A Long and Self Indulgent Exploration of the Latest Irons

aenemated

So I woke up this morning with literally nothing to do. Played Saturday (Anaheim Hills - not my best play and not a course I particularly cared for) and no round today so instead of my normal morning of kickin it around the house before heading over to good ol' Westchester for a practice session, I decided to hit up Roger Dunn and just knock around the latest in irons from various manufacturers. Not because I have any desire to ditch my Vapors but just to see how I felt about all that new hotness.

So here's my totally unbiased take as I have no brand loyalty to any of the majors. Except Titleist woods - I dunno why I strayed to TM for a moment on the fairways. Bad decision, just like getting married. *rimshot*

All demos were with the 7 iron and pretty much all of them had S300s, which I don't even like but whatever.

First up, gave the new TaylorMade P790's a go. I dunno why because this is not a club made for me. But I was being open minded, see. Obviously my first take is ... man, these are chunky. I remember my dad had a set of the Callaway Big Bertha irons and I would make fun of him asking why he didn't just use a croquet mallet. Felt the same. They just had this kind of sad, dead feeling to it. Even puring it didn't even deliver much of a delightful feeling; just this sort of boring "well, that happened" effect. Of course pure shots were going like 20-30 yards further than *MY* 7 iron but why do I wanna hit a 180 yard 7 iron? I'm not playing the tips at Bethpage Black or anything. I really couldn't be bothered to care about the numbers because I just couldn't stand how it felt or looked. While with TM, I figured I'd hit the P750. I can't stand the look of the back but they actually look really great at setup - and I'm a discerning gentleman. I could look at this iron and feel good about it. Then I'd hit it and not feel good about it. Similar to the P790s, it just had this dead feeling to it. Reminds me of in my musician days when I'd have to play some crappy house drumkit and the snare drum hadn't been tuned since the late 90s; it was just a dead and boring *unk*. That iron had nothing to offer me other than looking good from the top which as anyone that's been to Hollywood can tell you; what's underneath is pretty ugly.

Official ænemated verdict? I think it's safe to say I do not like TaylorMade irons one little bit. (Or the woods, for that matter) I did enjoy the MG wedges of theirs until I bought my Miuras. I *HAVE* hit the P730s and did kinda like them but they have this rounded toe profile that isn't pleasing to mine little eyes. The Tiger irons I'm sure are delightful but I have some internal issue with "signature" products. Except Les Pauls. I love Les Pauls. Sorry Tiger, even you can't sell these to me.

Next up; Titleist T100, CB and MB. I should predicate this with the fact that I've NEVER liked the feel of Titleist irons. This goes back to the DCIs of the 90s. Titleist irons remind me of when I used to date Vegas strippers. They look incredible but once you really get involved; you try to find any way out that might include faking your own death. Titleist irons have this clicky, firm feeling that I just cannot enjoy. The flight of shots were great, the numbers were what I'd want and expect to see, dispersion was good ... but ugh, the feel. They all had that same Titleist feel. Maybe that's your jam and if so - I am jealous of you. I believe if I had a set of Titleist MBs in my bag, surely Scarlett Johansson would swoop down and pay off my mortgage and invite me to join her for summers on the Coast of Azure.

Official ænemated verdict? Enjoyed the performance, couldn't dig the feel.

Next up, Ping Blueprint and i500s. They're not super new but new to me as I haven't hit a Ping iron since my high school teammate let me hit his Eye 2s. He was the rich kid who's dad would buy him Pings so I never liked him because he didn't know the struggle of hitting cut down MacGregors with worn out grips found at a yard sale. I liked nearly everything about the Blueprints. They look tremendous and have a balance that felt really good in my hands. As a dude who was a working drummer for 20 years, you get a lot of feel in your fingers and something about the way it balanced felt really, really nice. They performed well and mostly hit the numbers I'd want to see but I had some weird issue with catching them a bit too much on the heel. This MIGHT can be attributed to them being black dot and as I understand, I'm a red dot in the Ping universe. The i500s felt like hitting a tennis ball. This is good and bad. The response I got would concern me - like, I don't know what's about to happen here. Like, it was FINE ... shots came out about as I'd expect and of course longer than I normally hit a 7 iron but at impact; I'd have this "Oh s***" thought like when you hit out of a flyer lie and as soon as the ball leaves the face you're like "This is going 20 yards long." I dunno that I could reconcile this on every shot but maybe I could.

Official ænemated verdict? I liked them both. The i500 is probably not my style of club so not something I'd game though I did enjoy hitting them. The only thing that would hold me back from the Blueprint is the matte finish, which I find a little boring. Also, the weird numbering design they decided on. Just looks kinda ugly. Also, I know they had the "Eye" thing for a long time but then went with the "i" thing which is stupid and even Apple doesn't want it anymore.

Then, I went over to the Mizuno section. The first set of irons I ever bought with my own money was some MP-14s back in like 96 or 97 (I was a big Nick Faldo fan back then); during my college days. I loved those clubs but my career with them was relatively short lived. Long story. Anyway, I grabbed each model of the MP20 line. First go was with, of course, the MB. God almighty, I got taken back 20 years. They look just perfect all around. Just a gorgeous little piece of art with utility. They felt amazing of course. One thing I did notice - I lost a touch of distance with them from my Vapors, about half a club. I could attribute this to the S300's instead of my beloved Modus 105s or maybe the extra weight in the toe of the Vapors. Either way, not a big deal. HMBs ... did not like. Not one bit. Too chunky, too big a top line and they just did not perform as I would have expected. I really wasn't sure what was going to happen. Felt nice on pure strikes but I just didn't feel right looking down on them. Then came the MMC; which I was quite excited to check out. And man, did they impress me. A lot. A whole lot. The back of the club look ... not my favorite thing ever but I wouldn't mind it. Kinda old school in a way. And man, the performance! Half a club longer for me (loft difference, of course), super tight dispersion, buttery feel that just delivered immediate love and satisfaction. Like, to make me say out loud "OY!" I would say they were like a brand new Fender Telecaster ... just needed some tweaks to be just right.

Official ænemated verdict? The MBs are Mizuno MBs. Delightful. I'd buy them if I didn't already have blades I love. HMB ... nah. I am just not onboard with this hollow or injected iron thing. It's not my jam at all. The MMC? If I were to ditch blades, it'd be for those. While I didn't *love* the look of the back, I liked them enough to look past it for how incredibly awesome they looked at address and performed and felt. A pure strike was this feel than ran up the hands to the arms to the shoulders and made me just hold the followthrough for a beat longer and think "pure AF."

I skipped over the Callaway and Cobra section. I've never gotten over making fun of my dad and his Callaway irons and I think I have to wait till I'm in my 50s to play Callaway. (Of course, that's only 8 years away now.) I'm sure Cobra makes fine clubs but there's something about that brand that just doesn't speak to me. Maybe because "cobra" is just too easy and I have a past in marketing so that part of my brain says "WTF does a cobra have to do with golf?" I have weird compulsions. Honma, Wilson Staff, etc, etc ... nah. Not interested.

Anyway afterwards, I went over to the Chesty and hit a handful of buckets going over the latest from my swing coach and remembered why I love my Vapors. Probably because I've had them re-worked into exactly what I want ... but they also got me when they were straight up stock. They fit my swing, my game, they deliver what I expect from irons, they feel and sound amazing and look boss AF ... and Imma keep gaming them for the foreseeable future.

Ultimately, let's all hit what we enjoy hitting and what makes us feel best. This was just a fun little day to explore.

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

Interesting write up. I owned the original 790’s and sold them after a while. Went for a fitting and hit the i500’s. Thought they were very similar to the 790’s, albeit more muted. FWIW, I liked both the 790’s and i500’s.

The feel you described of hitting the 790s was what I interpreted as power. Always interesting to see how one member likes something or doesn’t and I think it shows how important it is to try before you buy and ideally be fit.

I’ve not driven to far into the buttery forged category as you have, played Bridgestone J40’s and srixon z545s for a while. Now play 0211’s.

Entertaining read, emphasizes yet again subjectivity of feels.

The 790 certainly is not a forged feeling club, I find it a bit clicky off centered (but it goes), and on center is ok but not great. The 750/770 however, night and day different to the 790. I blend a few 790's for the forgiveness factor at the top of the bag. Yes I prefer the 770 but I have gotten over it as the misses are just better for my swing. I can always put 'em back in :)

I agree on the T100. Its very good to look at, but for me it didn't feel better then my P770s for whatever reason.

I have yet to hit the MP20 line, but have high hopes in the feel department. The HMB is too chunky for me, but I can see how a blended MP20/MMC set can land in the hands of many discerning golfers.

- b

Love your comments and your reviews.

I had the same experience when I demoed the MP20's hoping to buy my first set of blades soon. First shot came out softer than soft - like a perfectly tuned, quality snare drum rimshot struck dead center - beauty to ears and the soul.

Great to hear the extremely positive reviews from an agnostic tester - really proves how nice the 20's feel.

Entertaining write up. "...he didn't know the struggle of hitting cut down MacGregors with worn out grips found at a yard sale" Haha! I also can't stand the Ping outlined numbers. It may be stupid, but I wouldn't even consider them because of it.

I'd be interested what you had to say about Srixon. I haven't hit a Cobra since the Amp Cell Pro, but those were fantastic irons.

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

TSR2 15˚ Black 1K 75

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

RTX Zipcore Raw 48M/54M/60L 

Byron Morgan 029x PROTO-Carbon/2022 BB-1F

Pro V1X 

I should have went with you yesterday instead of teeing off a 6 AM. Of course wife has my car rigged with an alarm that goes off when I get within 500 feet of Roger Dunn! Played like caca. Driver is fine but irons are really off. At 62 I am coming to the realization I need to stop swinging PX 6.0 and get something a little more manageable. Enjoyed your review. Thanks for sharing

> @balls_deep said:

> Great effort. This is the kind of thing I like to see on here. Very interesting read. Would’ve liked to hear your opinion on the 919 Tour as it’s kind of a tweener for the MB and MMC. Also did they carry Srixon? Very buttery.

I actually did want to hit the 919s and had picked them up to do so but by that time, all the bays were full and I'd been there for like 2 hours and really just wanted to go get some lunch and head over for my practice session.

They do have Srixon but ... um, see the weird compulsion note. The spelling upsets me for some weird reason I can't entirely explain. Probably because it reminds me of "Nixon" and among my tattoos is a Hunter S. Thompson "GONZO" fist. I'd feel like I was letting the good doctor down.

> @Bubbtubbs said:

> I can't help but feel you really should have hit the Apex MB, Tour Blade and FG Tour V6, but it's your party.

I can admit to be a hypocrite sometimes and say I have actually owned the Apex MBs. They were the first irons I bought when I came back to playing because my own hubris said I could still hit blades after 20 years of not playing. I jumped on them too soon, really. They look incredible and when I actually put a good strike on them in those early days, felt amazing. I'm back to the point in my game where I sometimes wish I'd have hung on to them.

> @WIGolf said:

> Now play 0211’s.

See my first WITB post - I had some 0311's for a while. Actually what I went to for a bit after the Apex MB experiment. I got on the deal they had for a bit offering the Gen 1's at a discount right when the Gen 2's came out. Did a fit and everything (that's how I landed on loving the Modus 105's and any iron I play will have those shafts) and I really don't have a negative opinion of PXG. I played them when I went to Scotland back in June and played them very well, including a stellar round of hitting 13 of 18 greens at Carnoustie. As my game was getting back together, I started to get annoyed at how I didn't feel like I could take distance off them and it's colored my opinion of the injected iron thing (which may or may not be accurate but it's in my head - and I have a hard time with grudges). Like, I dig getting cute with my short irons and it seemed like no matter what swing I would put on them ... they always went the same distance. I'm very much a feel player and I don't hit my irons hard or as long as my contemporaries. Selling them is what bought the Vapors. I'd love to give their blades a go but while I do alright, I don't do well enough to drop $5k on a set of irons.

Thanks for the comments, yall. It was a fun day that reminded me of hitting up Carolina Custom Golf in Raleigh, NC with my homey back when I was a kid. We'd roll up on a Saturday and spend like all day just hitting everything in the store.

I was grouped with a real awesome fella when I played Pebble last week; probably late 50's or early 60's who was a very, very good player. This is always my favorite thing about taking golf trips by myself and meeting people I'd never know in any other context. He'd played some mini-tours in his younger years and gave me some good advice that I'll hang on to - remember to keep it fun. It's easy to get wrapped up in trying to shoot better scores and fix this that and the other and sweat all the little details but ultimately, it's supposed to be fun. Yesterday was an effort to that. Keeping it fun.

• Like 1

I completely agree re: trying to funk distances with some of these irons. I'll take some off in that I'll only swing 3/4, but I still hit the ball hard. This means that an iron with any kind of "distance" goal is no good for me. For some reason I have a massive thing for the 919 Tour and I think I might go to them. They just seem like the perfect iron to me.

> @balls_deep said:

> I completely agree re: trying to funk distances with some of these irons. I'll take some off in that I'll only swing 3/4, but I still hit the ball hard. This means that an iron with any kind of "distance" goal is no good for me. For some reason I have a massive thing for the 919 Tour and I think I might go to them. They just seem like the perfect iron to me.

The only take I can give on the 919s is the top line was a bit big for what I like to see. But I won't discount them for that and I probably will go back and hit them.

Those MMCs though. Like if I seriously hadn't spent a chunk of money on outfitting the Vapors like I dig, I'd have bought them then and there. They're that good.

> @aenemated said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > I completely agree re: trying to funk distances with some of these irons. I'll take some off in that I'll only swing 3/4, but I still hit the ball hard. This means that an iron with any kind of "distance" goal is no good for me. For some reason I have a massive thing for the 919 Tour and I think I might go to them. They just seem like the perfect iron to me.

>

> The only take I can give on the 919s is the top line was a bit big for what I like to see. But I won't discount them for that and I probably will go back and hit them.

>

> Those MMCs though. Like if I seriously hadn't spent a chunk of money on outfitting the Vapors like I dig, I'd have bought them then and there. They're that good.

Interesting. To me, they looked almost like clones of the Tour from address. There was something that didn’t work for my eye with the MB in some of the irons. I don’t know what it was. Maybe I like the more boxy titleist look? Going to hit the MMC and tour today and tomorrow and will see.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @aenemated said:

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > I completely agree re: trying to funk distances with some of these irons. I'll take some off in that I'll only swing 3/4, but I still hit the ball hard. This means that an iron with any kind of "distance" goal is no good for me. For some reason I have a massive thing for the 919 Tour and I think I might go to them. They just seem like the perfect iron to me.

> >

> > The only take I can give on the 919s is the top line was a bit big for what I like to see. But I won't discount them for that and I probably will go back and hit them.

> >

> > Those MMCs though. Like if I seriously hadn't spent a chunk of money on outfitting the Vapors like I dig, I'd have bought them then and there. They're that good.

>

> Interesting. To me, they looked almost like clones of the Tour from address. There was something that didn’t work for my eye with the MB in some of the irons. I don’t know what it was. Maybe I like the more boxy titleist look? Going to hit the MMC and tour today and tomorrow and will see.

If I were to go MMC, I'd probably do a combo with the MB 8-PW because they do get a little fat up top.

I've read enough of your posts to think we think similarly though I'm pretty sure you're a better player than I am. Give the MMC's a go ... at least from the mid irons down. I really liked the extra bump of distance the stronger lofts gave (mainly on the misses - pure strike was about the same I'd expect but misses gave up a good bit less) and I didn't think any feel was lost at all. I really would just order a set from GUSA with my specs if I hadn't just dropped the money on the Vapors.

My favorite iron sets last 8 months ... 919T, blueprints, and new 790's

Going from blue to 919t took an adjustment for size and top line ... but ease of use won out ... fwiw, it could be the recoils .. I want to put a set in my bp's

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Just hit a hundred or so balls with the 919 Tour. Shafts were X100, Modus 120x and PX 6.5. Swinging at around 92mph 7 iron I was getting 175 or so carry with all shafts. This is not optimal because I add a bit of loft at impact (working on it) so my launch is too high @22 degrees- I'm losing yardage with this higher launch I think. Feel was really nice out the center and miss hits didn't cost me much. Hit the Forged as well but was getting too much resistance with the wide sole through the ball. Clean contact every swing with the Tour. I

**X100**- 175 yard carry, 125 ft apex, 51 degree descent, 124mph ball speed, 6200 rpm backspin - Proved again this is the best shaft for me. Easy to work, great dispersion, easy to "find it", good numbers.

**Modus 120x** 170 yard carry, 135 ft apex, 53 degree descent 124mph ball speed, 6700 rpm backspin - Amazing feel. I'd pick this if I didn't add loft at impact. With an optimized swing this would be a gem. Easier to lose some to either side if you really go at it. I'd get eaten up in the wind with this shaft. Would like to try the TX though I don't know if I have the speed for it.

**PX 6.5** - Similar numbers. Not much to say here aside from I didn't time it as well and it worsened feel.

The head - Amazing look. Just about the most perfect looking golf club I've ever seen. Feel out the middle is not as syrupy as the MB, but I think it does give a touch more help while still feeling powerful and beautifully Mizuno soft. I could play either the MB or 919T with X100 and I think that is the way I'm going to go.

It is all so subjective, mainly down to individual strikes. I do not think the TM 790 feels remotely similar to the 750 or 770 (which is my favorite in the TM lineup), both of which are carbon steel heads forged from a single billet vs an assembled head with foam filling. The 750/770 feel lively and powerful to me. Tour players love the 750. The 790 feels like a filled hollow headed iron feels.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

> @aenemated said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > Great effort. This is the kind of thing I like to see on here. Very interesting read. Would’ve liked to hear your opinion on the 919 Tour as it’s kind of a tweener for the MB and MMC. Also did they carry Srixon? Very buttery.

>

> I actually did want to hit the 919s and had picked them up to do so but by that time, all the bays were full and I'd been there for like 2 hours and really just wanted to go get some lunch and head over for my practice session.

>

> They do have Srixon but ... um, see the weird compulsion note. The spelling upsets me for some weird reason I can't entirely explain. Probably because it reminds me of "Nixon" and among my tattoos is a Hunter S. Thompson "GONZO" fist. I'd feel like I was letting the good doctor down.

>

> > @Bubbtubbs said:

> > I can't help but feel you really should have hit the Apex MB, Tour Blade and FG Tour V6, but it's your party.

>

> I can admit to be a hypocrite sometimes and say I have actually owned the Apex MBs. They were the first irons I bought when I came back to playing because my own hubris said I could still hit blades after 20 years of not playing. I jumped on them too soon, really. They look incredible and when I actually put a good strike on them in those early days, felt amazing. I'm back to the point in my game where I sometimes wish I'd have hung on to them.

>

> > @WIGolf said:

> > Now play 0211’s.

>

> See my first WITB post - I had some 0311's for a while. Actually what I went to for a bit after the Apex MB experiment. I got on the deal they had for a bit offering the Gen 1's at a discount right when the Gen 2's came out. Did a fit and everything (that's how I landed on loving the Modus 105's and any iron I play will have those shafts) and I really don't have a negative opinion of PXG. I played them when I went to Scotland back in June and played them very well, including a stellar round of hitting 13 of 18 greens at Carnoustie. As my game was getting back together, I started to get annoyed at how I didn't feel like I could take distance off them and it's colored my opinion of the injected iron thing (which may or may not be accurate but it's in my head - and I have a hard time with grudges). Like, I dig getting cute with my short irons and it seemed like no matter what swing I would put on them ... they always went the same distance. I'm very much a feel player and I don't hit my irons hard or as long as my contemporaries. Selling them is what bought the Vapors. I'd love to give their blades a go but while I do alright, I don't do well enough to drop $5k on a set of irons.

>

> Thanks for the comments, yall. It was a fun day that reminded me of hitting up Carolina Custom Golf in Raleigh, NC with my homey back when I was a kid. We'd roll up on a Saturday and spend like all day just hitting everything in the store.

>

> I was grouped with a real awesome fella when I played Pebble last week; probably late 50's or early 60's who was a very, very good player. This is always my favorite thing about taking golf trips by myself and meeting people I'd never know in any other context. He'd played some mini-tours in his younger years and gave me some good advice that I'll hang on to - remember to keep it fun. It's easy to get wrapped up in trying to shoot better scores and fix this that and the other and sweat all the little details but ultimately, it's supposed to be fun. Yesterday was an effort to that. Keeping it fun.

If you’re hitting 13/18 GIR at carnoustie, I’m going to assume your handicap is much better than mine lmao. That being said, I don’t work irons too much. My natural shape is a draw and it takes an act of god for me to play a cut, so I just work with what I know.

> @balls_deep said:

> Just hit a hundred or so balls with the 919 Tour. Shafts were X100, Modus 120x and PX 6.5. Swinging at around 92mph 7 iron I was getting 175 or so carry with all shafts. This is not optimal because I add a bit of loft at impact (working on it) so my launch is too high @22 degrees- I'm losing yardage with this higher launch I think. Feel was really nice out the center and miss hits didn't cost me much. Hit the Forged as well but was getting too much resistance with the wide sole through the ball. Clean contact every swing with the Tour. I

>

> **X100**- 175 yard carry, 125 ft apex, 51 degree descent, 124mph ball speed, 6200 rpm backspin - Proved again this is the best shaft for me. Easy to work, great dispersion, easy to "find it", good numbers.

> **Modus 120x** 170 yard carry, 135 ft apex, 53 degree descent 124mph ball speed, 6700 rpm backspin - Amazing feel. I'd pick this if I didn't add loft at impact. With an optimized swing this would be a gem. Easier to lose some to either side if you really go at it. I'd get eaten up in the wind with this shaft. Would like to try the TX though I don't know if I have the speed for it.

> **PX 6.5** - Similar numbers. Not much to say here aside from I didn't time it as well and it worsened feel.

>

> The head - Amazing look. Just about the most perfect looking golf club I've ever seen. Feel out the middle is not as syrupy as the MB, but I think it does give a touch more help while still feeling powerful and beautifully Mizuno soft. I could play either the MB or 919T with X100 and I think that is the way I'm going to go.

>

>

I had a torrid fling with the 919 Tour but as soon as the blue pill wore off I looked elsewhere. Seem to recall in one of the various Mizuno threads that the bounce/sole on the MP20 didn’t work for you. I found the 919T more picky than the MP20 in damp turf and thin is dead as disco. They do tolerate exploration of the heel and toe better than most clubs their size though.

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

> @balls_deep said:

> Just hit a hundred or so balls with the 919 Tour. Shafts were X100, Modus 120x and PX 6.5. Swinging at around 92mph 7 iron I was getting 175 or so carry with all shafts. This is not optimal because I add a bit of loft at impact (working on it) so my launch is too high @22 degrees- I'm losing yardage with this higher launch I think. Feel was really nice out the center and miss hits didn't cost me much. Hit the Forged as well but was getting too much resistance with the wide sole through the ball. Clean contact every swing with the Tour. I

>

> **X100**- 175 yard carry, 125 ft apex, 51 degree descent, 124mph ball speed, 6200 rpm backspin - Proved again this is the best shaft for me. Easy to work, great dispersion, easy to "find it", good numbers.

> **Modus 120x** 170 yard carry, 135 ft apex, 53 degree descent 124mph ball speed, 6700 rpm backspin - Amazing feel. I'd pick this if I didn't add loft at impact. With an optimized swing this would be a gem. Easier to lose some to either side if you really go at it. I'd get eaten up in the wind with this shaft. Would like to try the TX though I don't know if I have the speed for it.

> **PX 6.5** - Similar numbers. Not much to say here aside from I didn't time it as well and it worsened feel.

>

> The head - Amazing look. Just about the most perfect looking golf club I've ever seen. Feel out the middle is not as syrupy as the MB, but I think it does give a touch more help while still feeling powerful and beautifully Mizuno soft. I could play either the MB or 919T with X100 and I think that is the way I'm going to go.

>

>

I was so looking forward to your thoughts on the MMC’s! Did you hit them?

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

> @"Aviador Naval" said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > Just hit a hundred or so balls with the 919 Tour. Shafts were X100, Modus 120x and PX 6.5. Swinging at around 92mph 7 iron I was getting 175 or so carry with all shafts. This is not optimal because I add a bit of loft at impact (working on it) so my launch is too high @22 degrees- I'm losing yardage with this higher launch I think. Feel was really nice out the center and miss hits didn't cost me much. Hit the Forged as well but was getting too much resistance with the wide sole through the ball. Clean contact every swing with the Tour. I

> >

> > **X100**- 175 yard carry, 125 ft apex, 51 degree descent, 124mph ball speed, 6200 rpm backspin - Proved again this is the best shaft for me. Easy to work, great dispersion, easy to "find it", good numbers.

> > **Modus 120x** 170 yard carry, 135 ft apex, 53 degree descent 124mph ball speed, 6700 rpm backspin - Amazing feel. I'd pick this if I didn't add loft at impact. With an optimized swing this would be a gem. Easier to lose some to either side if you really go at it. I'd get eaten up in the wind with this shaft. Would like to try the TX though I don't know if I have the speed for it.

> > **PX 6.5** - Similar numbers. Not much to say here aside from I didn't time it as well and it worsened feel.

> >

> > The head - Amazing look. Just about the most perfect looking golf club I've ever seen. Feel out the middle is not as syrupy as the MB, but I think it does give a touch more help while still feeling powerful and beautifully Mizuno soft. I could play either the MB or 919T with X100 and I think that is the way I'm going to go.

> >

> >

>

> I had a torrid fling with the 919 Tour but as soon as the blue pill wore off I looked elsewhere. Seem to recall in one of the various Mizuno threads that the bounce/sole on the MP20 didn’t work for you. I found the 919T more picky than the MP20 in damp turf and thin is dead as disco. They do tolerate exploration of the heel and toe better than most clubs their size though.

You found they dug too much? To be honest, I think it was more of a shaft issue rather than the actual grind. If they were X100s I think they'd have been in the bag until the faces were gone. I may order some.

> @texcrom said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > Just hit a hundred or so balls with the 919 Tour. Shafts were X100, Modus 120x and PX 6.5. Swinging at around 92mph 7 iron I was getting 175 or so carry with all shafts. This is not optimal because I add a bit of loft at impact (working on it) so my launch is too high @22 degrees- I'm losing yardage with this higher launch I think. Feel was really nice out the center and miss hits didn't cost me much. Hit the Forged as well but was getting too much resistance with the wide sole through the ball. Clean contact every swing with the Tour. I

> >

> > **X100**- 175 yard carry, 125 ft apex, 51 degree descent, 124mph ball speed, 6200 rpm backspin - Proved again this is the best shaft for me. Easy to work, great dispersion, easy to "find it", good numbers.

> > **Modus 120x** 170 yard carry, 135 ft apex, 53 degree descent 124mph ball speed, 6700 rpm backspin - Amazing feel. I'd pick this if I didn't add loft at impact. With an optimized swing this would be a gem. Easier to lose some to either side if you really go at it. I'd get eaten up in the wind with this shaft. Would like to try the TX though I don't know if I have the speed for it.

> > **PX 6.5** - Similar numbers. Not much to say here aside from I didn't time it as well and it worsened feel.

> >

> > The head - Amazing look. Just about the most perfect looking golf club I've ever seen. Feel out the middle is not as syrupy as the MB, but I think it does give a touch more help while still feeling powerful and beautifully Mizuno soft. I could play either the MB or 919T with X100 and I think that is the way I'm going to go.

> >

> >

> I was so looking forward to your thoughts on the MMC’s! Did you hit them?

>

Unfortunately I did not... I'm going to try to this week. I wanted to work out the shaft first.

My last trip to Golf Mart was very similar. Hit the HMB, MB, MMC, T100, P760, Zforged. Most were modus 120s which just doesnt work, the first MMC had the $ taper 120. Felt great but too many lefts. At the end I decided to tinker with the fitting head and threw in the $taper 130. Totally neutralized the ball flight and picked up ballspeed/distance, just a perfect combo. I have this 20% off coupon burning a hole in my pocket, a set of MMCs with PVD $-Taper 130s has been running through my head for a few weeks now. Just picked up a second hand set of Zforged/Z785 with the same shaft (unforunately not the PVD finish) and further confirmed it's a great shaft for my swing, but those MMC are still so dang alluring.

^^ @balls_deep - regarding 919T digging, yes that was my experience. That combined with the punishment for thin meant there was very little margin for error for my swing.

In fairness, it was generally fairly damp while I had them...

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

> @WIGolf said:

> > @aenemated said:

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > Great effort. This is the kind of thing I like to see on here. Very interesting read. Would’ve liked to hear your opinion on the 919 Tour as it’s kind of a tweener for the MB and MMC. Also did they carry Srixon? Very buttery.

> >

> > I actually did want to hit the 919s and had picked them up to do so but by that time, all the bays were full and I'd been there for like 2 hours and really just wanted to go get some lunch and head over for my practice session.

> >

> > They do have Srixon but ... um, see the weird compulsion note. The spelling upsets me for some weird reason I can't entirely explain. Probably because it reminds me of "Nixon" and among my tattoos is a Hunter S. Thompson "GONZO" fist. I'd feel like I was letting the good doctor down.

> >

> > > @Bubbtubbs said:

> > > I can't help but feel you really should have hit the Apex MB, Tour Blade and FG Tour V6, but it's your party.

> >

> > I can admit to be a hypocrite sometimes and say I have actually owned the Apex MBs. They were the first irons I bought when I came back to playing because my own hubris said I could still hit blades after 20 years of not playing. I jumped on them too soon, really. They look incredible and when I actually put a good strike on them in those early days, felt amazing. I'm back to the point in my game where I sometimes wish I'd have hung on to them.

> >

> > > @WIGolf said:

> > > Now play 0211’s.

> >

> > See my first WITB post - I had some 0311's for a while. Actually what I went to for a bit after the Apex MB experiment. I got on the deal they had for a bit offering the Gen 1's at a discount right when the Gen 2's came out. Did a fit and everything (that's how I landed on loving the Modus 105's and any iron I play will have those shafts) and I really don't have a negative opinion of PXG. I played them when I went to Scotland back in June and played them very well, including a stellar round of hitting 13 of 18 greens at Carnoustie. As my game was getting back together, I started to get annoyed at how I didn't feel like I could take distance off them and it's colored my opinion of the injected iron thing (which may or may not be accurate but it's in my head - and I have a hard time with grudges). Like, I dig getting cute with my short irons and it seemed like no matter what swing I would put on them ... they always went the same distance. I'm very much a feel player and I don't hit my irons hard or as long as my contemporaries. Selling them is what bought the Vapors. I'd love to give their blades a go but while I do alright, I don't do well enough to drop $5k on a set of irons.

> >

> > Thanks for the comments, yall. It was a fun day that reminded me of hitting up Carolina Custom Golf in Raleigh, NC with my homey back when I was a kid. We'd roll up on a Saturday and spend like all day just hitting everything in the store.

> >

> > I was grouped with a real awesome fella when I played Pebble last week; probably late 50's or early 60's who was a very, very good player. This is always my favorite thing about taking golf trips by myself and meeting people I'd never know in any other context. He'd played some mini-tours in his younger years and gave me some good advice that I'll hang on to - remember to keep it fun. It's easy to get wrapped up in trying to shoot better scores and fix this that and the other and sweat all the little details but ultimately, it's supposed to be fun. Yesterday was an effort to that. Keeping it fun.

>

> If you’re hitting 13/18 GIR at carnoustie, I’m going to assume your handicap is much better than mine lmao. That being said, I don’t work irons too much. My natural shape is a draw and it takes an act of god for me to play a cut, so I just work with what I know.

Just a humble 5 right here which I honestly think is too low. I had a handful of really good rounds in the last month or so that knocked me down there - thanks largely to a lot of work on my short game. I really feel more around a 7 or 8.

Anyway, I had an EXCEPTIONALLY good ballstriking day that day at Carnoustie. I credit it largely to my amazing caddy I was so fortunate to be hooked up with for that round and had my whole game figured out after about three holes.

Couldn't make a putt to save my life, though.

I enjoyed the many reference points to P790s here in comparisons to some of the MB forged irons used.

FWIW, I've enjoyed solid one-piece forged MB irons from Wilson Staff, Mizuno, Callaway, and Honma since 2008. I currently still game Homnas (Japanese forged) and Callaway Rzr MB (Endo forged).

But with just experimentation curiosity, ventured into the world of more forgiving and lighter shafts with my P790/KBS CTL a year ago. So, in comparison to all those MB full forged sets, yeh - not same feel.

But, I don't see that as horridly bad. They feel pretty decent for all that tech. It's the sound that is not so cool. It makes my gamer golf balls sound more like a hard as rock range ball - a powerful Thwack!!!

My Honmas are the 727 M version - true Japanese made and look quite similar to the current Rose Protos - which I believe are now again a fully Japanese forging. I don't feel too bad in the journey back into chunkier heads - but since I refuse to fully convert to others in this slot (I even got TM M5s with Modus 105S!), I likely will keep rotating sets with range and course use just for boredom kill.

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

I do wanna go give the Honmas a go. They really do look great. Just something holds me back and I can't explain what it is.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on the g410 iron.

Now hear me out. As a blueprint player , if I ventured away I think it would be whole hog. I don’t understand these halfway irons. They aren’t any more forgiving really than an mb , and yet don’t offer much help in launch and speed. To me it’s like you trade away they good stuff in an mb and don’t get the good stuff of a GI. Make sense ?

Entertaining write up by the way.

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I did a fitting at the PGA Superstore this weekend and tried out a bunch of these irons as well. Most with a modus 120x shaft or dg 120 x100. About 92mph clubhead speed with 7 irons and my current JPX 900T going 160 carry 20 launch and 6800 spin with a slight fade flight. Played that stock swing most of the session to stay consistent. I hit Srixon 785 and Taylormade 760 the best, similar launch and spin but a few more yards of carry at 163. I spun the t100 and Cb too much and was inconsistent with them. I also hit Cobra forged tec to try something totally different. Same modus 120x shaft and it went super low with not much spin but it carried almost 180. That would not work, but i would like to try it again with a higher launching and spinning shaft. Felt very clicky as well, not bad just totally different.

In the end I liked the Taylormade 760 with the DG 120 X100 the best. I never saw anything that seemed to jump off the face with low spin. I did close the face a few times and pulled the ball instead of hitting the cut and those went five or so yards further, but that is just a better strike. It felt like every shot went dead straight and consistent. I found a set on the bay in my specs and got them for a sweet deal a few days later. Now I have to sit on them all winter, or just hit them indoors on a sim.

Titleist TSI2 9.0 Tensei 1k White 50 TX
Ping G430 Max 3w Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 19 Hybrid Ventus Blue 8x
Titleist TSI2 4 Hybrid Tenseit White 90x
Titleist T200 5 Iron PX 6.5

Titleist T100S 6-PW PX 6.5

Vokey SM8 49 PX 6.5 SM8 54 PX 6.5
Taylormade Hi toe 60 KBS tour V 115
Toulon Atlanta 35"