I'm going to travel to Japan next year so I want to buy a set of jdm irons. I'm a beginner golfer and my budget is really low, around 11000 yens, so I want to squeeze the money as much as possible.

I've read a lot of threads talking about forgiving jdm irons and I'm even more confused that I was at first. I'm looking for something forgiving but good looking, a set that I can use even if someday I become a low HC, maybe a japanese brand well known in case I want to sell them.

I've done a lot of research in Golf Partner site and right now the options are OnOff, Yamaha Inpress D, Tourstage V300, XXIO, Srixon. As you can see is hard to narrow the search so I would like to hear the pros and cons.

Thanks a lot.

Wishon 919 Driver 12 deg Aldila NV Shaft

Wilson Deep Red Maxx 3H

Wishon Sterling 4-P True Temper High Launch

Mizuno MX-21 50-55-60 deg Wedges

Cleveland TFi Halo Smart Square Putter

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you missing a zero from your budget? I don't think you are going to find much for ¥11,000.

Now if it's actually ¥110,000, you can probably find something in your price range from a couple of the manufacturers you have mentioned.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

> @jholz said:

> Are you missing a zero from your budget? I don't think you are going to find much for ¥11,000.

>

> Now if it's actually ¥110,000, you can probably find something in your price range from a couple of the manufacturers you have mentioned.

http://www.golfpartner.jp/shop/g/g2100224568282/

http://www.golfpartner.jp/shop/g/g2100251249376/

http://www.golfpartner.jp/shop/g/g2100247393151/

Just a few examples, a quick search

Wilson Deep Red Maxx 3H

> @ojosdegatonegro said:

> > @jholz said:

> > Are you missing a zero from your budget? I don't think you are going to find much for ¥11,000.

> >

> > Now if it's actually ¥110,000, you can probably find something in your price range from a couple of the manufacturers you have mentioned.

>

> http://www.golfpartner.jp/shop/g/g2100224568282/

> http://www.golfpartner.jp/shop/g/g2100251249376/

> http://www.golfpartner.jp/shop/g/g2100247393151/

>

> Just a few examples, a quick search

Ah. This was my other guess. In that case.

Yes, ¥11,000 should be about right for a used set of irons that are many years old or heavily used.

All, of the examples you have posted seem like viable options. Good, well-known, and respected companies. While I've never hit or played any of the specific models that you have selected, they all seem like reasonable options depending on what you are looking for. The XXIO models tend to be more Game-Improvement focused, while On-Off is traditionally recognized for their Players models. The Yamaha Impres like tends to be more Players oriented as well. If it were me, I'd go with the Yamaha's.

One other thing to keep in mind, since the vast majority of JDM irons tend to be forged, and you are looking at older used models, be sure to check for excessive wear, rusting, bag chatter, and the like. Or just expect that you are going to get a fairly banged up set of irons - it's not like they won't still hit the ball.

In closing, I am a huge proponent of used golf equipment, so I commend you for going this route! If you take your time and look around a lot, you can find some great clubs for a great price. ¥11,000 would be a steal!

or
or

> @jholz said:

> > @ojosdegatonegro said:

> > > @jholz said:

> > > Are you missing a zero from your budget? I don't think you are going to find much for ¥11,000.

> > >

> > > Now if it's actually ¥110,000, you can probably find something in your price range from a couple of the manufacturers you have mentioned.

> >

> > http://www.golfpartner.jp/shop/g/g2100224568282/

> > http://www.golfpartner.jp/shop/g/g2100251249376/

> > http://www.golfpartner.jp/shop/g/g2100247393151/

> >

> > Just a few examples, a quick search

>

> Ah. This was my other guess. In that case.

>

> Yes, ¥11,000 should be about right for a used set of irons that are many years old or heavily used.

>

> All, of the examples you have posted seem like viable options. Good, well-known, and respected companies. While I've never hit or played any of the specific models that you have selected, they all seem like reasonable options depending on what you are looking for. The XXIO models tend to be more Game-Improvement focused, while On-Off is traditionally recognized for their Players models. The Yamaha Impres like tends to be more Players oriented as well. If it were me, I'd go with the Yamaha's.

>

> One other thing to keep in mind, since the vast majority of JDM irons tend to be forged, and you are looking at older used models, be sure to check for excessive wear, rusting, bag chatter, and the like. Or just expect that you are going to get a fairly banged up set of irons - it's not like they won't still hit the ball.

>

> In closing, I am a huge proponent of used golf equipment, so I commend you for going this route! If you take your time and look around a lot, you can find some great clubs for a great price. ¥11,000 would be a steal!

>

>

According to your comment about XXIO, there is a specific model o year that you think would fit to my requirements? All the reviews that I've read are about recent models.

Thanks a lot.

Wilson Deep Red Maxx 3H

> @ojosdegatonegro said:

> > @jholz said:

> > > @ojosdegatonegro said:

> > > > @jholz said:

> > > > Are you missing a zero from your budget? I don't think you are going to find much for ¥11,000.

> > > >

> > > > Now if it's actually ¥110,000, you can probably find something in your price range from a couple of the manufacturers you have mentioned.

> > >

> > > http://www.golfpartner.jp/shop/g/g2100224568282/

> > > http://www.golfpartner.jp/shop/g/g2100251249376/

> > > http://www.golfpartner.jp/shop/g/g2100247393151/

> > >

> > > Just a few examples, a quick search

> >

> > Ah. This was my other guess. In that case.

> >

> > Yes, ¥11,000 should be about right for a used set of irons that are many years old or heavily used.

> >

> > All, of the examples you have posted seem like viable options. Good, well-known, and respected companies. While I've never hit or played any of the specific models that you have selected, they all seem like reasonable options depending on what you are looking for. The XXIO models tend to be more Game-Improvement focused, while On-Off is traditionally recognized for their Players models. The Yamaha Impres like tends to be more Players oriented as well. If it were me, I'd go with the Yamaha's.

> >

> > One other thing to keep in mind, since the vast majority of JDM irons tend to be forged, and you are looking at older used models, be sure to check for excessive wear, rusting, bag chatter, and the like. Or just expect that you are going to get a fairly banged up set of irons - it's not like they won't still hit the ball.

> >

> > In closing, I am a huge proponent of used golf equipment, so I commend you for going this route! If you take your time and look around a lot, you can find some great clubs for a great price. ¥11,000 would be a steal!

> >

> >

>

> According to your comment about XXIO, there is a specific model o year that you think would fit to my requirements? All the reviews that I've read are about recent models.

>

> Thanks a lot.

It is really tough to find much on XXIO models that are more than a few years old - particularly here in the states. They were pretty exclusive to Japan up until recently. I can't be sure, but it also looks like they may have marketed some of their irons outside of Japan under the Dunlop name - perhaps only in Europe? There has to be someone around WRX who knows more than this than I do. Maybe you could open a thread specifically about older XXIO irons.

or
or

> @mocokid said:

> > @mocokid said:

> > Those inpres Yamaha look nice, if you want forged check the older bridgestone, they should be more available there.

>

> and the srixon.

Any particular srixon model?

Wilson Deep Red Maxx 3H

> @ProphetLogic said:

> I like the yamahas, but those are really light graphite shafts. Are you looking for graphite? I like these Titleists too.

>

> http://www.golfpartner.jp/shop/g/g2100242876550/

>

Look awesome!!!

Wilson Deep Red Maxx 3H

Well, now my budget is ¥20.000. Still the issue remains: what’s the right set? I’m not sure if AP1 will works for me. I read a thread about Ap1’s JDM equivalent. I’m not talking about VG3 but a japanese exclusive brand. Maybe some of you have some tips.

Wilson Deep Red Maxx 3H

@ojosdegatonegro said:

> Well, now my budget is ¥20.000. Still the issue remains: what’s the right set? I’m not sure if AP1 will works for me. I read a thread about Ap1’s JDM equivalent. I’m not talking about VG3 but a japanese exclusive brand. Maybe some of you have some tips.

OnOff forged 2011 or Yamaha 2009/10/11 non tour model. Some of, if not the best CB irons ever ever ever..........EVER!

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

> @ian-500 said:

> @ojosdegatonegro said:

> > Well, now my budget is ¥20.000. Still the issue remains: what’s the right set? I’m not sure if AP1 will works for me. I read a thread about Ap1’s JDM equivalent. I’m not talking about VG3 but a japanese exclusive brand. Maybe some of you have some tips.

>

> OnOff forged 2011 or Yamaha 2009/10/11 non tour model. Some of, if not the best CB irons ever ever ever..........EVER!

You know if there is a significant difference between 2010 to 2013 models? What about shafts? Most of the people reshafted their sets in order to get a better perfomance.

Wilson Deep Red Maxx 3H

> @ojosdegatonegro said:

> > @ian-500 said:

> > @ojosdegatonegro said:

> > > Well, now my budget is ¥20.000. Still the issue remains: what’s the right set? I’m not sure if AP1 will works for me. I read a thread about Ap1’s JDM equivalent. I’m not talking about VG3 but a japanese exclusive brand. Maybe some of you have some tips.

> >

> > OnOff forged 2011 or Yamaha 2009/10/11 non tour model. Some of, if not the best CB irons ever ever ever..........EVER!

>

> You know if there is a significant difference between 2010 to 2013 models? What about shafts? Most of the people reshafted their sets in order to get a better perfomance.

Not much difference between OnOff, but Yamaha 2013 were a muscle back/blade style, all be it a slightly larger more offset blade. Heard good things about the 2013 model.

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

Well, so far OnOff sounds good, now I have to figure out what shaft fits my swing. Meanwhile I'll be searching info about XXIO. I think it is a brand for the average golfer in Japan so maybe is another good option.

Wilson Deep Red Maxx 3H

I would add Yonex to your list. They make excellent stuff. Some of the Ezone Elite and Elite 2 sets are real cheap now, so are the XPG irons. And I agree on OnOff as a solid line to look at. Bridgestone always has been a favorite of mine.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

There are lots of great options from the last 15 years or so, just depends what you're looking for out of an iron.

There was a thread on here listing different used golf shops across Japan, one in particular was really well regarded.

Not sure if you will find them at such a low price but look out for a set of Bridgestone J40 DPCs. Seems like you might want something a little more exotic and exclusive to Japan though.

Golf partner shops are kind of hit or miss, if you are visiting. Not all of them have a place where you can try the merchandise. Japan is an absolute paradise for clubs though. I could find two or three sets of minty vintage irons for 20000yen if you gave me a month - Mostly I would use Yahoo auction though... Tokyo is a lot of fun, Osaka has an absolute ton of shops and Kyoto, where I live has everything you need.

Tourstage CBs (particularly 701, 709)

Yamaha impress

OnOff Kuro

Srixon CBs

Mizuno

Probably the top 5 for used, due to availablity and quality.

If you go a bit older: There are some seriously high quality forgings, though not state of the art with laser undercuts and such.

Maruman conductor pros

Magregor JDM

Bridgestones (They were the first JDM irons I'd ever seen, and there are a lot of classic sets)

Fuzzy Dunlops (Australian Blades)

Daiwas

Older Miuras

ixqftnce032b.jpg

av6qhovcvn8a.jpg

ye47ejcpjxvb.jpeg

Cool photos. Classy gear. I’m going to be in Tokyo next summer for the Olympics. Looking forward to it.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Actually, last night I was looking for Yahoo auctions. A little bit messy for me. Also most of them have shipping fees and taxes, so my budget would be lessed, right?

Wilson Deep Red Maxx 3H

"... I went down the street and hit the XXIO forged (new model) with graphite and the VG3 Type-E (graphite) and the OnOff forged (Kuro) in steel. Surprisingly, the XXIO seemed much easier than the VG3 Type-E. The second easiest was the OnOff Kuro. The regular VG3 was only available in steel and was not a great match for me.

I may have just narrowed it down to the Kuro or the XXIO forged. The Kuro's a bit smaller to look at and feels better on impact. Nobody seems to have a decent monitor anywhere to check swing speed, distance, etc. I will try one more shop in Ebisu that has a decent setup and both clubs and see if I can nail down which is best. I'd also like to see if I should go with a stiff or regular shaft. I don't swing hard so I'm leaning toward regular. I just don't want to find out that a Japanese regular shaft is like a U.S. ladies shaft : ) But if the results are there on the monitor I will go with whatever works best. No pride at my age."

I found this in an old thread. Right now I'm thinking pretty much the same. Obviously It would be easy to make a choice if I could hit both sets side to side, but that will be only possible in a few months.

Wilson Deep Red Maxx 3H