Do you guys prefer to take caddies when available? I personally think that most caddies suck.

> @DLiver said:

> I would much rather be on my own with a yardage book than to have a caddy. Some caddies are good, some are not, but I always play better when I have to figure things out on my own.

Agreed. They are notorious for handing you driver on every hole no matter the yardage or design and running far ahead before you even have time to look the hole over and choose the club you think is best off the tee. I am not sure who is training this new generation of caddies.

I could not agree more. I used caddies at a Top 10 course this summer and was very disappointed. They were more interested in being on their cell phones, then providing a service to me and my wife. Had caddies at two other courses this past summer, one of them was a young guy, he was out of shape and exhausted midway. The other round, the guy gave me reads on the greens that were essentially worthless. You are right, most caddies suck. Maybe not always that way. These guys are for the most part losers.

Agreed. It’s nice to not be burdened with carrying your bag but overall, I’d prefer my laser finder/gps.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

> @Cwing said:

> Agreed. It’s nice to not be burdened with carrying your bag but overall, I’d prefer my laser finder/gps.

What amazes me is why people when they go on golf trips always request a caddy if available. I'll take good range finder and yardage book anyday if I'm walking. If I'm riding, I'll take a nice cart with GPS.

Thats all I need.

I know plenty of other things I'd rather spend my money on than a caddy.

I have had some great caddies when traveling and I enjoy not having to lug my bag but that being said, if given the opportunity, I would much rather take my range finder and a yardage book.

I just came back from my first trip to Bandon and had no issues navigating the courses without a caddie and saving $700 plus, made the trip even better.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.5* HZRDUS Smoke 70X
Titleist 917F2 15* Diamana D+ 80x
Mizuno MP18 SC 3-PW KBS C Taper S+
Muira Wedge Series 51* 55* 59* KBS C Taper S
Toulon Portland H3
Srixon Z-Star XV / Snell MTB-X

I've done it both ways. I've had an excellent caddie in St Andrews (3 rounds in two separate trips), and at Pinehurst, but at the same time I've been around other caddies that aren't so good. I think its pretty ludicrous to suggest that the all "blow balls", but I also realize that there are some average or worse caddies. I'm fine in most cases on my own with a yardage book, but there are times when a good caddie can really enhance the experience. That's particularly true on courses with lots of blind shots, like the Old Course, Lahinch, and Prestwick.

I generally take a caddie for the experience, not the detailed course knowledge. It typically takes 2 to 4 holes to determine if the caddie knows their stuff, or they'll be used to carry clubs only. I've had some great caddies at Pebble, Pinehurst, Bandon, Whistling Straits, St Andrews and Chambers Bay. I've had some train wrecks at Erin Hills, and Kiawah. Unless you're getting a high recommendation from a well known source, it can certainly be a cr-pshoot.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Caddies suck? You in 5th grade?

Caddies we had in Scotland last year and this year (and we didn't use them every round) were really good. Knew the courses, knew their jobs, and all but one played golf and some to a high standard. Some were friendlier, some were more coarse, some were older, some were younger - hmmmmm, they were people. Enjoyed the experiences overall and I'll bet the caddies we had were all so professional they would treat the OP with respect. I'd toss his bag into the Firth.

• Like 3

in my experience:

- Caddies at resorts can be a crapshoot. Have had some good, but had a string of bad ones so I have chosen not to take one in recent years.

- Private clubs have had good experience overall.

- Never been overseas, but stories of caddies in Ireland/Scotland seem more genuine- caddies there tend to be members of the courses, etc.

- Would love to support a junior caddie program. different level of expectation plus all the obvious good things. shame these don’t exist where we live.

In recent years I don’t take a caddie unless I have to or if I am a guest and go with the flow of the group. Not that I am completely sour to it, but I like playing very fast (double bag caddies can’t be fast), I really enjoy carrying my own bag, thinking through yardage and strategy, etc. I know a good caddie can add value there, but as someone else mentioned I’ve seen too many pass of the Driver and bolt. not good especially at a course being played for first time.

> @Irishman1979 said:

> > @Cwing said:

> > Agreed. It’s nice to not be burdened with carrying your bag but overall, I’d prefer my laser finder/gps.

>

> What amazes me is why people when they go on golf trips always request a caddy if available. I'll take good range finder and yardage book anyday if I'm walking. If I'm riding, I'll take a nice cart with GPS.

>

What amazes me is why people don't take a caddie if available. I always take a caddie if available.

I used to always be excited to take a caddy but I have found that caddies take away enjoyment from my round far more often than they add to it. I've had so many bad experiences with caddies at really top end clubs that if given the choice I'd walk and caddy anytime. At least I know what I'll get then. I've had some great experiences too but unfortunately they are fewer and far between. Man I could tell some stories........

Just purchased one of these, perfect combo of not carrying my bag and not having to worry about a caddy.

gokart.co.uk

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

> @FairwayFred said:

> I used to always be excited to take a caddy but I have found that caddies take away enjoyment from my round far more often than they add to it. I've had so many bad experiences with caddies at really top end clubs that if given the choice I'd walk and caddy anytime. At least I know what I'll get then. I've had some great experiences too but unfortunately they are fewer and far between. Man I could tell some stories........

>

> Just purchased one of these, perfect combo of not carrying my bag and not having to worry about a caddy.

>

> gokart.co.uk

Wow! Nice and quite inexpensive. Do you know if they plan to sell these in the USA?

I don't disagree with the premise of the OP. The problem to me is variability of quality. Great caddies can make an otherwise marginal round a lot of fun, but bad caddies can spoil the best round you've ever played and the ratio of bad:good is just too high. At my home course, I regularly play with the same caddie (who obviously I think is "great") and from my perspective, there is not a better round in golf than walking our home fairways with him on the bag. But for resort courses and other private clubs, I find it extremely hit-or-miss. In an "away" environment, I would dramatically prefer to play with a group of members (or locals), walking and carrying, than with a caddie.

> @rchalpu98 said:

> My partner and I had a caddie at a place. Very first hole we ask about distance and he says, 162. We look down at a sprinkler head that said 140. It was not a good experience and no the flag wasn’t at the back of the green...

One of my biggest caddie pet peeves is when they aren’t explicit about what their yardage number is. It drives me nuts when they give a single number, and you have to ask if that’s to the center or to the pin, does it account for wind? Does it account for slope? Does it account for lie? It drives me crazy, especially on my home course where I know all the actual yardages, so when a random caddie gives a different number, I have no idea what they’re thinking.

I prefer to carry my own bag & not use a caddie (mostly because I’m cheap).

I’ve played in groups at Pebble Beach & Bandon where other players had caddies. Usually those caddies were helpful to the extent that I would occasionally tip them as well.

But some clubs require caddies, & I’ve never had a bad one at those courses.

The best ones were at Pelican Hill, Southern Highlands, CalClub, CordeValle, & Riviera. They were polite, friendly, knowledgable & made the experience better.

I took a caddy all three rounds at Pebble/Spy/Spanish Bay and highly recommend it. All of them enhanced the rounds.

Titleist TSr3 9º AD-DI 6x
Titleist TSr3 15º AD-DI 7x

Titleist TSi2 19º AD-DI 95x

T100 4-AW PX 6.0

SM10 56-12º D Modus 125 wedge

SM10 60-12º D Modus 125 wedge

Spider tour

"I still wear full spikes so people know when I show up to the course, I am there to ball out."-Bigmea

Edit: sorry this got so long...I guess I had a lot of latent thoughts on the subject. TLDR: my personal informal scoring system favors me playing without a caddie.

This is an interesting thread as I was just considering this for a round at Pasatiempo on Monday. Like many, I've used caddies and have had mixed results. But in my mind, many of the benefits of a caddie are negated in today's world. I've never listed these out before, but here are my considerations caddie value vs. the alternatives:

1. **Caddies carry our bags so we don't have to** - with a 50/50 ratio of riding vs walking, I'm either in a cart or using a pushcart but I'll admit it's a better experience just walking and not being responsible for your clubs...**I'll give caddies 1 point**

2. **Caddies help with aiming lines on blind shots** - Before every round at a new course, I scope out online photos, map shot tee shot and approach distances, as well as where to miss on Google Earth and my phone's GPS app; I then use the phone app during the round to check my aiming lines and get precise carry distances...**+1 for technology**

3. **Caddies give you yardages or tell you what club to hit** - Give me my slope-enabled rangefinder, GPS app and my own wind calculations ANY DAY; I can pull my own clubs TYVM...**+1 point for me and my tech**

4. **Caddies provide advice on where to aim on a green to avoid the wrong tier or swale** - Better courses have yardage books that show green topography, but most don't...**+1 for a good caddie**

5. **Caddies (good ones) provide on-course strategy about playing recovery shots, etc.** - We're all big boys and can make our own shot decisions; it's fine if someone likes having another voice of reason with them, but the mental game is my responsibility...**0 points even though I want to take 1**

6. **Caddies replace divots** - I'm more of a sweeper than a digger, but will take some pelts on soft fairways or with wedges...**+1 for caddies**

7. **Caddies help read greens** - I've had very few caddies give me significantly different reads than I got on my own (a handful of private clubs aside)...**+1 point for me**

8. **Caddies clean your clubs** - I prefer cleaning my own clubs because I take pride in them and wipe/brush them after EVERY shot anyway...**+1 for me**

9. **Caddies tend/pull the flagstick** - Non-issue these days and I pull it on my walk past the hole to get a read, or I leave it in for slippery putts. Either way, I decide on the fly and don't have to tell someone 18 times per round...**+1 for me**

10. **Caddies clean your ball on the green **- non-issue since I regularly carry a damp towel onto every green and wipe down the ball while I'm reading the putt (it's like therapy)...**0 points**

11. **Caddies rake bunkers** - Not a major hassle, but...**+1 for the caddie!**

12. **Caddies can provide good conversation** - I'm all for meeting and talking to new people on the course, but we've all been paired up with the guy who we'd rather not talk to much; and sometimes it's nice not to have any conversation when playing alone; walking in silence with a caddie is just weird...**0 points since it's a 'carpshoot'**

13. **Caddies can provide course history (if they even know it)** - I just watched a great video on the history of Pasatiempo and there's no shortage of info on Alistar MacKenzie's design principles...**+1 point for the technology (internet)**

14. **Playing with a caddie is how the game is meant to be played** - that's some stuck-in-the-past- BS. Play golf the way you like to as long as it doesn't impact other golfers; plus they add $60-$150+ to the cost of a round...**1 point for me and my wallet**

I'm probably missing some benefits some people would say that caddies bring. But, my math tells me the score is 7-4 (and 3 pushes) in favor of playing with my technology instead of a caddie in most cases.

When playing with member friends at their private clubs, I'll happily play with and pay for our caddie. That's more about helping them support the caddie program, which most of their clubs encourage. Even then, I'm not sure how many shots the caddie will end up saving me on any given Sunday. But on pretty much any other course, I don't think having a caddie enhances my experience or improves the outcome all that much.

Now, I will say that I know a few guys who regularly play with caddies, and when I get them on a neutral course with no caddie, I instantly have an advantage because they rely so much on caddies at their home course.

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @FairwayFred said:

> > I used to always be excited to take a caddy but I have found that caddies take away enjoyment from my round far more often than they add to it. I've had so many bad experiences with caddies at really top end clubs that if given the choice I'd walk and caddy anytime. At least I know what I'll get then. I've had some great experiences too but unfortunately they are fewer and far between. Man I could tell some stories........

> >

> > Just purchased one of these, perfect combo of not carrying my bag and not having to worry about a caddy.

> >

> > gokart.co.uk

>

> Wow! Nice and quite inexpensive. Do you know if they plan to sell these in the USA?

Its really nice. Works as advertised with the automatic speed control. Really simple to use, you don't even have to hold onto it once it gets going unless your going over rough terrain.

I've sent an email to them asking about sales in the USA. I split time between MI and Scotland and would love to have one in the states. Only issue is my club there would never allow it. Amazing to me how popular they are in Scotland. Almost everyone has a trolley of some kind.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

How much of our perception of caddies has to do with the cost? In my view, when the caddie is below average, what's really hard for me is that I'm going to pay the guy _almost_ the same as I would pay an outstanding guy. If caddies were very low cost (think $10 a round)...would you feel differently about them?

> @Roadking2003 said:

> I always take a caddie if available. There is no better way to play golf than walking with a caddie.

1. I almost never agree with Roadking on anything but I do here.

2. I’ve probably played at least 300 rounds with a caddie in my life and never had what I’d call a bad experience

3. I adjust to the caddie and have fun. Some of them are helpful and some are just there to carry a bag. It doesn’t matter much to me either way.

> @raynorfan1 said:

> How much of our perception of caddies has to do with the cost? In my view, when the caddie is below average, what's really hard for me is that I'm going to pay the guy _almost_ the same as I would pay an outstanding guy. If caddies were very low cost (think $10 a round)...would you feel differently about them?

No. I’ve done that plenty in China and Thailand. It doesn’t change how I feel about it in any way.

> @raynorfan1 said:

> How much of our perception of caddies has to do with the cost? In my view, when the caddie is below average, what's really hard for me is that I'm going to pay the guy _almost_ the same as I would pay an outstanding guy. If caddies were very low cost (think $10 a round)...would you feel differently about them?

When I was a teenager (1978-81), I used to caddie for my father's foursome on weekends with a friend carrying the other two bags (their club didn't have any caddies). We got paid $10 per bag. Calling us caddies was pretty generous. We were bag carriers, ball watchers/finders, bunker rakers and pin holders. If either of us had attempted to give any advice they would have either laughed at us or told us to shut up (probably both).

Before my senior year in high school, caddied all summer as a local country club that required caddies for every round. All of the caddies were high school & college age kids. If the group took carts, one person would go out as a forecaddie for $16 a loop ($4 per person). If all 4 players walked, two guys would go out at $10 per bag. If 2 walked and 2 rode, then we go the "big bucks". We'd get $25 for the loop, $10 for each bag and $2.50 from each of the riders. The golfers didn't pay us directly and no tipping was allowed at this club. I don't know what they actually paid the club for our services. But, they certainly weren't paying enough to expect to get competent golfing advice from us. They were paying us to do the menial labor that they didn't want to do themselves.