2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Cold temperature and Junior Golf Tournaments

tiger1873

We played this past weekend and let's just say it way too cold me since temperatures dipped in the low 40's. Very tough to play in those conditions when you are used to playing in 70's and 80's. In those lower temperatures it seemed like everyone's scores just got worse. I was surprised at how much distance get's lost with cold weather. I am not sure the real reason but it seems to be a combination of things , Extra clothing, and the ball being dead to plain uncomfortableness of being outside in chilly weather.

To me it seems like you want to play in tournaments with a good chance of weather above 50 degreess

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't speak to the physics of it or the true impact of playing in colder weather but this past weekend I played with my normal group first off before sunlight at about 50 degrees. (3 over with 3 doubles and 2 bogies) On the fourth hole I hit my normal 5 iron out there and had my normal 140 in. Later that afternoon when it climbed to 85 I went back out and played with my son and hit that same normal five iron off of the fourth tee and only had 100 in. I literally had to club down one or two clubs the entire afternoon from what I would normally hit in the much cooler temps of our dewsweeper group... I scored much worse in warmer temps because I wasn't used to playing during the day.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

A big impact on loss of distance is cold weather is air density. Cold air is more dense and creates more friction. Additional factors, as you mentioned, are the muscles are as loose and extra clothing comes into play. I think there is some rule of thumb as to how much ball speed is lost for each 10 degrees colder, but I don't recall it exactly. Nonetheless, my personal opinion is that it is great for development of the serious junior golfer to play in all types of weather (and all types of grass, etc.).

> @wlm said:

> A big impact on loss of distance is cold weather is air density. Cold air is more dense and creates more friction. Additional factors, as you mentioned, are the muscles are as loose and extra clothing comes into play. I think there is some rule of thumb as to how much ball speed is lost for each 10 degrees colder, but I don't recall it exactly. Nonetheless, my personal opinion is that it is great for development of the serious junior golfer to play in all types of weather (and all types of grass, etc.).

We seen a huge loss in yardage since we played in temperature close to 80 just a few days before. I went up north this time of year because I recalled a college coach saying they want to see if a player could play in all kinds of weather. I sort realized real quick that it going to be a challenging weekend.

I do think it was a great learning experience because it hit home that distances for that day matter and you have to adjust. You have to play in all kids of weather. Could do without the rain though and just overall miserable weather we had to deal with this last weekend.

My HS kids play in April and May here in Indiana so the weather is a major factor.

My take...

Prepare your mind before getting off the bus. Some kids will fold as soon as they step outside and others will embrace the challenge. Which are you?

Get warm BEFORE you tee off or you may never get there.

If sunny, and you don't wear sunglasses, wear a knit sock hat over your golf hat so the visor blocks the sun.

Base layer should be a wicking long sleeve shirt with another long sleeve shirt over it if it's really cold. Add a warm vest to free your arms. Neck gators will keep the wind off your neck.

If it's raining, make sure your outer gear is waterproof.

Bring extra clothes to change into at the turn IF needed.

Disposable hand warmers come in handy.

Chicken noodle soup in a thermos for heating your core and nourishment.

BE PATIENT!

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

> @yellowlover519 said:

> Northeast events in the fall and spring can get cold. I remember one US Kids event in the 30s and there was light snow. A lot of hand warmers. I find it funny that people out west and the south think anything under 50s is too cold.

???? Anything under 70 for me.... lol... seriously though, anything under 60 and I am not going outside. 50's in Florida is colder that 50's up north because of the High Humidity coupled by the winds off the coast. Winter months are our windiest months. I visit my daughter in Charlotte and I am fine outside in the 40's. At home in Florida I hate being outside even in the low 60's.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Coaching High School golf in Alabama we start the third week of January and normally don't have a match above the 50s until March at the earliest and many of our matches are played in the 30s. Personally, I walked 18 in 45 degree weather yesterday and it felt marvelous. I had to club down 1 club on every shot but it was fine. Simple rules I give my golfers and also give to my son.

1) Whatever your normal 150 club is, go on the range and hit it and adjust based around this to get a decent idea of what you are going to hit and how many clubs to club down, if any.

2) Everyone else is dealing with the same weather effects so no need to freak out just play the course the best you can and fight through any issues.

3) Playing in 40 is better than playing in 95. You can always layer and make yourself warm, you can't cool off in the middle of a golf course with the sun baking you.

4) If the course is dormant use it to your advantage. Off the tee hit everything low and let it run.

> @yellowlover519 said:

> Northeast events in the fall and spring can get cold. I remember one US Kids event in the 30s and there was light snow. A lot of hand warmers. I find it funny that people out west and the south think anything under 50s is too cold.

Southerner, deep south Alabama at that, here and give me 30s and 40s over 90s ANY DAY! You can make yourself warm with proper clothing and prep, you can't cool down if its 95 with the sun destroying you.

Being from Canada I have no sympathy

I played university golf in the Fall up here. 40 was not awful. I can recall one event with some rain, freezing rain, hail and even some light snow .. background noise baby! It's the same for everyone

Cold is like rain. Get used to it

There are all sorts of charts on line talking about distance loss in certain temp ranges and elevations

We had a freak freeze up here last week, my cantilivered dock at the cottage was frozen into the lake and we had to chop it out with axes to raise it. We can normally golf at this time of year.

a2ocbn09u6e4.jpg

It's 34* today with no wind, totally playable is the snow would just melt off

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Playing in the cold is all fun but the real issue I see when you end up playing in sub 50 degree tempurture> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > @yellowlover519 said:

> > Northeast events in the fall and spring can get cold. I remember one US Kids event in the 30s and there was light snow. A lot of hand warmers. I find it funny that people out west and the south think anything under 50s is too cold.

>

> Southerner, deep south Alabama at that, here and give me 30s and 40s over 90s ANY DAY! You can make yourself warm with proper clothing and prep, you can't cool down if its 95 with the sun destroying you.

Here is the thing I see unless your talking about temps above a 100 you way better off in the 90's. At 40 degrees it becomes a lot harder to spin and work the ball and that will result in higher scores for sure.

Since JGS doesn't account for weather those bad rounds played in low temps will almost certainly make you higher ranked then you should be and miss out on better tournaments.

> @tiger1873 said:

> Playing in the cold is all fun but the real issue I see when you end up playing in sub 50 degree tempurture> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > @yellowlover519 said:

> > > Northeast events in the fall and spring can get cold. I remember one US Kids event in the 30s and there was light snow. A lot of hand warmers. I find it funny that people out west and the south think anything under 50s is too cold.

> >

> > Southerner, deep south Alabama at that, here and give me 30s and 40s over 90s ANY DAY! You can make yourself warm with proper clothing and prep, you can't cool down if its 95 with the sun destroying you.

>

> Here is the thing I see unless your talking about temps above a 100 you way better off in the 90's. At 40 degrees it becomes a lot harder to spin and work the ball and that will result in higher scores for sure.

>

> Since JGS doesn't account for weather those bad rounds played in low temps will almost certainly make you higher ranked then you should be and miss out on better tournaments.

>

>

I was just talking about personal comfort; however, if you are going to go into that aspect, walking 18 holes, pushing or carrying a bag in 90 degree heat is FAR more taxing physically than walking it in 40 degree weather. If you are going to start bringing in weather as a factor for JGS rankings you are going to have both sides of the coin. I think we will all agree that 60-85 is a golden zone for golf; however, both extremes bring in different dynamics and you simply have to account for them.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > Playing in the cold is all fun but the real issue I see when you end up playing in sub 50 degree tempurture> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > @yellowlover519 said:

> > > > Northeast events in the fall and spring can get cold. I remember one US Kids event in the 30s and there was light snow. A lot of hand warmers. I find it funny that people out west and the south think anything under 50s is too cold.

> > >

> > > Southerner, deep south Alabama at that, here and give me 30s and 40s over 90s ANY DAY! You can make yourself warm with proper clothing and prep, you can't cool down if its 95 with the sun destroying you.

> >

> > Here is the thing I see unless your talking about temps above a 100 you way better off in the 90's. At 40 degrees it becomes a lot harder to spin and work the ball and that will result in higher scores for sure.

> >

> > Since JGS doesn't account for weather those bad rounds played in low temps will almost certainly make you higher ranked then you should be and miss out on better tournaments.

> >

> >

>

> I was just talking about personal comfort; however, if you are going to go into that aspect, walking 18 holes, pushing or carrying a bag in 90 degree heat is FAR more taxing physically than walking it in 40 degree weather. If you are going to start bringing in weather as a factor for JGS rankings you are going to have both sides of the coin. I think we will all agree that 60-85 is a golden zone for golf; however, both extremes bring in different dynamics and you simply have to account for them.

I always though it takes more energy to keep your body warm in cold weather than it does to keep it cool in warmer weather.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > Playing in the cold is all fun but the real issue I see when you end up playing in sub 50 degree tempurture> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > @yellowlover519 said:

> > > > Northeast events in the fall and spring can get cold. I remember one US Kids event in the 30s and there was light snow. A lot of hand warmers. I find it funny that people out west and the south think anything under 50s is too cold.

> > >

> > > Southerner, deep south Alabama at that, here and give me 30s and 40s over 90s ANY DAY! You can make yourself warm with proper clothing and prep, you can't cool down if its 95 with the sun destroying you.

> >

> > Here is the thing I see unless your talking about temps above a 100 you way better off in the 90's. At 40 degrees it becomes a lot harder to spin and work the ball and that will result in higher scores for sure.

> >

> > Since JGS doesn't account for weather those bad rounds played in low temps will almost certainly make you higher ranked then you should be and miss out on better tournaments.

> >

> >

>

> I was just talking about personal comfort; however, if you are going to go into that aspect, walking 18 holes, pushing or carrying a bag in 90 degree heat is FAR more taxing physically than walking it in 40 degree weather. If you are going to start bringing in weather as a factor for JGS rankings you are going to have both sides of the coin. I think we will all agree that 60-85 is a golden zone for golf; however, both extremes bring in different dynamics and you simply have to account for the

I do agree both are extremes and JGS has some issues dealing with weather and rankings. The 90's is not much an issue and course conditions can be quite good so I would think the 40's make's it tougher to play because so many courses where you can play in the winter have bermuda on them and that will be going dormant in cold weather. Bentgrass greens are probaly not as much of an issue.

In extreme weather cases I wish JGS would just ignore the scores or allow tournaments to hold two 9 hole events that would not count for scores.

RE bad weather for Junior Tmnts- what came to my mind was that quote by Jack Nicklaus. I dont have time to look it up but basically it said this : He could pretty much narrow down the real contenders in any tournament by walking through the locker room and listening -the ones complaining about it being cold, hot, rough too long, greens too slow, bad tee time draw, bad pairing, whatever - he knew that those guys already more than likely defeated themselves. Point being You sign up for a tournament and you get what you get. I try to nip my son quickly whenever he may even makes mention of it being cold, hot, whatever. Remind him of the above and try to turn it into confidence & motivation. * The thread has turned into a poll of who prefers hot or cold....for that my vote is Hot, haha"

> @leezer99 said:

> > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > Playing in the cold is all fun but the real issue I see when you end up playing in sub 50 degree tempurture> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > > @yellowlover519 said:

> > > > > Northeast events in the fall and spring can get cold. I remember one US Kids event in the 30s and there was light snow. A lot of hand warmers. I find it funny that people out west and the south think anything under 50s is too cold.

> > > >

> > > > Southerner, deep south Alabama at that, here and give me 30s and 40s over 90s ANY DAY! You can make yourself warm with proper clothing and prep, you can't cool down if its 95 with the sun destroying you.

> > >

> > > Here is the thing I see unless your talking about temps above a 100 you way better off in the 90's. At 40 degrees it becomes a lot harder to spin and work the ball and that will result in higher scores for sure.

> > >

> > > Since JGS doesn't account for weather those bad rounds played in low temps will almost certainly make you higher ranked then you should be and miss out on better tournaments.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > I was just talking about personal comfort; however, if you are going to go into that aspect, walking 18 holes, pushing or carrying a bag in 90 degree heat is FAR more taxing physically than walking it in 40 degree weather. If you are going to start bringing in weather as a factor for JGS rankings you are going to have both sides of the coin. I think we will all agree that 60-85 is a golden zone for golf; however, both extremes bring in different dynamics and you simply have to account for them.

>

> I always though it takes more energy to keep your body warm in cold weather than it does to keep it cool in warmer weather.

You can use outside influences (jackets, thermals, etc) to keep warm and look at most outdoor sports. Typically better performance in cooler weather. I can say personally walking 18 in 90 is unbearable. Walking 18 in 40 yesterday was just dandy.

> @hangontight said:

> RE bad weather for Junior Tmnts- what came to my mind was that quote by Jack Nicklaus. I dont have time to look it up but basically it said this : He could pretty much narrow down the real contenders in any tournament by walking through the locker room and listening -the ones complaining about it being cold, hot, rough too long, greens too slow, bad tee time draw, bad pairing, whatever - he knew that those guys already more than likely defeated themselves. Point being You sign up for a tournament and you get what you get. I try to nip my son quickly whenever he may even makes mention of it being cold, hot, whatever. Remind him of the above and try to turn it into confidence & motivation. * The thread has turned into a poll of who prefers hot or cold....for that my vote is Hot, haha"

BK did an interview with Barstool this year (the one on a boat) where he basically said that the majors are the easiest to win. He said, half the field doesn't have a chance, about 50 of the 70 remaining will fall out and then you're only playing against something like 20 guys that could actually win it.

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > Playing in the cold is all fun but the real issue I see when you end up playing in sub 50 degree tempurture> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > > @yellowlover519 said:

> > > > > Northeast events in the fall and spring can get cold. I remember one US Kids event in the 30s and there was light snow. A lot of hand warmers. I find it funny that people out west and the south think anything under 50s is too cold.

> > > >

> > > > Southerner, deep south Alabama at that, here and give me 30s and 40s over 90s ANY DAY! You can make yourself warm with proper clothing and prep, you can't cool down if its 95 with the sun destroying you.

> > >

> > > Here is the thing I see unless your talking about temps above a 100 you way better off in the 90's. At 40 degrees it becomes a lot harder to spin and work the ball and that will result in higher scores for sure.

> > >

> > > Since JGS doesn't account for weather those bad rounds played in low temps will almost certainly make you higher ranked then you should be and miss out on better tournaments.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > I was just talking about personal comfort; however, if you are going to go into that aspect, walking 18 holes, pushing or carrying a bag in 90 degree heat is FAR more taxing physically than walking it in 40 degree weather. If you are going to start bringing in weather as a factor for JGS rankings you are going to have both sides of the coin. I think we will all agree that 60-85 is a golden zone for golf; however, both extremes bring in different dynamics and you simply have to account for the

>

>

> I do agree both are extremes and JGS has some issues dealing with weather and rankings. The 90's is not much an issue and course conditions can be quite good so I would think the 40's make's it tougher to play because so many courses where you can play in the winter have bermuda on them and that will be going dormant in cold weather. Bentgrass greens are probaly not as much of an issue.

>

> In extreme weather cases I wish JGS would just ignore the scores or allow tournaments to hold two 9 hole events that would not count for scores.

You are focusing solely on course conditions and again not taking into account that in physiology terms playing 4 hours of golf and walking 7000 yards carrying or pushing a bag is a brutal task. Also dormant courses can have their competitive advantages. I am not arguing for either hot or cold, just saying both extremes can cause competitive issues.

> @hangontight said:

> RE bad weather for Junior Tmnts- what came to my mind was that quote by Jack Nicklaus. I dont have time to look it up but basically it said this : He could pretty much narrow down the real contenders in any tournament by walking through the locker room and listening -the ones complaining about it being cold, hot, rough too long, greens too slow, bad tee time draw, bad pairing, whatever - he knew that those guys already more than likely defeated themselves. Point being You sign up for a tournament and you get what you get. I try to nip my son quickly whenever he may even makes mention of it being cold, hot, whatever. Remind him of the above and try to turn it into confidence & motivation. * The thread has turned into a poll of who prefers hot or cold....for that my vote is Hot, haha"

I don't disagree with this statement. But at the same time you do choose WHERE YOU ARE GOING TO PLAY. For instance there are lots of tournaments in Pinehurst in January. I don't think the average temperature is very good there that time of year. On the other hand I could easily play PGA National in south florida or something in Orlando the same time of year. The odds are we not going to get that extreme unless it is unusual event.

Looking at national tournaments where I am going to have to travelI think come Nov through april you don't want to be north of I-40 and preferably south of I20 in the winter. In the summer in late July and August I would think above I-80 sounds about correct.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > Playing in the cold is all fun but the real issue I see when you end up playing in sub 50 degree tempurture> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > > > @yellowlover519 said:

> > > > > > Northeast events in the fall and spring can get cold. I remember one US Kids event in the 30s and there was light snow. A lot of hand warmers. I find it funny that people out west and the south think anything under 50s is too cold.

> > > > >

> > > > > Southerner, deep south Alabama at that, here and give me 30s and 40s over 90s ANY DAY! You can make yourself warm with proper clothing and prep, you can't cool down if its 95 with the sun destroying you.

> > > >

> > > > Here is the thing I see unless your talking about temps above a 100 you way better off in the 90's. At 40 degrees it becomes a lot harder to spin and work the ball and that will result in higher scores for sure.

> > > >

> > > > Since JGS doesn't account for weather those bad rounds played in low temps will almost certainly make you higher ranked then you should be and miss out on better tournaments.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > I was just talking about personal comfort; however, if you are going to go into that aspect, walking 18 holes, pushing or carrying a bag in 90 degree heat is FAR more taxing physically than walking it in 40 degree weather. If you are going to start bringing in weather as a factor for JGS rankings you are going to have both sides of the coin. I think we will all agree that 60-85 is a golden zone for golf; however, both extremes bring in different dynamics and you simply have to account for the

> >

> >

> > I do agree both are extremes and JGS has some issues dealing with weather and rankings. The 90's is not much an issue and course conditions can be quite good so I would think the 40's make's it tougher to play because so many courses where you can play in the winter have bermuda on them and that will be going dormant in cold weather. Bentgrass greens are probaly not as much of an issue.

> >

> > In extreme weather cases I wish JGS would just ignore the scores or allow tournaments to hold two 9 hole events that would not count for scores.

>

> You are focusing solely on course conditions and again not taking into account that in physiology terms playing 4 hours of golf and walking 7000 yards carrying or pushing a bag is a brutal task. Also dormant courses can have their competitive advantages. I am not arguing for either hot or cold, just saying both extremes can cause competitive issues.

I live in south florida and to be honest I think most us who live here play in the 90's most of the year. It's hot humid and brutal in the summer but it's never too hot you can't play and if your walking you don't carry your clubs you use a push cart. Now if we are talking about above 100 it a much bigger problem in places like Phoenix and palm springs you really shouldn't play without a cart in the summer and plenty of ice in a cooler.

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > > Playing in the cold is all fun but the real issue I see when you end up playing in sub 50 degree tempurture> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > > > > @yellowlover519 said:

> > > > > > > Northeast events in the fall and spring can get cold. I remember one US Kids event in the 30s and there was light snow. A lot of hand warmers. I find it funny that people out west and the south think anything under 50s is too cold.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Southerner, deep south Alabama at that, here and give me 30s and 40s over 90s ANY DAY! You can make yourself warm with proper clothing and prep, you can't cool down if its 95 with the sun destroying you.

> > > > >

> > > > > Here is the thing I see unless your talking about temps above a 100 you way better off in the 90's. At 40 degrees it becomes a lot harder to spin and work the ball and that will result in higher scores for sure.

> > > > >

> > > > > Since JGS doesn't account for weather those bad rounds played in low temps will almost certainly make you higher ranked then you should be and miss out on better tournaments.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > I was just talking about personal comfort; however, if you are going to go into that aspect, walking 18 holes, pushing or carrying a bag in 90 degree heat is FAR more taxing physically than walking it in 40 degree weather. If you are going to start bringing in weather as a factor for JGS rankings you are going to have both sides of the coin. I think we will all agree that 60-85 is a golden zone for golf; however, both extremes bring in different dynamics and you simply have to account for the

> > >

> > >

> > > I do agree both are extremes and JGS has some issues dealing with weather and rankings. The 90's is not much an issue and course conditions can be quite good so I would think the 40's make's it tougher to play because so many courses where you can play in the winter have bermuda on them and that will be going dormant in cold weather. Bentgrass greens are probaly not as much of an issue.

> > >

> > > In extreme weather cases I wish JGS would just ignore the scores or allow tournaments to hold two 9 hole events that would not count for scores.

> >

> > You are focusing solely on course conditions and again not taking into account that in physiology terms playing 4 hours of golf and walking 7000 yards carrying or pushing a bag is a brutal task. Also dormant courses can have their competitive advantages. I am not arguing for either hot or cold, just saying both extremes can cause competitive issues.

>

> I live in south florida and to be honest I think most us who live here play in the 90's most of the year. It's hot humid and brutal in the summer but it's never too hot you can't play and if your walking you don't carry your clubs you use a push cart. Now if we are talking about above 100 it a much bigger problem in places like Phoenix and palm springs you really shouldn't play without a cart in the summer and plenty of ice in a cooler.

Middle of Alabama so we are in the same boat with the vast majority of days in the summer well over 90 with a heat index pushing triple digits. I use a push cart regardless when I walk (I don't see why anyone still carries at this point) and still 90+ is tough to do 18 just because the heat saps your body. This summer really beat up our Junior League golfers as we did not have a match outside of 95+ degrees.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > > > Playing in the cold is all fun but the real issue I see when you end up playing in sub 50 degree tempurture> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > > > > > @yellowlover519 said:

> > > > > > > > Northeast events in the fall and spring can get cold. I remember one US Kids event in the 30s and there was light snow. A lot of hand warmers. I find it funny that people out west and the south think anything under 50s is too cold.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Southerner, deep south Alabama at that, here and give me 30s and 40s over 90s ANY DAY! You can make yourself warm with proper clothing and prep, you can't cool down if its 95 with the sun destroying you.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Here is the thing I see unless your talking about temps above a 100 you way better off in the 90's. At 40 degrees it becomes a lot harder to spin and work the ball and that will result in higher scores for sure.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Since JGS doesn't account for weather those bad rounds played in low temps will almost certainly make you higher ranked then you should be and miss out on better tournaments.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > I was just talking about personal comfort; however, if you are going to go into that aspect, walking 18 holes, pushing or carrying a bag in 90 degree heat is FAR more taxing physically than walking it in 40 degree weather. If you are going to start bringing in weather as a factor for JGS rankings you are going to have both sides of the coin. I think we will all agree that 60-85 is a golden zone for golf; however, both extremes bring in different dynamics and you simply have to account for the

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > I do agree both are extremes and JGS has some issues dealing with weather and rankings. The 90's is not much an issue and course conditions can be quite good so I would think the 40's make's it tougher to play because so many courses where you can play in the winter have bermuda on them and that will be going dormant in cold weather. Bentgrass greens are probaly not as much of an issue.

> > > >

> > > > In extreme weather cases I wish JGS would just ignore the scores or allow tournaments to hold two 9 hole events that would not count for scores.

> > >

> > > You are focusing solely on course conditions and again not taking into account that in physiology terms playing 4 hours of golf and walking 7000 yards carrying or pushing a bag is a brutal task. Also dormant courses can have their competitive advantages. I am not arguing for either hot or cold, just saying both extremes can cause competitive issues.

> >

> > I live in south florida and to be honest I think most us who live here play in the 90's most of the year. It's hot humid and brutal in the summer but it's never too hot you can't play and if your walking you don't carry your clubs you use a push cart. Now if we are talking about above 100 it a much bigger problem in places like Phoenix and palm springs you really shouldn't play without a cart in the summer and plenty of ice in a cooler.

>

> Middle of Alabama so we are in the same boat with the vast majority of days in the summer well over 90 with a heat index pushing triple digits. I use a push cart regardless when I walk (I don't see why anyone still carries at this point) and still 90+ is tough to do 18 just because the heat saps your body. This summer really beat up our Junior League golfers as we did not have a match outside of 95+ degrees.

I think playing in tournaments above 90 degree's must have skill for any junior who is serious. Most kids have a hard time and it is an issue. A lot big tournaments are played in that type of weather and you can score well. I also think that on low side you need perform for sure above 45 but at least 50 degree's

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > > > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > > > > Playing in the cold is all fun but the real issue I see when you end up playing in sub 50 degree tempurture> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > > > > > > @yellowlover519 said:

> > > > > > > > > Northeast events in the fall and spring can get cold. I remember one US Kids event in the 30s and there was light snow. A lot of hand warmers. I find it funny that people out west and the south think anything under 50s is too cold.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Southerner, deep south Alabama at that, here and give me 30s and 40s over 90s ANY DAY! You can make yourself warm with proper clothing and prep, you can't cool down if its 95 with the sun destroying you.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Here is the thing I see unless your talking about temps above a 100 you way better off in the 90's. At 40 degrees it becomes a lot harder to spin and work the ball and that will result in higher scores for sure.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Since JGS doesn't account for weather those bad rounds played in low temps will almost certainly make you higher ranked then you should be and miss out on better tournaments.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I was just talking about personal comfort; however, if you are going to go into that aspect, walking 18 holes, pushing or carrying a bag in 90 degree heat is FAR more taxing physically than walking it in 40 degree weather. If you are going to start bringing in weather as a factor for JGS rankings you are going to have both sides of the coin. I think we will all agree that 60-85 is a golden zone for golf; however, both extremes bring in different dynamics and you simply have to account for the

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > I do agree both are extremes and JGS has some issues dealing with weather and rankings. The 90's is not much an issue and course conditions can be quite good so I would think the 40's make's it tougher to play because so many courses where you can play in the winter have bermuda on them and that will be going dormant in cold weather. Bentgrass greens are probaly not as much of an issue.

> > > > >

> > > > > In extreme weather cases I wish JGS would just ignore the scores or allow tournaments to hold two 9 hole events that would not count for scores.

> > > >

> > > > You are focusing solely on course conditions and again not taking into account that in physiology terms playing 4 hours of golf and walking 7000 yards carrying or pushing a bag is a brutal task. Also dormant courses can have their competitive advantages. I am not arguing for either hot or cold, just saying both extremes can cause competitive issues.

> > >

> > > I live in south florida and to be honest I think most us who live here play in the 90's most of the year. It's hot humid and brutal in the summer but it's never too hot you can't play and if your walking you don't carry your clubs you use a push cart. Now if we are talking about above 100 it a much bigger problem in places like Phoenix and palm springs you really shouldn't play without a cart in the summer and plenty of ice in a cooler.

> >

> > Middle of Alabama so we are in the same boat with the vast majority of days in the summer well over 90 with a heat index pushing triple digits. I use a push cart regardless when I walk (I don't see why anyone still carries at this point) and still 90+ is tough to do 18 just because the heat saps your body. This summer really beat up our Junior League golfers as we did not have a match outside of 95+ degrees.

>

> I think playing in tournaments above 90 degree's must have skill for any junior who is serious. Most kids have a hard time and it is an issue. A lot big tournaments are played in that type of weather and you can score well. I also think that on low side you need perform for sure above 45 but at least 50 degree's

>

>

>

Don't quite get the logic in saying you have to be able to play above 90 but somehow below 45 is off limits. How about any junior needs to be able to score regardless of conditions. You can score in below 45 degree weather just like you can in any other weather. I have played and coached a ton of golf in low 40s and upper 30s and it is not nearly as detrimental to ball flight or ability to score as you are making it out to be. Either way this is becoming terribly circular at this point. Either way, both extremes cause challenges but scoring should not be your goal at a tournament, beating your opponent should. Simple as that.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

>Either way, both extremes cause challenges but scoring >should not be your goal at a tournament, beating your >opponent should. Simple as that.

You can’t control how well anyone else score’s on the course that day. In tournament golf you goal should be to shoot the lowest score you possibly can on that day. Your playing against the course and not anyone else.

You win tournaments because you know what you can score a certain and it happens to be lower then anyone else.

If you compete with others trying to be under them you already lost.

This is why temps matter extra cold or extra hot and the realistic score will jump.

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> >Either way, both extremes cause challenges but scoring >should not be your goal at a tournament, beating your >opponent should. Simple as that.

>

>

> You can’t control how well anyone else score’s on the course that day. In tournament golf you goal should be to shoot the lowest score you possibly can on that day. Your playing against the course and not anyone else.

>

>

> You win tournaments because you know what you can score a certain and it happens to be lower then anyone else.

>

> If you compete with others trying to be under them you already lost.

>

> This is why temps matter extra cold or extra hot and the realistic score will jump.

Of course your goal should be to score what you can that day but it doesn't matter if -10 or +3 wins the tournament that day if you score the best of anyone out of the field that day you won the tournament and that is what matters. That is why this obsession you seem to have with cold weather effecting scores doesn't really matter because it is something that effects every player on the course equally, just like heat. You don't need to worry about the conditions and where you play, as you stated above, if you can simply play golf. If the cold weather affects the scores by 3 strokes it is effecting every one the same. The AGA, PGA, USGA, and R&A don't have scoring handicaps based on weather because it is an equal determinant for everyone. Also, sorry but in tournament golf you are playing against the course AND your opponents. If I have a 3 stroke lead standing on the last hole you better believe I am playing that hole differently than if I was down a stroke.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > >Either way, both extremes cause challenges but scoring >should not be your goal at a tournament, beating your >opponent should. Simple as that.

> >

> >

> > You can’t control how well anyone else score’s on the course that day. In tournament golf you goal should be to shoot the lowest score you possibly can on that day. Your playing against the course and not anyone else.

> >

> >

> > You win tournaments because you know what you can score a certain and it happens to be lower then anyone else.

> >

> > If you compete with others trying to be under them you already lost.

> >

> > This is why temps matter extra cold or extra hot and the realistic score will jump.

>

> Of course your goal should be to score what you can that day but it doesn't matter if -10 or +3 wins the tournament that day if you score the best of anyone out of the field that day you won the tournament and that is what matters. That is why this obsession you seem to have with cold weather effecting scores doesn't really matter because it is something that effects every player on the course equally, just like heat. You don't need to worry about the conditions and where you play, as you stated above, if you can simply play golf. If the cold weather affects the scores by 3 strokes it is effecting every one the same. The AGA, PGA, USGA, and R&A don't have scoring handicaps based on weather because it is an equal determinant for everyone. Also, sorry but in tournament golf you are playing against the course AND your opponents. If I have a 3 stroke lead standing on the last hole you better believe I am playing that hole differently than if I was down a stroke.

Score matters when it comes to JGS ranking.