2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

My 36 hour trip to Kiawah 11/15/19-11/20/19

socccer4life3

Just got back from a 36 hour trip trip to Kiawah and figured i would share my experience. The pictures are on my phone and i am way to lazy to try and get them on the computer.

Anyways, a buddy of mine and i booked the Golf or Gourmet package when it first came out and were able to book the first weekend available. For those that aren't familiar with it, you get 2 rounds of golf, and 2 nights stay for $500 total for two people. Costs an extra $50 pp ($100 total) to play the ocean course per round. So we booked ocean course one round and Osprey the other. I had been watching the weather all week and the forecast for rain. To be more specific there was an average of 98% chance of rain on Friday, and slightly less than that on saturday. Couple that with a high of 52 on Friday and 48 on Saturday, i didn't think we were getting in much golf.

Flight was smooth, about an hour and a half on Jet blue and we were on the ground around 7:30. We met a guy in the airport who recommended Cougar over Osprey so i made a call and changed our Saturday round. Got our clubs and tried to request an Uber, but it was going to be 22 minutes until it got to the airport, and was going to be $65 to get us to Kiawah. A quick google search and found a car from Alamo all i for $85. SOLD!

Rental car was fine, get to check in and get our keys at about 9ish maybe 930? don't really remember exactly. The women at the check in center informed us that it was about a 20 minute drive to the Ocean course where we had an 11:10 tee time. Get to to villa and our keys don't work. Long story short we didn't have time to wait for security, so we took all our crap over to the Ocean course with us. Got the clubs unpacked and checked in and asked about any open tee times on the ocean course for Saturday's round. We locked up an 8:40 tee time just in case we deided we wanted to play it again but still hadn't cancelled our original time at cougar. and changed in the locker room. The staff here is top notch and very friendly. Hit some balls on the range and met our caddy for the day named Danny.

My buddy had forgotten his glasses somehow (guess thats what happens when you have a 5am flight), and he had informed Danny prior to the round that he wasn't going to be able to follow the ball in the air, or see where it lands. Danny seemed fine with that. It was now 11:05 and time to get on the shuttle to the first hole. This having been my first time at the Ocean course i had just assumed the first tee was around a corner somewhere. A short shuttle ride later and we are on the first tee, and the rain is coming down. Finished 9 and there was another shuttle waiting for us to take us to 10. I wont bore you with the details of the round, but we had a great time. Even though the weather didn't' cooperate we still had a blast. On about the 4th hole we decided we were going to play the ocean course again on Saturday. Danny our caddy was great, we asked him if he was around Saturday to caddy for us again. Went inside, cancelled Cougar, showered and changed in the locker room and went over to the ryder cup bar for dinner.

Sat at the bar and the food was pretty good, we both had burgers. I had 2 of their local beers and my buddy had one of their cocktails. After dinner we went back to check in, went over to the supermarket to pick up some granola bars and breakfast etc and then back to check in to get keys. Finally around 7:30 we were able to see our villa for the first time. I was pretty impressed with it, it was a 1 bedroom 1 bathroom villa with a full kitchen, living room and screened in porch. I lost the flip so i ended up sleeping on the couch which all in all wasn't bad.

Up around 7am the next morning for our second round at the ocean course, where believe it or not the weather was even worse than the previous day. We went out as a 2 some, and there was another 2 some that went out ahead of us but we never saw them the entire round, and only once or twice saw another group out there the entire day. Felt like we had the course to ourselves. Danny was once again our caddy and we had another great day. Around the 14th hole i could no longer feel my fingers, from the combination of rain and cold but what can you do. Friday's round was slightly under 5 hours, and this one maybe 4:30. We were really taking our time, and hitting some extra puts etc. When you have the course to yourselves there really is no reason to rush.

Finished up the round, showered in the locker rooms, packed up our bags and headed back to the villa one last time. Pakced up a few remaining things and headed over to the check in center to check out. WHile the special comes with 2 nights we were only staying 1 night. We checked out and headed to the airport.

Skipped some of the boring details but the things to take away from this trip are:

1) Danny was an awesome caddy, great guy, been there 11 years, has knowledge of the course, very friendly etc. Can't say enough about him and when i go back i will defintitely try an dhave him as my caddy

2) 36 hours was a short trip, but well worth it. Flights from NYC to CHS were roughly $100 R/T

3) we got very unlucky with the weather, they said it was the worst 2 days weather wise all year. a few days prior to our arrival it was 70 and sunny, and the day after we left it was in the 60s

4) Can't wait to go back

If you have any questions feel free to ask. It was a great experience and will try and do it again before the end of February

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going this weekend, 4th year going. For anyone reading this just a heads up - It is almost impossible to uber out of Kiawah. Getting there is fine, but there really aren't any ubers on the Island so you are F'd and have to most likely get a "limo" - black car, ordered from the front desk. $200 bucks or so. So that 20 minute uber wait saved you a headache at the end of your trip. The first time I went I made that mistake and my caddie ended up driving me to the airport (he lived by it so it worked). 2nd if it is your first time you should definitely play the Ocean Course twice.

There are options for the package. So if you go the Players choice, then you need to add $ to play Ocean instead of one of the other courses.

Champions ChoiceIncludes accommodations and eithertwo rounds of golf at any courseOR two dinners at any resort restaurantOR one round of golf and one dinnerVillas from $300 per night*The Sanctuary from $400 per night*Players ChoiceIncludes accommodations and eithertwo rounds of golf at any course except The Ocean CourseOR two dinners at select resort restaurantsOR one round of golf and one dinnerVillas from $200 per night*The Sanctuary from $300 per night*

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Our picks

• 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open - Discussion and links to Photos
      Please put any questions or Comments here

General Albums

2024 Texas Children's Houston Open - Monday #1
      2024 Texas Children's Houston Open - Monday #2
      2024 Texas Children's Houston Open - Tuesday #1
      2024 Texas Children's Houston Open - Tuesday #2
      2024 Texas Children's Houston Open - Tuesday #3

WITB Albums

Thorbjorn Olesen - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Ben Silverman - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Jesse Droemer - SoTX PGA Section POY - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      David Lipsky - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Martin Trainer - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Zac Blair - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Jacob Bridgeman - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Trace Crowe - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Jimmy Walker - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Daniel Berger - WITB(very mini) - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Chesson Hadley - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Callum McNeill - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Rhein Gibson - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Patrick Fishburn - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Peter Malnati - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Raul Pereda - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Gary Woodland WITB (New driver, iron shafts) – 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Padraig Harrington WITB – 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open

Pullout Albums

Tom Hoge's custom Cameron - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Cameron putter - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Piretti putters - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Ping putter - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Kevin Dougherty's custom Cameron putter - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Bettinardi putter - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Cameron putter - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Erik Barnes testing an all-black Axis1 putter – 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Tony Finau's new driver shaft – 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open

• 9 replies
    • 2024 Valspar Championship WITB Photos (Thanks to bvmagic)- Discussion & Links to Photos
      This weeks WITB Pics are from member bvmagic (Brian). Brian's first event for WRX was in 2008 at Bayhill while in college. Thanks so much bv.

Please put your comments or question on this thread. Links to all the threads are below...

• 31 replies
    • 2024 Arnold Palmer Invitational - Discussion and Links to Photos
      Please put any questions or comments here

General Albums

2024 Arnold Palmer Invitational - Monday #1
      2024 Arnold Palmer Invitational - Monday #2
      2024 Arnold Palmer Invitational - Monday #3

WITB Albums

Matt (LFG) Every - WITB - 2024 Arnold Palmer Invitational
      Sahith Theegala - WITB - 2024 Arnold Palmer Invitational

Pullout Albums

New Cameron putters (and new "LD" grip) - 2024 Arnold Palmer Invitational
      New Bettinardi MB & CB irons - 2024 Arnold Palmer Invitational
      Custom Bettinardi API putter cover - 2024 Arnold Palmer Invitational
      Custom Swag API covers - 2024 Arnold Palmer Invitational
      New Golf Pride Reverse Taper grips - 2024 Arnold Palmer Invitational

• 15 replies
    • 2024 Cognizant Classic - Discussion and Links to Photos

General Albums

2024 Cognizant Classic - Monday #1
      2024 Cognizant Classic - Monday #2
      2024 Cognizant Classic - Monday #3
      2024 Cognizant Classic - Monday #4

WITB Albums

Brandt Snedeker - WITB - 2024 Cognizant Classic
      Max Greyserman - WITB - 2024 Cognizant Classic
      Eric Cole - WITB - 2024 Cognizant Classic
      Carl Yuan - WITb - 2024 Cognizant Classic
      Russell Henley - WITB - 2024 Cognizant Classic
      Justin Sun - WITB - 2024 Cognizant Classic
      Alex Noren - WITB - 2024 Cognizant Classic
      Shane Lowry - WITB - 2024 Cognizant Classic
      Taylor Montgomery - WITB - 2024 Cognizant Classic
      Jake Knapp (KnappTime_ltd) - WITB - - 2024 Cognizant Classic

Pullout Albums

New Super Stoke Pistol Lock 1.0 & 2.0 grips - 2024 Cognizant Classic
      LA Golf new insert putter - 2024 Cognizant Classic
      New Garsen Quad Tour 15 grip - 2024 Cognizant Classic
      New Swag covers - 2024 Cognizant Classic
      Jacob Bridgeman's custom Cameron putter - 2024 Cognizant Classic
      Bud Cauley's custom Cameron putters - 2024 Cognizant Classic
      Ryo Hisatsune's custom Cameron putter - 2024 Cognizant Classic
      Chris Kirk - new black Callaway Apex CB irons and a few Odyssey putters - 2024 Cognizant Classic
      Alejandro Tosti's custom Cameron putter - 2024 Cognizant Classic

• 2 replies
    • 2024 Genesis Invitational - Discussion and Links to Photos

General Albums

2024 Genesis Invitational - Monday #1
      2024 Genesis Invitational - Monday #2
      2024 Genesis Invitational - Tuesday #1
      2024 Genesis Invitational - Tuesday #2
      2024 Genesis Invitational - Tuesday #3
      2024 Genesis Invitational - Tuesday #4

WITB Albums

Rory McIlroy - WITB - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Sepp Straka - WITB - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Patrick Rodgers - WITB - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Brendon Todd - WITB - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Denny McCarthy - WITB - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Corey Conners - WITB - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Chase Johnson - WITB - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Tiger Woods - WITB - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Tommy Fleetwood - WITB - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Matt Fitzpatrick - WITB - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Si Woo Kim - WITB - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Viktor Hovland - WITB - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Wyndham Clark - WITB - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Cam Davis - WITB - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Nick Taylor - WITB - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Ben Baller WITB update (New putter, driver, hybrid and shafts) – 2024 Genesis Invitational

Pullout Albums

New Vortex Golf rangefinder - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      New Fujikura Ventus shaft - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Tiger Woods & TaylorMade "Sun Day Red" apparel launch event, product photos – 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Tiger Woods Sun Day Red golf shoes - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Aretera shafts - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      New Toulon putters - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Tiger Woods' new white "Sun Day Red" golf shoe prototypes – 2024 Genesis Invitational

• 22 replies