St. Andrews Trip - Attire necessities

sTmGolfer

Myself and three of my friends are going on a trip in April/May 2020 to St. Andrews for a week of golf. What are some of the "must have" suggestions for attire? Being a Texas boy, cold weather and rain are not my preferred playing conditions. I know the obvious ... rain and warm weather gear ... But I own literally nothing in either of those categories so looking for specific brand/style/item suggestions. Any links would be appreciated to suggested items.

On a side note, we did not get selected for The Old Course, so any suggestions to make this happen for those who have made the trip? I've heard you can show up EARLY AM and hope to get on ... but not sure. We did get our reservation for Carnoustie so we're excited about that.

PING 430 Max 10.5 
PING G430 Max 18.5 
PING G430 Max 20.5 
PING i230 4-W DGS300 120
PING Glide 4.0, 50SS / 54SS / 58SS
Axis 1 Joey

I was there in early June this year and with the exception of the morning I played the Old Course; the weather was quite nice - and I'm from Southern California!

I simply got hit with a rain storm that morning and man ... yeah. Might have been high 40s, rain, wind. The complete links golf experience - so, to be honest, I didn't mind it at all despite it being the total opposite of what I'm used to. (That's me during that round in my profile pic.)

I did bring along quite a bit more than I needed - several sweaters, thermal tights to wear under my pants (which I was glad I had for the aforementioned), water proof jacket, two pairs of golf shoes, thick socks, SEVERAL gloves (I went through 5 in the OC round). Every other round, I dressed like I do for "winter" months here - just pants and a short sleeve shirt. I did have a light jacket but after warming up; didn't even need it. Really, the only thing I specifically bought is the thermal tights.

All that said; weather can change drastically pretty quickly so definitely best to be prepared. I don't know that you need anything super specific though.

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

I agree with the guy who said to take two pairs of shoes, and both should be waterproof. Pack in layers. My normal morning assemblage would include a very light silk undershirt, a golf shirt, wool vest (sleeveless jumper), and a wind shirt. That's plenty for most days, although you could add a wool sweater under the windshirt if it was colder. Pieces can go off and back on depending on the vagaries of the individual day's conditions. Some will say you don't need an umbrella, but I've always had one. I like having a waterproof bucket hat as an option for a rainy day, and rain gloves. Take plenty of golf balls, they're more expensive to buy in Scotland. Take ibuprofin, in case you sample one too many malts after golf in the evening, or if your muscles start to rebel after too much golf.

The weather can be so changeable you really don’t know what you will need til you get there.

Basically go totally wind proof and waterproof , but you won’t need thermal tights in May !

You will buy yourself logo woolly hats etc as souvenirs anyway .

No such thing as bad weather , it’s just not having the right clothing .

On the side note part - check out the threads in the UK sub forum - tons of advice on how to get on The Old Course!

On the clothes - pretty much covered. Proper layers and being from a very cold part of the Midwest in winter and doing things outdoors, different wool options in sweaters/vests and socks (!) are essential. For waterproofs, I've enjoyed my Galvin Green stuff, especially the trousers, but you can get tons of different opinions and spend a wide range of $.

i disagree that you need two pairs of shoes ... if you have one pair of leather, waterproof shoes, you're good ... for golf, take one vest, three short sleeves, one pair of long pants, and one pair of shorts ... one waterproof pullover w/rain pants ... the pullover needs to be decent quality ... pants, not so much ... it's possible, but not probable, you'll have nasty weather ... the waterproof pullover is the main thing to have ... additionally, take 1 dozen pair of socks ... for casual clothing, take 1 pair of jeans and 3 shirts of whatever ... buy a pullover for golf if you need one ... something with the club's fancy logo ... find a launderer in town to clean everything half way through the trip ... pay whatever they want ... travel light ... you're going to buy stuff, so no need to take the kitchen sink ...

and absolutely take ear plugs, or buy them ... links courses are located near water, where seagulls are located ... and they get up at the crack of dawn and don't stop their noise till the sun goes down at 10 pm ...

Two things which I don' think have been mentioned:

1, A good snood, essential for early early morning rounds and for keeping rain from dripping down your jacket

2, Waterproof mittens. Great for the cold but even better for the rain and keeping your hands/ glove dry

PXG Gen 2 X MCA Diamana BF
Callaway Epic 15* GD AD I
Callaway Epic Hybrid 20* GD AD I
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged/ Hot Metal Combo 5-9
Ping Glide 2.0 46/50/54/58
Scotty Cameron Circa 5
Bridgestone BX

May is the beginning of the summer and the weather can be really good, it certainly wont be silly cold

Also St Andrews is one of the driest areas in the north of the UK, probably the driest in Scotland

Normal golf clothes with an extra top layer, and maybe a waterproof jacket just in case

Its east Scotland in may, not Iceland in winter

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

It’s hard to be precise in trying to figure out what is right and wrong to take. I have played links golf in May when it has been four degrees and I have played in shorts and t-shirt. They are the extremes in weather for that time of year but the key is layering. I’d figure that most rounds at that time of year, I would be playing here with a polo and a jumper on. Take a base layer in case it gets colder and have a waterproof suit that you are comfortable in as there is a decent chance you will get rain at some point and even if you don’t and you just get the cold, it can be an extra layer on top and on the bottom.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I made myself some notes in the event I ever take another overseas golf trip again. Others experience may vary and may disagree. Here are those notes:

1) Consider NOT playing day 1. Far too much uncertainly with travel. Settle in, rest, release the travel stresses and maybe see some sites. Airline delays can cause many, many issues. You may not have clubs, you may have had zero sleep and you may miss your pre-paid tee time or be forced to play in a zombie state of mind. 

2) Get a light weight carry bag and get in walking shape. Although it may be reported that the courses are "designed to walk", mounds, dunes, etc... are all hills according to your body and a 6,200-6,400 yd course is still a 6,200-6,400 yd courses and you will be walking and carrying your bag.

3) Consider a pull/push cart at least some of the time. Bring a bungee cord. The rented push/pull carts may have well worn straps and make sure the brake works before you head out with it or your bag may wind up in a berm. Trust me on this, I know. Electric pull/push carts are available to rent but far more expensive than the push/pull carts. 

4) Consider taking a short set. I left my 4 hybrid at home and choked down on my 3 hybrid when I needed the 4. I should have left my 60* at home. You'll need bounce on your wedge to get out of these bunkers but bounce is bad everywhere else. The fairways in Scotland are tight. I used my SW and left my 60* in the hotel. 

5) Take plenty of balls as you may lose many. Very tall, thick grass. Go cheap. High spin, high cost balls and 60* wedges have little value when the play is to putt from 0- 80 yds or more in. I putted one from almost 100 yds out. You are very unlikely to use a wedge from less than 80 out.

6) Get a currency app on your phone. It is easy to think of a pound as a dollar but it is not. Check to see what you are actually paying. The conversion at the time of my trip was 1.64 dollars to 1 pound. 20 lbs = $33 and some change.

7) Get a no foreign transaction fee credit card and pin #. It is cheaper to get money from the ATM (3%) than to convert cash (8-12%). Call your credit card company before you leave or it may get shut off. A chip in your CC is not necessary. 

8) Take less clothes than you think. The sandy soil falls right off and the wind dries everything out very fast. With today's modern fabrics, simply rinse out and hang dry as needed --- it really won't be needed. Two pair of pants for the course and a pair of jeans or two for off the course will do. Honestly, nothing anyone wore ever looked dirty despite the wind/rain and bunkers.

9) High quality rain gear including rain golf gloves and waterproof golf shoes are a must. Take a waterproof hat with a tie down strap. I took two pair of golf shoes for golf and only needed one.  No shorts were worn by anyone the week we went (mid-Aug, 2014).

10) Attitude is everything. When the game goes south or the weather is bad, concentrate on the sights where you are. You can ruin your trip very quickly if you let the weather and/or your golf game drive your attitude.

11) Consider taking a day off from golf in the middle for site seeing. It may help the body recover.

12) Don't be afraid to mix it up if people are struggling with their games. Consider a mid-week Shamble or Scramble. We did a one day shamble to "mostly" take the tee ball out of play. A shamble is when all tee off and you play from the best tee ball position but play your own ball in the rest of the way.

13) Afternoon/late tee times and lack of transportation may make it difficult to see the sites. Consider early tee times.

14) If you are in a group and renting a vehicle, be sure to consider trunk space as a hard golf travel case may not fit in the trunk. If you use a travel service to set up your golf and transportation, you may need additional transportation to see the sites.

15) You'll need a 3 prong 240v adapter to charge your electronics. Most electronics are set up for 120/240 so you will not need a full scale adapter. I got mine for $11 at RadioShack. By the way, electronics charge much faster with 240v than 120v.

16) Consider leaving the laptop at home and just use your smart phone. I took my tablet and never really used it although a downloaded movie or two for the plane ride would be nice.

17) Set up your cell service by calling your provider before you leave. Be aware of the costs associated with using it. Using your smart phone or tablet to FaceTime your family may be your best means of contact.

18) Less is more when packing and attitude is everything. Stay positive and enjoy the sites. 

19) Take a caddy at St Andrews. The stories he will tell as he gives you the names of the bunkers and the history make it well worth it. Besides that, you will have no clue as to where to hit your tee shots and listen to him on the greens. We got one caddy for the group and all tipped him. 

20) Stick to safe food choices. I like to try new stuff as much as anyone but why risk losing a day to an upset stomach or worse.

21) Go back and re-read #8 and #18. Take less than you think you will need.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Some how post duplicated.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

SW8N7FS8GGZ4.jpegI’m on the right.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

I'll play the Swilcan Bridge photo game :)

3SQ36UMXSTQL.jpgI played The New Course the day before and Carnoustie the next day in short sleeves and was totally fine. I could no longer feel my hands and was absolutely soaked in that photo. Hell, by the time I got back to my hotel, showered and put on dry clothes and walked back down to the Jigger for a bite to eat, it was bright and sunny and gorgeous out!

Scottish weather is something else.

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

if you don’t get selected for a tee time at St Andrews, check with whom you are staying. Chances are good that they can help you get on.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

Supportive comfortable shoes. I don’t walk a ton and couldn’t resist playing 27.

Layers. I was there in July and it still was three seasons in a day. I had a Peter Millar rain suit, just wore the rain pant all day. Had a long sleeve zip neck shirt with a light vest. Only put on a coat for the rain on 3 holes. A light knit cap was nice instead of a baseball cap, warmer and less likely to blow off.

definitely rain gloves - they’re both grippier and warmer (and come in pairs).

• 1 month later...

Well then I'll play, too! Not sure about my facial expression, I think my wife or one of the girls was telling me to smile - don't like orders, lol. The man at my right is caddie, raconteur and pigeon racer extraordinarie --- Dennis! Dennis loved The Old Course, whisky and his pigeons and could spin a few yarns. Been caddying 50 years I believe he said and fully appreciated my lightweight bag.

JUH61BB8Q2NW.jpeg