no idea what reports we will be able to access on either the app or on the website. It does make sense to eliminate the Tournament score report (now showing the last 20 T scores), and add a report for the lowest Differentials for a certain time period. With admin access on the website, I can create reports for any time frame, and export it as a spreadsheet, allowing me to sort it any way I choose, and any Handicap Committee will have that ability.

So everyone can see, this is what GHIN app users can see. This is a view of my usual partners last 12 months and last 20 tournament score. All I need is his name and state. Dont need GHIN number. Cannot see the course but can see the slope/rating and differential. If I look at my stats the course is populated. I am not sure what 2020 will bring, but today anyone can take a look at anyone else in the GHIN system to manually look at their history and how they compare in tournaments vs casual rounds.

You can scroll to see all of his 12 month and 20 tournament rounds.

Full list of stats that can be pulled:

* 12 month handicap history

* Scores by course/tee

* 9 holes/combined scores

* 20 most recent

* 2019 scores

* past 12 month scores

* revision scores

* 12 month tournament scores.

0uf3gw77xybw.png

k9r3xm4nhhye.png

> @antip said:

> In this country, with a person's GolfLink no (10 digits, first five designate a specific club, second five the person) on the main GolfLink website you can see the full scoring record registered. If a person changes clubs then you a different number is required and only the old number gets you the prior record.

One of the benefits of GHIN, the number follows the user, regardless of club. I've had the same number for well over a decade now. Going to a new club, they can change the club of record on my GHIN.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

> @Imp said:

> > @antip said:

> > In this country, with a person's GolfLink no (10 digits, first five designate a specific club, second five the person) on the main GolfLink website you can see the full scoring record registered. If a person changes clubs then you a different number is required and only the old number gets you the prior record.

>

> One of the benefits of GHIN, the number follows the user, regardless of club. I've had the same number for well over a decade now. Going to a new club, they can change the club of record on my GHIN.

>

> --kC

I agree, although there are still a few Associations that don't use GHIN. I assume if you move to one of those areas, they have some way of importing your existing scoring record, same thing if you move from one of those areas into a "GHIN territory."

Another benefit of having the same number is when you get asked to verify your GHIN for any kind of competition (whether tourney or friends), I don't have to go fumbling around in my wallet for a card... it's memorized like my phone number.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

> @"mark m" said:

> > @Newby said:

> > > @"mark m" said:

> >

> > >

> >

> > Most informative. Many thanks

>

> Happy to help. I have contributed very little compared to you and Colin. The USGA is not the greatest when it comes to communicating. (But they are improving a little!)

>

> Gents: Thank You!

I'm not sure that the authorities over here are any better generally. It's just that Colin and I have closer links than most.

> @Newby said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > @Newby said:

> > > In the US is it possible to see any other individual's playing/handicap record?

> >

> > Your question was answered when you claimed you probably counldn't see it several days ago - new issue pop up?

>

> Sorry, I don't understand. That was the first post in the thread. Did I have a senior moment and ask the same question in another thread?

Probably my misunderstanding, sorry - I thought it came up in the context of whether certain information was accessible given certain privacy rules.