Age question

TimK1

This question is more for serious players.

I have been a serious golfer my whole adult life. I still put 15 to 20 hours a week of practice. I get to the course at 4 pm. Practice and play nine and usually don't leave till 9 pm during the summer. I do this five to six days a week. I'm 55 now. Been a scratch player for a long time but now I'm a 2-4 range handicap.

My question is for older guys over 60 maybe who were similar. Did your games go down as you got older? How long did you maintain or when does it really start to go downhill? Does it go downhill or have you found you were able to keep your game in good shape into advanced age?

What did you do to keep it there? I'm in good shape. 185 pounds, 6 ft on the dot. I have had no real injuries yet so I feel I can still keep this up but for how long? I love to play. It is really my true passion in life and what I enjoy doing the most.

Does your swing change? Did you change the equipment? Or did your interest start to go down? I have struggled a little bit this past year with staying motivated. Golf has become such a habit for me I don't really know what to do with myself if I'm not playing.

Maybe I need to get a little better balance. has anybody had these issues? If so what did you do about it?

I'm 65,3.8 handicap, usually play at least 9 holes Mon- Fri., hardly ever practice. I still play from the blues-6700yds, and, sometimes, play the blacks- 7000 yds, in the summer. Everybody is different, but if I put in as much time as you, I'd quit. Sounds too much like work. Also, I walk well over 90% of the time. I really find playing keeps me much fresher than practicing. At the very least, I get a good walk. Even If I don't play well, I feel like it is a huge benefit to be outside for the exercise. If I'm by myself, I sometimes listen to music, and that lightens things up a bit.

• Like 1

Damn. You guys are my hero’s.

This is why I love golf.

I’m 36 and you two would mop the floor with me. A-la Bob Barker and Happy Gilmore.

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

> @caniac6 said:

> I'm 65,3.8 handicap, usually play at least 9 holes Mon- Fri., hardly ever practice. I still play from the blues-6700yds, and, sometimes, play the blacks- 7000 yds, in the summer. Everybody is different, but if I put in as much time as you, I'd quit. Sounds too much like work. Also, I walk well over 90% of the time. I really find playing keeps me much fresher than practicing. At the very least, I get a good walk. Even If I don't play well, I feel like it is a huge benefit to be outside for the exercise. If I'm by myself, I sometimes listen to music, and that lightens things up a bit.

We sound very similar. I walk also and usually play alone also. I'm really rethinking all the time I put in to practice. I went to Kiawah and played four rounds in three days without any practice, except a warmup before the round. I played very well all four rounds.

My goal is to tone down my practice next year and just work more on my short game and putting.

I think I might have a mental issue. I always feel I'm gonna lose my swing of I don't practice it. I know in my head I won't but ..................

I know I need to balance this out more. I have been doing this 25 years and I am started to burn out a little.

I raced triathlons for 22 years. I trained every single day. As I got into the age of 57 competition at races began to dwindle and I started losing the interest to train every day. I had taken up golf as a side hobby at the age of 54. Racing, training and golf.... I got to a 2 cap in 2 years. At 57 I quit running, cycling and swimming. After 22 years I had gotten bored. I'm now retired and play golf 4 days a week. Starting about 6 months ago , 4 to 5 days a week I cycle using a virtual reality smart trainer in the man cave.

There needs to be a balance so you don't get bored.

> @TimK1 said:

> This question is more for serious players.

> I have been a serious golfer my whole adult life. I still put 15 to 20 hours a week of practice. I get to the course at 4 pm. Practice and play nine and usually don't leave till 9 pm during the summer. I do this five to six days a week. I'm 55 now. Been a scratch player for a long time but now I'm a 2-4 range handicap.

>

> My question is for older guys over 60 maybe who were similar. Did your games go down as you got older? How long did you maintain or when does it really start to go downhill? Does it go downhill or have you found you were able to keep your game in good shape into advanced age?

> What did you do to keep it there? I'm in good shape. 185 pounds, 6 ft on the dot. I have had no real injuries yet so I feel I can still keep this up but for how long? I love to play. It is really my true passion in life and what I enjoy doing the most.

> Does your swing change? Did you change the equipment? Or did your interest start to go down? I have struggled a little bit this past year with staying motivated. Golf has become such a habit for me I don't really know what to do with myself if I'm not playing.

> Maybe I need to get a little better balance. has anybody had these issues? If so what did you do about it?

I'm 69 and walk 9 daily. The local league makes me play to a 3.

Did your games go down as you got older? Yes, but I'm still one of the best players in my age group. I'm generally considered to have an admirable swing.

How long did you maintain or when does it really start to go downhill? Mid-50s

What did you do to keep it there? Walk and general exercise. Practice doesn't help much, instruction even less. Often rest is better, but don't take the winter off. That's a killer. Play in the snow, if you have to...or build a simulator.

Does your swing change? Yes, but the changes are subtle. I'm still me, just a less flexible version.

Did you change equipment? I change equipment, but only because I build clubs and enjoy trying different things. I often return to an old set of irons when my swing goes off.

Did your interest start to go down? I get frustrated by increased inconsistency. It's not a loss of interest, but a loss of satisfaction.

Maybe I need to get a little better balance. has anybody had these issues? As my swing has tightened up, balance has become a real issue. I find myself taking bad swings for no particular reason.

I've backed away from competition almost entirely. Golf for me now is more of a nice long walk where I hit a ball every now and then. I mostly play alone. I sort of keep score, also sort of don't. I mostly just want to hit the ball well and smell the grass from the top side. I still hate doubles and 6s. That never changes.

> @MountainGoat said:

> > @TimK1 said:

> > This question is more for serious players.

> > I have been a serious golfer my whole adult life. I still put 15 to 20 hours a week of practice. I get to the course at 4 pm. Practice and play nine and usually don't leave till 9 pm during the summer. I do this five to six days a week. I'm 55 now. Been a scratch player for a long time but now I'm a 2-4 range handicap.

> >

> > My question is for older guys over 60 maybe who were similar. Did your games go down as you got older? How long did you maintain or when does it really start to go downhill? Does it go downhill or have you found you were able to keep your game in good shape into advanced age?

> > What did you do to keep it there? I'm in good shape. 185 pounds, 6 ft on the dot. I have had no real injuries yet so I feel I can still keep this up but for how long? I love to play. It is really my true passion in life and what I enjoy doing the most.

> > Does your swing change? Did you change the equipment? Or did your interest start to go down? I have struggled a little bit this past year with staying motivated. Golf has become such a habit for me I don't really know what to do with myself if I'm not playing.

> > Maybe I need to get a little better balance. has anybody had these issues? If so what did you do about it?

>

> I'm 69 and walk 9 daily. The local league makes me play to a 3.

> Did your games go down as you got older? Yes, but I'm still one of the best players in my age group. I'm generally considered to have an admirable swing.

> How long did you maintain or when does it really start to go downhill? Mid-50s

> What did you do to keep it there? Walk and general exercise. Practice doesn't help much, instruction even less. Often rest is better, but don't take the winter off. That's a killer. Play in the snow, if you have to...or build a simulator.

> Does your swing change? Yes, but the changes are subtle. I'm still me, just a less flexible version.

> Did you change equipment? I change equipment, but only because I build clubs and enjoy trying different things. I often return to an old set of irons when my swing goes off.

> Did your interest start to go down? I get frustrated by increased inconsistency. It's not a loss of interest, but a loss of satisfaction.

> Maybe I need to get a little better balance. has anybody had these issues? As my swing has tightened up, balance has become a real issue. I find myself taking bad swings for no particular reason.

>

> I've backed away from competition almost entirely. Golf for me now is more of a nice long walk where I hit a ball every now and then. I mostly play alone. I sort of keep score, also sort of don't. I mostly just want to hit the ball well and smell the grass from the top side. I still hate doubles and 6s. That never changes.

>

>

That's a good response. Gets things into a bit more perspective for me.

I walk also.

I haven't felt like I have lost anything except some distance on my irons. About 5 yards or so. I'm still pretty flexible and get a full turn still. I'm gonna change the equipment this year. My Mizuno Blades have become somewhat more of a chore to hit. The 130-gram steel shaft is becoming harder to hit or just generally seems like more work these days. I tested a whole bunch of lightweight shafts this past summer. I'm settled on what I want.

I usually play by myself also. When I walk my nines during the week. I just enjoy the quiet of being alone. Everybody wants to have music on now or some other distraction.

I still compete in a lot of the State Am tournaments and local City district tournaments. I find though that it isn't as enjoyable as it used to be. I play with mostly much younger guys who think they are Tiger Woods. I find that annoying and less tolerable each passing year. I think this might be my last year doing that.

I don't take the winter off. We have several indoor dome-type ranges here. I'm usually in there three to four days a week. I still hit about 300 balls during the week even in the winter.

I actually was thinking about taking up Tennis during the winter months also. My son is a pretty good junior player and we have hit back and forth a bunch at the indoor facility and I find it quite fun.

One thing I find that keeps me inspired. The Champion's tour. Those guys play an amazing level of golf into there older age. Langer at 62 still plays at an amazing level. Of course, I'm nowhere as talented as those guys but it is inspiring and does offer some hope that it doesn't have to go bad right away and I still have a good 10 years.

Even those guys by there mid-'60s are usually done competing. I'm 55 so I figure I have 10 years as long as I am healthy. I'm gonna start biking to the club this summer. It's about six miles each way. My clubs stay there and I have a locker so it won't be that hard.

I bike now but not much.

> @MountainGoat said:

> One last thought... Keep the weight off and maintain your legs. Those are two things that when lost really will change your swing, and not for the better.

>

>

For sure.

I always have. I weigh the same I did in High School. 185

I very rarely eat junk food. It wasn't always like that but I realized around 40 years old that I couldn't live the way of a 25-year-old anymore. I rarely drink. I think I had three beers this entire year. So I'm with you there.

Like I said above, I'm going to bike to the club next summer. It will help with my endurance and legs. Some times late in rounds last year I got very tired from walking. I'm not going to take a cart. I have a pushcart for my bag.

I don't carry it.

I built my swing around no stress on the back. I never have had a back issue. Carrying the bag adds stress to the back also.

> @TimK1 said:

> I have been a serious golfer my whole adult life. I still put 15 to 20 hours a week of practice. I get to the course at 4 pm. Practice and play nine and usually don't leave till 9 pm during the summer. I do this five to six days a week. I'm 55 now. Been a scratch player for a long time but now I'm a 2-4 range handicap.

>

> My question is for older guys over 60 maybe who were similar. Did your games go down as you got older? How long did you maintain or when does it really start to go downhill? Does it go downhill or have you found you were able to keep your game in good shape into advanced age?

> What did you do to keep it there? I'm in good shape. 185 pounds, 6 ft on the dot. I have had no real injuries yet so I feel I can still keep this up but for how long? I love to play. It is really my true passion in life and what I enjoy doing the most.

> Does your swing change? Did you change the equipment? Or did your interest start to go down? I have struggled a little bit this past year with staying motivated. Golf has become such a habit for me I don't really know what to do with myself if I'm not playing.

> Maybe I need to get a little better balance. has anybody had these issues? If so what did you do about it?

Right out of the chute, I'm going to say that you are genetically blessed if you're 55 and able to maintain the level of practice and playing that you are. You are also in the top 1% in terms of mental discipline and self-motivation, so congrats on that. (There is a Toby Keith song titled, "Don't Let the Old Man In" that you might like; I'm 67 and I love it.)

So in answer to your questions:

1. Yes, there will be some degree of decline in your game as you grow older, simply because you WILL lose some swing speed. For me, the impact of the loss of swing speed on my game was much more about losing the ability to "save" a bad swing than about loss of distance, but both are issues. So you battle this every day; flexibility training, resistance training, and getting technically better. You also tweak equipment from time to time as needed to pick up numbers that maintain or regain some lost distance.

2. FOR ME, the real change came sometime around 60. I did a driver fitting in 2010 at age 58, then another four years later at age 62. Despite a high level of fitness and no injuries, my average swing speed in 2014 was basically equal to my slowest swing speed just four years earlier. So I went to a driver that launched a little higher but with less spin to max out carry distance. Same process in 2018, but I went with a smaller head that got me 3 mph of swing speed back. And so on...

3. I'm now late in a three month process with a top shelf teaching pro to improve my swing technically. I didn't really do this to get more distance; my goal was better accuracy with my irons. But I have picked up yards as my swing has gotten more efficient. I've also tweaked other parts of my equipment; the three wood is gone completely, and a 17 degree hybrid is my next longest club, with a 5 wood in the bag as a layup club on short par fours, etc.

4. Lastly, my interest has NOT gone down, but my body dictates now that I take some days off that I didn't used to do. Tom Brady talks about the importance of giving your body adequate rest in between workouts, and I've found that I just have to do this, even if it means forcing myself not to hit balls or work out.

I think that "balance" is hard to achieve for people like me (and I assume you as well) so I have tried to embrace the imbalance; I am what I am, and I love the quest! Playing senior tournaments, fiddling with equipment, working out, lessons, changing tees; all of this has helped me stay "fresh" with golf and not need to hit balls quite so much as I used to.

> @bluedot said:

> > @TimK1 said:

> > I have been a serious golfer my whole adult life. I still put 15 to 20 hours a week of practice. I get to the course at 4 pm. Practice and play nine and usually don't leave till 9 pm during the summer. I do this five to six days a week. I'm 55 now. Been a scratch player for a long time but now I'm a 2-4 range handicap.

> >

> > My question is for older guys over 60 maybe who were similar. Did your games go down as you got older? How long did you maintain or when does it really start to go downhill? Does it go downhill or have you found you were able to keep your game in good shape into advanced age?

> > What did you do to keep it there? I'm in good shape. 185 pounds, 6 ft on the dot. I have had no real injuries yet so I feel I can still keep this up but for how long? I love to play. It is really my true passion in life and what I enjoy doing the most.

> > Does your swing change? Did you change the equipment? Or did your interest start to go down? I have struggled a little bit this past year with staying motivated. Golf has become such a habit for me I don't really know what to do with myself if I'm not playing.

> > Maybe I need to get a little better balance. has anybody had these issues? If so what did you do about it?

>

> Right out of the chute, I'm going to say that you are genetically blessed if you're 55 and able to maintain the level of practice and playing that you are. You are also in the top 1% in terms of mental discipline and self-motivation, so congrats on that. (There is a Toby Keith song titled, "Don't Let the Old Man In" that you might like; I'm 67 and I love it.)

>

> So in answer to your questions:

>

> 1. Yes, there will be some degree of decline in your game as you grow older, simply because you WILL lose some swing speed. For me, the impact of the loss of swing speed on my game was much more about losing the ability to "save" a bad swing than about loss of distance, but both are issues. So you battle this every day; flexibility training, resistance training, and getting technically better. You also tweak equipment from time to time as needed to pick up numbers that maintain or regain some lost distance.

>

> 2. FOR ME, the real change came sometime around 60. I did a driver fitting in 2010 at age 58, then another four years later at age 62. Despite a high level of fitness and no injuries, my average swing speed in 2014 was basically equal to my slowest swing speed just four years earlier. So I went to a driver that launched a little higher but with less spin to max out carry distance. Same process in 2018, but I went with a smaller head that got me 3 mph of swing speed back. And so on...

>

> 3. I'm now late in a three month process with a top shelf teaching pro to improve my swing technically. I didn't really do this to get more distance; my goal was better accuracy with my irons. But I have picked up yards as my swing has gotten more efficient. I've also tweaked other parts of my equipment; the three wood is gone completely, and a 17 degree hybrid is my next longest club, with a 5 wood in the bag as a layup club on short par fours, etc.

>

> 4. Lastly, my interest has NOT gone down, but my body dictates now that I take some days off that I didn't used to do. Tom Brady talks about the importance of giving your body adequate rest in between workouts, and I've found that I just have to do this, even if it means forcing myself not to hit balls or work out.

>

> I think that "balance" is hard to achieve for people like me (and I assume you as well) so I have tried to embrace the imbalance; I am what I am, and I love the quest! Playing senior tournaments, fiddling with equipment, working out, lessons, changing tees; all of this has helped me stay "fresh" with golf and not need to hit balls quite so much as I used to.

Thank you for your kind words.

I never looked at practicing as having the mental discipline and it never has felt like a job. I generally enjoy hitting golf balls. It doesn't matter if I'm playing or just on the range. I have always been a range rat for as long as I can remember.

My swing is technically really good. I never get far off at all. I strike most of my shots right on the sweet spot. I have spent 1000's of hours over the years working on it. It's never felt like a burden though. I love every minute of it. Of course, I have always been a good local player but never anything more. I have played with a few guys were have played mini and PGA events. They are light-years better. It's not that they don't mis-hit shots but they save par from everywhere.

I've shot 72 with some of these guys and got lapped. A kid at my club who is going overseas next year to the Indian tour ( Never knew there was one ) Shot a 61 that day. LOL He was at least three clubs longer than me. He hit his eight-iron 180. He hits his 5 iron 215. I'm lucky if I get mine to 180.

I have begun this year to start the process of changing my set up. I have played the same clubs now for 8 years. Including my driver.

I really don't have a balance. I'm a perfectionist and a type A on top of that. So it is very difficult for me to tone it down.

> @caniac6 said:

> I'm 65,3.8 handicap, usually play at least 9 holes Mon- Fri., hardly ever practice. I still play from the blues-6700yds, and, sometimes, play the blacks- 7000 yds, in the summer. Everybody is different, but if I put in as much time as you, I'd quit. Sounds too much like work. Also, I walk well over 90% of the time. I really find playing keeps me much fresher than practicing. At the very least, I get a good walk. Even If I don't play well, I feel like it is a huge benefit to be outside for the exercise. If I'm by myself, I sometimes listen to music, and that lightens things up a bit.

Wow, you and I are 2 of a kind. I am 53yrs old. +1 hdcp. don't practice except to kill time on the practice green before playing. But I will play about 27-45 holes a week depending on my schedule on weekends. I walk 100% of the time and still carry my bag mostly. Usually play from about 6800yds, but occasionally will jump back to 7100yds if the ball is going a long way. Rarely listen to music though, as I like the clatter of clubs rattling as I walk.

> @TimK1 said:

>

Did you ever compete outside of your club? Like in regional golf association events or USGA qualifiers, etc? You are the Holy Grail of ages right now at 55 years old. You should be licking your chops that you can play with the "old guys" now! :-)

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

> @Obee said:

> > @TimK1 said:

> >

>

> Did you ever compete outside of your club? Like in regional golf association events or USGA qualifiers, etc? You are the Holy Grail of ages right now at 55 years old. You should be licking your chops that you can play with the "old guys" now! :-)

Yes but not as a senior.

I'm am going to now.

I'm looking forward to playing with guys my own age.

> @Obee said:

> > @TimK1 said:

> >

>

> Did you ever compete outside of your club? Like in regional golf association events or USGA qualifiers, etc? You are the Holy Grail of ages right now at 55 years old. You should be licking your chops that you can play with the "old guys" now! :-)

Obee, I agree 100%! And in addition to the advantages of being a 55 year old playing in senior tournaments, tournament play just brings a focus and direction to practice that really helps you stay fresh. And the senior stuff is just fun; good guys, good courses, etc.

I don't know where the OP is located, but the Carolinas Golf Association just does an incredible job of finding ways to keep old guys out on the golf course. I played last week in the last two senior four balls of the year, back to back days at True Blue and Caledonia. The CGA had SIXTY senior four balls for the year, and finishes with a two-day Tournament of Champions that alternates between Pinehurst and Barefoot Landing. On top of all of that, they have 55, 65, and 70+ divisions, with gross and net winners in each; just remarkable.

Plus, it helps me figure out what it is that I want to get done over the winter; last year, it was trying to figure out if I could still hit a 3 wood off the deck or not (I can't); this year, it's getting a better AOA with irons. A specific goal to "the quest" is a good thing, and tournament play helps with that.

I don't think only "serious" players, whatever that means, have insights that would be relevant so read this or not.

As to age, I got better starting at about age 50, have made the most gains in my game since age 55. I don't practice near as much as you, and my handicap has gone from 12+ to a 7 today as I sit here typing, with a lot of improvements in various parts of my game. Now, is it easier coming from a higher handicap to make gains? Up for debate, it is so individual. But I'm sure there is something to that. For me to get to a 5 or lower will involve gains that are a lot more "hard fought", IMO. For you to get a few strokes back having been there I think just is a matter of good self-assessment and focus.

What I think I can say that I hope resonates is age is no barrier to getting better and no guarantee things will deteriorate, no matter what your skill level (to a certain point and you are likely not there yet).

Armchair psychologist in me says it's more of a "life" or "mental game" issue for you than anything so find that balance and don't set yourself up for failure by worrying about getting older.

That will be five cents please!

Tim, perceptive questions! You are definitely not a grip it and rip it thinker.

I am highly qualified to answer, ha ha. I am 75, 6-ft, 195, never heavy, blessed with good genes, fortunate to still be in good health, I count my blessings daily and take nothing for granted. I play to a low handicap. More importantly, I have wintered in an active retirement community for a long long time, and I can speak to the spectrum of what happens with golf as we age. I have seen it all.

The normal “progression” that I see, and I am thinking of one particular player as typical: Scratch, mostly. Fantastic hands player, overweight, rode cart, enjoyed good beer. Over time, weight went up, swing shorter (if that was even possible), distance down, handicap ballooned. One day he said to me “I’m tired of hitting 175 yard drives”. Next year he was doing volunteer work. Golf was totally was over for him at about 78. This is somewhat typical. It is unnecessary, for most.

Answers to your questions, from my personal point of view:

Did my game go down? No.

What have I done to keep it there? Has my swing changed? Did I change equipment? Swing change? Injuries? All related questions. All important:

My swing has changed, and it’s the #1 thing I did in order to manage my body better. Golf gave me a bad back. Hard rotation is the enemy. I have spent years revising my swing according to Jimmy Ballard principles, which puts more focus on weight shift and less focus on hard rotation. And as we age other problems emerge - sore knees, arthritis in hands, tendonitis, whatnot. Ballard says that if we get all of the muscles and joints working together properly we don’t hurt our bodies. I find this to be generally true. There are other good, body-sparing swing methods. It’s never too early to investigate.

I keep flexible. I do floor exercises 3X/wk - 10 minutes, all good. Very important, very simple.

I walk the golf course as often as I can. For me, good golf requires strong legs and good flexibility.

In the end, it’s a gradually losing battle - we lose distance, we are more injury prone. The good news is that if we were good players to begin with we had way more distance than we ever needed. I still hit the ball plenty far to be a scratch player, from a pure distance standpoint. One of my best friends is pushing 80 and he hits it further than I do. And he is just a normal physical specimen, but with great swing mechanics.

Equipment. Yes. It can really help. I take full advantage of any technology that I feel will help me get the ball high, far, straight. I was recently fitted for a new driver. It is 15 yards longer, I swear, and higher, and it shouldn’t be this way, but it is. I can’t explain it, previous bad fitting I suppose. The head cannot possibly be hotter because of COR limitations. I think it must be the shaft, a very light weight with senior flex. It is whippy and weird feeling. But you can just feel it unload, and the ball goes straight - magic. I went to the new players distance irons. One club more distance, high, ball still stops. Viola, young again.

Did my interest go down? No. Up. This is a game for life. Endlessly complex and challenging. I could not care less about competition. I could not care more about self-improvement. Golf provides me a method of self-improvement, which gives me satisfaction, which provides meaning to my life.

I play 2-3X/wk. Seldom more. Old people probably play too much. They must be bored. I know guys who play 5/6/7X/wk. I think you get stale. I think it hurts the body.

Tim, you are a forward thinker, you see it coming. The one thing that you have said that in all candor gives me a bit of pause, as you look forward, is the one-dimensional focus. There is more to it all than golf. Something may happen to your body, and you can’t golf anymore. You seem, like me, to be into self-improvement. There are other avenues. The old saying is that we are good at what we like. In general I think that this is exactly wrong; I think we like what we are good at. What else are you good at? Find it, and go after it, and you will enjoy and appreciate golf even more, or I miss my guess.

I just mean guys who really take the game serious. There are plenty of guys who just play for fun and some good times with some friends and a little exercise. They don't really care if they get better. That's ok with me. Nothing wrong with that.

I agree that, honestly my ball striking has never been better. For me to get lower now it's all about short game and putting. Good comments and thank you

Good perspective. At this point I feel good but I agree that some other things to balance myself is good. I really pushed this past year because I wanted to compete again in the State Am series. My game wasn't good enough so I pushed it extra hard. I have been away from competing for about 4 years. I miss it. I'm gonna play though in the senior division instead of the regular. I have already mapped out a schedule for this. I'll work much more on my short game next year. My swing is about where I want it.

I'm one of those guys who needs a reason to keep improving. Competing gives me the focus and reason.

Anyway, very good thoughts.

Thank you